JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q10. Christian Inheritance

Q2. (Ephesians 1:18c) If you knew that in a few years you would inherit $10 million, would it affect your life now? How should our expectation of an inheritance in God's presence temper our present-day concerns? Since this inheritance will be shared with "the saints" -- our Christian family -- how should that affect our fellowship with them?

Certainly, a windfall like $10,000,000 would make my life much easier on earth from a financial security standpoint. "The riches of his glorious inheritance" does not compare in the sense that eternal life is overwhelmingly greater in value. The riches of the inheritance promised by God is like infinity.........it is without bound.

We should let down our worldly defenses with our Christian brothers and sisters and love each other. Certainly, you don't have to be a wimp to be a Christian. That is not important. Praising God and letting God's light shine through us is our reason for being here.

• 6 months later...
  • Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Knowing that I would inherit that kind of money would give me a sense of security. I would have no need to worry about the future and how our kids would go to college--done! Of course, the negative would be the time I would spend daydreaming about the many trips I would take! Figuring out who to give to and how much would be fun but also challenging, as undoubtedly there would be pride involved. I think the big gifts would have to be anonymous.

Knowing about the inheritance of heaven should also give me a sense of security and excitement. Instead of worrying about the future or death, I should look forward to it with anticipation and excitement, making all the choices in my present life that would show my love and appreciation for God. Likewise, we should cultivate positive relationships with the body of Christ now, knowing that we will be all living and sharing together for eternity!

• 1 month later...

Q2. (Ephesians 1:18c) If you knew that in a few years you would inherit $10 million, would it affect your life now? I suppose that I would be less concerned about storing things up now. I wouldn't need to be concerned about making provision for the future and all I would need to concern myself with would be ensuring that the inheritacne wouldn't go away.

How should our expectation of an inheritance in God's presence temper our present-day concerns? It puts them into perspective. They don't go away, but they become manageable because ultimately they are insignificant.

Since this inheritance will be shared with "the saints" -- our Christian family -- how should that affect our fellowship with them? We cannot share something with anyone if we don't communicate with them. In fact I would go so far as to say that without fellowship with my Christian family, I cannot share my inheritance with them or share in their inheritance, and I will be much poorer for it.

• 1 month later...

Q2. (Ephesians 1:18c) If you knew that in a few years you would inherit $10 million, would it affect your life now? How should our expectation of an inheritance in God's presence temper our present-day concerns? Since this inheritance will be shared with "the saints" -- our Christian family -- how should that affect our fellowship with them?

Why Im sure it would! Knowing that we have this inheritance in Christ and we know that others have the same chance to get this inheritance but dont quite know or understand how,that is where God in some situations uses us and right now fellowship with other Christians is very important because for me being around other brothers and sisters in Christ I get a recharge and in some ways the happiness and joy I feel around them is I know is only a small portion of whats to come so we should fellowship regurlarly with them.

• 3 weeks later...

2a) Only God knows about the future, so I won

• 4 weeks later...

Ten million is a great deal of money. It would affect my life a bit. I've always said to God, that if I won the lottery , I would donate money to the church. There is a beautiful fourteen century church

in Genoa, Italy, that I would love to repair.....

• 4 weeks later...

"The riches of his glorious inheritance in the saints"

When I got saved, I learnt that fellowship is another part that strengthens our relationship with our God. Knowing that I would inherit the million dollars which I think is compared to the kingdom of God, would make me a patient,loving, and caring christian, so that I may reach the promised wealth in good condition.

There could be a better explanation, I would wish to share. Thanks

Well, If I knew I was to inherit such a some of money, I certainly wouldn't think too much of making money for the future - I'd work enough to pay the bills until I come into inheritance. (I would not think of climbing any corporate ladder or look for a promotion, that's for sure!) But, then I think - what of those who have none? How do I profit just because I am lucky, when they do not? Seeing as this is a free gift and there is enough for all (you getting the same does not mean less for me!), I would try to persuade those who are ignorant of the free treasure to come seek it too. But, then I'd also have to warn them of all the robbers, thieves, liars and ones who would murder you just to prevent them from attaining the promise.

