JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

I think that it is so hard to understand grace because it is out of our control. We think we have to control everything. It may be because we are selfish and we can’t understand anybody that gives us something for doing nothing. We probably wouldn’t do that so why would somebody do that for us.

To translate the word “grace” into a language of a 10-year-old child would be telling them that they deserved punishment but you have forgiven them and they would be punished.

• 5 months later...
  • Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q1. Why is it so hard for us to understand grace?

Grace gives rise to the idea of something 'undeserved', which conflicts with our general thinking because we live in a performance based society.  We work, we get rewarded; no work no reward.  Likewise we are rewarded for good behavior and punished for bad behavior.  Grace is totally walking in the opposite spirit.

It's easier for us to hold grudges, not to forgive, to seek revenge, to hate; and to do differently, is to give grace.  Being gracious is something we have to learn, it's not natural.

The ultimate demonstration of grace, is the Lord giving up His Son on the cross for sinners like me.

What commonly held life principle does it demolish?

Grace demolishes the life principle, you get what you deserve.

Translate the word "grace" into language a 10-year-old child would understand.

My dear, you will be getting that toy for Christmas, although you surely did not deserve it.

• 11 months later...

In today's society, we are conditioned towards rewards for even the smallest of actions. As children we are programmed to 'work for treats'; a pre-courser for good behaviour.  Sadly, there are some children who are conditioned to believe that the love of a parent is only given as a reward for doing good deeds or specific 'favours'; so when it comes to a loving God whose only desire is to lavish on us, His children, His 'favour' this maybe construed as manipulation, while others will see it as receiving something they do not deserve and yet are unable to walk in the knowledge that grace is given - not for anything we have done or as a reward, but just because God loves us.

Likewise, a third category, which is prevalent in many churches, is the idea that because we now live under grace we can keep on sinning by being under the conception we are no longer accountable for our actions.  This is a gross misunderstanding of grace and earnestly needs re-dressing.

Another category, which makes grace difficult to understand, is when we do not get what we deserve.  Sometimes when we have hurt a person so deeply it brings them to tears, the natural reaction of the flesh is to expect that person to retaliate and hurt in return, but, when grace is given, it is disarming.  This unexpected reaction forces us to question the motives of a person who would shower good things upon us instead of retaliating.  When we come to realise what God has done that for us, through Jesus Christ, the enormity of the outpouring of His grace is  so overwhelming that some shrink from this enormity and either mock God's grace or they become so critical because they cannot face the truth of God's great love they hide away in the dark places of wrong doing, of drugs, or drink hoping to deaden the pain of shame, while others are so ashamed they cannot face themselves or the consequences of their in/actions and take their own life.  But there are others who, seeing the enormity of their in/actions and are, themselves so overwhelmed by God's grace, that the only reaction they can do is fall to their knees and seek the forgiveness of God through the faith and belief of what Jesus did on the cross and find themselves forgiven and cleansed, able to stand before a righteous God holy and blameless.

It is our reactions to grace which truly define us as human beings and, more specifically, as follower of Christ.      

I spoke, recently, to my Goddaughter about this subject and explained to her that grace is a gift God gives us - for no reason but that He loves us and wants to confirm His love for us by blessing us.  I then went on to see if she had a full explanation of what Jesus did on the cross and she knew that Jesus died for our sins, rose again and ascended into heaven, but I felt this was just 'learnt information' so I asked her to put it into her own words and this is what she said; "I know that I upset mummy at times, but this does not stop her from making sure I get up for school, have a clean uniform, food to eat when I come home, so I suppose God's grace is similar.  in the sense that because I do things wrong He doesn't stop loving me, but allows the sun to shine, and gives strength to my mummy to do all the things she does for me and my sisters."  My Goddaughter is 9 years of age.

• 1 month later...

Q 1 Why is it so hard for us to understand grace ?

>We are tied the concept that

there is nothing for free.

Q 1 (ii) What commonly held life

principles does it demolish ?

>It demolishes the principles man

has held for long that

forgiveness is tied to

- ability to do the right thing

- Mans works of righteousness

Q 1 (iii) Translate the word " grace "

into a language a 10 year old

child can understand ?

> Grace is unmerited favor from

God.

