JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q38. Modern Apostles

• 1 month later...
Q1. (Ephesians 4:11) If there were apostles today, why kind of function might they have? What needs do our congregations and regional groupings of churches have that an apostle might meet? How might we detect false apostles? (2 Corinthians 11:13; Revelation 2:2)

i think that if paul and peter were here today they would knock all the churches heads together.i believe by reading 2 timothy3:16 they would show us what is right(doctrine), whats not right(reproof), how to get right(correction), and how to stay right(instruction) false apostles lead us away from christ.sometimes it is hard to see their lies clearly,so we must put every word under the microscope. the word of god can have many rabbit trails if we don't correctly divide the truth.we must spend quality time in the word of god with the holy spirit as our teacher. `

• 3 months later...

Well, I don't really know how to improve on Pastor Ralph's explanations of modern-day apostolic ministry. I guess some of our insight on this would be related to whatever experience we've had within our particular denominations. In overseeing a regional grouping of churches, I would think an apostle today would be a unifying leader, an encourager to local pastors, a visionary for church planting.

Detecting a false apostle would come through the testing of his teaching about Christ and salvation. It would eventually be discerned and observed by the fruits of that person's labor and evidences of his influence. And the test of genuine Christianity is love for God and others, which will ultimately be missing in a false apostle.

• 4 weeks later...

Modern day apostles would be visionaries and possible very charismatic orators. These leaders would guide us in being sure we followed the correct paths and fulfilled the great commission of making disciples of all the world.

However, we must be careful that we are following a true apostle. A false apostle can be recognized by his teaching and his leadership. If his teaching is not in line with God

• 5 months later...
Q1. (Ephesians 4:11) If there were apostles today, why kind of function might they have? What needs do our congregations and regional groupings of churches have that an apostle might meet? How might we detect false apostles? (2 Corinthians 11:13; Revelation 2:2)

I believe that Apostles are truly sent ones...Sent to encourage....I don't believe that they have authority over the churches. I don't believe that Paul had authority over the churches that he wrote to. He was able to send letters to encourage....and to admonish. but in all reality they were free to do as they please. Just as we as believers are free to do as we please. We are not under the law but under grace. You cannot control people.. that is the job of the Holy Spirit to convict when there is error; which of course correction can come through an apostolic ministry or even through the believers. I see to many running around today claiming to be apostles that want to control the local body when they have no relationship other than showing up once in awhile to collect some money and then move on to the next body-repeating the same. The Apostle Paul had built relationships with the churches but in all reality he had no control or authority over them. They still went about there own business just as Jesus described them in the book of Revelation. Some had ears to hear and some did not.

• 1 year later...

Q1. (Ephesians 4:11) If there were apostles today, why kind of function might they have?

Perhaps this is the missionaries role today...being sent out to bring the gospel to the unchurched then to plant a church in their midst and to oversee churches in different areas...like Bishops do now.

My Pastor has been asked by 3 churches in different countries, and 2 in California where we are located, to oversee, give prayer support and accountability, teaching, etc. for their churches. We send teams to teach and train, etc. I suppose this is also an apostolic role.

What needs do our congregations and regional groupings of churches have that an apostle might meet?

Staying connected to the larger body of Christ, to see the big picture rather than just being "one little congregation", so as to not become "ingrown"....and to bring oversight, correction and encouragement to Pastors, etc., as Paul did in his day.

How might we detect false apostles? (2 Corinthians 11:13; Revelation 2:2)

For one thing they are "self appointed"....there are some of those in the body of Christ today, who tithe to one another's ministries, so that they all have private planes to fly around in, and have not been appointed or chosen by a body of believers but by each other. These folks have no accountability to anyone, and are free wheeling and dangerous, gathering followers and leeching funds which should support the local church, by promising huge returns if you give to them...one even promised "no-evil oil' would be sent in return for a large donation, to keep Satan away from you rather than teaching how to do spiritual warfare!

