JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Anger, Caprice, and Justice

Anger is appropriate response to sin because it show where our hearts are and anger often times leads to change and a stronger loyality to God.

Anger that brings out justice is controlled and focused toward an offense. Uncontrolled anger is just that uncontrolled.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not sure if God gets angry at every moment humans commit sin. I wonder that being slow in anger means that Our Father knows we all commit sin, the thing is are we aware of it, do we repent as soon as we realize it? Perhaps this is why Our Merciful Lord is slow in anger. When He punished His people, Israel, He does it after many years of continuous sin that made His people callous and they did not take time to analyze what they were doing, same as today, we are so bussy or we say, these are these times, we have to allow things that 20 years ago, we said were sins. Well. they are still sins. We have become callous or worst, we know we allow this behaviour and do not have the courage to break with family and friends because we know we will be alone, outcasted. I pray Our Lord to give me the courage to allow my anger at myself and at the sin and rise my voice to confess and say to others that I will ask forgiveness for my sins against them and ask them not to tell me things they know I do not approve. The most wonderful thing we have is Jesus. He took our sins away and when we fall, we can count on HIm to help us raise again.

• 2 weeks later...

Response to sin by whom is a good point. That clever Ralph often makes us THINK, huhb?

Anger by God because he is Holy. By us, as we are to have the mind of Christ, and thus are of the family of God and thus should find sin repugnant.

It takes time, but thanks to ALL who posted. The forum is an education apart from and yet part of the particular study!!!

Even before I got to Julie's post I thought and experienced this as a kind of "assembling together"

Capricious anger arises more from our personal emotions and is not connected to necessarily to

holiness or justice.

Thanks again ALL

Q2. Why is anger an appropriate response to sin? What is the difference between capricious or uncontrolled anger and anger that brings about justice?

God is Holy and commands us to be holy also. When we sin we break this commandment and rightfully deserve to incur God's wrath and righteous anger. God is angry with the sinner - why else would He condemn the unrepentant sinner to eternal punishment? God is a God of justice as well as mercy - when He punishes He does so to satisfy His justice and not out of arbitary anger.

• 1 month later...

Anger is a tricky thing. We should be angry about sin because it is a rebellion against God. But, we also have to look at the situation of the sinner. Does this person have a knowlage that he is sinning? If the sinner was raised by parents that have taught him that it is O.K. , Then we need to lovingly let the person know that it is against God. We also have to ask ourselves 'am I angry because it is sin or am I angry because "I" don't like it. The bible tells us to sin not in our anger. So how we respond it anger is very important. We could respond in such a way that the person knows that we are concerned about their soul, or we could respond in a way that may turn a sinner off from ever wanting to know what God is about.

• 3 weeks later...

Why is anger an appropriate response to sin? What is the difference between capricious or uncontrolled anger and anger that brings about justice?

I think that we humans have a hard time realizing that God isn't mad at us and ready to punish us when we sin. We humans have a tendency toward anger/retaliation in our nature and try to foist the same feelings onto God. I feel, when I have sinned, that I've made God cry. I guess I base that on parenting--I have never been mad when my children misbehaved--I've just been hurt and disappointed that they disobeyed or did not follow my teaching. And I've had to repremand them in some fashion so that they will remember the mistake and not repeat it.

The anger that brings about justice is a righteous anger, I think. I have felt that righteous anger many times as a teacher in a school with several different minority groups. That anger carried me through and made me make a stand for equal treatment for those minorities against students and even other teachers who sought to treat them differently. The type of anger that brings justice is controlled by our minds. We see an injustice and then decide what we, individually, can do about it.

An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth comes from uncontrolled anger, I think--sheer retaliation or revenge. Anyone in a rage is letting raw emotions drive him/her instead of sound mind and logic. When the rage is gone, what is left? Are things different? Usually the change that has been made is worse, the problem has been escalated.

• 3 weeks later...

Anger is an appropriate response to sin because it's an emotional method by which we express our displeasure and disagreement with sin.

Capricious or uncontrolled anger is usually directed at a person, whereas anger that brings about justice is directed at an injustice or something that has happened, not necessarily the person who did it.

• 3 weeks later...
Q2. Why is anger an appropriate response to sin? What is the difference between capricious or uncontrolled anger and anger that brings about justice?

What's odd to me in all the posts I've read, and a quick Internet search, is the lack of a non-circular definition of anger. There are entries that define anger as a state of being angry. Wikipedia defines anger as "subjectively experienced as an aroused state of antagonism toward someone or something perceived to be the source of an aversive event." This is a good description, but it doesn't really define anger. The entry goes on to assert that anger is an emotion, but it is aroused presumably by something in this description.

What really is anger? What causes it? And how does it differ from other emotions such as fear or hatred?