How does this affect my relationship with those who are also heirs? Well, there is no striving against them. There is a 'knowing' with each other. A belonging. There is Christ's tenderness and reality between us - that Holy Spirit.

• 4 months later...

Yes,knowing I would inherit 10 Million dollars would affect my life now. As I'm basically, economically, a poor person. Living on a meager fixed income. So, yes it would give me great FINANCIAL security! But I know even on my meager allotment that I have even greater security with Jesus Christ.It may not be financial security, but it is so much more!It is GLORIOUS inheritance in his Kingdom, it is eternal life spent in the midst of His Glory!! I know that no matter what happens to me here on Earth that I can get thought it with the help of our loving Lord. I know that this place here on Earth is temporary,like a BLINK of an eye it is gone! What we have waiting for us so much better! I have more security in God then I could ever have with 10 million dollars and if ask to choose. There would be NO DECISION TO MAKE,BECAUSE I HAVE ALREADY CHOSEN GOD AS MY absolute sovereign provider forever and ever!

Fellowship is an area, in which I'm praying hard daily for God to help me with! I have always been a loner. A shy person. I have just recently started stepping up and having some fellowship within our church,and made many Christian friends this year both offline and online. I realize how very important it is to God that we fellowship with our brothers and sister, whom we will live together forever with in his Kingdom! And I want to please our Father!

I have made great strides with God's help in this area of my life in 2010, and hope to make even bigger ones in 2011, God willing!

• 1 month later...

#1. If I were to inherit $10 million it should affect my life now. Sadly it shows that I am not prepared for this sort of inheritance with little knowledge investment planning. I would make sure that this money would be treated with respect and caution. I would go to great lengths to invest it wisely so that this $ would grow.It would be invested in short term, medium term, and long term plans. Just as we have the parable of the talents so I would respect and honor that which the Lord has given me. As for now? I would position myself so that I would not be near financial sucking parasites who would rob me of my inheritance.I would encase myself with honorable persons and a system of growth that will bring rewards to bless others and so, the growth of the Kingdom of God.

#2.Our inheritance is "glorious" and "in the saints". This means that I will acknowledge that I can use my inheritance NOW to accomplish great things. It means that some promises are for "down the track" and some are for long-term provision.

#3. This is so exciting.....the fact that our inheritance is with "the saints". It means that I will have to fellowship with a variety of the body to achieve my inheritance. I know that when you invest, you do not put "all your eggs in the one basket"; such investment methods are foolishness. Some investments may be made with different types of persons who I ordinarily would not mix, yet the returns I need may be held with these people and I will have to draw on their experience with God to access my inheritance.

Thank you Doctor Wilson, this is truly revelatory.

• 2 months later...

If I knew that in a few years I would inherit $10 million, it would affect my life now by acting like I am already in possession of it.

Our expectation of an inheritance in God's presence should temper our present-day concern by focusing our attention on things above rather than on things below.

Since this inheritance will be shared with "the saints" -- our Christian family -- our fellowship with them should be cordial.

If I knew that in a few years I would inherit $10 million, it would affect my life by acting as though I have already in possession of the money.

Our expectation of an inheritance in God's presence should temper our present-day concern by focusing our attention on things above rather than on things below.

Since this inheritance will be shared with "the saints" -- our Christian family -- our fellowship with them should be cordial.

• 3 weeks later...

I wouldn't worry about the cost of things. I might buy "the toys" I always wanted because the finances wouldn't be a problem.

We are to rely on God because it is His world & He is in control of every aspect of it. We need not worry about how things will work out. It is always to our benefit even though we don't know it yet.

We should get along with other Christians since they are in the same family. There is always the problem with human pride & false sense of importance.

• 1 year later...

If I knew that I was going to inherit $10 million I don’t think that it would change my life style much. The only thing that I would probably do is make decisions on how I was going to spend it.

My expectation of the inheritance in God’s presence does temper my present-day concerns. I have something to look forward to that will last an eternity. Therefore I am going to do what God wants me to so I can please Him.

