JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. (Ephesians 6:5-8)

What are the characteristics called for in a truly Christian employee, according to Ephesians 6:5-8?

How can these attitudes help us in difficult work situations?

A truly Christian employee must be obedient, remembering that the employer has jurisdiction as far as physical or mental work is concerned, but he cannot dictate in spiritual matters. Employees should be respectful; not offending the Lord and the employer. They should be conscientious, trying to deliver a full day

Ephesians 6:5-8 What are the characteristics called for in a truly Christian employee, according to Ephesians 6:5-8?

Employees should show obedience in the form of respect, sincerity of heart (attitude), and as servants of Christ.

How can these attitudes help us in difficult work situations?

The workplace, at home, or anywhere for that matter is the place to let your light shine in the service of God. We are asked to serve in this world for the glory of God and that is our purpose at work. We are ephemeral; we are dust; we are to "obey our earthly masters" just as we would obey Christ. This is only a problem when employers ask us to break God's law. We must be courageous.

• 9 months later...

Q3. (Ephesians 6:5-8) What are the characteristics called for in a truly Christian employee, according to Ephesians 6:5-8? How can these attitudes help us in difficult work situations?

To be obedient, loyal, devoted, and to do your job without griping and work as you were working for Christ. Just helps us realize we are working for the greater good which is Christ glorified!

Q3. (Ephesians 6:5-8) What are the characteristics called for in a truly Christian employee, according to Ephesians 6:5-8? How can these attitudes help us in difficult work situations?

To be obedient, loyal, devoted, and to do your job without griping and work as you were working for Christ. Just helps us realize we are working for the greater good which is Christ glorified!

• 4 months later...

1. What are the characteristics called for in a truly Christian employee, according to Ephesians 6:5-8

The characteristics called for is to do a good job for your employer because Jesus is our ultimate employer or boss and a Christian is to always do their best. A true Christian is a representative of God and a true Christian will do the right thing no matter if the boss is there or not becasue see God is our boss (leader) and he is always looking.

This attitudes can help us in difficult work situations because we will consult Jesus first before making a decision. We are to carry Jesus with us in everything that we do.

• 7 months later...

According to Ephesians 6:5-8 Christian employees should possess obedience, respect, faithfulness, integrity, sincerity of heart, and work with enthusiasm.

These attitudes will help us in difficult work situations "as if you were serving the Lord, not men."

According to Ephesians 6:5-8 Christian employees should possess obedience, respect, faithfulness, integrity, sincerity of heart, and work with enthusiasm.

These attitudes will help us in difficult work situations "as if you were serving the Lord, not men.

• 2 weeks later...

3a)Employees should do all tasks they are asked as if doing so to the lord,e.g. not just doing the bare minimum in job description but to have standards of work respecting others, showing care, joy in their work, showing excellence in all we do,showing integrity as a good witness for Christ, not to impress others.

b)In difficult work situations, if asked to do something wrong,or abused etc we can leave &hopefully find another job. Some issues are not worth dying for e.g. If pay is low,but we are working for the lord, it’s our attitude our true reward that is key. :D

• 1 year later...

I think that the characteristics called for a truly Christian employee is to do the work that is required and give the employer your best work effort. We are to do it as if we were doing it for the Lord. If we are doing it for the Lord then any work situations just vanish because we are not doing it for the employer but for the Lord. If we keep that in mind then we can be a happy employee.

• 1 year later...

Characteristics for a truly good Christian employee are to be trust worthy, not an eye please'er, a reliable employee, obedient, respectful and doing the work as if doing it for the Lord.

In difficult work situations an employer will know as a good Christian will be a reliable employee applicable of getting the job done correctly and quick.      

• 1 year later...

Christian employees should have their heart and soul into their work. They should be able to take pride in all that they do. they should be honest in all of their actions. Once we realize that all of our actions are to bring honor to the Lord not just our employers, we can handle things with love and understanding. We can always keep in mind that everything we do needs to be pleasing to the Lord. Difficult situations will seem to lessen and lessen. We will be more open minded to ways to handle every situation that comes up. We will not act irrationally.

• 2 years later...
On 9/15/2006 at 1:57 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

To be loyal, honest, trust worthy.

Your employer will trust you and know he can  promote with confidence.

