JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q5. Isaiah 53 in the NT

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Which single New Testament passage best sums up for you the lessons of Isaiah 53? Why did you chose this passage?

:rolleyes:

The passage that sums it up the best for me is Romans 5:19 .. 'For as by one man's disobedience many were made sinners, so by the obedience of one shall many be made righteous.'

I chose this passage because it makes it all so simple to me. I was born and made a sinner through no fault of my own (due to the fall of Adam) and all I have to do is call on the name of Jesus and I am made righteous through none of my own doing. I have told others, 'I am made the righteousness of God' .. and some will say that I am still a sinner and that I am not perfect. What they fail to understand is that 'righteousness' does not mean 'perfect'. Righteousness simply means I am in right standing with God. To be in right standing with God, He must see them as "sinless". When God sees me He now sees no sin in me. I still sin but am no longer considered by God to be a sinner. I hear so many people say " I am a sinner saved by grace". This is not true according to the Word of God. Through Adam, I was destined for hell, but through Jesus I am destined for heaven. It is so simple .. isnt it?

• 4 weeks later...

I read in John where after Jesus had met the woman at the well and she ran into the city to tell of what she saw and heard... the diciples had asked Jesus to eat. He summed it all up for me when He speaks of the food they did not know of.

Jesus lived and was consumed by the Word... lived and was consumed by all He knew to do and to accomplish. He came on a mission to be Victorious... I wondered how He could have fasted for 40 days... He fed upon what Consumes Him; the Word. He lived before us consumed by the Word, and lived in the Flesh consumed by the Word and He now lives consumed by His Word.

The Word is Life, and the Word is Jesus and being that Jesus is also the Father; all that the Father spoke He knew was going to be accomplished and nothing else that this World had to offer Him would replace it. From the Begining Jesus knew the Mission, and How Great Thou Art for priveledging us to Partake in it all.

I desire to be consumed by God... I pray you will too. Love, Sunshine. ;)

• 9 months later...

Q5. Which single New Testament passage best sums up for you the lessons of Isaiah 53?

"The next day John saw Jesus coming toward him and said, 'Look, the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world!'" (John 1:29)

Why did you chose this passage?

This one passage says it all. John tells everyone that Jesus is The Lamb of God that takes away the sins of the world. He is the

• 4 weeks later...

2 Corinthians 5:21 is the passage that sums up for me the lessons of Isaiah 53. I selected this passage because it tells us that God the Son was "stricken by GOD, smitten by Him, and afflicted." (53:4) "Yet it was the LORD's will to crush Him and cause Him to suffer, and though the LORD makes his life a guilt offering, He will see His offspring and prolong His days, and the will of the LORD will prosper in His hand." (53:10) As 2 Corinthians 5:21 reads, GOD made Him who had no sin to be sin for us, so that in Him we might become the righteousness of GOD. He took my place and now His righteousness is applied to my account. Praise His Name!

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Romans 3:24 - 26 is the New Testament scripture that probably most clearly reflects all that Isaiah wrote about the suffering servant. Paul mentions sacrifice (voluntary), atonement(satisfying the need for a consequence for sin) justification (being made righteous in Christ) redemption (returning us to reconciliation and peace).

• 9 months later...

FOR ME , ACTS 8:32-35 IS SO REMARKABLE IN THAT IT QUOTES AN IMPORTANT PART OF ISAIAH 53:8. FOR JESUS TO HAVE SUFFERED THE WAY HE DID; SLAUGHTERED AND PUNISHED ON MY BEHALF SEEMS SO WRONG SINCE HE DIDNT DESERVE IT. YET HIS LIFE WAS TAKEN FROM HIM;HE WAS CUT OFF FROM THE LAND OF THE LIVING;HE TOOK DEATH UPOM HIM SO I NOW HAVE THE GIFT OF ETERNAL LIFE.

IN ACTS 8 , PHILLIP WENT ON TO EXPLAIN TO THE EUNUCH THAT THE ONE WHO WAS HUMILIATED AND DEGRADED WAS JESUS OF NAZARETH.I CHOSE THIS SCRIPTURE BECAUSE I THINK IT SUMS UP ISAIAH 53 REALLY WELL..I'M GRATEFUL FOR HIS SUFFERING AND HIS ENDURANCE TO THE END FOR ME....LOVE YOU JESUS....GOD BLESS. :rolleyes:

• 2 months later...

Q5. Which single New Testament passage best sums up for you the lessons of Isaiah 53? Why did you chose this passage?

1 Peter 2:24

24 Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed.

KJV

For me this scripture embraces Isaiah 53. It sums it up. I chose it because of the words, his own self bare our sins, it personalizes it for me, In His own body he bore my sin.

• 3 weeks later...
Q5. Which single New Testament passage best sums up for you the lessons of Isaiah 53? Why did you chose this passage? List of NT Allusions to Isaiah 53

This prophecy was fulfilled in Christ,( Matthew 12:17 )

( Isaiah 42:1-4 ) Let our soles rely on him, and rejoice in him; then for his sake, the Father will be-pleased with us. The Holy Spirit not only came and rested upon Him, and without measure. He patiently bore the contradictions of sinners.

