JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Anger, Caprice, and Justice

Uncontrollrd anger is being angry at everything and it leads to more anger and violence .

When we see people in sin it should anger us because they are missing the mark of what God has for them, thus missing HIs best. Anger that berings about justice is doing somehting about the sin that surrounds us.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To me, when someone sins against me, it makes me sad, then it makes me angry. Then it takes a piece of my spirit - makes me untrusting, or unsure of entering into a situation that can make me feel those bad feelings again. When I sin, I feel mad at myself. I know it's wrong, so why did I do it? Why did I succumb? Am I not a good person? Am I unGodly?

If someone hurts you, and you purposely hurt them back, knowing that what you're doing is wrong, it's calculated. And that makes you just as wrong, if not worse. I don't know where the saying comes from, but I was always raised to think, "Two wrongs don't make a right". And it's true. I believe that God will take care of people's wrongs, I'm not in a position to do that on my own.

But, if you witness a man trying to rape a woman and you step in and hurt that person in order to stop them, and turn them into the police, that would be acted upon anger that was for a good cause.

• 1 month later...

:wub:

Anger is an appropriate response to sin because God hates sin not the sinner. On our part, anger is an appropriate responds to sin because we should be angry at sin not the sinner. Anger at sin makes us more closer to God, than the things of this of this world.

The difference between Capricious, uncontrolled anger is based on emotions not on the entelligent thinking or reasoning.

while anger that leads to justice is like the anger of Jesus Christ who drove out the businessmen, gamblers and traders in the temple. Here Jesus Christ got angry without sinning because of rigtheousness.

• 2 weeks later...

ANGER IS AN APPROPRIATE RESPONSE TO SIN BECAUSE WHEN SIN IS COMMITTED BY NOT KEEPING ANY OF GOD'S HOLY WORD, WHEN WE VIOLATE GOD'S COMMANDMENTS, ANGER IS USUALLY THE RESULT.AN EXAMPLE BEING WHEN JESUS GOT ANGRY THAT THE MONEYCHANGERS VIOLATED GOD'S TEMPLE BY SELLING MERCHANDISE.THEREFORE I SEE THIS AS HEALTHY, HOLY ANGER CAUSE IT MOTIVATES YOU TO DO SOMETHING.

UNCONTROLLED ANGER IS DANGEROUS;IT CAUSED MOSES TO MURDER THE EGYPTIAN BECAUSE HE TOOK THE LAW INTO HIS OWN HANDS.CONTROLLED ANGER OR ANGER WITHOUT SINNING CAUSES GOD TO COME ON THE SCENE AND GIVE YOU FAVOR IN THE SITUATION BECAUSE GOD SAYS HE WILL VINDICATE US AND VENGEANCE BELONGS TO HIM.........GOD BLESS....

• 2 months later...

Q2. Why is anger an appropriate response to sin? What is the difference between capricious or uncontrolled anger and anger that brings about justice?

Anger is an appropriate response to sin because sin should make us angry, it is unrighteous. Capricious or uncontrolled anger is anger that brings about vengeance, which belongs to God not us, anger that brings about justice is godly anger that is concerned about bring about God's righteousness.

• 2 weeks later...

Good posts! Julie makes an excellent point about anger not pouring out of pride, but out of righteousness. Juanita made the comment about the church sharing (to some extent) in this righteous anger. It is tough to do, but when indidvidual believers are walking in the Spirit, it becomes possible to without pride, share in the holy anger and to gently and lovingly correct with good timing. We'd see far more serious disciples of Christ (with a greater understanding and love for what Jesus has done for them, too).

Q2. Why is anger an appropriate response to sin? What is the difference between capricious or uncontrolled anger and anger that brings about justice? Exposition

Q 2 ) Why is anger :angry: an appropriate response to sin? what is the difference between capricious or uncontrolled anger and anger that brings about justice?

Anger is apart of everyone of us, it is part of our nature, uncontrolled anger is based on emotions, we are to hate sin but love the sinner, hence a Holy anger, ( Justice.)

