JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Spiritual Meaning

The Lord's Supper means everything to me, its a time where i seek Christ to ask for forgiveness, to be refreshed in His love, His grace and mercy to fall afresh on me.

A time to partake in His death and resurrection, as in baptism, to be reminded of His pain and suffering He endured but also to celebrate in the resurrection, to glow in the hope and power of this wonderful act of victory for each one of us.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SITTING HERE THINKING OF THE LORDS SUPPER SO MANY EMOTIONS AND PEACE COME OVER ME. PSALM 23 COMES TO MIND "HE LEADETH ME BESIDE STILL WATERS AND PREPAREST A TABLE BEFORE ME AND ANOINTEST MY HEAD WITH OIL, MY CUP RUNNETH OVER."

AS JOSE SAID "CHRISTS DEATH IS THE BEGINNING OF LIFE FOR THOSE WHO ACCEPT HIM AND TO THINK CHRIST SAID IN LUKE 22:30 THAT YE MAY EAT AND DRINK AT MY TABLE IN MY KINGDOM. IT DOES NOT END HERE WITH COMMUNION. ME, REALLY EATING WITH THE LION OF JUDAH, MY LORD AND MY SAVIOR? WORDS FAIL ME!

WHAT IS THE GREATEST PART OF COMMUNION IS DIFFICULT TO SAY. JESUS/YASHUA SAID IN VERSE 27 FOR WHICH IS GREATER, HE THAT DINETH, OR HE THAT SERVETH? IS NOT HE THAT DINETH? BUT I AM AMONG YOU AS HE THAT SERVETH.

THANK YOU JESUS FOR YOUR BLOOD, LOVE AND SERVING ME! JUST TOO BIG FOR ME TO UNDERSTAND.

It is quite a sacrifice Jesus has made for us. He gave his life, his body and blood, to save not only his friends, but all of us - those who have sinned, those who are sinners, and those who are still to come. He gave us his body and blood so that we should always remember his sacrifice and overwhelming love for us. He did this for you and me.

Taking communion is such a privilege, for I am one of my Father's people, and the knowledge that He actually wants me there and has a purpose for my participation honors me. Knowing I am forgiven for my sins releases my burdens and cleanses me for a new start each week also. The remembrance of Jesus and His suffering makes me so thankful for His deep love and caring, and warms my heart. His presence within the communion is a blessing also, and all of these things are what makes Holy Communion so meaningful in my life' needs.

Q4. Which part of the meaning of the Lord's Supper is most valuable for you at this point in your spiritual journey when you partake of and meditate on the Lord's Supper?

Can't separate it for me- just reflecting on the fact that ALL of the wrath of God was taken by Jesus on the cross - - is beyond our comprephension - tht He paid the penalty - and was resurrected to provide the eternal life for all of us.

Q4. Which part of the meaning of the Lord's Supper is most valuable for you at this point in your spiritual journey when you partake of and meditate on the Lord's Supper?

Though I cannot explain it, mercy is what I see within the sacrifice of our Lord's body and blood.

I needed it; and He willingly gave it--at a cost I cannot yet perceive in its totality on this side of Heaven.

FOR ME, PARTAKING OF THE LORD'S SUPPER IS A TIME OF FELLOWSHIP AND INTIMACY WITH THE LORD. I DRAW CLOSER TO HIM AND SPEND TIME THINKING OF WHAT IT MUST HAVE BEEN LIKE TO ENDURE THE PAIN AND CRUELTY OF THE CROSS JUST FOR ME TO HAVE ETERNAL LIFE WITH HIM. THAT'S TRUE, AGAPPE , UNCONDITIONAL LOVE AND I THANK HIM ALWAYS FOR HIS SACRIFICE.COMMUNION WAS BORING AND RELIGIOUS BEFORE MY RELATIONSHIP DEEPENED WITH THE LORD.NOW I SEE HIS GRACE AND MERCY EXTENDED DAILY AS I SPEND TIME FELLOWSHIPPING WITH HIM...GOD BLESS...

There is a scripture that haunts me. It is the one where Abel's blood cries out to God fromthe earth. It is the result of disobedience which produces violence on the face of the earth. Violence is God's great hatred and all evil is a violence against His love. One could expound on Malachi 2:16 about this, or on the story of Noah and God's distress about the violence on the earth.

These days when I am taking communion I am thinking that Jesus' blood was poured out over the earth covering the violence of sin from Father's eyes. I am glad that my sin is covered by His blood. I had a vision that Jesus wanted my hands nailed to the Cross with His, but He took the pain and His body protected me. So communion for me is also my living sacrifice for my Lord, my total surrender to Him for His purpose and glory.

Eating the bread means my hands are with His, and drinking the wine means my life also is to be poured out for salvation of people. He definitely has purpose for me and directs me along His path.