His Kingdom is spiritual; he not to appear with earthly honours. He is tender to those oppressed with doubts and fears, as a bruised reed;those who are as smoking flax, as the wick of a lamp newly lighted, which is ready to go out again. He will not dispise them, nor lay upon them more work or suffering than they can bear. ( PRAISE YOU JESUS OH SUCH LOVE.) :wub:

• 2 weeks later...

Q5. Which single New Testament passage best sums up for you the lessons of Isaiah 53? Why did you chose this passage?

Acts 8:32-33 "He was led as a sheep to the slaughter. And as a lamb is silent before the shearers, he did not open his mouth. He was humiliated and received no justice. . . "

That says it all. I knew that "Jesus died for my sins" but these lessons have shown me just what that really means.

• 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Romans 10:16-21 , for me sums up the lessons of Isaiah 53. This was a letter of Apostle Paul to the Romans gentiles Brethren , he was encouraging them to go on with their faith in Christ , since Salvation was for everyone who accepted and believed in the Lord Jesus Christ.

• 6 months later...

Q5. Which single New Testament passage best sums up for you the lessons of Isaiah 53?

"For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit:"
1 Peter 3:18 (KJV)

Why did you chose this passage? List of NT Allusions to Isaiah 53.

This verse lends references to the major points in Isaiah 53.

The allusions to Isaiah 53 are:

Its referenced to Christ as bearing our sins - substitutionary atonement ("...suffered for sins...")

Him receiving the punishment that we deserved ("...the just for the unjust...")

Him doing so voluntarily "...being put to death ...")

That we be cleansed and justified ("...that he might bring us to God...")

God having vindicated and raised him from the dead ("...being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit:").

• 7 months later...

Q5. Which single New Testament passage best sums up for you the lessons of Isaiah 53? Why did you chose this passage? (Select from Matt. 26:38-42; Luke 22:37; John 1:29; Romans 3:24-26; 2 Cor 5:20-21; 1 Peter 2:24-25; 1 Peter 3:18; Philippians 2:5-11 -- or any other passage you can think of.)

Luke 22:37 best sums up this lesson for me. "It is written: 'And he was numbered with the transgressors' and I tell you that this must be fulfilled in me. Yes, what is written about me is reaching its fulfillment."

Jesus directs us to the prophetic scriptures (not just Isa. 53:12), but all other scriptures that apply to the Messiah.

• 3 months later...

I would have to say Luke 22:37. Jesus had already told the disciples what was to come yet they didn't understand. Here Jesus make it quite clear that He has to fulfill the scriptures.

Luk 22:37 For I say unto you, that this that is written must yet be accomplished in me, And he was reckoned among the transgressors: for the things concerning me have an end. (KJV)

• 2 months later...

Phil 2:5-11 Discribes in such a poignant way the contrast of Jesus being in very nature God, humbled himself took on the form of a man and then went to the cross in full obediende to His father. These verses are so awe inspiring! Jesus who was with God in the beginning - left His gory and majesty and is born as a man - and in obedience He suffers and goes to the cross - resolute - so we can be reconciled to God. And our attitude the writer says should be that of Christ Jesus who being in very nature God... humbled himself.... I always go back to these verses because they make me stop and think and 'ponder' and I stand in awe...

• 1 month later...

1 Peter3:18. Christ Died for sins once and for all,The rightous and the unrighteous. he was put to death in the body, and made alive by the spirit.

Jesus Died for all of us. He died for me, he had to endure all that pain the jeering, the humiliation, so that my sins would be forgiven. so that I could live, and have eternal life. Oh what a sacrifice.

• 11 months later...
Q5. Which single New Testament passage best sums up for you the lessons of Isaiah 53? Why did you chose this passage? List of NT Allusions to Isaiah 53

I like both the I Peter 2:24-25 and Philippian 2:5-11 passages. In both passages it is very clear that Jesus Christ, THE Messiah, took on the role of sacrifice for all mankind. It wasn't some deluded person who was crucified because He was causing revolution against the Romans, or trying to set up an earthly kingdom. He KNEW what was to come (still does, for that matter!) and CHOSE to continue down that path to the cross. He could have stopped any and all of it at any time, but He loves us so much that He did not. What greater love is there than this?

• 1 month later...

It is difficult for me to choose one passage, but, as I read Philippians 2, I see how important obedience is to God, obedience is "faith in action." I am thankful to Yeshua, for being that obedient servant unto God, for me.

My tongue does confess that Yeshua is Lord, to the glory of God. It is because of this, that I must never take lightly God

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

my best passage is from 1peter"

the savior agony was not brought on by his own sins,for he had done.it was for our sins he was nailed to the cross.because he has suffered for our sins once for all,we should neber allow ourselfs to get into the postions where we have to suffer for them.the fact that he died for them should cause us to die to them.and yet,it is not simply a matter of negative goodness:we should not only die to sin but live to righteousness.

that my passage i like cause it reminds me that i have a god who loves me and he sent his only son to die for our sins,that is alot of meaning to me.

• 2 weeks later...