• 1 month later...

Q1. Why is it so hard for us to understand grace? What commonly held life principle does it demolish? Translate the word "grace" into language a 10-year-old child would understand.hard to understand grace

If as unbelievers, we are spiritually dead, not understanding how a God who is all knowing and all powerful, could possibly want to grant us pardon for our sins. It would be hard to believe He would send His only Son to die for us and that belief in Him and His redemptive work, God, by his mercy and loving kindness would forgive our sins.   

Grace demolishes the life held principle that by good works we gain entrance into heaven. This may be a good idea, but it can never be a redeeming work to cover our sins. Only the blood of Christ can redeem us from our sins. this redemption being a gift from God our Father, never by works alone.          

Q1. Why is it so hard for us to understand grace? What commonly held life principle does it demolish? Translate the word "grace" into language a 10-year-old child would understand.hard to understand grace

If as unbelievers, we are spiritually dead, not understanding how a God who is all knowing and all powerful, could possibly want to grant us pardon for our sins. It would be hard to believe He would send His only Son to die for us and that belief in Him and His redemptive work, God, by his mercy and loving kindness would forgive our sins.   

Grace, the gift from God our Father totally demolishes the belief of gaining heaven by our works. 

To explain grace to a child we could use the example of a family that went to the beach for an outing. One of the children was on a rubber raft which began to be swept out to sea. A bystander, noticing the the child was in danger of drowning, swam out to rescued the child, knowing he was putting his life in danger. Safetly back on the beach, this could be explained as an act of grace.   

• 2 months later...

1.Why is it so hard for us to understand grace?

As a child we are so used to "reward and punishment" way of life that if we do something bad we are punished and if we do something good we are rewarded.And as we grow up,it becomes a norm where ever you go,in school and after that in work.Merits and demerits system.

And most of us including myself grow in Religious setting family,who wants to upholds the 10 commandments "thou shall not"..as if we really can obey it all,just like our forefathers before.

So therefore our mindset has been program,since childhood to "do this" and "don"t do this" kind of thinking that we react instinctively in every situation according to what we believe is right or wrong..that we need to do something..the focus in ourselves in order to be blessed or cursed,which is the very opposite of Grace.

2.What commonly held life principles thatbit demolish?

Self righteousness.

3.Translate the word grace intona language a 10 year old would understand.

LOVE.I will love you no matter what you do.

• 10 months later...

We do not quite grasp the concept of grace as a gift from God. We keep trying to make ourselves worthy of it. We are not worthy of it. Even our good works do not make us worthy of grace. We fall short on so many aspects of life. We do not keep the covenant with God on a daily basis.

To a 10 year old child I would say: grace is a loving and caring gift from God because we are His children. God does us a favor each and every day by giving us His love and the presence of the Holy Spirit in our lives. Even when we do the wrong things, God still loves us and shows us this love with the gift of grace.

• 2 years later...
On 7/29/2006 at 6:41 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q1. Why is it so hard for us to understand grace? What commonly held life principle does it demolish? Translate the word "grace" into language a 10-year-old child would understand.

We cannot believe that something so wonderful could be ours.

That nothing is for free.

God has set us free with his favor and never ending love.

• Pastor Ralph changed the title to Q18. Grace
  • 2 months later...

Why is it so hard for us to understand grace? What commonly held life principle does it demolish? Translate the word "grace" into language a 10-year-old child would understand.

Grace is something hard for people to understand because it is not something that we naturally do. We can only do this under the influence of God’s Spirit. Undeserved favour is similar to love your enemy, it goes against our nature. 

I would say it demolishes the principles that dictates that everyone gets what they deserve or nothing is for free. 

Grace means to give your very best to someone who is not good to you. 

Q18. (Ephesians 2:8-9) Why is it so hard for us to understand grace?

I personally understand grace as unmerited favour and see myself as the greatest beneficiary of God’s grace.

What commonly held life principle does it demolish?

The principle of merit is demolished by grace principle.

Translate the word "grace" into language a 10-year-old child would understand.

I think ‘unmerited favour’ may do, or buying an ice cream for child who has just been disobedient to a parent and deserve a cane!!.