To me, it comes about when expectations aren't met...an "aversive event" perhaps. If one is used to things being a certain way, and expects that way to continue, one's initial reaction to things not being that way is certainly not happiness, nor love, nor curiosity. (The latter does arise if one is "studying" something; but if one is just going about things, unmet expectations usually irritate one. That irritation is a mild form of anger.)

What then can one say about anger in response to sin? Sin is missing the mark, a mark one presumably wants to hit. If you are aiming at something, you likely want to hit it. That is, you want things to happen so that you achieve what you want, moving away a bit from the notion of aim, and miss, and target. You want a future event to conform to your desire--you want your expectation met. You want things to be the way you want them to be.

Anger appears to be our response to that future event not turning out as we would like it to. The degree of our anger, I'd say, is a function of how badly we wanted that event to turn out the way we desire. As a human, I not only have to deal with the fact I won't get what I wanted, but also with the fact that I can't control events to get what I wanted. "Control" may be the operative word here.

What I'm describing, likely imperfectly, is a vary basic human reaction springing from not getting what we want. Or getting what we don't want, which is just another way to say it.

So, why is it an appropriate response to sin, the sin we understand from a Christian worldview? It is entirely appropriate if you love God; then, you see it for what I think sin really is--our desire to be "as gods," "doing what is right in our own eyes," that is doing our own thing without a thought for God and His Holiness. It is an affront to our Creator, the only one who really should have His way.

But what if you don't love God? Then I'd guess it is only appropriate to be angy with sin because you're harmed by it in some way, in some way that you didn't expect. We have laws to live by, secular laws to define acceptable and unacceptable behavior with penalties for non-compliance. These laws enable most everyone to be angry about those who break the laws we expect everyone to live by. (To me, this helps explain why there's no honor among thieves. They really shouldn't expect it, and shouldn't be angry when someone steals something from them.)

OK, so what about capricious anger or uncontrolled anger, and how it differs (if at all) from anger that brings justice? Capricious is defined as something that is "determined by chance or impulse or whim rather than by necessity or reason". Given my assertion on the root of anger, I'm not sure there is such a thing as capricious anger. Perhaps one can be so moved by so many things that don't turn out as he would have them that a more steady-state sort of "background" anger leads to outbursts over what others would consider to be small things. This could be seen as whimsical, perhaps; arbitrary may be a better word.

Uncontrolled anger is another thing. It seems to me to be descriptive of such an emotionally overwhelming state that reason is simply shut down. It suggests something unquenchable as well, as if the angry one flails about until they are out of energy. Until then, best to just stay out of the way.

Anger that brings about justice is confusing to me. One definition of justice is "the ideal, morally correct state of things and persons". If you want a morally correct state of things, it seems that anger could only produce fear that could in turn produce changes in behavior that could lead to the correct state. It could also produce rebellion if there is disagreement on just what the "correct" state is. (I have a problem with the definiton; it looks like Eden to me, something we can dream about but that none of us have experienced. So how can we have it, in that we wouldn't know it if we did?)

Regardless of all this, I do see that capricious or uncontrolled anger is less desirable than anger that brings about justice. If anger can bring us closer to that correct state, it is far more preferable than arbitrary outbursts or primitive rage.

When we sin we oppose to God;

~ I can be unaware of my sin if i don't know what is God's willing about a situation, it is still sin because my ignorance does not justify me. so the anger of God can let me understand that i did something wrong, something that doesn't please Him. (Like,when i have an internal pain, i can't see any wound but i can understand some thing's wrong :unsure: )

~I can be aware of my sin, here it is like i show contempt for the riches of kindness, tolerance and patience, not realizing that God's kindness leads me toward repentance. And His anger can remind me that He wants me to care about our relationship and my sin is harmful to a closer relationship with Him.

I think we should consider this as an emergency, because if the God who create all things, the the great King above all gods, is anger against someone, to whom this person should refuge, where should he/she find rest, except that he /she offers the sacrifice required which is a broken and contrite heart and He will not despise.

I thing the anger that brings justice want us to be conscious of our fault, to be aware that our God is disappointed, and here is a call to become maturer... But the uncontrolled anger may not pay attention if the person who offends has any regret, it doesn't give any opportunity for repentance...

• 2 weeks later...

I feel that Righteous anger, can be Right if it is aimed at a sin , It can bring about Justice. Jesus was angry in the Temple, with the money changers.

But it becomes a sin, When it gets out of control, and it is aimed at someone. and that person is hurt, both physically and mentally.

• 4 months later...

Sin occurs. And it hurts people. It hurts those we know, the ones we love and even ourselves. So when we are angy at sin, it is to be a righteous anger - not judgemental, nor hateful, nor even vindictive. Just a look at the act and anger toward the act. We fight against :

Eph 6:12

For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age, against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places.

