JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Spiritual Meaning

Q4. Which part of the meaning of the Lord's Supper is most valuable for you at this point in your spiritual journey when you partake of and meditate on the Lord's Supper?

I am reminded of the sacifice that Jesus did for me and the love that God has for me.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Which part of the meaning of the Lord's Supper is most valuable for you at this point in your spiritual journey when you partake of and meditate on the Lord's Supper?

The connection for me is knowing ......really knowing that Christ Jesus loved me so much He was willing to die on the cross for me. When I take of the Lord's Supper it makes me focus that He did this......He gave his body and shed His blood for me.

• 2 months later...

Q4. Which part of the meaning of the Lord's Supper is most valuable for you at this point in your spiritual journey when you partake of and meditate on the Lord's Supper? The connection of this great sacrifice that was done for me is so valuable to me. I am not a criminal and yet I am a sinner and that separated me from God. The fact that Jesus considers me of enough value and importance to give up His body and spill His blood for brings about awe. Thank you, Jesus!

I imagine sitting at table with the Lord Himself, and He giving His love to me, letting me understand that this meal is for me to take and be a different person, from one who was a nobody because of my nature of sin, to one who can sit at table with the Lord of life Himself.When even the high priest could not go into the presence of God unless summoned by God, today, this meal was prepared for me, and actually makes me a guest of honour at this banquet, I am invited to stay at this banquet. Regardless of my very sinful nature, now I am person of hope, now I can approach His throne room because I have been saved.For me, by partaking of the banquet, I am now one with Christ, and nothing can separate me from Him. I am reminded constantly of the sacrifice of the death of Christ, and I am constantly nourished by the Lord

• 3 months later...

Q4. Which part of the meaning of the Lord's Supper is most valuable for you at this point in your spiritual journey when you partake of and meditate on the Lord's Supper?

The part that is most meaningful to me at this point is Connects us to Christ's sacrifice on the cross in some mystical way. I love the feeling I get when I feel connected to Christ, and partaking of the Lord's Supper connects me and refreshes me.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

As I approach the Altar and kneel I hold my hands in a cross.  As I am handed the bread and I hear, "The body of our Lord given for you.  He died for MY sins.  He didn't have to.  But He loved me so much He died for me.  He gave me life by dying.  I reach for the cup and I hear "The blood of Christ shed for you."  He bled for me.  His life's blood fell into the sand for my sins.  I am humbled and awed by what I feel when I partake in the Lord's Supper.

• 1 year later...

After taking the course "7 Last Words of Christ", I find I have a very much more deeper feeling for the Lord's Supper. I can visualize the more advanced meaning of these words to what happened after them.

Jesus is telling us that this is His body. But I feel that He is talking sybolically. He wants to give us a visual way to remember what the start of this new religion was all about. He allowed His body and spirit to be broken for us during His death. He loved us so much that He gave His all for us.

The reference of the blood and cup, makes me think of all His blood that was shed for me and how I need to be more willing to give of myself for other people. Jesus used the cup to try and seal the New Covenant that He was making with us. He was starting to get us to realize that we are to be part of this new life on earth. We have a lot of work to do.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...

A cursory glance over many denominational traditions shows believers have taken great liberty with Christ’s words, “as often as you do this...” For example, some churches observe the Lord’s Supper maybe once a year where as others partake of the elements every Sunday sighting Acts 20:7 as it being a major reason for their coming together. Did the early believers do it out of a sense of duty? Some say to observe it every Sunday would cause it to become common and loose its meaning. Are we worse off for partaking less frequent than the early believers in that verse? It’s easy to become legalistic or doing thing out of duty and drift from its significance in either case. It is clear, however, that the apostle Paul contended for a greater respect or reverence with the early believers. “Therefore, when you meet together, it is not to eat the Lord's Supper,” (1 Cor 11:20). The main difference and challenge of observing more or less frequent is clearly a heart issue. Certainly, those who walked with Jesus weren’t as far removed from Christ’s life and death as believers today. But is that a valid excuse? Does the Spirit of Christ dwell within us? I believe the Lord’s Supper “is a sacred meal we eat before the Lord in obedience to his words”. Why don't we as the body of believers do it more often? 

• Pastor Ralph changed the title to Q4. Spiritual Meaning