JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Why is a person's attitude with regard to giving related to that person's attitude towards praise?

Both acknowledge God's character, His attributes, and His works. They are declarations of who God is and what He does.

Why does an attitude of possessiveness with regards to giving get in the way of worship?

Because, erroneously, we're saying that our power and strength has produced the wealth we have. We're not giving God His due.

In what sense do all your possessions belong to God?

Everything comes from God and belongs to Him. We are only stewards of it for a short time.

What then should be your relationship to your possessions?

We should realize our possessions come from God and belong to God.

How will these truths re-energize your giving?

We should give as He directs.

Your praise?

We should thankfully praise God for who He is and for His works.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q4. Why is a person's attitude with regard to giving related to that person's attitude towards praise? Why does an attitude of possessiveness with regards to giving get in the way of worship? In what sense do all your possessions belong to God? What then should be your relationship to your possessions? How will these truths re-energize your giving? Your praise?

If a person praises generously and from the heart a certain person or group or thing, he is bound to be generous to that same entity in many other ways. The act of giving is actually and act of love.

If one is possessive, one cannot fully love according to God's standard of love. Therefore, it gets in the way of worshipping God. One cannot worship anybody or anything, let alone God, if one does not have real love towards his object of love.

All my possessions belong to God because He is the maker, creator and initiator of all things on earth, even people and because of this, I should only give Him what is due Him and praise Him according to what He deserves.

• 3 months later...

Q4. Why is a person's attitude with regard to giving related to that person's attitude towards praise?

When we give freely and willingly our giving is a form of Worship and Praise.

Why does an attitude of possessiveness with regards to giving get in the way of worship.

What we have belongs to God. When we forget this we don

• 1 month later...

Possessiveness gets in the way of giving and praise because possessiveness is covetousness which is idolatry. It is not true worship of God because it does not recognize Him for who He is--the Owner of all things and deserving of my all. Possessiveness is the worship of money, and we know that we cannot serve God and money. Our worship and praise then becomes hollow and fake.

Giving is an act of worship because it declares God as Owner or all and deserving of our all. Being willing to give all He asks of us, declares Him as such.

• 3 weeks later...

A person who gives freely will offer praise and worship to God in abundance. Because they are grateful to God they will show it in their giving and praise to him.

Why does an attitude of possessiveness with regards to giving get in the way of worship?

It retards our willingness and freedom to give praise to God.

God is the source of all that we have. It all comes from Him and belongs to Him.

What then should be your relationship to your possessions? How will these truths re-energize your giving? Your praise?

We should regard our possessions as a resource that God has placed in our hands to help others and in so doing bring glory and honor to Him. We shoul be grateful and offer thanks and praise for that he has given to us.

• 2 weeks later...

G-d desires a cheerful, willing, giving heart.....not one who gives under compulsion. (ie. ok, I'll tithe my 10% because I have to).

When we give out of a thankful, grateful heart, realizing all that we have comes from G-d's hand....we can give joyfully and freely....it is a part of our worship. I understand giving my tithe as giving to G-d the firstfruits of what He has already provided and it is an act of faith, that He will continue to provide what I need. I can then in faith thank G-d and praise Him that He is good, He is faithful to provide and care for me, and thank Him for all His blessings He has already given. And when giving flows out of a grateful heart, I find myself freely giving more and more (far beyond the Required 10%) into His Kingdom....blessing others....realizing that how truly more blessed it is to give than receive.

Why does an attitude of possessiveness with regards to giving get in the way of worship.

Possessiveness is clinging onto something - either out of greed, fear, selfishness.... somewhere we're not fully trusting G-d with everything.

So, we might worship with our words, but our heart is not fully in it....we're holding back part of ourselves from Him.

There is not one thing that I possess that is not from G-d, whether it be my job, income, possessions, friends, family, health, my very life.....I should be always mindful of His constant blessings and filled with gratitude to G-d...not taking any credit or glory for myself, but giving Him thanks and praise.

G-d gives and takes away.....I should be grateful for whatever he gives, but willing to let go, and allow whatever I have to flow out as a blessing to others in His Name. Realize, these possessions are NOT MINE....so L-rd, please have Your way....Your will with whatever You bestow upon me.

How will these truths re-energize your giving? Your praise? \

Fully relinquishing all I have to G-d....willing to surrender all to Him. My praise then flows from a place of utter abandonment and surrender - freely and unhindered....worshiping in spirit AND in truth.

• 4 months later...
Q4. Why is a person's attitude with regard to giving related to that person's attitude towards praise? Why does an attitude of possessiveness with regards to giving get in the way of worship? In what sense do all your possessions belong to God? What then should be your relationship to your possessions? How will these truths re-energize your giving? Your praise?

A stingy heart will not give monetarily nor will it give praise to God or any one else

If a person feels that what he has is all his and that he earned it, then they will not give God praise for it because they feel the deserve what they have because they worked for it and earned it.

If it were not for God we would not have the health or the strength to work to acquire these possessions. It is God who rebukes the devourer from our goods.

My relationship with my possessions are simply that I have what I have because the Lord has blessed be and has given me divine favor. It is all HIS

I should be able to give and praise freely with gladness.

