JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. In his prayer does David seek to minimize his sins? To maximize them? Why does an authentic prayer for pardon require clear, unvarnished acknowledgement of sin to be effective?

David didnot minimize or maximize his sins, he truthfully and sincerely admitted his faults. He was genuine that is what count. Understanding of God is really necessary here, even if David tried to hide he knows God had figured out what he did and got his punishment but for God to be merciful in delivering the judgement he must be sincere in and out with God.

You need to be clear with God if you want His mercy in His judgement. I cannot hide behind a needle, we know God so it is better I acknowledge my fault so that I can receive mercy while serving the punishment. This is known as punishment with love. God punishes His own with love, this will help one to understand and at the sametime change from the evil ways.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q2. In his prayer does David seek to minimize his sins? To maximize them? Why does an authentic prayer for pardon require clear, unvarnished acknowledgement of sin to be effective?

[/quote

David's prayer is the ultimate prayer of "coming clean before the Lord." He was honest and forthright...authentic and genuine admitting his sin and seeking to be made right with God.

Authentic prayer for pardon requires clear, unvarnished acknowledgment of sin to be effective because one comes totally out of hiding. God sees all...and all is seen by Him...light has come into the darkness.

David doesn't need to minimize nor maximize his sin since the Lord knew all of his sin from before he created him. An authentic prayer of repentance was required by God for his forgiveness thus pardoning him.

R2. Being the "man after God's own heart" it never occured to David to minimize or maximize his sins. He knew that Yahweh knew what sin he sinned EXACTLY - there is no benefit for him to understate or to overstate. To have done so will be another sin.

A clear and unvarnished acknowledgement of sin is the only way by which we will obtain pardon from a just and loving God. Any other way will result in disaster.

• 3 weeks later...

David doesn't minimise or maximise his sins because he realises exactly what he has done. He knows that God reads his thoughts anyway and that God knows what is in his heart, so he comes to God based on the exact sins to be forgiven.

Authentic prayer means that we admit what we have done without blaming others or that fact that we were born in sin. If we come to God in honest prayer for pardon for our sins, we are taking full responsibility and this shows that we are maturing in our walk with Him.

• 5 months later...

In v.3 David acknowledges his sin and yet in v.5 it's almost like he's making an excuse. Yes not one of us is born without sin but does that mean that we can give in to temptation and ****? I think not, rather it's a time of overcoming through Jesus .

We need to acknowledge sin in our life otherwise how can we expect to receive forgiveness. Asking forgiveness has to come from the heart .

• 4 months later...

NO . He placed the blame squarely on his own shoulders. He did not minimize his offence. David realized that he especially sinned against God.A clear and unvarnished acknowledgement of sin is the only way by which we will obtain pardon from a just and loving God. <_<

• 2 months later...

In Davids' prayers it appears that he seeks to minimize his sins by saying he was a sinner at birth. He wasn't excusing himself from sin but humbling himself before God as a sinner, admitting he sinned against Uriah and Barsheba but most of all God. God knows us better than we know ourselves. He sees all and knows all, you cant hide nothing from God. So when you come before the throne of grace you might as well be honest about it. Only than our your prayers effective.

Patricia

• 4 weeks later...

4-5 David is really sorry and confesses his sins.

He doesn't try to talk over it, like 'it was just Uriah, some foreigner' or 'I'm the king so I can sleep with whom I want'.

No, he takes full responsability and doesn't underestimate sin.

If you sincerely confess, we're forgiven (1 John 1:9).

If you underestimate sin, you don't take God seriously.

• 4 weeks later...

David owns up to his sins clearly and fully before God.

We are just deceiving ourselves,not God, if we try to rationalize our sins and make them seem less than they are. We cannot receive God's grace as it is blocked by our lack of honesty. We should take time-painful as it may be, to acknowledge our sins.

God requires truth, he is Truth and the truth is all he will recognize. He is the way the truth and the life, how blessed

we are!!!!

Q2. In his prayer does David seek to minimize his sins? To maximize them? Why does an authentic prayer for pardon require clear, unvarnished acknowledgment of sin to be effective?

No. David has an amazing relationship with God. He realized that he is only human and because of that he will and did sin. However, he acknowledges to God that he is wrong. He acknowledges that even knowing his sin was harsh and cruel, and will be punished, he also realizes that the worst sin was when he sinned against God. David understands what he did wrong and accepts what he's done. He does not try to hide it any longer. He accepts and confesses to his God.

When we are looking to seek forgiveness for something, we need to have a real understanding of what we have done. How will we repent, if we don't even know what it was? To simply say "I'm sorry" is not really believable in this day and age. It is so easily and falsely used that the whole meaning is lost. When we seek forgiveness, absolution,(what ever title you give it),We Must take full responsibility for our own thoughts, words and actions....regardless of the punishment.

• 5 months later...

Q2.

In his prayer does David seek to minimize his sins?

To maximize them?

Why does an authentic prayer for pardon require clear, unvarnished acknowledgement of sin to be effective?

No, David comes clean by confessing and acknowledging fully his sins before God. Being completely honest and not trying to minimize the sin by making excuses. We can never justify sin. We must realize that all sin is first and foremost against God; dishonouring His name. It is only when we admit that we are rotten to the core, sinful in our very nature, that God can then start working in our lives. We cannot bluff God, He knows our heart, our very thoughts

• 2 months later...

