JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

1. I don't think there is anything scary about predestination. I was and still is God's intention for us to be his sanctified creation. That is why He provided the means for us to have a relationship with Him through Jesus. That provision was prophesied in Genesis 3:15.

2. As a means for comfort, as we come to know Jesus more and more it is comforting to know that He is interceding for us in that though we have our failures if we humble ourselves He is forgiving.

3. I think Paul brought it up as an assurance maybe to the spiritually weak with-in the church of Ephesians.

4. Praises should always be in order for Him who has made a way for us to have such a fellowship that we so enjoy.

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Predestination is something that i believe God has all control over and i have nothing really to be scared of,cause God will let us know through his word and when we pray to Him.THe most comforting is that we are here for a reason and we all have a purpose and was chosen for a reason. Paul needed to give us encouragement and assurance about predestination and that we are all meant to be God's children.

Predestination is something that i believe God has all control over and i have nothing really to be scared of,cause God will let us know through his word and when we pray to Him.THe most comforting is that we are here for a reason and we all have a purpose and was chosen for a reason. Paul needed to give us encouragement and assurance about predestination and that we are all meant to be God's children.

I agree with that.

The thing that gets me the most with this predestination argument is that if God had already chosen who would be saved and who would not, what would the purpose be of whitnessing and praying for people???

To me, predestination means that God has a plan for us personnaly but it is dependant on our accepting Christ and following where he leads.

It is preordained that all should come to know the Lord...We have been given free will...and through it..we make the choce..our choices can carry great consequences...but mercy is there and we can find it if we are willing to surrender to God's will..What scares me is myself..It is so comforting to know the Lord never forsakes me..Paul reminded the Ephesians of their hope and assurance and that is a great encouragement even now in these times...How can we not praise the Lord for what He continues to do day by day in our lives when we surrender our lives to His will knowing his plan is for good towards us...

I agree with that.

The thing that gets me the most with this predestination argument is that if God had already chosen who would be saved and who would not, what would the purpose be of whitnessing and praying for people???

God gave us a free will..a will to choose..as his word says..choose ye this dat who you will serve...ther eis no argument in this for the Lord gives no argument but plea...that we trust Him in that He sent His Son, Jesus to pay the price for our redemption...to believe and trust His word as it is true as every promise He has given is proven true...Our true witness to others is our lives..to live a life worthy of His calling and the Lord calls each and everyone..it is the heart of man that accepts or rejects...

Q2. (Ephesians 1:4-5) What is scary about predestination? What is comforting? Why does Paul bring up predestination? Why do you think he praising God for it in the "hearing" of the Ephesians?

Predestination seems to say that God has chosen only a set of people, predestining them to be holy and blessed on earth, excluding others or the rest who have no idea at all why they are on earth in the first place, who did not will to be born on earth from the start and have no idea at all what they are supposed to do, saved by their ancestors who train them on what to do. Otherwise, it would appear like they are born into this earth without a choice due to predestination. This is scary, knowing what if I am not among those chosen, I will not belong to God or be considered his child because He did not predestine me at the beginning? Poor me!

But if predestination means for anyone who tries to embrace Him as his/er God and continues to pursue it despite the struggles, then this is something comforting. At least, we are given the free will to follow and honor Him or not. If we do follow and honor, the process makes us predestined according to His ways and wills, especially so if we really are serious with it and try to perfect it.

Paul brought predestination to give us encouragement. To strenthen our faith, that despite the many fumbles and falls we make while trying to be a christian, God is always there, ready to rescue us if we confess and try to repent.

He praised it in the "hearing" of the Ephesians so the Ephesians will be encouraged by it as well.

Predestination does not scare me, becasue it does not nullify my free will. God has a plan for everyone's salvation and sactification. He wants all to be saved. However out of His respect for our free will, He gave us the choice to accept or refuse His plans for us.

I pray that God reveals His plans for me every day through the Holy Spirit and gives me the spirit of obedience to walk in it.

Q2. (Ephesians 1:4-5) What is scary about predestination? What is comforting? Why does Paul bring up predestination? Why do you think he praising God for it in the "hearing" of the Ephesians?

Christ calls to redemption, baut we aaare not robots aand arre given free will to become a chosen one of God's family. Some maay doubt. but the Holy Spirit will confirm your election. We aa rae ssealed by the Holy Spirit. Paual having a Damascus conversion that was so dramaatic was so blessed and full of the spirit had only praise to be given to Christ.

