JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q5. Isaiah 53 in the NT

Q5. Which single New Testament passage best sums up for you the lessons of Isaiah 53? Why did you chose this passage? List of NT Allusions to Isaiah 53

Of the passages provided, I found the 1 Peter 2 passage to most succinctly depict what is taught about the Suffering Servant. I want to add a few verses preceding the reference given.

I Peter 2:21-25

"For to this you have been called, because Christ also suffered for you, leaving you an example, so that you might follow in his steps. He committed no sin, neither was deceit found in his mouth. When he was reviled, he did not revile in return; when he suffered, he did not threaten, but continued entrusting himself to him who judges justly. he himself bore our sins in his body on the tree, that we might die to sin and live to righteousness. By his wounds you have been healed. For you were straying like sheep, but have now returned to the Shepherd and Overseer of your souls. "

Here we have mention of the meekness and silence of the Lamb of God; His sinlessness, His utter lack of deceit. He took it, when reviled; He kept silence and did not threaten when suffering. He "continued to entrust Himself..." that just depicts the stillness of a sheep when it is trussed or captured for any reason. I've never seen a sheep slaughtered, but have seen them shorn...they go still and lie quietly and just take it without fighting or struggling. This is what Jesus did. He "continued entrusting Himself to Him who judges justly" ...

and of course, it says right here that He Himself bore our sins IN HIS BODY on the tree. He did that, to empower us to die to sin and live to righteousness. And there is a direct quote "by His wounds you have been healed." I'd say that Peter was teaching that Jesus IS the Suffering Servant.

so, that's the NT passage that explains it best IMO, about Jesus being the Suffering Servant

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q5. Which single New Testament passage best sums up for you the lessons of Isaiah 53? Why did you chose this passage? List of NT Allusions to Isaiah 53

The Son of Man must be lifted up. I believe it because Jesus spoke it and it gives us the knowledge that He can and willing died for us he was our Lamb our Sacrifice for our sin not any of His own He was pure and Holy and gave Himself up for us. 1. Bears our sin as a substitutionary atonement,

2. Receives the punishment due to us on account of our sin,

3. Acts voluntarily as a sacrifice for us,

4. Performs the cleansing and justifying roles of a priest, and

5. Is finally exalted and vindicated by God in resurrection from the dead.

Romans 3:24-26 "

* and are justified freely by his grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus.

* God presented him as a sacrifice of atonement, through faith in his blood. He did this to demonstrate his justice, because in his forbearance he had left the sins committed beforehand unpunished--

* he did it to demonstrate his justice at the present time, so as to be just and the one who justifies those who have faith in Jesus.

I think it reflects Isaiah 53.

Q5 I chose Philippians 2: 7-11 because Jesus who is the son of God could have come in

a more spectacular way but humbled Himself by obedient to His father to the point of

dying on the cross for the remission of mankind's sins. This passage teaches us to

follow in the footstep of Jesus in obedience, to be humble and to submit to God's

will for us. Most of all we are to be careful in our way of life that leads to sin.

For the salvation of our souls we need to hold fast the word of life, so that on

Christ's second coming we can rejoice with glory and enjoy the kingdom He has prepared

for us.

These are all great examples of Isaiah 53, but I chose Phil. 2:5-11 because it starts by reminding me that I'm to have the same attitude, purpose and humility which was in Christ Jesus, then tells exactly how He lived this out: He was one with God, possessing the fullness of the attributes which make God God, yet He did not grasp after it or try to retain this, but stripped Himself of all privileges and rightful dignity and became a servant/slave that He might become like me, a human being. Further, He abased Himself carrying His obedience to the extreme of death on the cross. Because He stooped so low, God exalted Him and bestowed on Him the Name that is above every other name, at which every knee must bow and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

In stooping so low as to endure the cross, He raised me up to live with Him in this life and in eternity with Him in the next, cleansed, forgiven, free from all bondage, robed with His righteousness. His love for me is unfathomable! That He would rather die than live without me leaves me forever amazed, knowing I am cherished and in awe of Him!

In Philippians 2:5-11 Paul really captures the very nature and mission of Jesus. Paul stresses Jesus' humility. Just by becoming a human being was a humbling event. Jesus gave up his divine privileges and humbled Himself in obedience to God in dying a criminal's death on the cross. However, because of Jesus' obedience and faithfulness to His mission, "God elevated him to the place of highest honor and gave him the name above all names" Phil. 2:9 (NLT).

Paul captures the suffering Messiah, Jesus Christ, who walked on this earth as described in Isaiah 53 in this passage of scripture.

• 3 months later...

My favorite is 1 Peter 2:21-25.

"To this you were called, (suffering) because Christ suffered for you, leaving you an example, that you should follow in his steps. He committed no sin, and no deceit was found in his mouth. When they hurled their insults at him, he did not retaliate; when he suffered, he made no threats. Instead, he entrusted himself to him who judges justly. He himself bore our sins in his body on the tree, so that we might die to sins and live for righteousness; by his wounds you have been healed. For you were like sheep going astray, but now you have returned to the Shepherd and Overseer of your souls."

