JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. The Prayer of Surrender

Q4. (139:23-24) Why is this prayer of surrender to God so difficult to pray?

Our old enemy PRIDE hates to hear about our sins, shortcomings, falling short of the glory of God. It is a kind of death to pray this prayer, as our will has to give place to His sovereignty. Fear kept me from praying it early on....I just plain didn't know Him very well yet and certainly didn't trust that He had my best interest in mind, because I assumed in ignorance He was like my abusive parents.

When was the first time you prayed this kind of prayer to God?

It was after I got into recovery for co dependency and we studied the transference people often do in placing parents faces over His face. I learned when I got that sorted out that He knows my every thought before I think it, so there's no use trying to stay under cover.....and I asked Him to show me my sins, wicked or hurtful ways, and to change me!

What was the result?

Relief! A new intimacy with Him. The pretense was gone and I felt free and unburdened. The effort to try to keep secrets from Him to win His approval was washed away as a futile, silly thing and I was free to just "be". I learned in scripture that I already had His approval when He created me in secret in my Mother's womb...I didn't have to earn it and I couldn't lose His approval. What a waste of time all of that was!

Can a person be a genuine disciple without praying this kind of prayer?

I was a genuine disciple...kind of a pitiful one, so yes you can, but hopefully one gets over ones self and gets real with the Lord in order to move on to being an authentic follower of Christ. Before I prayed that prayer (and I've prayed it many, many times now) I always felt guilty and "heavy"...so one wouldn't want to stay in denial for very long about ones true spiritual condition. He can't heal what we won't admit.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q4. (139:23-24) Why is this prayer of surrender to God so difficult to pray? When was the first time you prayed this kind of prayer to God? What was the result? Can a person be a genuine disciple without praying this kind of prayer?

It is difficult 'cos people are afraid. They know they can't do the bad things they are used to again, their old friends will be judgemental, their life will turn around, fear of unknown. Human beings do not want to change, we actually resist change. God will help us.

If you pray this prayer of surrender, the result is wonderful, you have that peace that passes human understanding. the result is actually the opposite of all you go through if you do not pray the prayer. I sincerely think a person can't be a genine disciple without praying this kind of prayer.

Q4. (139:23-24) Why is this prayer of surrender to God so difficult to pray? When was the first time you prayed this kind of prayer to God? What was the result? Can a person be a genuine disciple without praying this kind of prayer?

The petition at the end of this psalm, where David prays that God will search his heart and try his thoughts is difficult for those of us who are not ready to place our complete trust in the Lord. To be honest, I vacillate between being honest in praying this request, and not being able to pray this request. Times when I feel, or have been told, that I am 'mean' or 'evil', I have prayed for God to search my heart, and "see if there be any wicked way in me". This was the first psalm I committed to memory in my return to a Christ-filled life, it's been a part of my prayers and meditations for about six months now. I am making progress, I think, in living more of a life that glorifies God, but I haven't felt any overwhelming revelation... yet.

I do believe that it is absolutely necessary for one to pray this type of prayer to be a genuine Christian. Whether we use the exact words from one translation or another, or use our own words is immaterial. In fact it is probably better to meditate on the concepts, and express our feelings in our own way. I try to do both, and to leave a lot of silence as I consider just what I am asking, this holds true for any prayer.

• 3 weeks later...

Because we like control and being in charge of our lives makes us feel important. 6 years ago Total surrender Allowing God to take charge of my life was a new beginning for me and my family. No if one doesn't pray a pray of surrender God can not help this person for they will not relinquish control.

• 2 weeks later...

It is difficult to pray a prayer of surrender because it means exposing ourselves more to what God expects of us, rather than what we feel comfortable doing. We may have to go and apologise to someone, confess a sin to someone we may have cheated, etc so our pride is at stake. We also feel more vulnerable when we surrender. We know that God expects more from us so we have to work hard at our salvation.