• 3 months later...

Out of praise and thanksgiving to God for the goodness and blessings He has showered upon me, I cannot give enough to Him. Because of this, God has developed within me a generosity in giving. I love and enjoy allowing God to bless others through me.

When I am too possessive or selfish with my resources, it gets in the way of worship and service. All of my possessions really belong to God because He is the source of all of it. I think all of us who love the Lord God should have an open hand in giving to God and blessing others.

The more I give, the more grateful I am that God is using me to bless others, and am making a difference on this planet for Jesus Christ --I get excited and want to praise and thank God for using me in the spreading of the Kingdom of God.

• 6 months later...

They are apart of each other you can't praise God if you are selfish toward giving. A wrong attitude toward giving interfers with praise and makes the heart unthankful. Being selfish toward giving will keep you from having a pure heart toward worship and God only hears the praise froma pure heart. All good thing come from the Father of Heavenly Lights scripture says in the parable of the rich man Jesus said his life was taken because he became unthankful toward God.We should always try and remember that without God we are nothing and own nothing and always give thanks for all things since they were His first. Giving praise must start in the heart and to be thankful comes from a pure heart so our giving must be controlled also by the same pure heart out selfish motives.

• 2 weeks later...

When we give to others we are putting them before ourselves. When we give praise to God, we are putting Him in His rightful exalted place. We have to be able to put others first.

An attitude of possessiveness gets in the way of worship because we have ourselves in an elevated position.

All of our possessions belong to God because he created us and gave them to us. They were His in the first place and are just a blessing to us.

We should be thankful for our possessions but realize they are a gift and not to be held before others or God. Our possessions came from God. When we get our attitude regarding our possessions in the right place, we will give to others and God and give praise with joy. Giving and praising will become easy and a real blessing.

• 4 weeks later...

God created everything. It's all Him. He has allowed us to use some of these things and we should thank Him. He doesn't need us to give back to Him. It's for our own benefit that we can have a closer relationship with Him and honor Him

We should always remember that everything we have is because God gives it to us. Everything. Just because I work for a living and pay my way doesn't mean that I alone did it. I freely acknowledge that I would have nothing, in fact I would be nothing-if it weren't for my Heavenly Father. It is He that sustains me in every area of my life. I praise Him and thank Him that I have what I need to make it through the day.

• 1 month later...

Both reflect a generosity of spirit, a desire to share with another, or a stinginess and not wanting to share because of the belief that it's all "mine", and I want more... It reflects greed to not want to give. Stinginess also reflects a lack of faith or trust in God...."there isn't enough to go around, so I need to hang onto what I have...I may not get my own needs met", kind of thinking.

Stinginess is a "Me first" attitude....I want it all for myself. Not wanting to share anything, including giving praise and worship...which is giving God what He desires.

All that I have came from Him....if it's bread, He created the wheat seeds, made them grow by creating the soil and the water...then providing the means to make the bread or earn the living to buy it....and on down the line for all that I "possess"...It's all His.

What then should be your relationship to your possessions? How will these truths re-energize your giving? Your praise?

It should be one of holding them in an open hand...ready to share or give because they belong first to Him. When we lost everything, it became very easy to give and to share even from the little we had, because it was so clear that even then there were others who had less and needed what we had more than we did. The result was in a greater gratitude and praise...giving and praising from the knowledge that even breath is a gift.

We're stewards of what He's given us....and must remember that He gives through His children to others, and through others to us at different times. He says "Give and it will be given to you"....

They are generosity of spirit, heart and hand. If you don't love you cannot praise God or give to people or His work. When one is miserly and stingy it is a bad reflection on even one's salvation, the Lord will make me a big giver and a regular sower in Jesus' name, amen.

It will definitely get in the way of worship 'cos when good things are happening to big givers and regular sowers and nothing is forth coming to that person then one would thing that God is partial and it can make that person to backslide.

All things belong to God. He created all for His pleasure even our children, us all. We are just the custordian for now we are care taker of whatever we have in our possession, praise God.

We should not close our fist to whatever we have. We should be ready to give regularly. We should lay up treasures for ourself in heaven.

The giving of praise and the giving of 'stuff' - be it presents for friends and relatives, or to charity - are tied hand-in-hand. This is a point of Christianity that I need to work on! I have never been a 'big' giver, of either praise or presents. While I 'did my part', giving a percentage of my earnings each paycheck to the United Way, while I was working, and throwing come change to the bell-ringers at Christmas time, it was no where near the gifts I lavished on myself. Praise, also, has been hard to come by from me. That was probably my downfall in my work life as a manager - although I did try to thank each employee at the end of the day, or when they turned in a project to me. I was doing the minimum in both cases, coasting by. And coasting down-hill. Now, out of work, and married for the second time, and again being what I thought was generous, I am going through a hard correction. While I was blindly, scornfully going about being what I thought was a good-guy, a great husband for my wife - I did not respond to her telling me that I really needed to get a job besides helping her in her restaurant. Now my retirement has been spent, the economy in our town is being especially hard-hit, and I think I have hit rock-bottom. Probably not - there is always another rung below the one we are one. The bright spot is that I have started learning about Jesus, praying, and going to church, and even more better, is that I have really been examining myself, and changing things. So, as possessiveness hinders our giving of gifts and praise, the lack of giving praise go God, of course, hinders our worship.