• 2 weeks later...

Q2. Why is anger an appropriate response to sin? What is the difference between capricious or uncontrolled anger and anger that brings about justice?

Sin is offensive and angers God as it should us as well. If we do not react to sin it means that we are accepting of the sin. We have a right to be angry if we are harmed or wronged - but we should not react in a relatiatory manner. "Hate the sin, not the sinner".

• 2 weeks later...

Why is anger an appropiate response to sin? What is the difference between capricious uncontrolled anger and anger that brings about justice?

Anger is an appropriate response to sin because sin offends not only other people, but God as well.

Capricious uncontrolled anger done out of revenge is not good, because it leads to more sin. Anger that brings about justice lessens sin.

Anger is an appropriate response to sin in the fact that sin brings injury, harm, defilement and many other terrible effects, it destroys and breaks down relationships, and seperates us from God(Is 59-1,2)

James declares in 1:20 that the wrath of man does not produce the righteousness of God and usually when man gets angry it is usually because someone steps on his toes and he vents his anger by losing his temper. But not so with God He is slow to anger and His wrath doesn't contradict His love, He never suspends one of His attributes to exercise another. His righteous judgements remove everything that hinders love. In His longsuffering He will plead with sinners to turn to Him for mercy and forgiveness, but ultimately His Glory and nature will be established in His creation and the oppressed will be delivered from their sinful oppressors and in His righteous anger God will judge the world in righteousness. Praise Him for His tender mercy and forgiveness that through Christ we can experience His favor. An awesome verse in Psalm 30:5 reads,"His anger lasts for a moment but His favor lasts a lifetime!"

• 4 months later...

Anger is the only emotion that shows enough displeasure for the sinful act committed. Anything less would be tantamount to approval. The recipient knows EXACTLY what he/she did wrong. Also, knowing this from childhood, anger from the parent for some wrongdoing makes one think twice about repeating the act. It is a stop-dead-in-the-tracks type of thing.

Uncontrolled anger serves no good purpose. That anger is not channeled, is wasteful and it hurts feelings and confuses the person(s) at the receiving end. They feel justified in being hateful in return because they know they did not deserve to be punished.

• 2 weeks later...

Our Study of The Lamb of God has told us that "God is angry - not at humans for their own sake - but at their sin..."

To me one of the greatest examples of the expression of righteous anger is found in the Book of John, Chapter 3, beginning with verse 13:

"And the Jews' passover was at hand, and Jesus went up into Jerusalem, and found in the temple those that sold oxen and sheep and doves, and the changers of money sitting:

And when He had made a scourge of small cords, HE DROVE THEM ALL OUT OF THE TEMPLE, and the sheep and the oxen; AND POURED OUT THE CHANGERS' MONEY, AND OVERTHREW THE TABLES;

And Jesus said to them that sold doves, 'Take these things hence (away); make not My Father's House a house of merchandise.'

And His Disciples remembered that it was written, 'The zeal of Your House has eaten me up.'" Psalm 69:8-9 says of The Messiah, "I am become a stranger to My brethren, and an alien to My Mother's children. FOR THE ZEAL OF YOUR HOUSE HAS EATEN ME UP; AND THE REPROACHES OF THEM THAT REPROACHED YOU ARE FALLEN UPON ME."

Once again, The Lamb of God became a substitution! Jesus was wounded in Spirit for the transgression of the money changers. Isaiah had prophesied that "Jesus would be wounded for our transgressions, and bruised for our iniquities." (53:5)

Righteous anger against sin develops us into the Likeness of God's Son. The money changers were "a reproach" to His Father; the reproach against His Father touched the very essence of His Being!!

That is why it is to painful to see people mock God; for it injures the heart of the saint that is engulfed in The Love of The Father.

If there is one thing that keeps me on the straight and narrow, it is that it breaks my heart to injure The Holy Trinity that loves me so much.

And what do I think is "the difference between capricious or uncontrolled anger and anger that brings about justice?