I prayed this prayer a long time ago and I did feel as I've explained above. I also felt afraid that what I had prayed, God would send tests as well. It has taken many years and I'm still learning, but I've learned that if I truly want a mind of Christ I do need to prayer a prayer of surrender every now and again.

If we don't totally submit everything we are, everything we own, then we are are only lukewarm disciples.

• 5 months later...

Surrender is an act of totally giving everything to God which includes not only ourself but our possessions too and that is not easy.

About 2 years ago as I was listening to a song, the anointing and presence of God fell on me and for the first time I was truly able to surrender to God.

This brought me into a new place in Him and I love Him for it.

Yes, I believe one can be a genuine disciple of Jesus without this prayer. I was for many years but now my love and walk with the Lord is a different level and I praise Him for it.

• 2 months later...

SOMETIMES IT'S OUT OF FEAR AND LACK OF UNDERSTANDING AND KNOWING THE GOD THAT WE REALLY SERVE. SOMETIMES WE ARE NOT WILLING TO GIVE UP THE OFFENCIVE WAYS OR SOMETIME OTHERS THINK THEY ARE NOT LIKE THAT SO THEY DON'T NEED TO PRAY THAT WAY.

THE FIIRST TIME I PRAYED THIS WAY WAS DURING MY DIVORCE AND I REALIZED HOW BITTER AND RESENTFUL I HAD BECOME FULL OF UNFORGIVENESS.

IT MADE ME REALIZE HOW WEIGHTY A BURDEN I WAS CARRY AROUND. I WAS A MUCH FREEEER PERSON HAVING VERBALIZED ALL OF IT TO THE LORD, I HAD MORE JOY AND BECAME LESS DEPRESSED.

I DON'T THINK SO. THE BIBLE TELLS US THAT IN US LIES NO GOOD THING. WE SIN IN OUR VERY THOUGHTS. WE CANNOT ENCOURAGE SOMEONE TO DO WHAT WE ARE NOT WILLING TO DO.

• 4 months later...

We want to be in control.

We don't want somebody else for us to decide what to do.

We don't want somebody else to guide us.

We can't be a true disciple if we don't give Him control.

My 'personal' prayer of surrender is in Luke 1:38.

Another good one is in Matthew 26:39.

I think the prayer of surrender is difficult to pray because, many dont understand that this prayer is important to our christian development. I prayed this prayer many times, more now then ever; and have been delivered and set free of many things that were bothering me. I think that our walk with God changes and goes to a higher relm when we pray this prayer. As a disciple we should be about growing, developing and understanding the plan of God in our lives; thats why the prayer of surrender is important. I think you can be a disciple of christ, believing in God words and all; but we must surrender our all to God.

Patricia

• 1 month later...

We don't want to surrender to anybody.

Even though we should pray like Mary in Luke 1:38.

We can't serve God if we don't completely surrender to Him.

Jesus told us so many times, most clearly in Luke 14:27.

27 Whoever doesn

• 2 weeks later...

" Search me, O God, and know my heart "

It's so difficult to pray to be 'refined' as I feel we are being refined slowly as we try to tread the narrow sometimes difficult path which we have been given by God.

I always find prayer difficult, God is with me at all times, he already knows my innermost thoughts.

I want to pray to him more readily and hope that this study will help me to pray to our Lord with greater ease.I feel sure I have been guided to do this study as an answerto my prayer for help in that direction.

• 5 months later...

Q4. (139:23-24)

Why is this prayer of surrender to God so difficult to pray?

What was the result? Can a person be a genuine disciple without praying this kind of prayer?

I think we want to be in control of our lives, and it is very difficult to surrender all to God. We need to pray this not because we think we are living a righteous life and have no sin. It is because we have drawn close to our Heavenly Father and in His presence we are so aware of our own sinfulness, and are scared of any hidden evildoings or thoughts we have made. We ask that these wicked ways be exposed so that we can confess them and they may be forgiven. Finally we also pray for God to lead and guide us into eternal life with Him. I must say, it was only after a long time as a Christian that it ever occurred to me to pray this prayer. Only now as I

• 1 month later...

