JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q10. Christian Inheritance

Q2. (Ephesians 1:18c) If you knew that in a few years you would inherit $10 million, would it affect your life now? How should our expectation of an inheritance in God's presence temper our present-day concerns? Since this inheritance will be shared with "the saints" -- our Christian family -- how should that affect our fellowship with them?

(1) Yes! (2) I should keep my eyes on Jesus Christ and His return. (3) Sharing our inheritance with the saints will be great.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

That is a very difficult question. If I knew I was about to recieve a huge amount of money, what would I act like. In today's premise, even when I knew I was about to get a raise, I am tempted to spend even more. But in a spiritual matter, it would be different. Concerning money, I probably would be thinking what good that I might be able to do with do much money, helping people out, helping out the church, looking for areas real it can used for a great benefit.

But knowing that I have a reward of eternal life, I am thinking more along the lines of, I want to tell everybody else about it, becasue it is achievable for everyone to enjoy this. First, I want all those I love to be with me, and then all those whom I do not know, I would want to let them know of the joy also. I guess to put it all in a nice little package, because this is what my energies have been, to get the word out, as much as I can, to reach out as much as I can.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't think it would affect my life now, not until I actually inherited it. This is so much different than the inheritance promised by Christ - We have a promise of eternal life, but we aren't promised a tomorrow.

Because of our inheritance, our fellowship should be stronger with our Christian family - it is a tie to each other, a commonality.

Q2. (Ephesians 1:18c) If you knew that in a few years you would inherit $10 million, would it affect your life now? How should our expectation of an inheritance in God's presence temper our present-day concerns? Since this inheritance will be shared with "the saints" -- our Christian family -- how should that affect our fellowship with them?

Yeap I really work Hard to Get that Dollars..

Like motive for the Dollar

With more Love and Spiritual

• 2 weeks later...

Q2. (Ephesians 1:18c) If you knew that in a few years you would inherit $10 million, would it affect your life now? How should our expectation of an inheritance in God's presence temper our present-day concerns? Since this inheritance will be shared with "the saints" -- our Christian family -- how should that affect our fellowship with them

Knowing that I am going to receive such an amount in a few years time will surely affect my life now. I will make plans on how that money will be used. Perhaps some investment plans, donations, and supporting God's work on earth. I will surely live in anticipation of the inheritance and how my life will change when I have it

In the same way an inheritance in the presence of God calls for planning my life based on that hope so that I don't miss it. My choices, decisions, behaviour and attitude will be woven around this expectation.

Since I will be sharing this inheritance with other saints I think I will want to be at peace with them, show them the love of God and encourage them to work towards attaining the promised inheritance so they don't miss it. Amen

I think 10 millions would not affect my life now, becuse it is somethng what is not sure - today there is money tomorrow not. But God's inheritance is something totally different. It is sure that this is something what is mine and not just that - it is something so rich and abundant, and I can share it with all other people and we will all have plenty. This kind of inheritance is something which make me happy and calm because I know that after few more <ears here I will be with my God and forever there will be so many blessings for me there. While waiting for this inheritynce I can here, in this life be more connected with others without feeling that it will be lack of something if I am in community. My feeling of togetherness will be stronger and my love for others will grow.

If you knew that in a few years you would inherit $10 million would it affect your life now?

I would want to do everything I had to to make sure I received it and could enjoy it.

How should our expectation of an inheritance in God's presence temper our present day concerns?

I should put my concerns more in God's hands because He only allows what will be good for me and glorify Him. He wants to make me ready to receive my inheritance. "He who began a good work in you will be faithful to complete it". I'm glad He is faithful to His Word or I should give up in despair.

Since this inheritance will be shared with "the saints"-our Christian family- how should that affect our fellowship with them?

We should love them and treat them that way.

God Bless!

Jen

Numbers 6:24-26

• 1 month later...

you know, i watch my kids at christmas time, walking around and shaking their presents, counting how many they have,and it kinda drives them nuts with all this build up and secrecy. but when the day finally comes, they rip through them gifts and soon the high is brought back to reality.some presents don't even get touched after the first 5 minutes.and i think that is what would happen if i knew i would inheirit 10 million in a couple of years. the idea would consume me at first,then i would go through many different scenarios, as time went by reality would kick back in, and good stewardship would take place.(2)we should be able to breathe in and breathe out. and what i mean by that is no matter the cost,no matter how angry the person is in front of me,no matter if i'm on the front line in the iraq war,i know that i know that i know who holds me and all i need to do is respond to this love.even if it is not returned by anyone, including the saints..... now i have one question about this passage. is he actually talking about our inheiritance or HIS?from what i read, it appears that we are HIS inheirtance. so let me know.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I don't think I could honestly tell you how I would react to the knowledge I would inherit a vast sum. I tend to not like to count my chickens before they hatch as my grandmother would say so probably it would not have too much of an effect. Since the earthly responsibilities and requirements would not change at least for the foreseeable future, my life would have to stay pretty much the same. I also, though, see the point of the question. But even with the promise of my inheritance from my heavenly father, I would have to continue to live life as it comes until such a time that I receive that inheritance. As a result, it should not change my attempts to be what He wants me to be and to live the way He wants me to live. As with any "expectations or hopes" I have, it is usually a bit hard for me to accept that it is a sure thing to just wait on to happen.