Interesting enough, I am also doing an additional Ephesians study (I recommend) on Vision for the Church. Next to this 1 Peter passage I have marked "Isaiah 53" and in reference to 1 Peter 2:4-7.

"As you come to Him the living stone-rejected by men but chosen by God and precious to him-you also, like living stones, are being built into a spiritual house to be a holy priesthood, offering spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ. For in scripture it says:

See I lay a stone in Zion,

a chosen and precious cornerstone,

and the one who trusts in him

will never be put to shame."

Now to you who believe, this stone is precious.

The stone the builders rejected has become the capstone.

To those who don't believe, this stone is a stone that causes men to stumble and a rock that makes them fall.

WOW! Thanks be to God! Thank you Holy Spirit for faithful direction and encouragement!

Praise Jesus! He's alive!

• 7 months later...

Q5. Which single New Testament passage best sums up for you the lessons of Isaiah 53?

I think that the passage from Philippians 2:5-11 (NIV) includes several of these concepts:

5 In your relationships with one another, have the same mindset as Christ Jesus:

6 Who, being in very nature[a] God,

did not consider equality with God something to be used to his own advantage;

7 rather, he made himself nothing

by taking the very nature of a servant,

being made in human likeness.

8 And being found in appearance as a man,

he humbled himself

by becoming obedient to death—

even death on a cross!

9 Therefore God exalted him to the highest place

and gave him the name that is above every name,

10 that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow,

in heaven and on earth and under the earth,

11 and every tongue acknowledge that Jesus Christ is Lord,

to the glory of God the Father.

Why did you chose this passage? This passage includes several concepts that are part of Isaiah 53. Jesus acted willingly. His death on the cross was for the punishment of our sins and He was obedient to that. Because of His willingness and obedience, God has exalted Him above ALL in the Universe. I like this passage because it echos several of the Isaiah 53 concepts but it takes it further saying He is our model.

List of NT Allusions to Isaiah 53

• 1 month later...

The single New Testament passage that best sums up for me the lessons of Isaiah 53 is 2 Corinthians 5:21 "God made him who had no sin to be sin for us, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God."

I chose this passage because it gave me the concept of the great exchange that took place on the cross. Jesus willingly took our sins in his body and gave us his righteousness.

Thank You Jesus.

Q5. Which single New Testament passage best sums up for you the lessons of Isaiah 53?"Romans 3:24-26... and all are justified freely by his grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus. God presented him as a sacrifice of atonement, through faith in his blood. He did this to demonstrate his justice, because in his forbearance he had left the sins committed beforehand unpunished -- he did it to demonstrate his justice at the present time, so as to be just and the one who justifies those who have faith in Jesus. (Romans 3:24-26)

Why did you chose this passage? It is the most conclusive and insightful.

List of NT Allusions to Isaiah 53

Of the passages you listed in your question, I would say that 2 Corinthians 5:20-21 sums it up well. As I said in answer to an earlier question, the song "Jesus Messiah", which says "He became sin, who knew no sin, that we might become His righteousness", is the first thing that came to my mind when thinking about the phrase "substitutionary atonement". Philippians 2:5-11 is also a good summary of the "suffering servant" theme for me. Romans 5:6-10, however, may be my favorite passage in the whole Bible, and it sort of sums up the message of Isaiah 53 pretty well, too: "When we were utterly helpless, Christ came at just the right time and died for us sinners. Now, most people would not be willing to die for an upright person, though someone might perhaps be willing to die for a person who is especially good. But God showed his great love for us by sending Christ to die for us while we were still sinners. And since we have been made right in God

The single New Testament passage that best sums up for me the lessons of Isaiah 53 is John 1:29, "Look, the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world."

I chose this passage because it is the New Testament foundation passage on which our Bible study about the Lamb of God is based.

John is the forerunner of Jesus and he pointed to Jesus for his listeners to know that it is not about him but about Jesus who comes to take away the sin of the world. He is the fulfillment of the Old Testament prophets and the Law and therefore we should listen and follow his way of doing things.

• 2 weeks later...

Which single New Testament passage best sums up for you the lessons of Isaiah 53? Why did you chose this passage? List of NT Allusions to Isaiah 53

To me it sums up the power and peace of my Lord Jesus....on His own...with no force He willingly laid down His life for all of the world. Not just a chosen few but all of us.....all we must do is accept Him...and believe.

1 Peter 2:24-25 (The Message)

21-25This is the kind of life you've been invited into, the kind of life Christ lived. He suffered everything that came

his way so you would know that it could be done, and also know how to do it, step-by-step.

He never did one thing wrong,

Not once said anything amiss.

They called him every name in the book and he said nothing back. He suffered in silence, content to let God set things right. He used his servant body to carry our sins to the Cross so we could be rid of sin, free to live the right way. His wounds became your healing. You were lost sheep with no idea who you were or where you were going. Now you're named and kept for good by the Shepherd of your souls.