Everyone wants to have complete control over their own lives. The prayer of surrender is so difficult to pray because we release the control and we now submit totally to God. This can be a painful process because we may not understand or even like the things God wants us to do. But if we are willing to obey, the process of surrendering becomes easier.

I prayed this prayer only a couple of years ago, after being a Christian for over 20 years. I am a slow learner. :(

We cannot be a genuine disciple if we want to continue to cling on our old way of life and not giving it to Jesus.

• 1 month later...

We must be honest with ourselves and say, Lord I need help. To ask for help is to surrender our wills over to another. This is hard when we all like to be in control of our life.

When was the first time you prayed this kind of prayer to God? What was the result?

The first time was my conversion experience in October, 1986. The result was a new life a new chance on life. Since then my life has be different. What is interesting after 24 years I still feel like a child who needs His Father.

Easy believeism and the wild prosperity gospel of wealth and health have conquered the church. I can`t find these extremes in the Bible. A disciple is a person who actually surrenders to his teacher. No true discipleship happens by chance. Surrender is always involved. If there is no commitment it is easy for this person to be a disciple of Jesus while it is convenient and later a disciple of some other trend (Eph 4:12-13).

• 5 months later...

It is difficult to surrender to His examination. It is embarrassing and convicting. It hurts to know how sinful we are and our nature rebells against this "enlightenment". But it is the only way to salvation: to understand that we need a Savior.

• 4 months later...

This prayer of surrender to God is difficult to pray, because it is hard to give over control to someone else.

I prayed this type of prayer several times in my Christian life. The first time was for salvation when I surrendered my life to Christ as my Savior, later when I rededicated my life back to Christ fully after straying, and over the years I have had to surrender my will and my way to God’s will and His ways.

What was the result?

The results of surrender brought, freedom, peace, strength, comfort, and spiritual victory that only comes from giving my life over to a Holy God.

No!!! A genuine disciple is one who has fully given their life over to the Lord, for His service and purpose. By fully, I mean that there are disciples who are not totally following the Lord in their daily lives and are not praying without ceasing, studying the Word daily, attending church regularly for fellowship and worship. In which, God in His Word, the Bible, has instructed us to do.

• 1 year later...

Asking God to search you means He and I are discussing this together. This may be the hard part. God already knows all about us but facing God is hard because then we are aware of His interaction, one that cannot be avoided in our awareness of Him. God is faithful, He will respond. Being a disciple is a life long process. Not all of us have truly let go with 100 percent trust. As He draws us closer and He changes us through the processes of life that He chooses then we give more and more without hesitation as the trust builds. It is hard to pray that prayer at times and other times you know the outcome will give you perfect peace. I am at a stage in life when I find this easier than I ever did. So my answer is yes you can be genuine because He is patient to break your chains of fear and prove Himself. I am given over to the Lord but in the beginning I was afraid of what He would say to me but I served Him daily wholeheartedly.

• 2 years later...

Why is this prayer of surrender to God so difficult to pray?

The fear we have of exposing our inner most thoughts and sins to God. Only a person who has come to trust God can sincerely pray for God to refine him or her.

4/25/2015 at approximately 3:06 EST

What was the result?

Fear, anxious, vulnerable, relief, hope that God will help me to become the man he ordained me to be.

No! Unless a man is willing to follow Jesus down the path that leads him to the way everlasting, he will never see heaven. Jesus tells us in Matthew 7:13-14 that if you enter through the wide gate, broad is the road that leads to destruction. But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it." You want to be on the right path, not the wrong path. so you pray that awesome, trusting prayer to Jesus, the Guide: "Lead me in the way everlasting" (Psalm 139:24b).

• 1 month later...