They victimize lonely, isolated folks, and those who are ignorant of scripture which teaches that we will know them by their fruit, which is deceitful, and they don't teach the truth of scripture. I've seen some on Christian T.V., whose purpose seems to be to accumulate wealth for themselves, and to lead others astray by teaching only the health and wealth "gospel", while they have become extravagantly wealthy and live lavish lifestyles with huge homes in several areas.

• 2 months later...

Q1. (Ephesians 4:11)

If there were apostles today, what kind of function might they have?

What needs do our congregations and regional groupings of churches have that an apostle might meet?

How might we detect false apostles? (2 Corinthians 11:13; Revelation 2:2)

They would be sent as special messengers to spread the Word and to establish churches. They would also be responsible for a group of churches, being the overall leader of that group. We will detect any false apostles by their teachings and if they should act on their own behalf and not in the interest of his group of churches.

• 6 months later...

I think of people with the gift of apostleship as those who are gifted in establishing new fellowships. Some pastors are very gifted in getting the ball rolling with planting churches or revitalizing existing churches. New people may then step in for the long-term teaching and shepherding of the church while the apostle moves on to start another church. I believe God gifts people with the personality and talents needed to initiate something like that.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I believe it would be allowing God to use them to plant more churches. Strong leadership. Any one who does not live by the word of God and live a life that glorifys God.

• 1 month later...

They would go out and spread the word of Jesus..False apostles would be detected by their teachings,and their faith

• 2 months later...

1.If there were apostles today, What kind of functin might they have?

They would have the same functions as the twelve, I would think. They must teach the word of God to all believers to ensure their understanding and then mentor a other anointed ones to be able to take over so they can moved on to other churches and unbelivers. They have to each strong leadership.

2. What needs do our congregation and regional grupings of churches have that an apostle might meet?

The needs we have is to be knowledgeable in the word to strenghthen our faith and we grow stronger in the Word. This helps us to walk in his way on this daily journey. We need to learn to love one another at all times and not just in a time of need.

3. How might we detect false apostles?

We can detect them if we know the Word because 2 Tmtothey tells us to study to show thy self approve. Don't just take what people say and run with it. Check it out first, and they act one way one minute and another the next.They truly do be looking out for themselves and see who they can get to support them no matter what. Their faith is weak.

1.If there were apostles today, What kind of functin might they have?

They would have the same functions as the twelve, I would think. They must teach the word of God to all believers to ensure their understanding and then mentor a other anointed ones to be able to take over so they can moved on to other churches and unbelivers.

2. What needs do our congregation and regional grupings of churches have that an apostle might meet?

The needs we have is to be knowledgeable in the word to strenghthen our faith and we grow stronger in the Word. This helps us to walk in his way on this daily journey. We need to learn to love one another at all times and not just in a time of need.

3. How might we detect false apostles?

We can detect them if we know the Word because 2 Tmtothey tells us to study to show thy self approve. Don't just take what people say and run with it. Check it out first, and they act one way one minute and another the next.They truly do be looking out for themselves and see who thdy can get to support them no matter what.

• 6 months later...

If there were apostles today their function would be similar to that of the original twelve apostles chosen by Jesus. They would be leaders and their main role is to teach the Word of God and maintain administrative roles as overseers of churches.

The needs that our congregations and regional groupings of churches have that an apostle might meet is an admonition by Paul to Timothy, "study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth." (2 Timothy 2:15). The world also meet the requirement to, "preach the word, be instant in season, out of season, reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine." (2 Timothy 2:4).

We might detect false apostles (2Corinthians 11:13; Revelation 2:2) by the fruits they bear in the vineyards of the Lord (Matthew 7:15-20).

If there were apostles today their function would be similar to that of the original twelve apostles chosen by Jesus. They would be leaders and their main role is to teach the Word of God and maintain administrative roles as overseers of churches.

The needs that our congregations and regional groupings of churches have that an apostle might meet is an admonition by Paul to Timothy, "study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth." (2 Timothy 2:15). The world also meet the requirement to, "preach the Word, be instant in season, out of season, reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine." (2 Timothy 2:4).

We might detect false apostles (2 Corinthians 11:13; Revelation 2:2) by the fruits they bear in the vineyard of the Lord (Matthew 7:15-20).

