JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Anger, Caprice, and Justice

• 9 months later...
  • Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anger is appropiate because sin is against the nature of God what is not appropiate is to create another sin out of the anger. Capricious anger is manifested when in anger your trying to try to bring justice to yourself for being wronged. What I call as Holy or Godly anger is when the injustice brings anger because it offends God and you speak against this unjustice.

• 8 months later...

In the New Testament, I don't believe anger is an appropriate response to sin. God has shown me several times how different His 'seeing' is than mine. God sees the heart of the person and has great compassion. We see the outward and tend to be judgmental. There are several illustrations I could give, but I believe they would offend, so instead I will use examples from the bible. The woman with the alabaster jar was a great sinner, yet she washed Jesus' feet with her tears. Jesus said that she loved much because she had been forgiven much. Peter denied Jesus three times, but Jesus didn't come back and become angry at him. He asked him three times, Do you love Me?

We are all sinners and anger is one of the worst sins there is. We have children killing each other in school. If we want to see murder stopped, it must start with stopping anger. Jesus showed us that on the cross. He was perfect and holy with no sin. If anyone was justified in being angry it was Jesus, but He showed us a 'more excellent way,' the way of forgiveness and love.

“You have heard that it was said to the people long ago, ‘You shall not murder,and anyone who murders will be subject to judgment.’ But I tell you that anyone who is angry with a brother or sisterwill be subject to judgment...." (Matt. 5:21-22)

• 1 month later...

Why is anger an appropriate response to sin?

It indicates sin as wrong, reviled and despised. It goes against God's holiness and righteousness.

What is the difference between capricious or uncontrolled anger and anger that brings about justice?

Capricious anger could lead to reactive action that will not resolve the problem nor bring about justice.

I DO NOT think anger is an appropriate response to sin. I think our response to sin should be prayer and confession to our Heavenly Father. We have a God who sacraficed His only son for "OUR SINS" and He was not angry when He did this. He did it out of His great love for us. He did it to set us free.. OH WHAT A SAVIOR!!!!

Caprecious anger is spiteful, resentful and always uncontrolled. Anger that brings about justice is always controlled.

Joyce from N.J.

• 2 weeks later...

Because God is holy, sinless and good. Sin separates us from God and the abundant life He has for us. He desires that we should be holy as He is holy. Sin keeps us from the holiness God desires for us.

What is the difference between capricious or uncontrolled anger and anger that brings about justice?

Anger that brings about justice is controlled, tempered with love and compassion. It's purpose is to illustrate the sinful behavior, leading to confession and repentance. It's goal is to correct (disciple) and to restore the relationship broken by sin. Uncontrolled anger provokes anger and breaks, rather than restores relationships.

Q2. Why is anger an appropriate response to sin?

Anger is an appropriate response to sin because sin destroys God's creation. God stands diametrically opposed to sin just as light stands opposed to darkness. I read once that God sees sin as a blight and devastation, a deadly poison which desecrates His creation and debases man; that which defies His sovereignty and threatens the authority of His kingdom while aiding and abetting the kingdom of Satan, His archenemy. This seems like reason enough to be angry!

Uncontrolled anger is not rooted in love and is therefore destructive in its effects. Anger that brings about justice comes from a heart of love, a heart that desires change. God's anger is like this, it is an aspect of His moral perfection and its purpose is to bring man back into relationship with Him.

• 1 year later...

Anger is an appropriate response to sin in that sin is opposite of everything of God.  He wants us to worship Him and we are his representatives.  Sin goes against everything He stands for.  Acting out of anger is sinful.  Being angry about an injustice that brings about a corrective change is positive.

• 10 months later...

Anger is appropriate to sin because our hearts become inflamed by the wrong doing of the other people. Their actions cause us to becone bitter because of the way they hurt us.

Uncontrolled anger just hurts. It causes us to lash out against the person, not their actions. We want to hurt them back just as they hurt us. This type of anger breaks the heart and spirit of all who are involved.

Now for what I like to call the positive anger. This is the type of anger that pulls on our human cords. It causes us to brecome angry but it causes it to be for the good. We want change. We want to make the condition better for those that had been wronged. We want to call those who did the wrong on the carpet for their actions, but we only want them to change for the better. We want them to right what they did wrong. This anger gives way to forgiveness and positive change in the future. It is a very healthy reaction to pain.

• 3 weeks later...

Q2. Why is anger an appropriate response to sin? What is the difference between capricious or uncontrolled anger and anger that brings about justice?

Anger is an appropriate response to sin because as mortal human beings we know right from wrong.But we are not as forgiving as God, we tend to let anger ruin our lives if we do not forgive those we have offended us. God is a merciful God full of love and forgiveness as ong as we repent from sin that anger has brought to us.

