JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Righteousness and Answered Prayer

Q4. (20:3) What is the basis on which Hezekiah asks for healing? Why is personal righteousness and holiness important in getting your prayers answered? How can unrighteousness prevent answered prayer if all gifts from God are by grace anyway?

Hezekiah asked due to his faithfulness & working for the Lord

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q4. (20:3) What is the basis on which Hezekiah asks for healing? Why is personal righteousness and holiness important in getting your prayers answered? How can unrighteousness prevent answered prayer if all gifts from God are by grace anyway?

On the basis of his faithfulness, and obedience to God. We need to be faithful and righteous for God to hear our prayers because He is a loving Father who hears when His faithful child speaks. He punishes us when we do wrong as any parent would and blesses us when we live for Him. Our sinfulness,with out repentance causes God to not answer our prayers, we are as stuborn children who refuse to listen to their parents and so do not recieve the things that they ask for. God rewards those who hear Him and show it by doing His will and living lives that bring glory and honor to Him.

• 3 weeks later...

Hezekiah asked for healing on the basis that he lived an upright life and honored God. He trusted God and led his people to follow God.

Hezekiah made an honest attempt to follow God in his life and repented when he was convicted of his sin. God

honored this with blessing, success, and answered prayer. God may answer the prayers of sinners but he is more inclined to answer the prayers of those who love Him and seek righteousness.

Unrighteousness may not prevent prayer from being answered. However, we are more inclined to do for our children when they are obedient that when they are disobedient. Could it be that way with God as well? God does teach us that prayers of the righteous are powerful. James teaches us: "The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective" (James 5:16b). We know God's promises are true.

• 5 weeks later...

Honestly-God wants us to be obedient. He wants us in spirit and in truth. However, we are not perfect-we must and are always trying to do right and good. Sometimes we fail. But, if our heart is right and we fall under conviction, and confess our sin, then God will cleanse us. He will forgive us. Then, when we pray and ask for help in and with our lives, then God, Who is faithful, will forgive us and hear our prayers. We must remain open to the leading of The Spirit, and do what The Spirit tells us to do.

The basis for this asking was his being honest and just in his life. God listens to reghteous people. Unrighteousness gets in the way of our communication with GOd

• 4 weeks later...

Q4. (20:3) What is the basis on which Hezekiah asks for healing?

His faithfulness to walk uprightly before God in truth and with a whole heart.

Why is personal righteousness and holiness important in getting your prayers answered?

When our conscience is clear before the Lord, our communication is open and unhindered. First of all, we're more apt to pray and ask for answers in this condition, and God acts upon Faith which is more evident when we have a clean heart.

I'm praising the Lord today! He just healed me! I was traumatized at age 3 by my Mom who went berserk and beat me violently with a razor strap, threatening to cripple me so I couldn't walk, then threatened to kill me. I don't know what I did, and she didn't say, but lies came in at that time that have set up many strongholds in my life: "I'm all alone, abandoned, I'm helpless, there's no one to help or protect me, and I have no resources". Those lies crippled me emotionally, and as an adult, for a time when problems or sickness arise I turn inward and forget to ask the Lord for help or for healing. Many strongholds have been broken but this was the root of them and today He dealt with it and set me free!

For several months the denial about that time has been lifting and at the same time, migraines, neck pain, back pain, nightmares, digestive problems have gotten worse. I've been in bed for several days unable to function. Today I turned on the t.v. and the last 10 min. of the 700 club was on and they were about to pray for people. Gordon said "The Lord is here right now today, this moment to heal you. Put your hand on your body where you need healing and let's pray". I put my hand on my forehead and said "Please heal the migraines and my mind. My neck hurts and my back....so many digestive problems too. Lord, will you have them address my healing out loud?" After he prayed, he said there is a woman who is having migraines and you have your hand on your forehead right now. The migraines are gone. There's someone who's having pain in the back of your neck....move your neck, the pain is gone.Then Terry Meusen said "There's some one whose spine is out of alignment and that is being put back right now and all of the muscle pain and tension is gone now, and all of the digestive problems are gone." As each problem was mentioned, the Lord healed it. When I called to tell them, Camilla who answered the phone said and I believe the trauma which caused all of the problems has been healed today! AMEN!!!