• 1 year later...

If there are apostles today I think the function that they might have would be to make sure that the word of Jesus spread through-out the nation. They would be responsible to care for a certain group churches.

We might detect false apostles by what they are saying and doing. If they are not preaching the good news then they are false.

• 1 year later...

According to scripture apostles were Christ personal messengers to establish His church. they were chosen by Him and all were eye witnesses to His person while He was alive among the Jews. Christ appeared to Saul, to and chose him to preach the gospel to the Gentiles.There are some pastors today who have placed the title of apostle before their name. Their reason for this is unknown to me. The apostle function would be to perform signs and wonders, help to build up and unify the church and of course to spread the gospel.

The needs that an apostle might today for our congregations and churches would be to help unit and bring all denominations together and encourage the gifts of the Holy Spirit.

Detecting a false apostle would be to determine if he is in agreement with the Word of God or if they were false teachers. By his works and beliefs he would be considered an imposture. Actually they would be preaching just what the people want to hear, an ear tickler. Another problem, who designated them as an apostle? We are to stand fast in the faith and Word of God to recognize these imposture's.     

• 1 year later...

I think that apostles today might actually be a strong guiding force within a group of churches. I feel that a true apostle would be able to try and make congregations more Christ aware. They would help people to live by the Spirit and true faith. They might actually be able to open the eyes of people so that there would be more love and acceptance within a congregation.

I believe that we would be able to recognize false apostles because of the lies that they will tell us. They will try to manipulate the bible to fulfill their own agenda. they will profess to know the truth but their words will be lies.

• 2 years later...
On 9/4/2006 at 8:51 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

I do think there are apostles to day, they travel church to church and preach, teach, heal and in some way are joined to that church.

Leadership

By there fruit, if they live by the Word. 

• Pastor Ralph changed the title to Q38. Modern Apostles
  • 2 months later...

Q38. (Ephesians 4:11) If there were apostles today, why kind of function might they have?

There can still be a place for apostleship today. Their function will be to provide leadership to a group of churches to ensure healthy spiritual and numerical growth in love.

Such needs include but not limited to healthy congregation that is full of the power of the Holy Spirit and are united in peace and love for one another.

Q38. (Ephesians 4:11) If there were apostles today, what kind of function might they have? What needs do our congregations and regional groupings of churches have that an apostle might meet? How might we detect false apostles? (2 Corinthians 11:13; Revelation 2:2) 
Today, apostles would be the men who are directly commissioned by the Lord to preach the Word and to plant churches. They would be sent out into the world as Christ’s ambassadors and witnesses. They would have the power to perform miracles (2 Cor 12:12) as a means of confirming the message they preached (Heb 2:4). They would also be primarily concerned with the foundation of the church (Eph 2:20). This could apply to the many great Christians of today and of the past, but I feel that the apostles Paul mentions, are the ones that were personally chosen and authorised by Jesus Himself. Also, they had to be a witness to the resurrection of the Lord (Acts 1:22). So, in this sense there are no apostles today, but there are people with apostolic ministries who are doing pioneer missionary work, church planting, and so much more. We will detect any false “apostles” by their teachings and if they are hoping to make a good profit from preaching (2 Cor 2:17). These men who profess to be speaking for God come in sheep's clothing, giving the appearance of being true believers. “By their fruit you will recognize them” (Mat 7:16). They must be tested by the word of God. If their teaching does not agree with the Scriptures, "there is no light in them" (Isa 8:20). 

• 2 weeks later...

If there were apostles today, what kind of function might they have?

IF apostles existed today, they'd be CEOs of the church. Wagner's definition, without the spiritual dimension, is that of a capable CEO of a company with many divisions. Imagine the CEO of General Electric switching his abilities and knowledge to the church under the inspiration of the spirit. Every hierarchical denomination has someone at the top who is supposed to be living up to Wagner's definition, (though I don't think they're apostles.) Some larger non-denominational churches have pastors that function as spiritual administrators as well. Evangelists such as Billy Graham do not exercise control of churches, but are powerful spiritual leaders. 

