JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

:lol: I believe that it is hard for us to understand Grace; because it is to good to be true, that we would be given so much for nothing. After all grace is a gift from God to sinful man. It demolish the life held principle that we can earn from God by being and doing good.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q1. Why is it so hard for us to understand grace? What commonly held life principle does it demolish? Translate the word "grace" into language a 10-year-old child would understand.

there is no requirements for grace, no list to complete, no achievement necessary.it completely throws us off everything we have understood to be true.our reality at best is vague and insincere.we always place conditions on everything. i think grace smashes the good boy-bad boy legacy. i know we are teaching our two boys to make wise decisions so we are using"was that action a good boy or bad boy?" i let them answer but they always want to know if thats who they actually are. i tell them love is not based on what you have done it is a choice i made long before they did anything wrong. then off they go once again.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Grace is not something that this human flesh can comprehend. Our nature can not equate God's merciful love .

That type of love does away with our selfish desires, it's all about me, take care of me first .....

a ten year old might translate "grace" as taking a test at school without studying and deserving an f on the test but

getting an A

Q1. Why is it so hard for us to understand grace? What commonly held life principle does it demolish? Translate the word "grace" into language a 10-year-old child would understand

Because it is for free, undeserved. It demolishes the principle that we have to earn credit. We get something that we did not deserve. But we get it because of the love and goodness of the Giver.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

We find grace so hard to understand because in our culture and society you work for everything you have - it is all about getting ahean and no-one is going to give you a free ticket! Everyone is out for themselves and what they can do - not helping each other. We make it all about what we do - our works, and acts. We continually try to prove something by our works rather than our works proving something about our personality!

Grace is about getting the good things you don't deserve

- getting things when you don't deserve them

• 5 months later...
Q1. Why is it so hard for us to understand grace? What commonly held life principle does it demolish? Translate the word "grace" into language a 10-year-old child would understand.

It is hard for us to understand grace because we have so little grace in our nature. Grace is unmerited favour, because of our pride and stiff necks we find it goes against the natural grain of things. Our Lord Jesus bestows His grace fully, and yet although we read it, and in a certain sense accept it, we still have our old nature demanding some form of 'merit' because when the soul kneels before a Holy God and sees grace for what it is, then truely that soul is left without any hedges, completely exposed, completely at the mercy of our Lord, stripped of everything, accepting one thing only, and that being the grace of God. Oh what a wonder this is, that Holiness can be joined with sinful man. Out standing before God can only be in Christ. His sacrifice, undeserved, our punishment deserved. And He chose to give this to His children. Why? Because He did, and that is that. God is creator and sovereign, and He can bestow His grace upon sinners and can and does draw them to Him. We must ever remind ourselves that it is by grace that we are saved, not because of any merit, but because He loves us to the uttermost. Why my deceitful and vile heart do you stray from this wonderful precious eternal grace. How can it be that My Lord and Saviour intercedes even now for me. The old testament is a wonderful testimony to the grace of God, for time after time His children sinned, and yet with patience He kept them in His hand, and even now He keeps me in His hand. Praise be to God for ever and ever more.

• 2 months later...

Grace; unmerited favor. Why do we have difficulty understanding this concept. We all want grace, forgiveness. On the other hand we want justice for victims and violators alike. We are selves are violators of God's laws. So we find ourselves in a pickel. Our own sense of fairness and justice demands punishment for those who break the laws of our nation. Those who abuse others. Yet, we ourselves broke God's laws and we find ourseleves in a very bad position. So Grace is unmerited favor. Something we dont deserve, haven't no cant earn. So, amazed at God's love and grace I worship and say THANK YOU LORD!!!

Grace demolishes the word or phrase. Justice and punishment.

