JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Righteousness and Answered Prayer

I HEZEKIAN HAD NOT ASKED GOD FOR HEALING,HE WOULD HAVE NOT LIVED 15 MORE YEARS.

WE MUST BE TRUE TO GOD BEING THE CHRISTIAN GOD CAN USE.OUR EYES ARE OPEN TO MANY THINGS THAT NEED PRAYING ABOUT,AND WE WANT GOD TO HEAR US.IF WE ARE LIVING A SINFUL LIFE,HOW CAN GOD EVEN THINK ABOUT ANSWERING ANY OF OUR PRAYERS.WE ALL MUST DO THE BEST WE CAN.WE ALL MAKE MISTAKES,BUT AS WE LEARN FROM OUR MISTAKES WE CAN HELP OTHERS.YES,ALL GODS GIFTS ARE BY GRACE(FAVOR)BUT WE DO NOT EARN OR DESERVE WHAT GOD GIVES TO US FREELY BECAUSE HE LOVES US.WE MUST BE QUICK TO REPENT,HUMBLE OURSELF BEFORE GOD.GOD IS GOOD,AND FULL OF BLESSINGS FOR HIS PEOPLE.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hezekiah ask'd because of their relationship. Hezekiah loved GOD, and GOD loved Hezekiah. He had confidence that GOD would help him.

It causes GOD to react based on relationship and not on works. Righteousness and Holiness is ascribed to us by Christ, though we daily contend for continuous right standing. If GOD should ask why should He grant my request, I have two responses (if one doesn't work the other certainly will), (1) I've lived all that I know how in accordance to your word, offering no excuse for failure only that I've tried. (2) Because of Christ, I'm found to be the righteousness of GOD in Christ Jesus. If my record won't work, here's Christ finished works.

GOD will not reward disobedience. If my daughter disobeys me and ask for something, I still love her and will provide the daily requirements, but that's all.

:D

Hezekiah is a righteous man. God promised an heir and long life for those who live a righteous life.

God is open to those who are obedient to Him. Walking righteously with the Lord by your side is a good thing. It doesn't mean that He will answer every prayer the way that you want it to be answered. It also doesn't mean that you won't stumble and fall. If that happens you have to pick yourself up, dust yourself off and God will answer your prayers in the manner that He thinks is best for you.

First off I think this is a reward and not punishment kind of thing. God promised to answer the prayers of the righteous man. If you are praying with your heart and not your head you are praying a righteous prayer. Generally speaking, if you are praying for from your head you are praying for material kinds of things. You can pray for deliverance from a situation but what is the motivation. I am not saying that God does not sometimes answer the prayers of the unrighteous but He answers them in the way that he thinks is best. This is not necessarily the way that the person praying wanted things to go.

TRUST IN THE LORD WITH ALL OF YOUR HEART!

Q4. (20:3) What is the basis on which Hezekiah asks for healing? Why is personal righteousness and holiness important in getting your prayers answered? How can unrighteousness prevent answered prayer if all gifts from God are by grace anyway?

Hezekiah knows his standing before God,he was righteous holy and loved the Lord.

Personal righteousness and holiness are a byproduct of a close relationship with God,and the prayer of one who lives life in a deep relationship with God gets answered.

Sin and unrighteousness will hinder us from the best that God has for us.Our God is a forgiving father,but He does not wink at sin or overlook sin for He is a Holy God and He cannot do that,so it is quite likely that we dont recive our answers to prayer because of unconfessed sin.

1. For me a large part of the answer to this is listed in our study inWhy Did God Grant Hezekiah's Prayer. It appers that Hezekiah's prayer went beyond a selfish request. He may have been asking for a healing for the people as well. Look at the issues God's answer addresses.

2-3. First of all I will maintain that all prayers are answered!! Some are answered yes, some no, and maybe some are wait. But I believe there is a yes or no.

Many times My walk isn't strong enough to handle the yes I am looking for. If my walk is weak enough that a yes will lead me in the wrong direction the answer has to be no. My kids have asked things that are not wrong in and of themselves but I couldn't say yes, because they weren't ready to handle what comes with the yes. It has at times really hurt to say no.