Uncontolled anger can leave a devastating legacy; it can injure the heart and soul of the victim. Whereas anger that brings justice, can be used as a tool in The Hands of God to bring forth righteousness and obedience.

Jesus controlled His anger; He didn't smite the people; He scattered the objects that they were using to pollute His Father's House of Prayer. I am sure that His message went out loud and clear, and this passage has been used throughout the generations to show forth the holiness of God's House of Prayer.

I thank Our Lord for His Word, and the essence of His Life. Jesus is our greatest Example of how to live the life of a faithful and obedient Son; and He is, to The Glory of God, The exact Likeness of His Beloved Father.

Dear Father, please form every Believer that is reading this response into The Image of Your Dear Son; that we might truly "Behold The Lamb of God, Amen."

elsie

• 3 weeks later...

Anger is an appropriate repsonse to sin because it is deeply offensive to holy God. Sin is a perverting of God's law -- all that is holy, righteous and good. And it is rebellion. When my children don't do what I ask them to do, I get angry because they have chosen to ignore me - the parent, who they should respect and obey. How much more should we obey God, who created us, and the world in which we live. This is all for Him -- not ourselves. The difference between uncontrolled anger and anger that brings about justice is that one typically acts out of emotion (usually the way I respond because my pride has most likely been wounded to some degree), and one is completely just and right anger -- i.e., the sin is wrong and must be atoned for in the just way God has ordained. Righteous anger is much more "matter of fact" -- it is always about the wrongness of the offense.

• 3 weeks later...

Q2. Why is anger an appropriate response to sin? What is the difference between capricious or uncontrolled anger and anger that brings about justice? Exposition

The same difference that there is between contrition and attrition. God is angry because He created man to be holy and in total fellowship with Himself. Man decided they wanted more and separated themselves from God by sinning against God's holy Law. God is angry, but He is also just. Being just He gave us a way to reconcile ourselves to Him. He sent His Son (Agnus Dei-Lamb of God) to pay the penalty for man's sin against Him. God is angry because He loves us and wanted from the very beginning to be a Father to us, but like all rebellious child we wanted to be equal to our Father; not subject to Him. Now in our sinful state we look to Him for salvation and reconciliation. Generally through attrition: not contrition. Contrition generally comes later after the Holy Spirit talks hold of us and stings our hearts with guilt. Some kids luckily grow up in the Church and remain in God's loving arms from Baptism til death. People like myself have to live through many trails and tribulations before asking the father to welcome me into His family. Luckily we have a loving God that does, with open arms, (no pun intended) welcomes us all to His loving care; like a hen gathers her chicks. Anger is an appropriate responce to sin, but Love is a better one.

GOD also has anger if his people disobey him and also when people total turn against HIM. But our GOD is just and true to his word and the joice is left to oneself to accept the free gift of live.

People have anger in different ways to. Most are self centred.

He teaches us to be slow to anger and refenge is HIS.

• 4 weeks later...

Anger at sin is appropriate because God in His holiness despises sin. But He loves the sinner. Controlled anger, getting at the source of the sin--confessing & repenting brings healing and cleansing to the sinner.

Anger is an appropriate response to sin because we have been created in the image of God and sin destroys people. We should be angry that the creation most like the Lord Himself is being destroyed one sin at a time. The wages of sin is death, and man was created to have everlasting life - our anger toward sin should move us to reach a lost world. This is the difference in having a "justice" or righteous anger. I think of the anger that Jesus displayed in the temple when he cleared out the moneychangers. His anger toward the injustice (sin) toward the people needing a suitable sacrifice moved Him to confront the situation.

• 2 weeks later...

Sin is the act of doing wrong and I think that the Lord gets mad at us when we commit the same sin over and over again without even givining it a second thought. I think the the Lord's anger is very justifable since He died so that we can live with Him and there are people everywhere that have no faith in Him and dont seem to care that He suffered for them just as much as He did for me and you.