What is Scary about Predestination is that God knows His people , we can't pretend that we know God when we do not Love Him with all of our heart and mind.

When we know that God knew us before the creation of the earth , should encourage us to seek His face and know Him more .

What is scary about predestination (to the extent that I understand it correctly) is the fact that God's plan for His church and for us as members of it were set out before the creation. It is an underlying reason for the creation. God's purpose has been there all along. It is quite daunting to think that I am part of this collosal enterprise. And yet it means that I count for something. I have a purpose that I was designed to fulfill. I am not an accident in a randomly directed world. God cares and God loves and God has a plan for each of us within the church under the headship of His Son. Paul raises the matter of predestination because it shows the strength of the foundation and purpose of the church. It was always meant to happen. God planned it to happen when it happened. It was an essential part of the ministry of Jesus. By his praise Paul emphasises the importance of the foundation of the church. The only correct decisin a person can make is to become a dedicated member of it.

What is scary about predestination is that I could have chosen to not be a part of the church. It is comforting to know that God had planned for me and gave me a choice. I think Paul brings up predestination to let everyone know that they have the oppurtunity to be a part of the church, that not one of us is left out. I think he is praising God because even the Ephesians can become a part of God's church, meaning that to God no one is beyond hope.

I think our (or maybe just my) concept of predestination carries with it a stigma of coercion. That as my Father, He has made choices and directions and plans for me and for my life that I have no say in. But as I have "grown" in the Lord, I have this picture of a gift - chosen for me. It is mine, it belongs to me, because He chose it for me before the beginning of time. But I don't really own it until I choose to accept it.

Even more than that, I have to choose to allow that gift to become a part of my life, and allow myself to become a part of it. My choosing or not choosing the "gift" doesn't cause it to cease to exist or to stop being. It doesn't change the "gift" - for it will accomplish what God has set it forth to do (whether I participate or not). But I will be changed - good or bad - depentding on how I choose to participate (or not) in the activities of the kngdom.

God has predestined the right path for me - becuse he knows me from the foundations of the world. But do I choose to walk in the path?

That's when predestination is comforting. When I choose to follow what my Father has chosen for me, because then I find perfect peace, becuase He knows my deepest needs.

The only thing that I can think of as being scary about predestination is that God knows my ever move, thougt and actions so He knows my short commings. Its conforting to know that mypast failures and sins have already been forgiven. I believe that Paul was also speaking to us to day also and letting people know that God loved us before we were born and wanted to save us prior to our birth. Praising God for his Love for us.

I see nothing in this to be scared of as I had the freedom of choice to follow or not follow until it got to painfull and forced to serender. It is a comfort to know that God has forgive my past, present, and

future short comminings. Prasing for the knowledge of forgiven sins.

Scary about predestination is that He does not choose us as part of His plan that he is bringing to fruition, but comforting is that we are part of it. He chose us in him before the creation of the world. In love he predestined us to be adopted as his sons through Jesus Christ.

Paul brings up predestination, because he want we really understanding that we Gentile Church are part of God

• 2 weeks later...

If you don't understand "predestination" the word would certainly be questionable to some. "If I'm predestined to be saved (as some believe) why do I have to do all these things the Bible tells us we need to do? If I'm predestined to go to hell (as others might believe)...why should I even try?"

To not know that you are definitely a childl of God would be scary to me. The assurance I have of spending eternity with God, inheriting everything Jesus has inherited, being a joint heir with Him and being seated before the throne is such a joyous comfort.

I think maybe Paul brought the subject up in the hearing of the Ephesians so they could have the reassurance of their eternal life in God's presence. Probably not one believer alive has not once wondered if they were one of the group who would be left behind. But a quick urging of the Holy Spirit, telling them to remember "whose" they are should quickly dispell any doubts...or fears.

I don't know why anyone who understands predestination would be afraid. God has destined believers for salvation...to live eternally with Him after our years on earth are finished. We can do this b/c of the sacrifice our Lord and Savior made in our behalf...accepting our sins upon His sinless body and nailing them to the cross in our place...for the penalty of sin is death. God, in His infinite wisdom, knew this plan would be necessary from the beginning of time..He knew some would believe in who His Son is and some wouldn't...for those who wouldn't there had to be a consequence...eternal damnation. It's our choice to believe or not believe.

But one of my favorite sayings is "God knew the ending from the beginning."

