JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Prayer and Mourning

Q1. (1:1-6) Why does Nehemiah pray day and night for four months? Why does he fast and weep? Isn't that excessive?

:rolleyes: The time, four months, is given to us not to measure the time but the intensity and concentration with which Nehemiah prayed. We are supposed to pray without ceasing, according to Paul. So four months is nothing in comparison. In effect, whenever we take up intercession, it has to go on until we get an answer for it. That is the significance of the prayer of Nehemiah.

Fasting and weeping, again, is a sign of his deep commitment and involvement in the present affair. We weep only when our close relatives die or when deeply disturbed emotionally. Nehemiah was fasting and weeping in the sight of the Lord, in deep agony at the state of affairs of his native land. :mellow: He was feeling so dejected at the sorry state of affairs. He was feeling sorry at the rebellious attitude of his people which led to thier captivity and thier unrepentant attitude, still not lifting a finger to repair the city of God.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nehemiah's continual prayer is reflective of the intensity of his relationship with God. His seemed to be a very action oriented faith--rebuild, weep, fast, fall down; as if his whole being was driven to worship God by the knowledge of who God is. Excessive? I wonder if it hampered his work--didn't the King wonder where he was?

Q1. (1:1-6) Why does Nehemiah pray day and night for four months? Why does he fast and weep? Isn't that excessive?

Nehemiah has a great burden for his land and his people.He was desperate and He wanted God to intervene and have mercy.I believe his desperation over the state of his land led him to pray day and night.

He fasted and wept asking God to forgive him, his people and even their ancestors of their sin and wicked ways.He wanted God to intevene and have mercy.

No,when you are desperate and you know that only God can help,then it is time to seek God in humility and with a contrite heart.

Nehemiah prayed and fasted,expressing his sorrow for Israel's sin.

Nehemiah broke down and wept when he heard that Jersalem's walls still had not been rebuilt.He was upset because these walls meant safety from raids and symbolize strength and peace.He mourned for the Jews because they wouldn't rebuild the walls.I believe it depends on how grieved you are on a situation and how grieved your heart is for how long you feel you need to pray.It takes time for some people to be delievered,from a addiction or bondage,or for God to turn that circumstances around in a person.Some things just don't happen in a day and there are some that do.I have been desperate,for a child to be delievered from a very bad problem.Yes,it took time,but God moved in.I still pray even though my child is delivered.I pray for God to keep her from the evil,and keep her from temptation.God heard a mothers cry.Did I fast?No,but God new my heart,and the love I have for my loved ones.

Why does Nehemiah pray night and day for four months?

1. The responses of Pickledilly and Helenmm are good responses.

I believe as Helenmm did, in that the Spirit of God placed a burden on Nehemiah to intercede for his beloved nation and his utmost respect and love for his God. Nehemiah had a lot of bases to cover including coming before the King with a request that might have gotten him into a lot of trouble. He had to pray to God for the King's favour in this matter so he

might obtain permission from the king for that which was necessary to go

to his homeland and obtain the building materials to repair the city walls.

2.Why does he fast and weep?

Fasting and weeping was a strong religious custom for the Jewish people, but in Nehemiah's case , it became his purpose-filled life to seek God with

true repentance for the ministry of rebuilding the walls and fullfilling the call of God on his life. This is a good lesson for those of us who are unsure of the calling of God on our life, but a strong desire within us to fullfill the will of

God in His plan for each one of us.

3. When it comes to knowing God's will, we should go to great lenghts to find

out what God is up too, and be ready for a move of God in our lives.

He's deeply affected by the news. He takes on their pain in a personal fashion...he takes it to heart. He fasts and mourns and weeps because it affects him so profoundly. It was customary to weep loudly. Weeping and mourning went along with fasting. For prayers to be effective, they must be made from a deep feeling and must be deeply sought after. I don't think this was excessive.

Why does Nehimiah pray day and night for four months?

He had a burden for the Jewish remment that had survived the exile.

He wanted God to intervene and have mercy on His people.

Why does he fast and weep?

He is deeply affected by the destruction of Jerusalem's walls and the burning of the gates.

The suffering of his fellow Jews in Jerusalem is his suffering.

Their pain is his pain.

Isn't that a bit excessive?

The scriptures tell us we are to 'pray without ceasing' and to be 'persistence in prayer'

Jesus told the parable about the widow who kept bugging the unjust judge until she received an answer.

I believe that Nehemiah prayed continuously because of his sorrow for the desolations of Jerusalem. In this prayer, he addressed God,he recognized God's character and made requests (6) to Him. He confessed the sins of Israel and his own sins as well as other short comings. Prayer is also a way to draw near to God. He was a man of prayer praying four months before making his request to the king.

Badnews has emotional effects on those who possess a caring heart. To sin against God is reason to weep.

If one wants God's blessing and a close relationship with Him, this was not excessive. Pray without ceasing.

Q1. (1:1-6) Why does Nehemiah pray day and night for four months? Why does he fast and weep?

Nehemiah is heavily burdened by the sorrow he feels about the state Jerusalem is in. Jerusalem is the jewel in Israel's crown and for it to be run down is a terrrible shame. Jerusalem is also extremely important to God and to His plans so that adds to the grief Nehemiah feels.

Isn't that excessive?

I think we need to learn from Nehemiah's example. Sometimes people expect quick answers to their prayers and are not dedicated to praying through on an issue until a release is felt or the answer is seen. My husband and I prayed for his father's salvation for about 5 years and praise God he did become a believer in Jesus last year! Many people have had to pray a lot longer before they have seen things come to pass. We need to be dedicated to prayer and I believe God was greatly pleased with Nehemiah's devotion and strong dedication to Jerusalem and to God and His plans.