The difference between capricious or uncontrolled anger and anger and that brings justice is that uncontrolled anger will devour us, usually causing us to sin more and keep us from forgiving those who have offended us in one way or another. Gods anger is quick to forgive us if we forgive those who have offended us. Gods controlled anger does not allow him to unjustly punish us, because his anger at us is usually caused by offending him. God will forgive us if we forgive those who have caused us to become angry. Those who do not forgive will receive their just punishment from God because they have not forgiven or repented of their anger. 

• 5 months later...
Anger must be part of our understanding. We live in a society that seeks to pull God down to its own level. It is quite clear that God is to be considered holy and righteous, separate from humans and human sinfulness. Human sin, breaking of God's laws, is deeply offensive to God. Unless their sins are cleansed, humans may not even approach his holy presence.

God is angry -- not at humans for their own sake -- but at their sin. Anger at sin shouldn't surprise us. We should you be passive in the face of immorality and deceit. Moral people are outraged at sin; immoral people are calloused with regard to sin.

It's one thing to be angry, but anger must not lead to injustice. The God of the Old Testament cannot be accurately described as capricious, acting merely out of anger. Nor, for that matter, is he perpetually angry. He is described as:

"The LORD, the LORD, the compassionate and gracious God, slow to anger, abounding in love and faithfulness, maintaining love to thousands, and forgiving wickedness, rebellion and sin. Yet he does not leave the guilty unpunished."

• 3 months later...

Q2. Why is anger an appropriate response to sin? What is the difference between capricious or uncontrolled anger and anger that brings about justice?

Sin is  disobedience and disrespect for God.  We should be angry with a righteous anger when  we as a people disobey God and violate His holy laws.

Caprious or uncontrolled anger is sinful anger. We do not correctly correct sin with another sin.  Righteous anger or indignation brings about a change of heart that leads to repentance.

God Bless

Jen

Romans 15:13

• 2 months later...

I have mixed feelings about this.  Why is anger an appropriate response to sin?  On the one hand, because to sin is to go against God. But in getting angry, we also go against Him.  We should approach the sinner in love and try to correct the behavior gently, instead of acting in anger.  And yet, sin cannot be tolerated because it is an affront to God, and to let it go unchecked is to let it continue to fester and grow.

Capricious or uncontrolled anger is like throwing gasoline on a fire that's already out of control.  Someone stands a great chance of being permanently hurt.  Could be an innocent bystander.  Anger that brings about justice can be repentance, or it can be some form of fair punishment to the guilty.  It is not a knee-jerk reaction done out of emotion, though.

• 2 weeks later...

Because God got angry at the Israelites when they sinned agains Him by worshipping a golden calf. Jesus got angry at the money lenders in the temple. Jesus is our example and He was sinless, so anger is an appropriate response to sin.

•  

Anger that brings about justice is controlled and you just know that it is right in your heart where the Holy Spirit lives. The other anger is a human anger, a tantrum throwing anger that accomplishes nothing and makes you feel small afterwards. It usually causes injury, wether emotional or physical.

"Be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to anger as the wrath of man does not produce the righteousness that God desires"

• 2 weeks later...

Anger is an appropriate response of God to our sin  for two main reasons. Firstly it is an affront to God: we have not trusted, listened and obeyed him. Secondly, our wrongdoing always harms ourselves and those around us. A loving God sees the consequences of our sin more than we do. It's like a parent who gets angry that one son opens the gate to a main road and the younger brother wanders out, unaware of the danger of passing cars.

Anger in people can be an appropriate response if we, too, see the repugnance of sin and the danger of its consequences. Anger can motivate us to take action, to speak up, to intervene where someone is being treated wrongly.

The difference between capricious and effective anger is that one flares up in the heat of the moment and may be tainted by our "holier than thou" attitudes, selfish indignation that we are being insulted, and so on. The other is tempered by self-control ( a fruit of the Spirit), prayer, wisdom and good timing.

Sometimes we need to act quickly, as when someone's life is in danger, but mostly there is time to take our anger to God and pray about a right response. If I myself am the victim of an injustice or hurt, I need to take that to the cross first, along with any elements of judgement, hurt pride, desire for revenge, etc. Once I am at peace with God and the person who has hurt me, I am more in a position to see how to act or what to say to rectify any injustice, misunderstanding or harm. We can also become very angry at the injustice or harm meted out to someone else. This, too, needs to be purified in prayer so that any wrong attitudes are put right before we take up our banners and start fighting a cause.

• 1 year later...

God is holy (which means set apart, reverend, sacred, and worthy of veneration) and righteous (which means just) who is separated from sin. Sin is highly offensive to God and to man for that matter if they are moral.  Offense brings anger, naturally.  We are to be careful not to sin in our anger but to rebuke and correct the offense out of love for our offender because we know that sin does not go unpunished and is in need of repentance to God.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I struggle with anger. However over recent years I have come to terms with how vital it is to understand GOD hates sin and his anger is an appropriate response to awful injustice that occurs when we sin. I am learning I need GOD to be angry when so much tragedy is present and need him to provide a solution.