Q18. (Ephesians 2:8-9) Why is it so hard for us to understand grace? What commonly held life principle does it demolish? Translate the word "grace" into language a 10-year-old child would understand. 
Because of our self-centredness and selfishness, we always want to be in control. It’s all about me, me, and me. We belong to this world and cannot perceive getting a free gift without working for it – earning it. If we are given a “free” gift, we always think there is a hidden agenda behind the gift – nothing is for nothing. It is only when we come to the realisation of the true meaning of grace that we surrender all to our Lord and Saviour Jesus. Our response should be one of gratitude once we realise our salvation and even our faith are free gifts from our heavenly Father. It has nothing to do with who we are or what we have done. It cannot be earned. If this was so, then salvation is no longer by grace (Rom 11:6). Also, it would give us a reason to boast (Rom 3:27). What will happen, we will want to serve our Lord Jesus, by showing love, and kindness to others out of our thankfulness for what He has done for us. To the young child: “Always remember Jesus loves you so much, that He wants to give you gifts, and these gifts are called grace.” 

"There's no free lunch."  That's the expression I heard the other day which applies to the concept of grace. Grace is the negation of this concept, as it is a "free lunch" in an spiritual/eternal sense.

It's difficult to believe in grace because nothing in life is free ... no one seems to want friendship, for example, unless they can get something from me.  So, I'm wary. Jaded. I'm tired of being used. At this point, I don't believe anyone is truly selfless and generous.  Sad, but true.

When it comes to God, I carry forward my earthly disappointments. Do I really believe that there's no hidden cost? No. I can't even conceptualize this. Thus, I keep trying to earn His approval because, frankly, I don't believe He will love me unless I make an effort to earn His grace.

--

What to tell a ten-year old?  I'd say:  If life is Monopoly, then grace is the "Get out of jail free" card.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/29/2006 at 6:41 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q18. (Ephesians 2:8-9) Why is it so hard for us to understand grace? What commonly held life principle does it demolish? Translate the word "grace" into language a 10-year-old child would understand.We dont understand

We don't understand grace because we always think we have to pay back for what we get.  Living in an apartment complex, close to my neighbors, being single and liking to cook, I always love to share my extras with neighbors.  I am not looking for returns but people feel because you give them something, they have to give you something in return.  It's like you just do it because you want to and grace is just receiving it with thankfulness.

That you have to pay for what you get.

You give someone cake that you made and it is free.  God gives his life for you and you receive it willingly and thankfully.

• 2 weeks later...

We live in a culture where self reliance is treasured.  In our American culture self reliance is paramount;  appearances mean everything.   Pulling up by one's boot straps is the way here in USA.  This way of thinking is totally anathema in the Bible;  the Word of God underscores the GRACE OF GOD.  Word studies of sodzo.and soteria underscore the kerygma message as preached during the early Church.   

A little child receiving an ice cream cone is an apt description of divine grace and getting wonderful hugs as well.

• 1 month later...

1. Why is it so hard for us to understand grace? What commonly held life principle does it demolish?

Grace is an extremely difficult thing for us to understand because it completely destroys the life principle of getting what we worked for. Grace is something that we receive for no reason whatsoever. Somebody, in this case God, just chooses to give us things because He wants to. As humans we're not used to that. We find it unusual and almost uncomfortable to receive something when we've done nothing to receive it. Still, if grace is stretched out toward, the only thing we can do is thankfully accept the gift/blessing.

2. Translate the word "grace" into language a 10-year-old child would understand.

Grace is "getting something that you didn't work for and don't deserve."

THANK YOU GOD!!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Grace is hard to understand because as a rule nobody has ever given us something out of the clear blue sky. We think that we have to earn everything and grace is just the opposite of that. Grace is something that you didn’t earn, it was just given to you because somebody loves you.

• 1 year later...

Grace means that God showered favor and blessing on those who did not in any way deserve or earn it. They deserved His judgment and wrath. But He showed them favor. God’s pure grace gets polluted from two sides. On the one side, grace runs counter to the way the world works, so it’s difficult for us to grasp it and get used to it.

Sin demolishes grace
God is not expecting anything from us, just our love and worship,
We can’t make it to heaven on our own

Grace is like getting a present you don’t deserve. It’s a gift that someone gives you just because they love you.