People do not want to surrender control of their life to anyone. We are afraid of what would happen to us. We fear the unknown. We are afraid of what would be requested of us. We are afraid that we would be hurt. I think that I asked God to take over my life after my head injury. I did not know where to go or how to do it myself. I was devastated. God did try to guide me. And most of the time, I did listen. But I found that when I did not pay attention to the nagging voice in my head, my life would end in chaos. But somehow, God used the chaos to push me back on the path that he wanted me on to begin with. God has some ideas that he wants us to with our lives. And I have personally found out that you can not do it yourself. You need to give control of your life to God. You need to stay on the path no matter what happens or what the tests are. Because, God needs us to learn some hard lessons so we can be the best we are to be.

• 1 month later...

I think that the prayer of surrender to God is so difficult to pray because we don’t want to give up any of the control that we think that we have. We want to be our own boss and don’t want anybody telling us what to do. I don’t know the first time that I prayed this kind of prayer to God but I do know that the results have been fantastic. We have to turn our lives over to God so we need to pray this kind of prayer.

• 4 months later...

Prayer of surrender to God requires complete obedience to His will and word. Our will must be surrendered to Gos as primary condition to all successful praying. There can be no true,honest praying when the will is not wholly and fully surrendered to God. Many a times we partly surrender to God. It is like riding on two horses. We want to live the way of this world and at the same time try to lead a Christian life. We want to live a surrendered life according to situation and convenience.

I pray everyday surrendering my life to God. Though it is hard to live such life in this sinful and wicked world, God by His grace and mercy is helping me to overcome and lead a victorious life.

By meditating God's word I am comforted,encouraged and disciplined. One cannot be a genuine disciple unless he has surrendered his body,mind and soul wholly and completely to God.

• 4 years later...

David’s hatred for his enemies came from his zeal for God. David regarded his enemies as God’s enemies, so his hatred was a desire for God’s righteous justice and not for personal vengeance. Is it all right to be angry at people who hate God? Yes, but we must remember that it is God who will deal with them, not us. If we truly love God, then we will be deeply hurt if someone hates him. David asked God to search his heart and mind and point out any wrong motives that may have been behind his strong words. But while we seek justice against evil, we must also pray that God’s enemies will turn to him before he judges them.

• 2 years later...
On 10/20/2005 at 9:31 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

A prayer f surrender means giving someone else full authority to do as they please and have full reign over our lives. I have been in a place before where I didn't want to surrender all of me to God. Just like Pastor Wilson said, "we are too scared of what God may test us with." The not knowing what God may throw our way is scary, but like Pastor Wilson said, "if we trust in Him completely, and as you've learned from David,  to trust the seeking, questing, probing God, you are now able to surrender yourself to him willingly, actively to his refining care. 

I pray this prayer all of the time. I ask God to reveal what is in my heart that I may repent and turn away from my sins. When its comes to asking God to test me, I don't think I have prayed that part before. I am not sure of what I pray all of the time is the same prayer as asking God to test me though. 

I say no. I don't know how can someone truly be a disciple of Jesus Christ if they haven't been tested with tests and trials in their lives? You can't connect with anyone if you haven't been through something, and only God was able to bring you out of it and give you hope. 

• 1 year later...

This kind of prayer is difficult to pray because it is surrender.  It is one thing to ask Jesus to be SAVIOR, but entirely another to ask Him to be LORD.  For me the events were three years apart.  When I accepted Jesus' death on the Cross for me, I did not understand that I needed to do anything else.  I did not understand discipleship. So, three years later, God brought me to a place where I knew He could handle my life better than I could handle it--I surrendered to His Lordship.  Since that time He gently deals with the refining process in my life.  I do not remember when I first prayed the words of Psalm 139:23-24, "Search me, O God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts. See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting." But I do pray this. Can a person be a genuine disciple without praying this kind of prayer?  Yes, I believe we become a genuine disciple as we meet Him at the cross and follow Him.  Will he lead all of us to this point: yes.