A few years back I asked my son why he seemed to behave so well at someone else's place and turn into an "outlaw" at home. I had heard what a well mannered and well behaved boy he was. This wasn't quite the same boy I thought I knew. His answer was " I have to be good so they will ask me back, you have to take me back." I think I'm happy it wasn't the other way but, how often do we follow this same path with God??

Hezaekiah understood the covenant.

Righteousness is everything. It's Jesus' righteousness imputed to us that God recognizes. Our hope is built on nothing less than Jesus and His righteousness.

The basis on which Hezekiah asks for healing is, he appealed to God's promises for an heir and for a long life for those who live a righteous life.

Personal righteousness and holiness are important in getting our prayers answered because we have a better chance of having our prayers answered if we are obediant to His will.

Q4. (20:3) What is the basis on which Hezekiah asks for healing? Why is personal righteousness and holiness important in getting your prayers answered? How can unrighteousness prevent answered prayer if all gifts from God are by grace anyway?

He want's his nation to survive and have a son. It shows obedence. It's all up to God.

• 3 weeks later...
:o Hezekaiah in his prayer, is highlighting the point that his heart and soul are for the Lord and that he has tried to live a righteous life, keeping God's commandments. He is trying to draw nigh unto the Lord, self-assuring himself of God's intravention, from the pathetic situation he is in. Like Hezekaiah, if we also lead righteous lives, we can approach God with our just requests and be assured that HE has listened to our prayers. Unrightepusness causes us to approach God without clear conscience,thereby hindering God from listening and answering. :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

The basis of Hezekiah prayer for healing was his faith in God and his trust that God would do as He said and because he did his best to do what God had told the Isrealites to do.

Personal rightousness and holiness is important because it shows your faith in the creator.

Unrighousness can prevent answered prayers because they are given for selfish reasons .Unrightousness is not knowing God and His promises.

Hezekiah asks for healing based on his walk with God: "Remember, O LORD, how I have walked before you faithfully and with wholehearted devotion and have done what is good in your eyes." 2 Kings 20:3

Personal righteousness and holiness are important in getting your prayers answered because when you walk in righteousness and holiness you remain close to God and He says that the prayers of the righteous are powerful and effective.

Unrighteousness can prevent answered prayer in several ways. God does not reward wickedness. Also sometimes God speaks to us in different ways, with the answers we need but if we are walking in unrighteousness and our hearts are not open to God then we miss what He is saying and the answers we are looking for get missed.

• 2 months later...

He asks for healing based on his personal history of righteousness and obedience to God.

Your track record' says alot about and for you. This man had a history or 'track record' of doing what is right in the sight of God. (or aleast making his best attempt at doing right) So it wasn't like he was asking God for healing so he could do what he wanted to do, but continue doing God's will for him and his people.

Unrighteousness, is a displeasure to God, most of the time these prayers are for selfish reasons and God will not hear nor answer.

• 4 weeks later...

True intercession for ourselves or others occurs within the Holies of Holies - the third part of the tabernacle. Hezekiah would have known and understood this analogy. The Christian only gets there through passing through the outer and inner courts, having used all the furniture/implements for cleansing/righteousness on the way. In James 4 there are 10 conditions for approaching God. Then He hears our prayers! 2 Chronicles 7:14 If my people....

• 4 weeks later...

Hezekiah based on the promises of God He led an upright life , so the Lord honored him.

God also loved Hezekiah.

• 4 weeks later...

Based upon his relationship with Adonai, Hezeikah rightly asked for a healing. As a man who upheld the Torah and lived to please God he would have expected mercy from a friend he knew well, as all should who live for Yahweh, according to His will.

Without holiness no man will see God and the just live by faith. Holiness and righteousness are the only way to approach a holy God. John 9:31; "Now we know that God heareth not sinners."

• 4 weeks later...

He came to God in prayer on his own righteousness, When we are right before God, and we pray, he will answer because it just like your children, you want to do things for your children when they are good. and you think about it twice, if they are not behaving. God is our Father and he responds in the same way. Unrighteousness prevents our prayers from being answered

• 3 months later...