Since this inheritance is going to be with the saint it should always be good to be fellowshipping with them.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

If I were to inherit 1 million dollars in a few years, I would without a doubt be anxious to receive it. My expectation to inherit the riches of God would temper me to live in obedience to His will for me on earth and by His grace to live according to His will. We are to share our love and help for our fellow Christians. All believers are brothers and sisters in Christ and look forward to sharing His Kingdom. .    

• 1 year later...

If I knew that I would get $10 mil dollars, I would still live very cautiously. I would still count my pennies until the money really got here. I would not want to risk losing everything on a possibility. I really do not want to lose the things that I currently have.

I am so much more interested in risking all for God. I want to get to heaven. I want to be in His glory. I want to help my fellow Christians to find God in their hearts today. I want them to be able to have the joy and love that I feel right now. I want to share the excitement of God's love here on earth.

• 2 years later...
On 7/23/2006 at 9:19 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Yes I think it would, in the sense that I would be looking forward to the day that life would become a little easier as far as bill's go.

Looking forward to God's inheritance far out weighs money of any amount, I'm excited to know I have a great inheritance in God's presence.

It should effect our fellowship with them to come closer and humble.

• Pastor Ralph changed the title to Q10. Christian Inheritance
  • 1 month later...

Q10. (Ephesians 1:18c) If you knew that in a few years you would inherit $10 million, would it affect your life now?

May be I will not struggle again for the future knowing that the future is already prepared for me.

How should our expectation of an inheritance in God's presence temper our present-day concerns?

We should ensure we always seek first the Kingdome of God and His righteousness before anything else and ensure that we remain ever ready for Jesus return.

Since this inheritance will be shared with "the saints" -- our Christian family -- how should that affect our fellowship with them?

We should ensure a regular fellowship with the saints like the first church did- regular, praying, sharing the word and our possessions. So help me and help the church to do so Lord.

Q10. (Ephesians 1:18c) If you knew that in a few years you would inherit $10 million, would it affect your life now? How should our expectation of an inheritance in God's presence temper our present-day concerns? Since this inheritance will be shared with "the saints" - our Christian family - how should that affect our fellowship with them? 
I would be scared that it might corrupt me. It could cause me to take my focus off Jesus; for it is not possible to live for things and for God at the same time. I’ve seen the effect riches has on my family and my friends. This sudden wealth brings with it more problems than answers. I could start worrying about how to invest it, and what to do to preserve the capital amount. On top of this I could start planning and worrying about how to spend the interest! Another thing that often occurs is greed; when is enough - enough? The **** for more is stimulated. Instead of being content with the windfall; no, most want to double the amount in a specific period, like say 3 years. There will also be family problems who want a share of the money, causing all sorts of family divisions. Where our treasure is, there our heart is also. No, the Bible is right – one cannot serve two masters. "No servant can serve two masters. Either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and Money" (Luke 16:13). However, the inheritance God promises us is totally different. It is an unlimited amount of wealth, not a miserly $10 million; and it will be ours to share with our Christian family for all eternity! Praise our heavenly Father. 

This question compares what I would do if I inherited 10M to what I should do knowing I'm going to know the riches of His glorious inheritance to share with other believers.

First, though I'd be absolutely certain that no one knew about my temporal, 10 M inheritance, I would (or should) should tell everyone about my spiritual inheritance. 

Second, though I would secure a means of giving away the 10M anonymously, my spiritual inheritance has to be shared openly, I presume.

Third, though I'd spend a portion of my 10M on myself, guiltlessly and prayerfully, I would ask God to lavish my spiritual inheritance on me now, not later, and would greedily take as much as I could for myself.

Fourth, though I'd invest a portion of my 10M in a manner similar to how I'd invest my spiritual inheritance, I would do so knowing my temporal inheritance is limited both in amount and in the time I have to spend/give it whereas my spiritual inheritance is unbounded in all ways.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/23/2006 at 9:19 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q10. (Ephesians 1:18c) If you knew that in a few years you would inherit $10 million, would it affect your life now? How should our expectation of an inheritance in God's presence temper our present-day concerns? Since this inheritance will be shared with "the saints" -- our Christian family -- how should that affect our fellowship with them?