David did not minimize or maximise his sins. He did not justify his actions. Very importantly, he recognised he had sinned wilfully and acknowledged that he was in the wrong. He did not even involved Bathsheda when he admitted his wrongdoing. Most men would have blamed the women for seducing them (!!).

We cannot hide our sins from the God who knows and sees everything so its best to humble ourselves before Him and acknowlege our wrongs and weaknesses. Like David, we should also recognise that when we sin, we are not only sinning against others but more importantly we are sinning against God and He is the only one who can forgive and cleanse us.

• 2 weeks later...

In his prayer does David seek to minimize his sins? To maximize them?

No! He describe his sins and how they had plagued his life. He mentions sin in several different ways. When a believer sins and is convicted by the Holy Spirit one usually feels awful for their deeds. Many times their confession appears to be an over kill.

Why does an authentic prayer for pardon require clear, unvarnished acknowledgement of sin to be effective?

Without a thorough confession one might be tempted to keep on sinning. David did not want to continue sinning against God. God does not want us to continue to willfully sin against Him. He desires obedient children.

• 5 months later...

Q2. In his prayer does David seek to minimize his sins? To maximize them?

No David clearly acknowledges his sins. He did not try to justify his actions. He has a contrite heart. He knows the proportion of his sins and how they have offended God

God requires truth and sincerity. Our prayers for forgiveness must come from the heart. We must take the full responsibility. It demands humility to be able to be completely honest with God and recognize that without Him we are nothing.

• 1 month later...

David acknowledges that he is a sinner, and doesn't minimize that. He works it over pretty thoroughly -- from the moment of conception he has been a sinner. But he doesn't name the particular sins he has just committed and this seems wrong to me -- ineffective. Why doesn't he acknowledge in words what he has done?

God pardons what we acknowledge. What did David acknowledge?

• 2 months later...

As long as we try to excuse ourselves, to rationalize our sins to make them seem somewhat less guiltworthy, we haven't confessed our sins to God in the way that is necessary. We must own up to our sinful behavior, take full responsibility for it, call it what it actually is, and be sorry for offending God in this way. We must have repentant heart. Then we are ready for grace, but not until.

• 3 weeks later...

Q2. In his prayer does David seek to minimize his sins? To maximize them?

No, David does not hide, minimize, or maximize his sins. He fully owes up to his sin before a Holy God, and takes full responsibility for his action.

An authentic prayer for pardon requires clear, unvarnished acknowledgement of sin to be effective when a person recognizes that he/she did wrong in the sight of God, and broke fellowship with Him.

• 1 year later...

"3For I know my transgressions (pesha’),

and my sin (hattā’t) is always before me.

4Against you, you only, have I sinned (hātā’)

and done what is evil (ra‘) in your sight,

so that you are proved right when you speak

and justified when you judge.

5Surely I was sinful (‘āwōn) at birth,

sinful (hēt’) from the time my mother conceived me.

6Surely you desire truth in the inner parts;

you teach me wisdom in the inmost place." (51:3-6)

David recognizes his sinful nature and does not try to minimize or maximize his sins. Rather, he humbly recognizes that he has sinned against who is the Judge. By showing that he recognize his identity as a sinner, he is ready to receive God's grace. Likewise, I must speak the truth without "beating around the bush" when I sin knowing that I have sinned God. Once I am ready to call sin sin then Christ can extend his grace and forgiveness to me.

• 3 weeks later...

David does not hide his sin from God by making them less or more than what they are. He gives a true confession of his sin straight from his heart. Without being honest or giving excuses to God for our sins we are not in true confession when we attempt to confess and receive forgiveness.

• 1 month later...

No. He went to great lengths to explain how bad his sin was. It would be meaningless to minimize it now. He is taking full responcibility.

We must atmit our sin. Recocnize where we went wrong. Humble ourselves because of our sins and then turn away from it. Seek Gods will and always push to come closer to God. Because of His mercey He will forgive us and draw us closer

• 1 year later...

In his prayer does David seek to minimize his sins?

No. He owns up to it fully before God.

To maximize them?

No. By showing that he recognize his identity as a sinner. He has a contrite heart. He knows the proportion of his sins and how they have offended God

God knows our heart, our very thoughts.  Our sin is against our heavenly Father causing a breach between God and man. It is that breach that must be healed at all costs. 

• 1 month later...

No David does not minimize his sins. In fact, he takes full responsibility of all of his actions. He realizes that he is a sinful human and he is really sorry to God for hurting him. To ask for forgiveness the person must acknowledge the exact sin for
God to forgive him. A person must realize what was done to be able to keep from doing it again. This is the only way that it can be effective.

• 1 month later...

I don’t think that David is either seeking to minimize his sin nor is he maximizing the sin. He is acknowledging that he has sinned. So his authentic prayer for pardon is telling God that he knows that he had done a terrible thing and he says it in unvarnished terms. That is the way we need to be also.

• 4 months later...

David openly acknowledged his sins and vindicated the Lord. David also confessed that he was not only a sinner by choice but also by nature.

God is an all knowing God, all seeing God. Nothing can be hidden from God. We need to be honest, sincere in confessing our sins and receive God's forgiveness. He is faithful and just to forgive from all our sins.