JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Shelter of the Most High

Q1. (Psalm 91) What is the protected one required to do in times of danger (verses 1-2, 9). What metaphors are used of God's protection in this psalm?

In times of danger we must put our hope in God, confessnHim as our Refuge and Fortress where He protects us. We must trust in Him and not fear what may happen and we must believe that we are secure in our times of peril

The metaphors used are: Hiding Place/Shade/Refuge/Fortress/His Wings/Dwelling Place/Protection/Salvation

• 8 months later...
  • Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is the protected one required to do in times of danger (verses 1-2, 9). What metaphors are used of God's protection in this psalm?

The protected one must make God his dwelling place. This immediately brought to mind the picture of a treehouse; up high so enemies on the ground can be seen but cannot reach to do damage, a great vantage point from which to view the God-made beauty of the earth, and a place that gives aloneness so one can meditate undistracted & have great communion with God. Some of the metaphors are shadow, refuge, fortress. Although these have physical attributes, I see this passage as speaking to protection of the spirit. We are assured that our bodies will have tribulation, if not physical threats from outside sources, there is the robber of strength & ability that everyone must deal with called time that will eventually steal our bodies. But when we make God the place that holds us and keeps us strong, the place that renews our spiritual strength, His protection for our souls and our joy is allowed to flow.

• 1 month later...

Q1. (Psalm 91) What is the protected one required to do in times of danger (verses 1-2, 9). What metaphors are used of God's protection in this psalm?

metaphors:

- machsie = my hidingplace

- metsoedatie = my mountainfortress

We must hide in Him.

He will protect us (Isaiah 43:1-2).

In real life, it doesn't work that way.

• 4 months later...

Names of God: Lesson 7

Psalm 91 (NLT):

1 Those who live in the shelter of the Most High will find rest in the shadow of the Almighty. 2 This I declare of the LORD: He alone is my refuge, my place of safety; he is my God, and I am trusting him. 3 For he will rescue you from every trap and protect you from the fatal plague. 4 He will shield you with his wings. He will shelter you with his feathers. His faithful promises are your armor and protection. 5 Do not be afraid of the terrors of the night, nor fear the dangers of the day, 6 nor dread the plague that stalks in darkness, nor the disaster that strikes at midday. 7 Though a thousand fall at your side, though ten thousand are dying around you, these evils will not touch you. 8 But you will see it with your eyes; you will see how the wicked are punished. 9 If you make the LORD your refuge, if you make the Most High your shelter, 10 no evil will conquer you; no plague will come near your dwelling. 11 For he orders his angels to protect you wherever you go. 12 They will hold you with their hands to keep you from striking your foot on a stone. 13 You will trample down lions and poisonous snakes; you will crush fierce lions and serpents under your feet! 14 The LORD says, "I will rescue those who love me. I will protect those who trust in my name. 15 When they call on me, I will answer; I will be with them in trouble. I will rescue them and honor them. 16 I will satisfy them with a long life and give them my salvation."

In verse 2 of Psalm 91 we are, as verse 2 informs, to simply trust the LORD that he will protect us. In faith, during any tribulation, all we have to do is to call upon the LORD and, as this psalm indicates, the LORD will be our protection. This is emphasized again later in verse 14,

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Q1. (Psalm 91)

What is the protected one required to do in times of danger (verses 1-2, 9).

What metaphors are used of God's protection in this psalm?

Rest in the shadow of the Almighty; Trust in God; Dwell in the Most High.

Shelter, shadow, refuge, fortress, cover with feathers, His wings, faithfulness, shield, rampart, dwelling, guard, protector.

http://www.joyfulheart.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=435

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Windy

When danger is near, we need to run to God and let our God protect us. Metaphors: Shelter of the Most High, Rest in the shadow of the Almighty, My refuge, My place of safety, Shelter of His wings, He orders His angels to protect you, He will rescue those who love Him, He will protect those who trust in His name, He will give us His salvation. How great is our God.

• 4 months later...

We have to dwell with God.

Metaphors:the shadow of the Almighty

the shelter of the Most High

My Refuge

my Fortress and my shield

If we trust God and dwell in Him, He will command His angels to protect and to guard us. If we call on Him, He will answer us and delivers us.

• 3 months later...

The protected one is required to

dwell in the shelter of Yahweh who is the Most High,

abide under the shadow of the Almighty

make the Almighty God his refuge and fortress

Dwell in God Almighty for nothing evil can touch us in Him

Put absolute trust in God that He is able to protect him in whatever way.