God has provided for me, which I am so thankful for.  I can't imagine that much money and I don't want it to change my life. I see what money has done to some people in thinking of themselves and how it can draw them away from God.  I don't know if I would live that long but if so, being in trouble financially, I would try to help someone in need.  Or, I would give to those who preach the truth.

We should be concerned with others needs and not ourselves.  Matthew 6:19-21 Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal: But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal: For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.

This pandemic that went on for a couple years now has kept us out of the church and isolated us. And, we don't get together as we should. We have had to wear masks, like the devil had put a gag order over our mouth, not to speak the Word of The Lord. 

What we should do is :Hebrews 10:24-25 And let us consider one another to provoke unto love and to good works: Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.

If our God was to bless me with an inheritance of ten million dollars, it would certainly affect my life now.  But not to the point that I will conform to the ways of this world.  It will affect me because I will earnestly seek God more diligence in how He wants me to bless others.  We are taught to be generous with our offering.  The enemy will try all to distract my thoughts, steal my inheritance, and distort my thinking with his crafty schemes, plans and attacks.  I will need God for than ever to protect me and lead and guide me unto all righteousness.  

We must continue to do the will of God and know with confidence that our obedience to God's will, ways and word will lead us to an everlasting life wih Him in heaven.  We must stay focus, keeping our eyes on the prize, knowing that no matter what is going on around us, regardless of what is being said, or written, God is still on the throne.  Jesus is our Savior and He is in control.   God forewarns us of the events of this world in His Word that is why it is so important to pray and study the Word of God.  God's word is faithful and true. should not affect our fellowship with them at all because we are taught in God's word how to interact with one another as His chosen ones.  

Our inheirtance with the saints, our Christians family, should not affect one way or another because we are taught through the Word of God how to interact with each other here on earth.  When we get to heaven, the Kingdom of God, all we did in our earthen vessel should be enhanced abundantly. The Bible is "basic instructions before leaving earth."

My response is based on PSALM 37:11.   As believers in Christ the Prince of Peace, the meek possessed with Christ's peace when they inherit the earth will establish universal peace (Isaiah 2:4; 11:6-9; 65:25). Revelation 20 goes into much detail about the Millennium and our future roles.   In the current state of affairs, we are to look unto Christ and not loose our peace of heart and mind over things that are beyond our understanding. 

We are to carry on our daily lives with patience and due diligence.  Psalm 131:2 ...aa a child weaned of his mother :my soul is even weaned as a weaned child.  As far as our encounters with believers; we must be very discerning.   We live now in an era where believers even in the churches are confused and aren't diligent Bible student's 

• 4 weeks later...

1. If you knew that in a few years you would inherit $10 million, would it affect your life now?

If I knew I would inherit $10 million in a couple years, I would probably live these couple years of my life less scarcely with money. I wouldn't be so hesitant to give money to those in need and I wouldn't be extremely focused on money because I would gain a very large amount of many shortly anyway. I would probably still save a little bit of money though, in the case that I might need some money before the $10 million arrive.

2. How should our expectation of an inheritance in God's presence temper our present-day concerns?

Honestly, the expectation of an inheritance in God's presence should make any Christian live this life take many more risks. Not stupid risks like many people take, but risks in different good things as in ministries jobs, outreach teams, dreams. If we know we are going to have the greatest reward in about 80 years time, than we should live this life taking very many risks because they will either benefit our time on earth, but if they harm us, we have a future of eternity in the presence of God to look forward to. 

3. Since this inheritance will be shared with "the saints" -- our Christian family -- how should that affect our fellowship with them?

Because of inheritance will be shared with the saints, it is extremely important for us to strengthen relationships with brothers and sisters in Christ while we are on earth. This doesn't mean that we need to be best friends with every Christian we know. But it does mean that we need to have good relations with those Christians because we are going to spend eternity with them in the AWESOME presence of God!

THANK YOU LORD!!!!!!!