Isaiah 66:2 says "This is the one to whom I will look and have regard: he who is humble and of a broken or wounded spirit, and who trembles at My word and reveres My commands. Ref. John 4:24

How can unrighteousness prevent answered prayer if all gifts from God are by grace anyway?

Unforgiveness can hinder answered prayer, husbands are cautioned about how they treat their wives, lest the answers to their prayers be hindered...children are told to obey their parents that it may go well with them....Rebellion and sin stave off blessing...we're cautioned against grieving the Holy Spirit. To pour blessing on a rebellious sinful child is like rewarding bad behavior...and yet it's His kindness that leads us to repentence.

It has always fascinated me that before I became born again, but was a church goer, He answered some really powerful prayers that I prayed to "God, if you're there"...our first baby was born in an hour with no pain in answer to that kind of prayer because I was terrified to go through childbirth...and she weighed nearly 9 lbs. I didn't even perspire! Another prayer to "God if you're there" was for a job for my husband where we could be a normal family with decent hours and pay, since at the time he was always working when our child was awake. Within 2 months we'd been moved out of Utah and were living in California, with a good job and good pay, and "normal" hours. Praise His Name!

Hezekiah tells the Lord, in prayer, that he has been a faithful servant, devoted to God, and did what was good in God's eyes, in other words, he has been a righteous leader and person. It is important that we be righteous if we would have our prayers answered - this may not mean sin-free, since man can never be absolutely free from sin - but, by having faith in God, belief in the substitutionary sacrifice in the death of Jesus, and recognizing our sinful nature, and confessing those sins, being repentant of them, we may be credited as being righteous by God.

His integrity before the Lord. God honors our motivation to be holy. God cannot bless disobedience...although His word states that He will have mercy on whom He has mercy and compassion on whom He has compassion. He is sovereign and can and will do anything He wants to whomever He wants. That my brothers and sisters is mercy and grace.

What is the basis on which Hezekiah asks for healing? Why is personal righteousness and holiness important in getting your prayers answered? How can unrighteousness prevent answered prayer if all gifts from God are by grace anyway?

Hezekiah asks for healing because of God's ability to heal and because Hezekiah has been a faithful servant. When we choose to obey God and His commands, to walk in His ways, to reject the ways of the world, we become His friend. Friendship with the world is enmity with God, so the reverse is true -- if we are not in love with worldly things, giving into our lusts of the flesh and of the eyes, dying to ourselves daily, then we can come into the presence of the Lord with humility -- knowing that the Lord Jesus has paid the price for our petitions to be heard, and yet, we show that we are in the vine when we are obeying His commands to the best of our ability by His power and His strength, boasting only in the Lord Jesus Christ. God also promises that He rewards those who seek Him. Unrighteousness is probably because we have made friends with the world in some way, which can be a stronghold in our lives, and if we are not repentant, then we are choosing to separate ourselves from God and move away from His umbrella of protection of grace over our lives.

• 3 weeks later...

God does honor the prayers of the righteous over the backslidden. All blessings are freely given-without earning-by grace. The prayer of the righteous man is powerful & effective (James5:16)

• 2 weeks later...

The basis of his prayer was that he had led a righteous life.

Personal righteousness and holiness is important because God honours the righteous and he rewards the faithful. So our prayers become a priority in God's eyes.

Unrighteousness hinders answered prayer because any sin is a stumbling block to answered prayer. God says thatwe need to live a holy life before He answers our prayers.

• 5 months later...

The basis for Hezekiah asking for healing was that he has walked before God faithfully and with complete devotion and done everything that pleased God. He was faithful, devoted and always acknowledged God in his life above all else.