To explain grace to a 10 year old; At 10 children know the difference between right and wrong. With that said; I tell a child not to play ball in the house, and does it anyway. Thus destroying a prized family heirloom. Mom is hurt and crying. Dad is mad as mad can be. The child knows and realizes what he/she has done. The child is scared, knows their in deep trouble. But dad says: You know I told you not to play in the house with the ball. You disobeyed me. Destroyed a family heirloom that you mother loves very much. No you mom will punish me for what you did because I love you and dont want to see you get hurt or in trouble. That is grace that a child of 10 can understand. That is what Jesus did for us on the cross. We broke Gods laws and sinned againt the father. Jesus paid the price for our sins.

• 4 weeks later...

A mature understanding of grace compels us-motivates us-to live graciously. It makes us WANT to obey God's laws, to do all we can to live in ways that please Him. It makes us want to do all we can to act and think in ways that show we understand God's grace. When we talk "justice" everyone understands....when we talk "grace" ....people are leary...GRACE is an absolutely undeserved, totally UNFAIR gift, that we are given.

• 1 month later...

those of us who were spiritually dead God has gives spiritual life a new quality of life that begins right nowq and lasts forever. when God give us this gift of life he gave it when we were dead in transgressions this spiritual transformation is something God accomplished in us. the word grace mean favor on us from God the father.

• 4 weeks later...

It is so hard for us to understand grace because it goes against our nature of "deserving" something. Grace demolishes the principle of having to earn favor. Translating the word "grace" into language a 10-year-old child (my son for example) would understand sounds something like this: "Grace is getting something you don't deserve, like when we let you have a friend over to spend the night, even though earlier in the day you were fighting with your brother and being selfish; we didn't have to do it, your behavior didn't warrant it, but we did it anyway, just because we love you."

• 1 month later...

Q1. Why is it so hard for us to understand grace?

We have a conscience. We know we're guilty and have fallen so short that there is no way for us to earn anything but the punishment we deserve.

What commonly held life principle does it demolish?

Only if you do good, are good, work hard for it, do you get rewarded. "Nothing in life is free"...etc.

Translate the word "grace" into language a 10-year-old child would understand.

Favor is another word for grace. Every child of God is His favorite, and He gives us kindness and favor which we don't deserve, simply because He loves us. He does this for us, before we even know Him. Grandma sent beautiful gifts to you when you were born, before she'd laid eyes on you, because you are her beloved grandchild! You didn't earn the gifts, work for them, or deserve them just for being born, but she showered you with them just because you arrived and are a part of the family.

• 1 month later...

Q1.

Why is it so hard for us to understand grace?

What commonly held life principle does it demolish?

Translate the word "grace" into language a 10-year-old child would understand.

Because of our self-centredness and selfishness, we always want to be in control. It

• 6 months later...

The way of the world, the American way, at least, is "getting what you deserve" and displaying your earnings as a badge of pride and success. It's hard for us to understand grace because the concept does not appeal to our thoroughly ingrained sense of "right and wrong" (although we are usually blind to our own "wrong"). Popular books and movies usually show characters getting what they earn or working hard to achieve success. While there is nothing inherently wrong with this concept--in fact, it is reinforced by certain Proverbs and other writings in the Bible--it limits God to exclude him from using other avenues like grace and mercy. Salvation is all about grace. While working hard may (or may not) bring earthly success, it absolutely will not bring us salvation.

For a ten-year-old: "Let's go out for ice cream."

"Why?"

"Just because."

• 1 month later...

Q1. Why is it so hard for us to understand grace? Because as humans we so rarely give without expecting to get anything in return. Pastor Ralph's example of the manipulative parents in the run up to Christmas is a sad one, but probably true.

What commonly held life principle does it demolish? You get what you deserve, you reap what you sow.

Translate the word "grace" into language a 10-year-old child would understand. I can't better what Poetmom came up with on 2nd March so I will repeat it:

For a ten-year-old: "Let's go out for ice cream."

"Why?"

"Just because."

• 1 month later...