There is nothing scary about predestination, it is something beautiful God has done for us. What is co forting to know is that God knew me and chosen me before the foundation of the world. I think that the reason that Paul brought this up was to let us know that God has pick us, chose us, thought of us, and had a plan for us before the world was made. And I believe that Paul was praising was because he and the church was again chosen by God before the earth was made. Praise the Lord!

dee

I dont see predestination as being scary. I guess before I was in Christ I would look at it as not knowing.

To me it is comforting to know that God loved us so much and He is all knowing that He chose us to be Holy and blameless in his sight. He already knew what he wanted for us before the world began. Paul was pleased with the church at Ephesus and he encouraged them to keep the faith and beleif in God because that would sustain them. It is the same for us today. Paul paised God for the Ephsians hearing the word of the Lord and accepting it in pure faith without having to see anything with their physical eyes. You know what I mean. Faith is not faith just because you see something happen, it is what is not seen. We are sons and daughters through Jesus Christ. I am so glad I am saved by His power divine, saved new life sublime, now life is sweet, my joy is complete, I am saved, saved, saved.

Praise the Lord

The scary part of predestination is the responsibility that comes with that calling. When we become part of a family you are answerable to that family; you are responsible to do your part in preserving that family and helping them to grow stronger and move forward. The comfort is that God has given us all we need through Christ to fulfill our responsibilites and our role in that family.

Q2. (Ephesians 1:4-5) What is scary about predestination?

Some are afraid of it because they think it means that before we are born we are predestined to either be saved or lost. That thought is so far removed from what the Bible tells us. God predestined us to be with him for eternity, and all we have to do is choose to receive it. If we choose Him then we are choosing his predestination for us. Not scary at all to me. What would be scary is knowing that I rejected Him.

What is comforting?

To know that God is in control. To know that He loves me and wants me to spend eternity with Him. What an awesome love that is.

Why does Paul bring up predestination?

To remind them of God

Early in my adoption into God's family, when I first believed, the thought of predestination, adoption and election were those comforting ideas I needed to stay the path. While I cannot say that I fully comprehend the concept, there has never been a bit of fear associated with this idea. Totally the opposite - comfort. Along the way of understanding I came to see that there was also a responsibility on my part to 'glorify god' in all I say and do as my role in predestination. So before there was time, an eternity before, there was a plan for me to use my fruits to glorify God, then came my execution of the plan. The sad part is that I know family and friends who have heard the Word, yet still choose not to believe and as a result, right now, I may not see them in Heaven.

I believe that Paul, a Jew, brings up the topic to insure that the Gentiles understand that they are chosen as well and will have all the rewards God can give as they continue to Believe. This also shows God's love for us.

God is all the time! All the time God is Good!

Q2. (Ephesians 1:4-5) What is scary about predestination?

There is nothing scary about predestination. Infact in my life I can clearly see that everything was predestined and unknowingly Lord made me see the same. I truly believe in Psalm 139:16 "Your eyes beheld my unformed substance. In your book were written all the days that were formed for me, when none of them as yet existed."

What is comforting?

The comforting thing to me is the words of the Lord in Jeremiah 29:11 "For surely I know the plans I have for you, says the LORD, plans for your welfare and not for harm, to give you a future with hope." What can be more comforting than these words. For I know and can see that my lord is taking great care of me and am sure St Paul must have seen it too during his lifetime.

Why does Paul bring up predestination?

I just think St Paul is reiterating what he believes in and what is stated in scriptures.

Why do you think he praising God for it in the "hearing" of the Ephesians? Like a true lover he believes in praising and exhalting the lord for everything. After all it is stated in Sirach 43:30 "Glorify the Lord and exalt him as much as you can, for he surpasses even that. When you exalt him, summon all your strength, and do not grow weary, for you cannot praise him enough."

Rom. 8:29 "For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren." KJV Predestination is taught in the New Testament. It is hard to understand. We know that the Bible teaches that it Jesus is "...not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance." 2 Pet. 3:9 KJV

Nothing is scary about it unless we do reject salvation. Rom. 10:13 "For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved." KJV

As far as praising God in the hearing? "How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher?" Rom 10:14 KJV. To be saved you have to hear.

There is nothing scary about it because you know that whatever happens God has a plan for me.

It is beautiful to know that you are included in God's plans. Before I was formed he knew me and chose me.

The thoughts of God are greater than of man therefore he has greater plans than those I can make for my self. Paul told the Ephisians so they would know that God was with them. And that they were a part of God's plan.