Shelter, shadow, Refuge, fortress, rescuer, cover, faithful, shield, rampart, dwelling, commander of guardian angels, abides with us, answer to our calls in time of trouble, deliverer, satisfier with long life, savior

• 5 months later...

Live in the shelter of the Most High, find rest in the shadow of the Almighty, take refuge in His place of safety and trust Him; make the Lord his refuge, and the Most High his shelter. Metaphors are: hiding place, shade, refuge, fortress, under His wings, dwelling place, shield, buckler, and keeper.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

The protected one is required to acknowledge that God is his sole protector, stay in the fortress of God's protection and trust God unequivocally even when help does not seem imminent. He has to believe that God's help will come, according to His time and His will.

The metaphors used are 1) Shelter; 2) Shadow; 3) Refuge; 4) Fortress; 5) Cover - under His wings; 6) Shield; 7) Rampart

• 1 year later...

Q1. (Psalm 91) What is the protected one required to do in times of danger (verses 1-2, 9).

We're told to make God our refuge, to live under His protection. The idea is to abide in the Lord all the time, not just when trouble comes. We're to rest in the shadow of The Almighty. That's the place to be!

Refuge and fortress

A protector whose wings provide safety and security.

• 3 years later...

We must dwell and reside in Him, recognize that He alone is the fortress and lean on and trust in Him and consciously acknowledge that He is our dwelling place and refuge.

Secret place, the shadow of the Almighty, Refuge and Fortress, Shield and buckler, Wings of refuge, dwelling place, defender, preserver.

• 2 years later...

In times of danger we are to dwell in the secret place of the Most High. We have to make Him our habitation. It is not only in times of danger, but in all times we need to dwell in His presence. His presence is the well spring of life. It is in His presence that we derive strength to face the challenges that come across our way. One of my prayer is that the leash on me would be so short that I will not wander away from His presence for long.

The metaphors used in this psalm for God’s protection: Secret place, dwelling place, shadow, refuge, fortress, deliverer, wings and feathers of a bird, shield, buckler, defender, savior, protector, preserver.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
On 2/21/2006 at 2:33 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

In times of danger, according to Ps. 91: 1, 2, 9, the protected one is required to dwell in the secret place of the Most High, confess that the LORD is his refuge and his fortress, trust in Him, and make Him his habitation

Metaphors that are used of God's protection in Ps. 91 are:- shadow, refuge, fortress, shield, buckler, deliverer, and rescuer 

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/21/2006 at 1:33 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q1. (Psalm 91) What is the protected one required to do in times of danger (verses 1-2, 9). What metaphors are used of God's protection in this psalm?  We are to take shelter in the shadow of Yahweh. In this case, the shadow refers to God Himself because you need His presence in order to have His shadow.  1 Whoever dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty. 2 I will say of the LORD, “He is my refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust.

We are to seek protection by taking refuge in His presence. The word fortress is also another metaphor used to describe the mightiness and the impenetrable nature of God's protection. 9 If you say, “The LORD is my refuge,” and you make the Most High your dwelling, 

• 6 months later...

In times of danger, a Christain needs remind himself that he is in a place of spiritual rest: he is an inner court Christain. As there was a holy stillness in the Tabernacle, so he has a supernatural stillness in his heart.

He confesses with his lips and believes in his heart that God alone is his refuge and fortress.  There is no sitting on the fence here.   The man of God with his whole heart that God is with him ; he has an assurance that God is with him.   He is not double-minded.   The Hebrew word 'yashab' for dwelleth means staking out a claim as to resist other invaders; the believer posses his claim and enjoys his resting place.

Now for the metaphors.  God is our refuge, a fortress, shield,buckler.  God encompasses us with His feathers and wings which are figurative of protection and care. The shield and buckler protect our vital parts from the spears and swords of the enemy.

• 1 year later...

The protected one is required to trust in the Lord at All times no matter what is going on around them. God uses shadow as another way to describe his protection. The Lord is our protector. He will keep us and protects and shields us as we continue to trust in him. No matter what is going on in the world right now we still need to trust in him at all times.

• Pastor Ralph changed the title to Q1. Shelter of the Most High
  • 4 months later...

Q1. (Psalm 91) What is the protected one required to do in times of danger (verses 1-2, 9).
Make The Most High God your dwelling place, your refuge and fortress. Trust in Him and rest in Him.

In verse 4 God’s protection is likened to a mother bird putting her young under her wings to protect them.