First of all to me any type of anger can be harmful, i am new at the bible so bear with me, i want to learn all i can..i worked in a busy emergency room and i have seen anger that became lethal like the kind that leads to violence..the bible says something about getting angry and sin not..to me i can understand how u can be angry and not sin. an example would be to discipline ur child or to discipline your child and say include curse words. , see the difference..anger is a great part of life, i guess thats why jesus talked about it, but when we become christians we can surely control it, even jesus became angry in the temple and boy did he clear out the sin...diane

• 4 weeks later...

Why is anger an appropriate response to sin?

We are to have a holy anger against sin. Even God gets angry at sin, but never the sinner, because of where it originates from, the devil. In using anger in response to sin, we must stand firm in Jesus name & come against the enemy who

• 2 months later...

We should have the character of God when angry.

God is merciful , gracious , loving , forgiving . He is " slow to anger ' and His Love cannot be diminished.

• 6 months later...

Why is anger an appropriate response to sin?

I believe anger is an appropriate response to sin because when you care about someone, sometimes anger is the correct response. It lets the other person know they have crossed a line. In general, lines are there for a reason: for security, for clarity. If you choose to cross the line, you pretty much do so at your own risk. The thing is, when you find yourself angry that someone has crossed the line then it is pertinent to deal with it quickly because anger that is not dealt with turns into resentment and then into bitterness. Bitterness is always sin. Resentment is always sin. These two things indicate a conflict. A lot of stress is just conflict that's never been dealt with. To deal with a conflict you have to confront it. Most people do not like confrontation. I say grab the bull by the horns and ride it for all it's worth. No Fear! Like what is there to be afraid of, especially if you approach the situation with a loving heart and the truth? However, most people fear confronting another person or group of people about a conflict. The best thing you can do is keep your cool in situations like that. Just go to the person(s) with a loving spirit speak the truth in love. Being a hothead simply doesn't accomplish much more than create hard feelings and stir up the stink. A good rule of thumb is... be quick to listen, slow to speak, and slow to anger. I'm certain that's why God gave us two ears and one mouth. So we can listen twice as much as we talk. Experience talkin. If you've done your part, regardless of their response, the rest is the other person

Immediately the scripture James 1:19-20 comes to mind, "Know this, my beloved brethren. Let every man be quick to hear, slow to speak, slow to anger, for the anger of man does not work the righteousness of God.

There is an "anger of man" that leads to sin, and then, there is God's righteous anger that stems from His Holiness. God's anger is always justified in that it brings about righteous judgement. Only God can fully see the truth about every situation. Only God can see the depths of our hearts. Only God can function as the righteous judge of all humanity.

As far as man goes, we may find ourselves angry at all sorts of things or find ourselves easily angered, or in a place of uncontrollable rage. Our emotions are definitely God given. However, scripture states "Be angry but do not sin; do not let the sun go down on your anger, and give no opportunity to the devil." Ephesians 4:26-27. Our anger, if not handled rightly can give opportunity to the devil. In the midst of what can be a very powerful emotion, the temptation to sin can creep in. We must guard ourselves in these moments. We are made in God's image, and as new creatures in Christ, our natures conform more and more to His Holy nature, then we may experience more of that righteous anger that rises up at the evil and injustices in the world. We also should then be conforming to His Holiness by way of our response in that we learn to "be angry, but do not sin."

Sin is is usually a deliberate act of disobedience which causes anger in a righteous, loving God. Righteous anger is not uncontroleld or capricious but is meted out as due to the person who has broken the law and is not done with sudden anger but with a controlled anger that is explained and should be expected. If one breaks a natural law, there are consequences and this is also true of God's law.

Q2. Why is anger an appropriate response to sin?

Anger is an appropriate response to sin because it goes against the holiness and righteousness of God and is offensive to God.

What is the difference between capricious or uncontrolled anger and anger that brings about justice?

Actions as a result of capricious or uncontrolled anger may be directed toward the person as opposed to it being directed toward the sin itself. Anger that brings about justice is directed at the sin and teaches what is unacceptable behavior.