The whole process is valuable to me. It's a time when I search my heart for sins I need to confess; when I concentrate on what has been done for someone as undeserving as myself; when I truly open my heart to allow the Holy Spirit to enter...it's wonderful!

The totality of the Lord Supper is valuable to me. Remembering that His body was broken for my healing (by his stripes I am healed) and His blood shed for the remission of my sins to make me a child of the Most High God and a citizen of heaven is an experience too wonderful to comprhend!

Thank you Jesus for saving me. Thank you Pastor Ralph for this study that has made the Holy Communion more meaningful to me.

haar.

Both are essential. Without the blood covering, I would not have the Holy Spirit to allow communion to be possible. Without communion, I would not know what to do with the wisdom in words the bread gives me or strength to use it.

Reading the replies (sorry I have got behind and am late in posting my own) has been a spiritual experience for me. Nancy Decker's reply especially touched me. Partaking of the bread and wine gives me pause to reflect on His sacrifice for me on a regular basis, in the company and fellowship of other Christians. Whilst I may think of Him at times during the week, this does seem a special time, a ritual which can have power if I accept it. It is this opportunity to meditate on the sacrifice, within the power of this sacrament which has been most vauable to me up to this point in time.

As I was sitting in church on a communion Sunday, feeling too guilty to partake in the LORD's Supper, I picked up the bible from the pew. I opened the bible and began reading, not knowing much about the bible, I read how Christ gave His life's blood to cover my sins. I read his words saying that He is the one that forgives all sins. Not just everyone elses but mine also. I could no hold back the tears and went up to recieve communion. That was the point my life changed. So I must say that the grace of God is what I remember most and the price He paid.

Darrell

The whole process of Christs death. And it is so awesome to partake in the renewing of my spirit and soul with Jesus Christs blood and body. To know that one day I will be one with God. Regardless of the paths I take. Whenever I get sidetrack or lost. He is there to put me on the right path. God is there 24/7 and so should I for him.

By faith I know that something wonderful happens to me when I partake of the Eucharist. I am changed. This is a selfish approach I know but it is where I am at the moment. I have just come through 12 years of drinking of the cup of suffering, but now I am healed and am in a place of understanding the depth of meaning in the Eucharist and just what the sacrifice of Jesus means to me.

Knowing that Jesus gave his life to save me and shed his blood for me is most meaningful for me. It shows his love for all mankind and teaches us that we also should love one another. It just gives me strength and hope each and everyday.

Prov. 4:17 - "They eat the bread of wickedness and drink the wine of violence.

They were eating and drinking death unto themselves.

Jn.6:53 Jesus said them, "I tell you the truth, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you".

In Lev. 17 it talks of the life of the animal sacrificed was in the blood and made atonement for their souls. It is the blood that makes atonement by reason of the life it represents. The blood we partake of represents the remission of our sins.

Jn 10:10 - Partaking of the devil's bread and wine = kill, steal and destroy

Partaking of Jesus's bread and wine = abundant life

Throughout these scriptures we see that what we are to remember through His death is His life.

His life given - His life risen - His life is in us - His life lives through us.

That is what is most meaningful to me. It makes me reflect on Gal. 2:20 "It is no longer I that lives but Christ that lives in me."

As I partake of communion I remember all aspects of what He did for me, but most importantly I remember the life of Him that is now living in me and how I must appropriate that life to glorify Him.

Prov. 4:17 - "They eat the bread of wickedness and drink the wine of violence.

They were eating and drinking death unto themselves.

Jn.6:53 Jesus said them, "I tell you the truth, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you".

In Lev. 17 it talks of the life of the animal sacrificed was in the blood and made atonement for their souls. It is the blood that makes atonement by reason of the life it represents. The blood we partake of represents the remission of our sins.

Jn 10:10 - Partaking of the devil's bread and wine = kill, steal and destroy

Partaking of Jesus's bread and wine = abundant life

Throughout these scriptures we see that what we are to remember through His death is His life.

His life given - His life risen - His life is in us - His life lives through us.

That is what is most meaningful to me. It makes me reflect on Gal. 2:20 "It is no longer I that lives but Christ that lives in me."

As I partake of communion I remember all aspects of what He did for me, but most importantly I remember the life of Him that is now living in me and how I must appropriate that life to glorify Him.

I love what you wrote. I do not dwell on the fact Christ died on the cross, but that He is living in me, and even better yet, He is coming again for those who are looking for His appearing. Yes, we are to live holy lives, as He said "if you love me, keep my commandments" what a joy that is to do. It is not a yoke. Yes when I take of the bread, and drink of the cup, I do it in remembrance of who He is, I cannot give Him enough praise, how awesome is this love that lives in me.

I'm in an ecumenical mode right now. Accordingly, the unity of the saints in communion holds particular meaning for me. "We are all one because we share one bread, one cup". Like the Apostles at the institution, the entire body of Christ is united in his meal, reclining intimately with Him.

• 3 weeks later...