• 4 months later...

Nehemiah fasted and prayed for several days , expressing his sorrow for Israel's sin and desire that Jerusalem would again come alive with the worship of the true God .Nehemiah demonstrated the elements of effective prayer :(1)Praise, (2) thanksgiving , (3) repentance, (4) specific reguest , and (5) commitment.

Heartfelt prayers like Nehemiah can help clarify ; (1) any problem you may be facing , (2) God's great power to help you , and (3) the job you have to take.

Fasting and Praying is still God's mighty force in solving problems today.Prayer and action go hand in hand .Through prayer , God guides our preparation , teamwork , and diligent efforts to carry out His will.

• 4 weeks later...

As David taught in Psalm 51:17, the sacrifices of God are a broken and contrite spirit. Nehemiah illustrates this by fasting and weeping. Along with a continual prayer for the stated 4 month period he is praying without ceasing, just as the Lord taught us in Luke 18:1-8 and reiterated by Paul in 1 Thes 5:17. This is a great test of our faith and a certain way to build it. We can never talk to the Lord enough so no, it is not excessive.

• 4 weeks later...

Nehemiah had a love for God's people and he prayed on behalf of them

Because God tells us to pray all the time and on all occasions

with all kinds of prayers It helps God see that we mean business and that it

is important to us. We need Him to answer our prayers and we are coming to

Him for the answers.

• 1 month later...

For believers,prayer is often an untapped resource or the last resort after every other possibility has been exhausted. Nehemiah's prayer was his immediate response. He knew that if the situation was to be corrected,God would be the one to accomplish it! This is a powerful reminder for us: We should fall on our knees so we don't fall on our face.

• 2 months later...

A1. His Jewish brothers and sisters are again suffering so much shame and disgrace in their own city Jerusalem because of the Samaritans' doings. This made him very sad. Their sufferings are his sufferings too. He took it upon himself (good as he was), like Daniel, the sins of the all the Jews, and prayed and knocked on God persistently for the deliverance of the people from pain and suffering. His fasting and weeping are all manifestations of his extreme sadness. For him, it isn't excessive because he believes that his people have really sinned against their awesome God.

• 2 months later...

The Jewish people are suffering, and God placed on Nehemiah's heart the suffering of the Jews. This is the reason for his fasting and weeping. I don't think it is excessive because of the extent of suffering the Jews experienced as a nation. We should keep in mind that the Jews are a proud people having been raised on the idea that they were God's chosen people.

• 2 months later...

:( Nehemiah prays day and night for four months because his heart is so heavy and burdened for his people. He knows they have strayed from obeying God. He needs to know what to do.

Nehemiah fasts and weeps for God to hear and forgive them of their sins which they have sinned against God. No, it is not excessive because he has to know God has forgiven them and is ready to restore them.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Q1. (1:1-6) Why does Nehemiah pray day and night for four months?

Nehemiah prayed day and night for four months because he was burdened as he confessed the sins of Israel.

Why does he fast and weep?

Nehemiah fasted because the petition was great. And he wept because he was genuinely sorry for his and the nation's sinning, and was in deep repentance.

Isn't that excessive?

No. When we intercede we ought to identify with those we are praying for and then be prepared to go before God in prayer until we hear from Him.

• 1 month later...

1). Nehemiah thinks his burden and grief about the state of Jerusalem was so deep and profound that everyday must have been affected by it. His heart must have been total broken and crushed with anguish. He is serious about his desire to see Jerusalem restored. He loves his people and he loves God. He wants his people back in Jerusalem where they can worship God.

2). Nehemiah continue to fast and weep, for God to hear and forgive their sins which they have sinned against God. He remained in an intensive state of grief, humiliy, repentance and petition over this shameful situation as he waited on the Lord for direction and vision.

3). It`s not excessive as fasting and praying has been God`s intention to shape and mold us to repentancy. Nehemiah believes that his people have really sinned against the awesome God and knowing that He has forgiven them and is ready to restore them

• 4 months later...

Nehemiah was burdened and heartbroken for the things that were going on. He fasted and wept and prayed to God almighty for forgiveness for the people and for help in this situation. We are to pray without ceasing so no it was not excessive. How can we ceasse to pray for people and their situations?

• 3 months later...

Nehemiah is trying to get God's attention. He is praying with a sense of urgency and persistence. He fasts and weeps due to the sorrow and sadness over the condition of Jerusalem and the Jewish people before God. He knows it is their sin against the Lord God Almighty that has put them in this situation. This is not excessive, God wants to see true repentance and recognition of sin.

• 7 months later...

I don't know why months went by unless it had something to do with serving the King, but we are suppose to keep seeking and asking as Jesus taught in the parable of the wicked judge, we should pray till we get an answer even if it is one we don't want. I don't think there is an excessive when it comes to God. He has His own time and is not dependant on our requests. I have been praying for years for healing for some friends and will keep praying till God heals them in what ever way He deems right.

• 2 weeks later...

Nehemiah was deeply affected because of the condition of Jerusalem and his people. He fasts and weeps because of his sorrow and to get in touch the our great and awesome God. He acknowledged the sin and accepted them as his own in praying for the remanent of Judah and Jerusalem.

God's people are willing to do what He lays on their hearts. In that respect, nothing is excessive.

• 1 month later...

Grief, sorrow, shame-these are the emotions that drove Nehemiah to pray in the manner he was praying. He needed answers and help from God, and he wanted God to see that he was desparate! I have gone to God in desparation looking for help. Only when we confess our sins and truly repent, can we find the comfort and help that God wants to give us.