JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. God Our Rock

Victory comes from God alone.God is our Rock and provider.Some enemies are to great for us.Our personal resources or support groups, though helpful, will never be adequate to gain complete victory over our dependencies. We must learn to trust God alone, for He is greater than any of the enemies we might fight. If God is on our side, no enemy is to great. We can always experience victory by depending on God's delivering hand.

An important part of spiritual growth is learning to worship God,and,important part of worship is praise. We should take time to praise God for who he is,----glourius,strong,just and fair,perfect,faithful,upright. We also need to take time to rejoice in who God is and praise Him for His greatness. "HE IS THE ROCK". Our foundation for a stable life.His work in our life is perfect. We need to reconize God's ability to help us and allow Him to do His mighty work on our behalf.

Whereever we are,whatever circumstances we face,we can turn to God for help.He will hear our prayers and protect us with His divine presence. He is our safety and our refuge. He is our loving proctector, who blesses us and give our life meanings as we fulfill our vows to live for Him daily.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q3. In what ways is God a Rock in the above verses. What functions does a rock perform in Palestine?

In the verses I see God as the Rock of Strength, Comfort, Security,Perfection, Peace and Joy.

He is the Stone that the builders rejected. He will become their Judge and Destroyer. He is their only Hope for a place of refuge that is eternal. He is the Creater that placed the Rock there and will be the one who's final assembly plan will have to be followed.

Q3. In what ways is God a Rock in the above verses. What functions does a rock perform in Palestine?

My Bible translates the Word Rock in Psalms 144:1 as Strength. I believe that God is our strenght and gives us the power to live each Day for His Honor and Glory if we chose to do so. I pray for strength each da and expect the Lord to help me face each new challenge. God is our protector against the enemy if our hearts and minds stay on Him. He will shield us and keep us that in it self make Him our Rock.

The Rock of Palestine to me would be one of Judgement. THe people of Palestine must face the rath of God for what they have done to His chosen people. He is still the defender of Isreal and they are His chosen people. He has said blessed are the ones who bless Isreal so the Rock in Palestine will bring Judgement.

God is our refuge in times of trouble just as the rock is a place of refuge. Whoever that hides under God in times of evil is fully protected.

In Palestine, the rock serves as a defence to his people. The rock gives them protection and shade.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

God is a Rock in these verses because high rocks were used as hiding places and where people built fortresses. Rocks (I think these verses refer to what we'd refer to as a "mountain.") served as fortresses and places of safety during military flight (as in David's flight from King Saul) or seige. Also, I keep thinking of the shade from the sweltering sun that a rock could provide.

• 3 weeks later...

God is called a Rock meaning stronghold, solid ground, strong basis, firm and fair God, unremovable foundation, solid walled place, unchanging God, supporting place, trustworthy and reliable Savior, perfect and fair Creator, source of faith.

A rock is extremely important in Palestine, where in the desert terrible sand storms occur and make people get lost, become blind, suffocate, and even die. Under those circumstances, the only possible way to survive is by finding shelter under a rock.

in the verses above God is a "Rock", because he is steadfast, upright, he is perfect, he is a provider and prtector and stronghold.

A rock in Palestime seems to me to be something to hide behind, somewhere where you dont have to confront the things that harm you. I see the rock as harmful, especially in the story of David and Goliath, where the Rock caused death. Rccks can be very cold to the outside.

• 2 weeks later...

He is the Rock, solid foundation, strength, protector, fortress, shade, refuge, stronghold, defender.

Rock in Palestine was a place of refuge, a hiding place, easily defended. A cave in the mountains, a natural fortress.

• 4 weeks later...

A rock is known for its firmness and it is never shaken . If we put our trust in God , who is the Rock , we can never be shaken with the worries of this world.

• 3 months later...

As rock, God is our stronghold, defender, fortress and eternal shade and refuge. He is ever steady and can never be shaken by our worries and petty earthly concerns. The metaphor of a rock is appropriate to Palestine where boulders of rocks are natural fortresses used to defend themselves. Rocks in Palestine perform many functions such as shade, fortress, refuge. All these things God do for His children.

Q3. In what ways is God a Rock in the above verses.

In those verses God is portrayed as defender, fortress, protector, the strength that one draws from in times of trouble.

What functions does a rock perform in Palestine?

In Palestine the rock was used as a strong fortress, as a strong tower, as protection in times of war.

• 6 months later...

This question is easily answered if asked as, what way is God not a rock? The answer to that is no way. He is the foundation on everything I believe. He is the rock of my strength. He is the rock of my life. He is the rock I come to when I do wrong. He is the rock of wisdom, when I think I

• 1 month later...

He is a fortress and a refuge. He is an unchanging and eternal stronghold. He is an anchor.

In Palestine, a rock was a place of defense or protection against an enemy.

When I think of God as our rock, I think of Him as unchanging and constant. A firm place to stand amidst a rising, flooding sea of confusion and harm.

Mat 7:24-25 Therefore whoever hears these sayings of Mine, and does them, I will liken him to a wise man who built his house on a rock. And the rain came down, and the floods came, and the winds blew and beat on that house. And it did not fall, for it was founded on a rock.