• Pastor Ralph changed the title to Q56. Employees
  • 2 months later...

Q56. (Ephesians 6:5-8) What are the characteristics called for in a truly Christian employee, according to Ephesians 6:5-8? How can these attitudes help us in difficult work situations? 
A truly Christian employee must be obedient, remembering that the employer has jurisdiction as far as physical or mental work is concerned, but he cannot dictate in spiritual matters. Employees should be respectful; not offending the Lord and the employer. They should be conscientious, trying to deliver a full day’s work, every day. Next, their work should be as to Christ, all that is done, should be done as to Him - with a view to pleasing and honouring Him and to attracting others to Him. The most menial and commonplace tasks in life are ennobled and dignified when they are done for the glory of God. They should also always be diligent, not only when the employer is looking. As servants of Christ, they should be doing the will of God from the heart, that is, with a sincere desire to please Him. Then, too, they should do their work cheerfully and willingly, not with an outward display of compliance while they are inwardly seething with resentment. In difficult work situations, where the employer is overbearing, abusive, or unreasonable, their work can still be done as to the Lord and not to men. It is this type of supernatural behaviour that speaks the loudest in the kind of world in which we live. A great incentive to do all as if to Christ is the assurance that He will reward every such good work. The Lord notes all the jobs, pleasant or disagreeable, that are done for Him, and He will reward each worker. 

Q56. (Ephesians 6:5-8) What are the characteristics called for in a truly Christian employee, according to Ephesians 6:5-8? How can these attitudes help us in difficult work situations?

We should work for our employers as if unto the Lord. That means working in obedience, diligently, faithfully, whole heartedly; with integrity etc. whether he is there or not. Any employee found to work faithfully like this is likely going to retain his job in hard job situations.

True characteristics of true Christian employee would be practicing integrity which is very important. A good godly employer will always appreciate their employees being honest. Even employers that may not necessary be godly but good in a sense will still appreciate a honest employee that they can trust. In difficult situations it is best to serve the employer anyway as long as they are not asking you to do anything against what God's word says and as long as The Lord hasn't told you to leave and he asked you to remain there. Your Godly influence may change that not Christian employer for the better. Or an employer that may be Christian but needs some better influences. Sometimes God place us in difficult situations to try to help others whether they change or not.

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder how God instructs the self-employed? Perhaps what Pastor Ralph listed are attitudes we must display toward clients, that is, being faithful and hardworking for their benefit, giving them our best and going beyond contractual expectations.

All work is of God whether unnoticed and solitary or with other people. It's His work. His money. His talents. His praise.

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/15/2006 at 1:57 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Obey, respect and serve your employer, wholeheeartedly, as you were serving the Lord.  Not only when you are being watched but always.

If we have these attitudes things will go well and we will be appreciated for our service.

• 1 month later...

A Christain employee is to be diligent, no backbiting, and not engaging in negative conversations about their supervisors.   I had to discontinue attending Labor union meetings due to the incessant negative language.  I returned my Union card eventually.

The Gospel chorus "we are standing on holy ground" comes to mind.  During my nite shift hours, I would listen to Christain sermons and hymns while diligently doing my job as fraud analyst.  Despite the enormous challenges, I sanctified my hours at work.  A heart determined to do an outstanding job was part of me.   Instead of spending time in idle conversations, I was on the "hot seat" to do what I was paid to do.

Humility is so important as well.  As a Christian, the fruits of the Holy Spirit are cultivated.   God uses uncomfortable situations to sanctify us.   I have repented of all the times of my impatience and anger.

A Christain employee is to be diligent, no backbiting, and not engaging in negative conversations about their supervisors.   I had to discontinue attending Labor union meetings due to the incessant negative language.  I returned my Union card eventually.

The Gospel chorus "we are standing on holy ground" comes to mind.  During my nite shift hours, I would listen to Christain sermons and hymns while diligently doing my job as fraud analyst.  Despite the enormous challenges, I sanctified my hours at work.  A heart determined to do an outstanding job was part of me.   Instead of spending time in idle conversations, I was on the "hot seat" to do what I was paid to do.

Humility is so important as well.  As a Christian, the fruits of the Holy Spirit are cultivated.   God uses uncomfortable situations to sanctify us.   I have repented of all the times of my impatience and anger.

• 2 weeks later...