Hesekiah based his prayer for healing on his upright life with God always in his mind.

Personal righteousness and holiness are important in getting our prayers answered because this way, we can be more convincing and persistent in our prayers. Believing in what we ask for and believing in our self is a strong reason why we should continue pursuing our prayer.

Despite the fact that all gifts are from God by grace, God still hears better a persistent prayer from a righteous man than from an unrighteous one. Alhough I believe, it is all really in God's hands and decision.

Being righteous and persistent and believing probably just add to the enthusiam we try to "water" our prayers.

• 2 months later...

Q4. (20:3) What is the basis on which Hezekiah asks for healing?

He ask for healing because he had been a faithful servant.

Why is personal righteousness and holiness important in getting your prayers answered?

God loves answering the prayers of the righteous.

How can unrighteousness prevent answered prayer if all gifts from God are by grace anyway?

Even though all gifts from God are by grace, if we are living outside of His Will for us he will not answer your prayers. :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

:rolleyes: The basis on which Hezekiah asks for healing is the godly life he has lived, not perfect but desiring to do what God wanted.

Personal holiness is important because God's Word says if you love me, keep my commandments. John 14:15

Unrighteousness can prevent our prayers from being answered even though all gifts are by grace because to recieve God's grace, we must believe and trust God. We show our trust and belief in Him by living a righteous life.

What is the basis on which Hezekiah asks for healing?

He asks on the basis of his integrity and upright life.

Why is personal righteousness and holiness important in getting your prayers answered?

If we are not walking in God's way, we will not often ask in God's will. God must stay true to His holiness and righteousness Himself, and rewarding disobedience contradicts that.

How can unrighteousness prevent answered prayer if all gifts from God are by grace anyway? His grace not only justifies us, but it sanctifies us. When we are not walking with God in fellowship with Christ, we do not ask in His will. "If anyone asks anything IN MY NAME. . ." We must ask in accordance with the name, nature, and will of Christ. Unrighteousness is not according to that measure.

• 2 weeks later...

Q4. (20:3) What is the basis on which Hezekiah asks for healing?

Hezekiah asked for healing on the basis of God's mercy and power to heal.

God desires obedience. When we can go before God with a pure heart and speak of our righteousness and holiness in obedience to His command we humbly make a plea for His favor upon us.

How can unrighteousness prevent answered prayer if all gifts from God are by grace anyway?

Though gifts from God are by His grace, unrighteousness can prevent answers to prayers. God may or may not answer the prayers of the unrighteous, if it is an unselfish prayer,a prayer of necessity, a prayer for a just God to act on behalf of the weak and downtrodden; I think that God will answer.

• 4 weeks later...

1). The basis on which Hezekiah asks for healing was his sincere devotion, true obedience and faith.

2). Personal righteousness and holiness is important in getting our prayers answered because they are the by-products of our intimate relationship with God. It`s Jesus`s righteousness that imputed us that God recognizes and our hope is in Him.

3). God bless us according to His will. It`s His jurisdiction to answer our prayer. Sins and unrighteousness hinder us from the best that God has for us. We don`t receive answers to our prayers because of unconfessed sins.

• 4 months later...

The basis for asking for his healing is that God had promised an heir through him (and this had not happened yet) and that God promise long life to those who had lived righteously before HIM (and Heaekiah had lived a righteous life.)

The answer to both of these questions is James 5:16 "The prayers of a righteous man availeth much"

Even though God is no respector of people and we are saved by grace, I know that the prayers of a righteous person can produce greater results. NOT self-righteous - but truly righteous. God is a rewarder of them that diligently seek HIM.

• 3 months later...

Hezekiah appealed to God's promises for an heir and for long life for those who live a righteous life. Personal righteousness and holiness reflect my love, commitment to God's way, and obedience to God's will for my life. Personal righteousness and holiness honor God. God answers the prayers of those who honor Him.

Unrighteousness is sin and sin breaks fellowship with God, thus creating the potential for God not answering our prayers, not rewarding unrighteous behavior. Such as a parent might disciple a child. Rewarding bad, rebellious behavior sends the wrong message.