It is the claim of the catholic church that the pope is the only apostle and that apostolic authority and power have been handed down, pope after pope, successively. This denomination claims that the only true living apostle is the pope of the Roman Catholic church, effectively negating claims of other apostle-leaders -- note that two-thirds of the world's Christians are under his "authority."

I don't know.

I'm not convinced that hierarchical groupings/denominations are organizational structures given to the church by God; if these earthly hierarchies are not of Him, the existence and qualities of an apostle become a moot issue. Perhaps a more power-distributed system in which every church has it's own pastor works better in real life. 

Churches, when organized, seem to get top-heavy and lose their original passion, mandate and identity. Reform movements correct this to some degree, but if the church is heavily bureaucratized, reform is almost impossible. The oldline denominations in the US are dying because their structures, organizational hierarchies and embedded leaders repel reform. Each of these denominations has a archbishop or it's equivalent -- apostles-lite! -- who have overseen the decline and apostacy of their denomination.  Many/some of the most spiritually alive churches have been forced to defy and reject the demands of their leaders. 

I guess I'm trying to say that heads of reform-averse denominations cannot be "apostles."

One more thing. Although a hierarchy with an apostle-head could be the ideal structure in the best of times with the best of apostles, this confluence rarely happens. Perhaps it is best to diffuse power (not have an apostle) because human nature is such that power corrupts. An apostle has concentrated power. Authority/power is put in the hands of one person ... which can be great if that leader is a mature, God'-fearing individual, anointed by God, but also incredibly damaging if that person is corrupt. The history of the Catholic church's papacy is a case in point. 

How might we detect false apostles?

Their pride. 

x

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/4/2006 at 8:51 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q38. (Ephesians 4:11) If there were apostles today, why kind of function might they have? What needs do our congregations and regional groupings of churches have that an apostle might meet? How might we detect false apostles? (2 Corinthians 11:13; Revelation 2:2)

They might be sent to churches in other towns, area, other parts of the world to cover people with the Gospel who haven't heard of Christ and His saving power. Sent to teach, preach, pastor, oversee.

Bring correction, preach the truth in love, unify the church and promote the Love of Christ in one another.

We can detect a false prophet - By their fruits you will know them, they preach their own opinion, not what the Word teaches, twisting the Word to their own desires, are motivated by greed and their own lusts.

• 4 weeks later...

If we had genuine Apostles today, their ministries would be confirmed by apostolic signs (2Corinthians 12:12), recognized by the church (Galatians 2:7), singled out by the church (Acts 13:1) and called by God  (Galatians 1:15).

The New Testament shows us that Apostles were in all churches (Ephesians 4:11; 1 Corinthians 12:28).  They are endued by the Holy Spirit to maintain or bring to birth new churches and maintain them.

Today I often think about the courageous Apostles that risk their very lives in Central Asia or in Iran or China--they travel miles in utmost secrecy to spread the Gospel throughout vast lands devoid of  church buildings and schools.  The underground churches in China are prime examples as well.

False Apostles are deceitful, work inquiry, corrupt truth, seared  consciences, propagate errors, speak presumption and compromise the Gospel truth.  We see this amongst leaders of many Christian mainline churches.  Tbey teach doctrines of devils, and giving heed to seducing spirits.  This mystery of inquiry is the cause of these false Apostles leading people astray.  The church has a  very holy responsibility to demonstrate the mystery of godliness in this corrupt generation. The church is the pillar and ground of truth; it must not allow false Apostles to wreck havoc. According to Ephesians 1:10, the  church has a very important role to rid the earth of all the enemies of God, including false Apostles.

An Apostle today would exhort and admonish regional churches.  He would exhort them concerning Holy living and evangelical endeavors.  Most importantly, he would preach and teach the Holy Bible through and through.  I pray often for many unknown Apostles that are doing all the above.

• 1 month later...

If there are apostles today, their function would be the same as those in the Bible. The needs of our congregations and regional grouping of church is be brought together under the Lordship of Jesus Christ. We can tell that they are false apostles by the works that they produce.