It is hard for us to understand grace because usually the only time we get anything is if we work for it or for our b day, x mas, etc. So it demolishes the life principle of you only get what you deserve. Grace is you getting something even when you know you dont deserve it cause they know!

5a)It is like a friend talking bad of you& hurting your feelings but you decide to show love & be kind to the person anyway. We are not used to sin being unpunished, and being forgiven b)We live in a society that has a principle nothing is free everything costs you something. Also principle you will be ok if you are good. Nothing we do will ever make our relationship with God on our own. Christ dying on the cross for our sins has made our relationship right with God if we accept this free gift. Grace is doing good to someone when they don

• 1 month later...

Grace is giving love. When we say grace before we eat, we thank GOD for everything that HE has given us... We give love to the one that request HIS divine love.

Bruno J......

• 3 months later...

To me it is hard to understand grace becasue it is given freely to us. We are so into ourselves we are always saying we we we or I I I did this even when we have done something that we are not suppose to and we come out of it we glorify ourselves and not God who has given us grace even though we do NOT deserve it. Grace demolish sin!

AS far as translatint to a 10 year old the word of grace; I would say you know when you have done something wrong that you know you was not suppose to do and you know you will get in big trouble and when your parents find out and call you in and question you about it and you are scared but tell the truth, they talk with you and explain the where you went wrong and gives you advice for the future. That is grace when you know you deserve something more thatn what you get for doing something out of line.

• 5 months later...

Grace, is counter-culture in our Western society; we work, therefore we get. Because this is so ingrained in our psych, we think this way of others as well and find it difficult, if not impossible, to extend grace without God's nature being unhindered in His expression in us. We, are by human nature, unforgiving and ungracious. To understand grace, we need to delve into the Kingdom culture of Christ and ask for His infilling to extend it to others.

Grace demolishes works, pay-back, expectations, and revenge. Grace is the antidote to bitterness. We relinquish bitterness as we understand God's true grace towards as.

"Grace, Sweetheart, is like when your Dad came home from work and he was really tired, and sore from carrying all those logs, and he finds out that you have just kicked your toy through the glass door. I know you felt pretty bad. But Grace is like that time, when your Dad got you to clean your toys up and Dad cleaned the glass up so you would not cut yourself. He got you out of the mess and fixed it up."

• 1 month later...

It is so hard to under4stand grace because of the theological trimmings attached to it. We are conditioned that if I do this then I need to be rewarded so we all struggle to put on good behavior. It is also misunderstood because we do not believe in giving out things freely. We believe that you have to work and earn everything you own. When somebody bless us with something we may be thinking that I have to reciprocate.

The commonly held life principle it demolishes is the principle of earning things by yourself that is the principle of nothing is free and you have to pay for everything you own. I can make it on my own principle.

This is how I will translate "grace" into language a 10-year-old child would understand. Grace is a free gift from God and you do not have to do anything to earn it. It is given to you regardless of who you are - good or bad. It is like doing a favor to someone even if the person does not deserve it. Grace is unmerited favor God bestowed on everybody.

It is so hard for us to understand grace because of the theological trimmings attached to it. We have been conditioned that if I do this then I need to be rewarded so we all struggle to put on good behavior. It is misunderstood because we do not believe in giving out things freely. We believe that you have to work and earn everything you own. When somebody bless us or favor us with something we may be thinking that I have to reciprocate.

The commonly held life principle it demolishes is that the principle of earning things by yourself that is the principle of nothing is free and you have to pay for everything you own -- I can make it on my own principle.

This is how I will translate "grace" into a language a 10-year-old child would understand. Grace is a free gift and you do not have to do anything to earn it. It is given to you regardless of who you are -- good or bad. It is like doing a favor to someone even if the person does not deserve it. Grace is unmerited favor God bestowed on everybody.

• 2 weeks later...

It seems to easy there has to be some work that needs to be done. That we need to work to earn grace. Grace is the gift God gives with no thought of getting anything back. You can't earn grace it is always free.