JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Teaching the Atonement

When we partake of the Lord's Supper we should be thinking about Jesus pouring out His blood for us, breaking His body for us and giving it to us after commanding that we do it in memory of Him. It is in the pouring out, the breaking and the giving that teach us the sacrifice of Jesus's atonement.

Debra

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Which action words used to describe the elements of the Lord's Supper, teach us that we are to be thinking of Jesus' sacrifice of atonement, when we partake of the Lord's Supper?

broken

poured out

Jesus, while breaking the bread was speaking of his own body which would be "broken" for our sins.

Jesus, while holding up the cup of wine and givng thanks to the Father was speaking of his own blood which would be "poured out" for our sins.

• 4 weeks later...

Q3. Which action words used to describe the elements of the Lord's Supper, teach us that we are to be thinking of Jesus' sacrifice of atonement, when we partake of the Lord's Supper?

Poured out, broken, and i also believe given should be added. Jesus did not have to do this for us, He did it because He loves us so much, that He was willing to give His life for us

• 3 weeks later...

Q3. Which action words used to describe the elements of the Lord's Supper, teach us that we are to be thinking of Jesus' sacrifice of atonement, when we partake of the Lord's Supper?

The words Given, Broken, Poured Out and Forgiven. They all refer to what Jesus did to bring us to righteousness on the cross.

• 4 months later...

The action words used to describe the elements of the Lord's Supper that teach us that we are to be thinking of Jesus' sacrifice of atonement, when we take the Lord's Supper are "broken for," "given for" and "poured out." The words "broken for" represents Jesus' body that is "given for" the believer in a sacrificial sense. The words "poured out" used of the wine represents Jesus' blood that was "poured out" or "shed" for the forgiveness of our sins.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 3 months later...

the action words are

given... (meaning , give up, sacrifice, to dedicate oneself for some purpose or cause)

poured out... (as in the cultic sense, pour out, in behalf of)

forgiveness... (as in the act of freeing from an obligation, guilt, punishment, and also meaning pardon, cancellation)

Matthew 26.28 "This is the blood of the covenant, which is POURED OUT for many for the FORGIVENESS of sins"

Mark 14 .24 "This is the blood of the covenant, which is POURED OUT for many," he said to them.

Luke 22.20 In the same way, after the supper he took the cup, saying, "This is the new covenant in my blood, which is POURED OUT for you."

Luke 22.19 And he took bread, gave thanks and broke it, and gave it to them saying, "This is my body GIVEN for you; do this in remembrance of me."

• 4 weeks later...

Matthew 26:28 "... which is POURED out for many for the forgiveness of sin...". I am so moved by these words. He did His part unconditionally, I have to do mine without regret that I will not enjoy all the world's offerings; without fear of death specially if death comes at the least you expect it; and, grateful that I have experienced and still experiencing so many life's blessings in an unexpected way. There were in the past so many things I did not asked for and voila!! they just came my way. Three things that direct my life: God is good! In His own time. God loves.

• 1 month later...

For me, it is all the words of the Eucharistic Prayer. Jesus was handed over, but he chose to offer himself - he freely gave himself as an atonement for our sins. Jesus took the bread, blessed it, broke it and gave it, then after supper he took the wine, blessed it and gave it and after both the bread and the wine, he commanded us to do this in remembrance of him. It is a sacrament, a very sacred time given to us by Christ himself, therefore at all times we need to be mindful of his sacrifice of love given for us. His words took, bless, broke and given are very significant - his body and blood were broken and shed for the forgiveness of our sins - that means he paid the price for us by offering his all for our payment - how can we not think of the whole institution of the Lord's Supper as one, which brings us into communion with him and with each other and reminds us of his self-sacrificing love.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

The two Scripture references below show the action words (highlighted in red) that describe the elements of the Lord's Supper. As we partake, He tells us to do this in remembrance of me".

Matthew 2:26-28 - While they were eating, Jesus took bread, gave thanks and broke it, and gave it to his disciples, saying, "Take and eat; this is my body." Then he took the cup, gave thanks and offered it to them, saying, "Drink from it, all of you. This is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins

1 Corinthians 11:24-25 - and when he had given thanks, he broke it and said, "This is my body, which is for you; do this in remembrance of me." In the same way, after supper he took the cup, saying, "This cup is the new covenant in my blood; do this, whenever you drink it, "in remembrance of Me."

• 1 month later...

1) GIVEN, 2) BROKEN FOR, 3) POURED OUT / SHED, 4) FORGIVENESS / REMISSION. . .

The bread representing the Body of Jesus is broken and given as a sacrifice for our sins; the wine representing the Blood of Jesus is poured out / shed for the forgiveness / remission of our sins. . . Hebrews 9:22 (NLT)

22 In fact, according to the law of Moses, nearly everything was purified with blood. For without the shedding of blood, there is no forgiveness.

Hebrews 9:22 (KJV)

22 And almost all things are by the law purged with blood; and without shedding of blood is no remission.

John 10:17-18 (NLT)

• 1 month later...

Jesus took the bread. This one is obvious.

Then He gave thanks. Here He's praying.

Then He gave thanks again. Here He's thanking.

Then He brake the bread. That means that they didn't had to bite in a whole bread.

Then He gave the bread and the disciples took the bread.

This is about giving and accepting.

Then the disciples ate the bread.

And drank the wine.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Which action words used to describe the elements of the Lord's Supper, teach us that we are to be thinking of Jesus' sacrifice of atonement, when we partake of the Lord's Supper?

Given: that Christ Jesus gave Himself for us as a living sacrifice.

Broken: His body symbolize by the bread, broken for us on the cross.

Poured out: His blood shed for us....to be the covering for our sin.

Forgive: to wipe away our sin.

All of these things are an action that we do to remember and to give praise.

• 2 months later...

Q3. Which action words used to describe the elements of the Lord's Supper, teach us that we are to be thinking of Jesus' sacrifice of atonement, when we partake of the Lord's Supper? The following words: "given" indicating dedication for a purpose, "for" that it is in the interest of someone, "poured out" emitted in quantity, and "forgiveness" used as a verb as in freeing from guilt, obligation or punishment. These words give us the picture of sacrifice of atonement when used in the Lord's Supper.

• 3 months later...

Take and Drink, are the most important two action words used to describe the elements, for me. Take and Drink in rememberance. In rememberance of all that Jesus sacrificed for us, all that He gave for us, all that He did for us. I guess rememberance is the best word for me.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

The action words used to describe the elements of the Lord's Supper that teach us that we are to be thinking of Jesus' sacrifice of atonement when we partake of the Lord's Supper are "given for" and "poured out".

• 1 year later...

gave thanks- we are to thank Jesus for the sacrifice of His life for our salvation and the grace that we are given for the forgiveness of our sins.

broke- this is the reminder of the breaking of Jesus body and spirit while being crucified and hung on the cross.

gave- Jesus gave up everything willingly to us.

eat and drink- to get the nutrition we need both physically and spiritually.

• 2 years later...