In a very real sense, all our possessions belong to God. It is He that leads us into good jobs that enable us to make money and buy things. It is He that makes things happen, whether it be engineers designing slick cars, hot tech gadgets, cooks making delicious food. Any thing, every thing, every person, comes from God - so all our possessions are on loan from Him.

This lesson, I have to say, has been a great reality-check for me!

Thank you Lord, and thank you Dr. Ralph!

• 2 weeks later...

The answer to all the questions above boil down to one word: revelation. When you get the revelation that all you have is from God and belongs to God...including people and things...then you can't really do anything else but praise Him and share all you have with all whom you know. None of it belongs to you ...and you know it.

• 2 weeks later...
An individual's attitude of possessiveness and greed blocks all access to praise and worship of God. If you can't praise and worship God without reguard to possessions then you are tied to this earth in more ways than just unable to praise him you have become a slave.

• 3 weeks later...

When we gladly give our tithes, our time, our talents, we find it easy to praise God constantly because our motives are genuine.

If we are possessive of what we have, we find it difficult of tithe because we feel we earned our money so we don't want to part with it. It is an attitude of pride and selfishness as well as sin.

All our possessions belong to God because it is only He who gives us the ability to get what we now have. It is not earned solely on our own merits as we may think.

The possessions we have are temporary. We cannot take them with us when we die. We should remember that everything belongs to God. We will then find it easier to share with others what we have and also to gibve our tithing willingly and cheerfully.

• 5 months later...

Because it is to do with our heart attitude. When we praise God with a right attitude, we give out of our love for Him and it will take us into another dimension.

A reluctant spirit will hold us back from worship and receiving the blessings of God.

In covenant relationship there is a willingness to give to the other i.e. God

Possessions are earthly and if we hold on to them it is harder to get deeper into God. Sometimes they may become an idol.

The more we give to God, the more we praise Him, the more He will bless us.

• 7 months later...

When its time to give we all at one time or another have said"I cant do this" "I have bills to pay"Its through God that we gain wealth. We cant praise and worship God properly until we give him our all including our ten percent.

You cannot possess something that is not yours, yea you may have worked hard for it but it belongs to God. We our only stewarts of the things here on earth. Everything belongs to God. Job said it best after the lost of wealth and family; "Naked I came from my mother's womb, and naked I will depart. The LORD gave and the LORD has taken away; may the name of the LORD be praised.(Job1:21)

Each time I tithe I think about God mercy and grace,how if He have not been on myside I would have and be nothing. So I cheerfully give my ten percent plus offering,as well. I want my praise to God to move to another relm in Him.

Patricia

• 1 month later...

In both situations you give a bit of yourself.

If you keep all for yourself, youre to selfcentered to worship.

Then you think that you're more important then God.

Everything belong to God because He made it all.

We're just allowed to use His world.

We should think that people are more important then things.

Those truths will revitalise our giving and praise.

When we praise our God for his many blessings to us, it helps us to focus on just how richly blessed we are. That in turn helps us to share those blessings with others.

If we are too possessive over giving, we cannot worship God without feeling guilty; he gave his only son for us. Jesus never stopped giving all the time he was on earth, he gave up his very life as a sacrifice for our sins.

All we have belongs to God, he created and sustains us and we should use our wealth for the good of others, giving God the glory and following the example of our Lord Jesus.

We should give with a happy heart as the Lord loves a cheerful giver,however, in order to " cheerfully give", we have to look after ourselves or we can become burnt out, exhausted and cannot serve our Lord as we should.

• 5 months later...

Q4.

Why is a person's attitude with regard to giving related to that person's attitude towards praise?

How will these truths re-energize your giving? Your praise?

We need to be reminded that God created everything and that therefore ultimately all belongs to Him. When we give, we are in truth only giving Him what is His own. I read somewhere that our attitude should not be,

• 2 months later...

When we give willingly, we recognise that 1) God is the one who enables us to produce wealth 2) All that we have comes from him and belongs to him 3) Just as we have been blessed by God, we should also bless others. An attitude of possessiveness gets in the way of worship because we do not attribute our ability to produce wealth to God ie it was not God who bless us with knowledge, skills, employment, favor but we made it all on our own. When we think this way, we are not able to praise God for his goodness. Possessiveness also shows a lack of faith because we do not trust God with what we need in the future so we hoard instead of give.

Our possessions belong to God because we came into this world with nothing. He is the one who equips us with the necessary skills and knowledge to earn a living.

Our relationship to our possessions must be that they are temporal and all that we have belongs to God. We do not own them and they certainly should not own us. These truths should re-energize our giving because we are giving to God what rightfully belongs to Him and we have the faith to believe that He will take good care of us. We should be praising Him non-stop.

• 3 weeks later...

We will either praise God or ourselves. Do we believe our earnings come from God or ourselves? It is easy to say to ourselves, we have worked for it, we deserve it. King David kept himself in check when he prayed,