JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Commander of the Armies of the Lord

Pastor Ralph

No man can look upon the face of God and live.  He is too powerful for the human mind and body to comprehend.  This is why God always appeared in a form that humans could look upon and not perish.  A burning bush , this angel.  This commander, this angel is God almighty, himself.  So he is neither enemy or friend.  He is God!  The significance of this is that God is in control of all things human.  Here, he is the commander in charge.  This is not Jesus because he had not come to earth as of yet, he would not come until the prophecy of his coming were fulfilled in the scriptures.  Although Jesus and God are one, God is the commander here appearing to Joshua.  During this encounter Joshua was humbled and realized that he was standing in the presence of God.  After this encounter Joshua was assured and confident that God would fight this battle and all he had to do was to trust and obey and do the will of God as he commanded.  This battle was not Joshua's battle and the army was not Joshua's to command.  The battle is God's and Joshua and everyone else is in God's service, His army, and He, God is in command.  We are always to do his will.. he strengthens us when we are weak but always fighting with and for us as long as we are trusting and obeying and doing what he commands us to do.  He is our leader, our commander, our fortress, our shield,  our almighty God,  EL Shaddai.

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 2/14/2006 at 8:41 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q1. (Joshua 5:13-15) Why did the Commander say he was on neither side? What is the significance of this? What did Joshua feel like during this encounter? How did he feel after this encounter?

When Joshua challenges him with, "Friend or foe?" why does the Commander answer, "Neither"? Isn't he for the cause of Israel's army? No. Israel's army must be enlisted in his cause. He is the Commander, not they. When things are difficult we wonder, "Is God on my side?" Wrong question. The more appropriate question is, "Am I on God's side?"

During the encounter, after the Commander informed Joshua who He was, Joshua knew he was in the presence of the Holy, As a result, he fell prostrate on his face before the Commander. After this encounter, Joshua was strengthened to complete the task set before him. He knew that God was fighting for and with him. He was not carrying this battle on his own. 

• 1 month later...

Q1. (Joshua 5:13-15) Why did the Commander say he was on neither side? What is the significance of this? What did Joshua feel like during this encounter? How did he feel after this encounter?

Jericho was looming in front of Joshua. It was a massive, walled city and thus a formidable problem for Joshua. He was on the verge of war and the Lord appeared to him as a Man of war. Joshua asked on whose side He was on and the Commander replied neither. For the issue was not on whose side the Commander was on but on whose side Joshua was on. This is so relevant to us, because we usually want the Lord to side our aspirations, rather than submitting to what the Lord wants to do.

When the Lord appeared to Moses, He said, "Take off your shoes, for the ground you're standing is holy". Essentially the Lord was telling Joshua, as I was with Moses, I will be with you as your Commander. And as the Commander, He gave the strategy to Joshua of how they were to conquer Jericho. Following that strategy, the Israelites were able to conquer the city in just seven days. 

Initially Joshua might have been confused as to the identity of this Man with the drawn out sword. Joshua himself was a military leader, yet he recognized the One to whom he must submit to. Now it was not for him to give orders but to simply report to duty. When he recognized his Commander, and submitted to Him in reverential awe and humility, peace would have settled in his heart. Since the Lord had said that He had given Jericho into their hands, he must have felt that assurance within that they would indeed be victorious over this seemingly impenetrable city of Jericho. 

• 3 months later...
On 2/15/2006 at 5:41 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

He said He was on neither side because Joshua needed to see that it wasn't that God needed to be on his side, but rather that he needed to be on God's side. God doesn't pick sides. We need to be the ones who do and we need to choose to be on God's side, because that will always be the winning side. The significance of God saying He is on neither side opened Joshua's eyes to see that he had an encounter with God and God told him that He would lead the army into battle.

During the encounter, Joshua was humbled because God asked him to take off his feet as the ground was holy and did so immediately. This showed that he knew he was in the presence of God and was giving him reverence. After the encounter, he felt strong and courageous, not terrified or discouraged, because God was going before him and the army as their Commander.

• 6 months later...

