JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Helper of the Fatherless

Q3. (Psalm 68:5) Since our God is the Helper of the Fatherless and the Protector of Widows -- that is, the poorest and weakest of society -- what does this say about a Christian's commitment to social justice in our communities? How should it affect our actions?

1). It say's that christian should be christ-like and being christ-like we should follow or walk in his step and do unto other's as we would have them do unto us.

2). It should affect our actions by caring more and extending out our hands and heart towards other's more. B)

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Q3. (Psalm 68:5) Since our God is the Helper of the Fatherless and the Protector of Widows -- that is, the poorest and weakest of society -- what does this say about a Christian's commitment to social justice in our communities? How should it affect our actions?

If we stand with God, then we will stand for what He stands for: love and mercy and kindness to the widows and orphans (this is pure and undefiled religion, according to James). We should seek to support orphans financially, or consider adopting; visit widows and help them with their physical needs and encourage them in the Lord.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I believe that a Christians committment to social justic is to spread what is right and moral to all, as we have been taught by the Lord and Jesus Christ.

Christians need to follow the Lords directions in thier lives and not second guess the Lord. The world and the community would be so much better off.

• 2 weeks later...

We Christians are God's arms and feet. God wants to use us to show His love to people. We have the commitment to make His love real and easy to feel to everyone around us, believers and non-believers. If we are aware of the importance of reflecting the character of Jesus Christ, then we should assume the same commitment that He showed in favor of the poorest and weakest people. Every congregation must have a ministry for social help, and all its members must contribute to expand God's kingdom of love, solidarity, and equity. This is a sign of our true faith and love to God, as stated in 1 John 3:10: "Here is the clear difference between God's children and the devil's children: those who do not do what is right or do not love others are not God's children." And 3:17-18: "If we are rich and see others in need, yet close our hearts against them, how can we claim that we love God? My children, our love should not be just words and talk; it must be true love, which shows itself in actions."

• 2 weeks later...

As Christians we are to do what we can to help the poor and the needy. Jesus told us what we do for the least of these we do unto Him. We should always be willing to help, whether it be financial, giving a helping hand, or donating a service. If we are willing, God will use us in His service to help the poor.

• 3 weeks later...

As Christains we are called to face and deal the real problems in society - no sidestepping the issues , especially those oppressing the weak one in the community.

We are to face ones responsible for peoples's attitudes toward God - could be Higher Government official .

We are also to face ourseles , this is not easy at times . We are to see where we have gone wrong and ask God's forgiveness before helping other people.

We are to help everone , especial those with weak faith to knoe God More.

• 3 months later...

As followers of Christ it is our duty to support charitable organizations in our community and to support programs that assist the poor and weak of society. When an injustice is being done to persons of this status we should let our voices be heard and do what we can to see to it that their rights are upheld and not trampled upon.

• 4 weeks later...

We many times question why we are a particular place in life. We go to God and ask him to take us out of where we are at; not realizing God may have us there for a reason rather then for our comfort. He wants to work through us to help, bless, and speak to someone concerning what they are going through. We need to realize that there are many openings in life to affect society in a positive way. Many times we don

• 6 months later...

We are fighting God

A verse is immediately brought to mind--Isaiah 1:17, what I find interesting is the context...

Isaiah 1:1,2,16-18 The vision of Isaiah the son of Amoz, which he saw concerning Judah and Jerusalem in the days of Uzziah, Jotham, Ahaz, and Hezekiah, kings of Judah. (2) Hear, O heavens, and give ear, O earth; for the LORD has spoken: "Children have I reared and brought up, but they have rebelled against me...(16)Wash yourselves; make yourselves clean; remove the evil of your deeds from before my eyes; cease to do evil, (17)learn to do good; seek justice, correct oppression; bring justice to the fatherless, plead the widow's cause. (18)"Come now, let us reason together, says the LORD: though your sins are like scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they are red like crimson, they shall become like wool.

Here, in the opening of Isaiah's prophecy, we see an interesting correlation between holiness and being an advocate against social injustices. Though not as many people will know Isaiah 1:16-17, I think it's safe to say that almost all Christians are familiar with the concept of verse 18, if not the quoted verse itself. In this passage, God establishes a correlation between being the hands and feet of Christ, reaching out to serve and protect some of the world's weakest, struggling people, and holiness. It seems to me like this is telling us that to ignore the weak and poor is not optional, it is sin. There is a chronology to this-- seek justice and correct oppresion, and then the Lord says, "[your sins] shall be white as snow." I am not saying salvation hinges on works, but as James said--faith without works is dead.

Matt 26:11 For you have the poor with you always, but you do not always have Me.