I guess knowing of my inheritance, daily worries and "crises" should be alleviated and it should give me a shining light to follow through any dark times.

Since we know that our Christian family, who will share this inheritance, is the family we will have for eternity, I think we should try harder to get to know and understand them. Establish a relationship with them that we would want to last forever. We should not see them as any different as our blood relatives and band to gather as a closely knit group in times of need. Since our family in this case involves so many backgrounds and different cultures, it seems that trying to see everyones views and understandings might not only help us understand "where they are coming from" but might just give us some insight into "where we are coming from too."

• 1 month later...

10 milion$ would give me hope for finally doing some things i always wanted to do and make me excited just to think of it even though I would come short at the moment. I would just wait patiently for the grand gift and live with a positive attitude

We may hold on to a promise that whatever is hard now will pass since His joy comes with the morning

We should involve people in our lives and work on relationships and welcome others in our hearts even though they think different

Until I received the money, I'm one of those people that don't count their chickens before they're hatched. Too many things can happen to change things. However, our expectations of God's promises are secure that is definite and we should be affected each moment with that assurance and because of that common promise we should be able to love each other unconditionally and regard each other with a mutual respect of feelings.

• 3 months later...

If I knew that I was going to inherit $10m, it would not affect my life now and even then. I have in the past been blessed by lump sums of money and it has never changed me, in fact some in my family thought I was a fool for sharing it.

Our expectatioof an inheritance in God's prescence should make us very much concerned and we should have a desire to live righteouse because of our reward in which is above all measures.

The affect should be unconditional love

• 3 months later...

The fact that we have inheritance in God's presence should change our lives dramatically. It should make us stop striving to prove who we are to God, or that we are worthy. He has promised that inheritance to us - not dependant on our works but despite it.

As a result we should want to share the love of God to others so they can also share in His inheritance. When you go to a shop, restaurant, and get great service and food, you share your experiences with others so they to can experience the greatness so too should we feel that way of our experiences of God - yet so often we hide it from them.

We should fellowship in love with our Christian family - knowing that they too have been chosen to share God's inheritance. He loved us so much to choose us before time, so to did he love them. We often forget that love and focus on ourselves.

• 1 month later...

Yes, if I knew that in a few years I would inherit $10 million, it would affect my life...it would give me exuberant hope that something wonderful was going to happen to me. The expectations of an inheritance in God's presence should help me to live with great hope for what is to come, but being human I can't see this all the time and sometimes I fall short.

I'm very happy to share with all the saints, this sharing should make me aware of how much God loves all peoples.

• 1 month later...

• 1 month later...

If I knew I would inherit 10 million in a few years I cant really think what effects it would have on my life. Would it make me complacent and wasteful? Would it make me extra careful? I really don't know, it may make me think about what I would do with the inheritance in so much as where I lived, my family, my work etc. It is a difficult question, thinking of the promised inheritance of glory with the saints is something I cannot imagine as far is its splendour. I think about the joy that sometimes wells up in me, and imagine 'glory' will be 10, 20 30 times greater that the feeling of great joy, only this will be all the time!!! Our inheritance with the saints is a wonderful promise as we shall see loved ones who have gone before, and will look for loved ones left behind that they too will be saved. Thanks be to God for His promises.

• 2 months later...

No, knowing that I might inheret money in the near future would not affect my life. Money has no great value for me. Having nearly died twice, I know that life is short and I may not be alive several years from now. I have learned to say as Paul said that I have learned to be content with or without it. My greatest treasure,

is the pearl of great price, my savior Christ Jesus. No amount of money could ever compete or win and replace what I

have in Christ. However, should God decide that I live and inheret the money, I would ask him what he wants me to do with it.

We should be able to share all things with each other. After all, thats the way its going to be later so we might as well start to practice this concept now. I would really like to see more of this with other believers.

• 2 weeks later...