When Joshua lifted up his eyes and saw a man with a sword drawn. He asked the question basically are you for me or against me. The commander of The Lord of Host came to do God’s will as we all should do. Joshua fell on his face to worship ready and willing to obey again as we all should do. It reminds me of Moses at The Burning Bush who was standing on Holy Ground. Divine Intervention guarantees victory.

• 4 months later...

The Commander said He was on neither side because it was God who was talking to Joshua; making sure he knew that God was with them. Yet in order for Joshua and the Israelis to win the battle they must be on God's side. 

The significance is that God was reminding them who was really in charge. That if they relied on hIM they would defeat Jericho. 

Joshua felt humbled and in awe of being before God. He recognized that God was holy and all powerful and he was not.

Joshua felt confident afterward and encouraged. He knew that God would be with them.

• 1 month later...

The Commander said that He was on neither side because He stands neutral when it comes to mankind.  He is the Creator of man and He loves every one of them/us.  He hates what we do in disobedience but He loves us.  I think that had Jericho chosen to ally themselves with Him, it would have been a different story (e.g. the people of Gibeon).

The significance of this is that Joshua recognized who was in control and that he had to receive and follow instructions, hence his fall to the ground and his question "what message does my Lord have for His servant?"

This is one time a heavenly body appeared to a human and did not say 'fear not'. So Joshua did not feel fearful.  I think he felt reverence, he felt awed, humbled and special (like a child whose daddy had just given him that particular thing he was secretly longing for).

After this encounter, I think Joshua really and truly realized what it was to feel 'strong and very courageous' for I am sure that is how he felt.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/14/2006 at 8:41 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q1. (Joshua 5:13-15) Why did the Commander say he was on neither side?  What is the significance of this? This may be because the battle was for God to fight and that it wasn't for Him to tell Joshua whose side He was on, but rather for Joshua to know that he was fighting for Commander God's army.  The significance is that we, as servants of God, need to have faith and trust in Him, that He is our friend, defender and warrior. We are not to ever question God's faith in us because if He is before you, He is with you. He will never appear before us to tell us He is representing our enemies.

What did Joshua feel like during this encounter? How did he feel after this encounter? I'm sure Joshua was in awe by this encounter. He must've felt strengthened, renewed  because the Lord God delivered victory for him. Suffice it to say, Joshua was not only grateful, but humbled by the experience. I suspect he would live out the remainder of his life extolling the virtue of his warrior God Yahweh. 

• 3 months later...

'The commander is The Almighty' and does not need to be on any one's side,  rather Joshua,  the people of Israel and by extension us should be the one to strive to be on His side. Joshua felt the presence of God the Man of War during the encounter and was assured of victory after the encounter. The significance is that the we need to align our plans to God's cause and not the other way round.

• 2 months later...

God had to teach Joshua that abandonment to God is essential.  Total allegiance!  The main issue is that Joshua and his people had to be fully aligned with God's plan.   The significance is that Joshua and Israelites had now come to realize that God alone is the Captain, leader and commander to the people, ISAIAH 55:4. 

At first, Joshua had great courage and resolution.  Not at all fearfully when he beheld this soldier.  But when he perceived that he was a divine person, he fell prostrate. He fell on the earth and worshiped God.  Christ was now his Lord and his Captain.  Joshua is now a soldier under him to his his commands, Matthew 8:9.

• 1 year later...

Because he came to represent the Lord's will not to take sides. The significance of this is that it is something we must remember. Are we doing The Lord's will? And are we on His side? We need to make sure that what we are doing is in line with God's plans.

I believe he felt good in amazement with the presence of God Almighty. After this encounter Joshua can be assured of God being with him and the victory.

• 1 year later...

Q1. (Joshua 5:13-15) Why did the Commander say he was on neither side?
The Commander was God the ruler over all things. He doesn’t pick sides we are to be on His side, we are to follow Him not the other way around.

What is the significance of this?

To remind us that God is ruler over everything, He’s the creator of all things. The creation (us) should always follow the creator. 

What did Joshua feel like during this encounter?  

I would imagine speechless, in awe to be kneeling at the LORD’S feet and to be in His presence.

How did he feel after this encounter?
Victorious 

• 1 month later...