Righteousness is right standing before God, cleansed through the blood of Jesus Christ and this gives us access to the King of Kings and Lord of Lords. He looks on our heart and although we make mistakes, he blesses us and respects us for honouring Him.

Unrighteousness may affect prayers being answered because we have a free will and if we wilfully do wrong and ignore God, why should He answer every time we cry. Yet He is faithful and just to forgive as we turn from our wicked ways.

• 3 months later...

HE WANTED TO LEAVE AN HEIR TO THE THRONE AND TO MAKE SURE GOD'S WORDS WERE FULLFILLED IN HIS LFE TIME

AS THE WORD SAYS GOD HONORS THE PRAYERS OF THOSE WHO ARE UPRIGHT AND THE EFFECTUAL FERVENT PRAYER OF A RIGHTEOUS MAN AVAILETH MUCH

IT IS LAID OUT IN THE WORD...WHEN WE DO WRONG HE SAID HE WILL PUNISH US. ITS NOT BY WORKS

• 4 months later...

Holding onto his faith Hezekiah pleaded to God for his healing and a long life.

Sometimes we pray to God for healing and get impatient if its not done right now.

We must learn to be patient and believe that word of God is TRUE no matter what the circumstances look like.

Personal righteousness and holiness is important in getting your prayer answer;Gods' ear is always in tune to the prayers of the righteous first;Though He will answer the prayer of a backslider or sinner.

Our human righteousness does not qualify us for an answer from the Father. Likewise, our unrighteousness does not disqualify us for an answer from the Father.

Its good to know that Father is not measuring our righteousness to determine whether or not to answer our prayers. Truely this all done because of Gods' grace it is not earned because God owe us nothing.

Patricia

• 2 months later...

Hezekiah asked for healing on the basis that he had walked before God faithfully, and with whole hearted devotion and had done what was good in God's eyes.

We need to try to please God in every way in order to get closer to him both to receive and to reflect his love. That way, by study of his Word and by prayer, we are more likely to know what we should and should not pray for and our prayers are more likely to be answered if they are within the boundaries of his will.He loves us and wants to give us the most precious gift of all----------a place in His Kingdom----------who could ask for anything more!!!!

Thankyou Lord

• 5 months later...

Q4. (20:3)

What is the basis on which Hezekiah asks for healing?

Why is personal righteousness and holiness important in getting your prayers answered?

How can unrighteousness prevent answered prayer if all gifts from God are by grace anyway?

Hezekiah was trying to live a faithful righteous life, and based on this felt that he could ask God for healing of his body.

Sin acts as a barrier between us and God. Being a child of our Heavenly Father and therefore living a righteous life is important in having our prayers answered. Just like a worldly father, our Heavenly Father is more likely to answer prayers of His obedient children. Nothing we do can earn any favours from God. It is His sovereign right to answer our prayers as He sees fit. But I feel that He is more likely to hear the prayers of believers than unbelievers.

• 2 months later...

Hezekiah asked for healing on the basis that the righteous are blessed with long life. He reminded God that he had always been devoted to God, living a life faithful and obedient to Him.

Personal righteousness and holiness are important in getting our prayers answered because they put us in the right standing with God. The prayer of a righteous man will see good results. Of course, God is a god of grace and mercy and He does answer the prayers of those living in sin. However He knows our hearts and he answers those prayers because He knows that we are desperate and this could be the turning point of our lives.

Unrighteousness prevents answered prayer because it is the very thing that removes us from the presence of God, in the very first place. A sinful life blocks out God's blessings.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Hezekiah's basis was his righteousness. Right standing through Jesus Christ gives us access to the God and He honors the prayers of the upright over those of the backslidden. Unrighteousness can prevent answered prayer because egocentrism and unrepentance separates from God and prevent the unrighteous of asking "You do not have, because you do not ask God...." (James 4:2b).

• 4 months later...

Q4. (20:3) What is the basis on which Hezekiah asks for healing?

Hezekiah was asking for healing based on God’s promise of the Messiah coming through the line of David.