NKJV

To bring judgement against those who have committed the sin, depends on the sin. One which you must sit on a jury may require you to review evidence with an open mind and looking only at the sin and evidence. Not the way the person looks, their background, their upbringing, their parents, or any of that... just the facts. Another is to simply pray for this person once they have sinned. After all, they will answer to God and God alone. We are no better than the next man as:

Rom 3:23-24

for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God,

NKJV

• 4 months later...

Anger is an appropriate response to sin so that we will hate sin. When we are angry at somebody we began to hate him/her. The more frequent we are angry at somebody the more we don't like him. We should have the same attitude to sin.

Uncontrolled anger usually cause us to commit sin which does not please God. Anger that brings about justice is anger to sin not to the sinner. While we are angry we should not forget the love of God in us. Righteousness should rule in our heart at any instance of our lives.

• 3 months later...

1. Anger shows an response to an action. If I don't care about someone, I won't be as emotional about a perceived or intended slight that is made to me. If I don't care about 'sin', I become passive and complacent. Anger is active!

2. Anger can be "rage" - unfocused, sudden, very often with an intent to hurt another person (either physically or emotionally. We speak of someone being a "rageaholic" - usually someone who flies off the handle at the least little thing, often out of proportion to the offense (real or imagined).You never know what will set this person off.

Anger can be focused with the intent to bring about change : I can be angry with my child's behavior which will lead me to discipline or set limits for their own good, and to reinforce that is not behavior/action to be repeated!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Why is anger an appropriate response to sin?

God is angry with us when we sin. It is an appropriate response because God is just. By showing anger, He uphold justice and holiness. However, He is also loving and gracious because He provides a way for atonement of sins, so that He can offer forgiveness to us when we repent of our sins.

What is the difference between capricious and uncontrolled anger and anger that bring about justice?

Uncontrolled anger does not seek reconciliation. It is not motivated by love, grace and mercy. Our God is full of love, grace and mercy, hence His justice justify His anger.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

anger is a sin to god.,we need to remeber that we do not get alot out of angerf towards other people{god said to love your emenies}.we need to reliaze what were doing before we judge other people actions.god is displease with us when we our angery all the time.take the time to ponder what yourgonna say before it comes out of your mouth and before u hurt someone else.

• 4 weeks later...

Anger is a secondary emotion to deal with pain or fear.

God must be angry because in his holyness He can't tolerate it.

Uncontrolled anger leads to revenge, bad things.

His anger will bring justice.

Lassez-faire would not bring justice.

Therefore He must be angry.

• 2 months later...

They say anger is always a secondary emotion, that some other emotion such as hurt or sadness happens, and anger is a way to cover it up. Also, I just read yesterday that all cultures know what anger, sadness, disgust, and other "negative" emotions look like, across cultural boundaries, but the social cues for joy, appreciation, contentment, etc are difficult for people from different culture to recognize in each other. I don't know what that means, just thought it was interesting.

But I know for a FACT that I have experienced raw anger, that wasn't based on being hurt or sad or frustrated. It was a lie, and as soon as I heard the truth, I literally saw red. I have also been angry in response to hurtful or frustrating things, too.

Yet I think God has raw anger always, concerning sin. I don't understand His "need" for blood sacrifice, that is why did He set it up so that blood must be shed in order for sin to be cleansed? He didn't "have to" bring blood into it, did He? but I do know that His anger about sin is WHY blood sacrifice is needed...maybe all the blood is so we humans could begin to understand how ugly and wrong sin is.

Vengeance is the goal with unrighteous anger; justice is done when righteous anger prevails. When I think "Justice" the law comes to mind. As in, a court room, a trial, or the application of law in determining the punishment for crimes committed. The law is in place already; the judge determines how the law applies to this crime. God in His anger isn't bent on revenge against us, but is determined that the Law be obeyed. He is angry, but doesn't let that cloud His judgment.

Most would agree that anger is usually (or always) a secondary emotion. There is something under the anger. Righteous anger has the love, mercy, and justice of God underneath. Capricious or uncontrolled anger has the pride, greed, or self-centeredness of man underneath.

We should all be angry when we sin because it separates us from the Love of God and His plan for us.Uncontrolled anger causes additional sin to enter our lives by lashing out at something or some one. We need to remind ourselves as Paul state in your anger sin not when we are sinful we need to seek forgiveness and we need to forgive when someone sins against us. Anger that brings justice is righteous anger when we sin we must be willing to accept the punishment of the justice afforded that sin.

Anger is an appropriate response to sin because sin is an immoral act against God and man.

Capricious cannot accurately describe the God of the old testament because God did not act merely our of anger. Nor, is he perpetually angry. God loves us, but we do have to pay for our sins.