If I knew I was to inherit 10 million in a few years. I would live in great expectation and anticipation of that day that the inheritance would be available for my usage. Now with the anticipation of being "Seated in the Heavenlies" I should look forward to and live each day, with assurity of my position more and more. As far as the saints go, bonding, friendship, nuturing should be the "Catch phrase" of each day. Since we are going to spend eternity together we should be treating each other with the love that Christ loved the church. I try to foster and live this. Prior military expierence has provided a basic blueprint minus the "wordly bantering" that is prevelant in the military. The closeness and friendship and cohesiveness that is present in the military should pale in comparison to the saints being with each other.

• 2 months later...

Yes and no yes am getten 10,million in life some day, And no because i need it right now and cannot touch it. Here i would go along with paul says an inheritance which is attended by glory.which consists of glory in his presence and which makers us rich beyond all comparison.first it want affect us because there's plenty for all of God's children and we shared with the family it not about us so it want affect us because we are christ body.

• 4 weeks later...

If I knew that in a few year I would inherit $10 million I guess it would affect my life now to the extent that I wouldn't worry about things that I know are coming in the future, like getting children through college and things like that. Our expectation of an inheritance in God's presence should make us not worry so much about earthly wants and needs, but it's hard for our human brains to wrap themselves around the concept of how short our time on earth is compared to eternity in Heaven. Since we're going to be spending eternity with other believers, we should make every effort to overcome our differences now.

• 1 month later...

Q2. (Ephesians 1:18c) If you knew that in a few years you would inherit $10 million, would it affect your life now?

Not physically, but it would affect the way I plan for the future, and the way I think and feel. Having lived with barely enough for most of my life, and in poverty for many years, knowing this would nullify that mind set....I would feel "rich" even though I haven't inherited the $10 million. I would live with great expectation of the gift waiting for me.

How should our expectation of an inheritance in God's presence temper our present-day concerns?

Present day concerns would take on the proper priority...they are temporary, and short lived in terms of the time I will spend in eternity. And since there IS a great inheritance waiting for me in the future in Heaven, this piddling stuff should not worry me day to day. (I have to say though, when a need arises, in spite of all God's past and present provision, I still feel moments of "oh no..what will we do?", until I remember that God has promised to meet our needs, then I pray and ask Him and it arrives. Because much of His provision comes at the last minute, I revert back to childhood where my needs were ignored or shamed, until I remember who my Father is now)

Since this inheritance will be shared with "the saints" -- our Christian family -- how should that affect our fellowship with them?

It should make me more aware that class structure, and elitism is a thing of this world. Fellowship here should be based on the fact that we are all equal in God's sight, in Him there are no favorites, there is no male nor female, no slave nor free, no rich nor poor, no Roman nor Greek...we are all one in Him. The worlds goods do not distinguish anyone in God's sight, nor should it in mine.

When for a few years we had some to share, we shared generously. In poverty, the saints of God shared generously with us...some provided temporary housing, some provided money when the business failed and we had none for food and necessities. When friends were going on outings or trips, I was invited and provided for, even given spending money, just as though I had my own provision. When sick, a brother in Christ, a physician treated us for free. Many times bags and bags of groceries were provided. Transportation was provided for many years since I didn't have a car. When finally in an apartment, and our 12 step Bible study needed a place to meet, I provided the place with great joy! When I needed clothes, instead of being given cast offs, I was given gift certificates to Macy's so I could choose what pleased me....Our dream is to one day have a foundation where we can meet the needs of those who are suffering as we have, and to do so anonymously. If I knew I would inherit 10 million dollars, I would know that this is what it is to be used for...and to know He has answered our hearts desire to help others as we've been helped, and would depend on the Holy Spirit to direct the resources entrusted to us, to be spent and sent to where He directs.

Incidentally it was individual saints who met our needs, not the "church" and never the government or it's agencies..God led His children to be sensitive to our needs and to meet them so that we never felt "less than" or humiliated. My hearts desire is to do the same for others.

• 1 month later...

Q2. (Ephesians 1:18c)

If you knew that in a few years you would inherit $10 million, would it affect your life now?

How should our expectation of an inheritance in God's presence temper our present-day concerns?

Since this inheritance will be shared with "the saints" - our Christian family - how should that affect our fellowship with them?

It might corrupt me. It would take my focus off Jesus. I would start worrying about how to invest it, and what to do to preserve the capital amount. On top of this I would start planning and worrying about how to spend the interest! However, the inheritance God promises us is totally different. It is an unlimited amount of wealth, not a miserly $10 million; and it will be ours to share with our Christian family for all eternity!