• 2 weeks later...

2 Cor 5:21

'God made Him who had no sin to be sin for us, so that in Him we might become the righteousness of God'.

God loved Jesus passionately but in order to draw close to sinful man, he not only got Jesus to carry our sin, but to actually BECOME sin, so that we could be righteous and walk with God.

:wub:

• 1 month later...

Q5.

Which single New Testament passage best sums up for you the lessons of Isaiah 53?

Why did you chose this passage?

(Select from Matt. 26:38-42; Luke 22:37; John 1:29; Romans 3:24-26; 2 Cor 5:20-21; 1 Peter 2:24-25; 1 Peter 3:18; Philippians 2:5-11 - or any other passage you can think of.)

Philippians 2:5-11. In these verses I see the true nature and character of Christ that is depicted in Isaiah 53. Jesus, having equality with God, still humbled Himself and made Himself nothing by becoming a servant and a man. I see the humiliation, weakness, and obedience of the Suffering Servant of Isaiah 53:12. Yet He was still the all-knowing, omnipresent, and all-powerful Lord our Saviour! He did not have to die on the Cross for us, yet He did it willingly. This is grace, mercy, and love! What a Mighty, Gracious, and Loving Saviour we serve!

• 1 month later...

Which single New Testament passage best sums up for you the lessons of Isaiah 53? Why did you chose this passage? (Select from Matt. 26:38-42; Luke 22:37; John 1:29; Romans 3:24-26; 2 Cor 5:20-21; 1 Peter 2:24-25; 1 Peter 3:18; Philippians 2:5-11 -- or any other passage you can think of.)

1 Peter 2:24-25

24Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed. 25For ye were as sheep going astray; but are now returned unto the Shepherd and Bishop of your souls.

I chose this passage because it captivates much of what is being said in Isaiah 53 and ultimately we are returned (redemption) to the Shepherd and Bishop of Our Soul. This passage has some of the language in Acts 8 with the Ethiopian Eunuch. All the passages are related but my second one would be 1Peter 3:18 For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit:

• 1 year later...

Q5. Which single New Testament passage best sums up for you the lessons of Isaiah 53? Why did you chose this passage?

1Peter 3:18 For Christ also suffered once for sins, for the righteous and unrighteous, to bring you to God. He was put to death in the body, but made alive in the spirit.

I thought it captured the message of Isaiah 53 well.

• 1 year later...

The New Testament passage which best sums up the lessons in Isaiah 53 to me is Romans 3: 24-25.    "God presented him as a sacrifice of atonement, through faith in his blood.  He did this to demonstrate his justice because in his forbearance he had left the sins committed beforehand unpunished."    Jesus acted wisely.  He was a man of sorrows, many rejected him.  He did not open his mouth at the trial and he was led like a sheep to the slaughter.  Jesus was punished for us.

• 10 months later...

After studying all of the passages, I have personally chosen 1Peter 2:24-25. Not only does this passage sum up the concepts and lessons of Isaiah 53, but it also speaks to my soul. It tells how Jesus died. It tells why He died. But it also tells how He is glorified and watches over me. It clearly states that He watchs out for my soul. The fact, that I too am compared to a lamb, makes me feel the bond with Jesus as my brother. I know that He has my back because He is the ultimate Shepherd.

• 3 weeks later...

The single most New Testament passage that best sums up my lesson for Isaiah 53 would be Philippians 2:5-11. Here the servant of God who is Jesus, Gods only begotten Son, has come down to earth in the form of a man, to be obedient to His Father and to fulfill the purpose for which he was sent, to preach the good news of the Kingdom of Heaven. In his obedience to deliver himself to be persecuted and put to death on the cross for the forgiveness of our sins. He provided a way for us to be forgiven of our sins, to be justified, sanctified and last of all glorified back to our Heavenly Father, who could not allow sinful man in His presence. Jesus the servant provided an atonement for us to be brought back into the Glory of God.            

• 5 months later...

I Peter 3:18; "For Christ died for sins once for all, the righteous for the unrighteous, to bring you to God. He was put to death in the body but made alive by the Spirit..."

This verse I believe explains it all. Jesus died on the cross at Calvay for our sin that we all may live a righteous life. He was crucified for both the righteous and unrighteous in order to bring us to the Father. He died for us and was resurrected by the Holy Ghost.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Romans 8:3 (ESV)

3 For God has done what the law, weakened by the flesh, could not do. By sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh and for sin, he condemned sin in the flesh,

I chose this verse because it gives a synopsis of the Bible…OT and NT

• Pastor Ralph changed the title to Q5. Isaiah 53 in the NT
  • 4 months later...

2 Corinthians 5:20-21 = Therefore, we are ambassadors for Christ, God making his appeal through us. We implore you on behalf of Christ, be reconciled to God. "God made him who had no sin to be sin for us, so that in him we might become righteousness of God."
    God made Christ, who had no sin, to be sin for us, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God. this verse was a very important in all of Scripture for understanding the meaning of the atonement and justification