Jesus came for the poor, the sick, for those who recognized they were in need. In context, this verse appears where a woman has poured expensive purfume on Jesus' head. The disciples say--What a waste! We could have helped a lot of the poor with the money that purfume was worth! I think as we read this, it's easy to picture ourselves responding as Jesus did, but in reality, I think many more of us would have been with the disciples. These guys had there hearts in the right place--they had their minds on furthering the ministry to the poor. This is also a lot like the story of Martha busily preparing things and serving while Mary simply enjoyed Jesus' company. Both Martha and the disciples had become so busy about "their Father's business", that they had forgotten their Father. I feel this is what Jesus is saying here. The fatherless and widows are so close to His heart, yet we must not get wrapped up in this work for the sake of it. We will be like dry sponges taking in more than we are refreshing others if we do not stop and take time to find rest and to soak ourselves in the springs of living water.

a)

We are created in the image of God. We messed up, however, and became selfish people. God wanted us to be like him, so indeed, also be a "Father to the fatherless" and a "Protector of the widows".

That was not the way we went. Jesus therefore came and showed us what being created in the image of God really means. We called him, "A friend of sinners and tax collectors", and kept our distance.

Christians are the hands and feet and mouth of God in this world. It is through us that God wishes to be the "Father to the fatherless" and the "Protector of the widows". He wants to use us to show his compassion and love for each and everyone.

This means that Christians should be very strong on social justice. It should be the way of life for Christians.

b )

For me it means to become aware of the social injustice around me and where I can do something about it. This is not easy because I do confess that my thoughts are normally, "This is not my concern". And I do keep my distance.

• 2 weeks later...
+

We as christians need to step it up and help our fellow brethren. Mentor the children and young adults who do not have the right influences in their life. We need to go and help those who need our help be it finanacially or just assistance in areas like upkeep of lawns, rides to dr. appt.s , grocery store etc.

• 4 months later...

We as Christians probably don't always see ourselves in this role. We don't want to take a stand, or we only take a stand if it's safe and we don't have any fear of ridicule or embarrassment. But Jesus says when we protect, serve and bless even the least of these, we are doing it to Him. Our actions should definitely be guided by Jesus' actions. He never hesitated to help the least who needed it, and we shouldn't either.

• 2 months later...

It means that we, as Christians, also must be the helper of the fatherless; the protector of widows and the poorest and weakest of society. We should be committed to social justice in our communities. We should get involved in presenting the gospel in word and deed in our communities.

• 1 month later...

Since, as Christians, we are Christ

• 1 month later...

It simply means that we need not say that God will Himself help the poor and then we just fold our arms and look. No! God ministers to them through us. We must always bear in mind that God is our Father and then approach His throne of Grace to hear what He wants us to do.

• 3 weeks later...

Christ followers should be the first ones to help out the helpless. This could start by giving to the local church. Dr. Tony Evans made the remark that if every person who calls themselves a Christian gave as they should, they would be no poor in America because the church would be able to supply everyone's need. The number one cause of starvation and hunger in the world is because of natural causes like draught, but because people in power are witholding the supplies from the powerless. This is true of dictators and regimes who hoard necessary supplies so that they would remain in power. Sadly, it's true of us when we withold our blessings for ourselves and not help the least of these. God, help us.

Many people are wary of giving to the poor because a lot of us have heard of others who sponge off the system and won't lift a finger to help themselves, causing an unnecessary burden on the taxpayer. While there are some whom Paul would admonish like to the Thessalonians that "if they don't work, they don't eat," there are far more people who are indeed unable to help themselves out of their state who need help. We should be their advocates, not their enemies. We should not only give, but also build relationships with them and share the love of Christ.

• 2 months later...

We are to always to help those in need. We are to give of what we have and to show the love of Christ in that giving. It should affect our actions by knowing that we are doing it for the love we have for Christ, not for rewards or self, but from the heart because we want to serve Christ and obey Him.

• 2 weeks later...

Q3. (Psalm 68:5) Since our God is the Helper of the Fatherless and the Protector of Widows -- that is, the poorest and weakest of society -- what does this say about a Christian's commitment to social justice in our communities?

The local church is an awesome place to serve in this capacity...and I believe it is the church's responsibility, not the government's, to meet the needs of the widows and orphans.

How should it affect our actions?

I believe we're to stand in the gap in prayer and in material provision where we see needs.

• 3 weeks later...

Our commitment to social justice? A Christian needs a mighty work of God in him to break him of any worldly selfishness...With that gone or amended, the Christian can now respond to the HS by being merciful and caring for the situation of others. We SHOULD be an advocate and minister to the homeless, fatherless, and the oppressed as God our Father is. We should provide finances, goods, housing and more to them IMO. Do I? I some ways, "yes"....through donations of money (Compassion Int'l, etc)...but I could do more.....for sure my heart goes out to various persons in those catagories but I don't always act on my heart-direction. Need to work with God on that!!!