• 3 weeks later...

God is a rock in times of our distress, our protector from evil, our deliverer and strength. He is where we get our strength in time of need.. A rock in Palestine functions as the mountainous terrain as protection from the weather and a hiding place from the enemy.

• 6 months later...

God is like a rock in that He serves as a strong foundation; a strong fortress; a strong, stable place; protection; refuge; and shade.

Rocks in Palestine serve all these purposes and more.

• 1 month later...

God is a rock in that He is strong, He is immovable, He is unshakeable, He can protect those who hide behind Him, He is the material from which our defenses are built, He is the high place from which we can defend ourselves from the enemy, He is eternal, He stands when everything man has built crumbles and falls.

Rock is the basic building material, it is the entire landscape in many places (i.e. Ein Gedi where David hid), The top of a large rock formation could be used as a fortress from which to hide or defend oneself or a group (i.e. Masada), Rock is a place to hide someone or something (i.e. Qumran and the Dead Sea Scrolls). It is basically something that is seen constantly in everyday life in Israel.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Q3. In what ways is God a Rock in the above verses.

Rock of Israel, He is the Rock, perfect, just, Rock of refuge, strong fortress to save, leads and guides, Father, God, Rock of my Saviour, upright, higher than I, no wickedness in Him, eternal rock, there is no other rock.

The God of Israel, is the Rock of Israel. Palestine, Canaan, is the land the Rock of Israel promised to Abraham and his descendants.

Gen 17:8 And I will give unto thee, and to thy seed after thee, the land wherein thou art a stranger, all the land of Canaan, for an everlasting possession; and I will be their God. He is their Rock, their Fortress, and He will perform what He said He would do, for His name is there in Jerusalem. He is their Rock.

• 1 month later...

God is a rock by being our strength, our security, our foundation on which we are built. He cannot be moved or broken, He is solid. He is our cleft. In Palesine, the Rock is their hiding place, a place of security, a place where they can worship God. God the Rock performs the same functions in Palestine as He does for us here in the U. S. even more so because they are His people.

• 2 weeks later...

Q3. In what ways is God a Rock in the above verses?

He is solid, steady, eternal, deliverer, refuge, strong tower, guidance, Father, helper, protection, unable to be moved by force, dependable.

Rock is foundation, protection, as En Gedi where David and his men found refuge in time of war. Rock is the land....bedrock....the promised land. The temple was built from rock...symbolic of the Rock of Ages, our God and Savior.

• 2 weeks later...

In what ways is God a Rock in the above verses? In so many ways, praise Him!!!

In 2 Sam 22, God is a hiding place that is strong an inpenetrable in times of David's great trouble!! David's life was spared by the great God!!

In Psa 144, David praises God for His great help in battle where the Lord gave Him strength and the knowing that the Lord was with him. No only could David take refuge in the Lord but also the Lord subdued people under David.

In Gen 49, Jacob blesses Joseph by describing him as a person that trusts in the Lord and in whom the Lord's strength, steadiness, and ultimate victory resides!!

The other passages describe God as a refuge to which to flee as well as a strength in battle.

DR. WILSON: why do you call the country "Palestine"? It is not Palestine. It is Israel. As a scholar of the Bible, surely you know that it always has been the homeland of the Jews---first, by faith, in the promises of God for the land for the Jews--and secondly, by reality as it is the land of the Jews...the State of Israel...with a government, police, etc. I really wonder about why you continue to call the land, "Palestine". You know the history of that word, don't you? Google it.

So......a rock performs many functions in Israel. I have lived there for a while. Rocks are nearly everywhere you step, etc. Rocks are functional in many ways there...they are used for erecting structures, for paving roads, for providing a hiding place (cleft)...they are strong, and usually immoveable. And more.

I sense that i have misinterpreted your question.

In what ways is God a Rock in the above verses? In so many ways, praise Him!!!

In 2 Sam 22, God is a hiding place that is strong an inpenetrable in times of David's great trouble!! David's life was spared by the great God!!

In Psa 144, David praises God for His great help in battle where the Lord gave Him strength and the knowing that the Lord was with him. No only could David take refuge in the Lord but also the Lord subdued people under David.

In Gen 49, Jacob blesses Joseph by describing him as a person that trusts in the Lord and in whom the Lord's strength, steadiness, and ultimate victory resides!!

The other passages describe God as a refuge to which to flee as well as a strength in battle.

DR. WILSON: why do you call the country "Palestine"? It is not Palestine. It is Israel. As a scholar of the Bible, surely you know that it always has been the homeland of the Jews---first, by faith, in the promises of God for the land for the Jews--and secondly, by reality as it is the land of the Jews...the State of Israel...with a government, police, etc. I really wonder about why you continue to call the land, "Palestine". You know the history of that word, don't you? Google it.

So......a rock performs many functions in Israel. I have lived there for a while. Rocks are nearly everywhere you step, etc. Rocks are functional in many ways there...they are used for erecting structures, for paving roads, for providing a hiding place (cleft)...they are strong, and usually immoveable. And more.

I sense that i have misinterpreted your question.