Personal righteousness and holiness is important in getting our prayers answered, because God wants His children to be obedient to Him. In James 5:16b, God stated “The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much.” God encourages us to live an holy, righteous, and upright life, so that, He can honor us with blessing, success, and answered prayer when we live according to His Will.

Psalm 34:15 – “The eyes of the LORD are upon the righteous, and his ears are open unto their cry”

Unrighteousness prevents answered prayer, because God has to discipline those who are disobedient. When we are disobedient, God is not quick to answer our prayers when we are rebellious. He does not reward disobedience.

I John 3:19-24 – And hereby we know that we are of the truth, and shall assure our hearts before him. For if our heart condemn us, God is greater than our heart, and knoweth all things. Beloved, if our heart condemn us not, then have we confidence toward God. And whatsoever we ask, we receive of him, because we keep his commandments, and do those things that are pleasing in his sight. 3And this is his commandment, That we should believe on the name of his Son Jesus Christ, and love one another, as he gave us commandment. And he that keepeth his commandments dwelleth in him, and he in him. And hereby we know that he abideth in us, by the Spirit which he hath given us.”

John 15:7 – “If ye abide in me, and my words abide in you, ye shall ask what ye will, and it shall be done unto you.”

• 1 year later...

His basis for asking for healing is when he prayed to the Lord and said, "remember Lord, how I have walked before you faithfully and with whole hearted devotion and have done what is good in your eyes." Personal righteousness and holiness is important to getting your prayers answered because God's heart is open to his children who walk that way before Him. Unrighteousness is disobedience before God and prayer would not quickly be answered to one in this state. This might hurt us and we might feel confession and repentance have no place in our lives if God just answers our prayers every time we ask. Hezekiah had a good prayer petition based on his walk.

• 2 years later...

What is the basis on which Hezekiah asks for healing?

Hezekiah appealed to God's promises for an heir and for long life for those who live a righteous life.

He needed and heir to the throne should he die of which there was none and he was appealing to God's promises to David concerning his son Solomon and Solomon's offspring.

His salvation is not by works but by HIs grace. All God's gifts are by grace -- his own favor towards us, which is neither earned nor deserved.

God's heart is open to the prayer of His child seeking to live a faithful, upright, righteous life. Since God has less need for discipline, He has greater freedom to grant us answers to our prayers without hurting us.

• 1 month later...

Hezekiah was not trying to change God's will. I feel that he was simply showing God that even on his death bed, he was still praising God. He wants God to remember him as a just and holy man. He is putting his house in order and I feel he is basically saying good bye to his God. Because at that time, they did not have the promise of everlasting life. as we do now. I feel that I see this sentence quite differently than the text has suggested.

God does provide for us on a daily basis. To me, when I request something in prayer, I am asking for a special treat or a big favor. I feel that I need to be extra good in order to receive that gift from God. I also know that my prayer might not be answered in the way I wanted or when I wanted it. God knows what is best for me and he knows the future so much better. I might be asking for something that I want right now, but it might actually be harmful to me in the future. So just maybe God will not give it to me to protect me. There is a really big difference between what a person wants and what a person really needs.

• 2 months later...

The basis on which Hezekiah asks for healing is that he had walked before God faithfully with wholehearted devotion and did well in His eyes. I think that personal righteousness and holiness is important in getting our prayers answered is because God likes to give us good things when we are in harmony with Him. I think that unrighteousness prevents answered prayer because God doesn’t want to pour out his grace to those that don’t obey Him.

• 4 months later...

King Hezekiah appealed to God's promises for an heir and for long life for those who live a righteous life. He prayed, remember O Lord how I walked before you faithfully and with whole hearted devotion and have done what is good in your eyes.

God is willing to hear the prayers of His children who wholeheartedly seek to be obedient to Him. Live a faithful,upright,righteous life. As psalmist says in Psalms 34:17 "the righteous cry and the Lord hears and delivers them out of all their troubles".

God is righteous God. He answers prayers when we are in righteous relationship with Him. The gifts/blessings we receive from God are by His grace and not of our good works.