JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

What aspect of the Christian life does it help explain?

It helps to explain how important it is for those who have been redeemed, have been set free, to devote themselves to the one who set them free.

Col 3:10-17 Each of you is now a new person. You are becoming more and more like your Creator, and you will understand him better. It doesn't matter if you are a Greek or a Jew, or if you are circumcised or not. You may even be a barbarian or a Scythian, and you may be a slave or a free person. Yet Christ is all that matters, and he lives in all of us.

God loves you and has chosen you as his own special people. So be gentle, kind, humble, meek, and patient. Love is more important than anything else. It is what ties everything completely together.

Each one of you is part of the body of Christ, and you were chosen to live together in peace. So let the peace that comes from Christ control your thoughts. And be grateful. <b>Whatever you say or do should be done in the name of the Lord Jesus, as you give thanks to God the Father because of him.

Hi Delivered

Colossian 3:1-17 is my chosen life passage. I read it every day and hope to commit it to memory. Thanks for posting it here. It is perfect for this topic.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q1. In the New Testament world, what class of humans were freed by payment of a redemption price or a ransom? Why do you think that Jesus, Peter, and Paul used this analogy in this week's theme verses. What about the Christian life does it help explain? Exposition

The lower class working people who couldn't pay their debts were often taken in slavery till family or friend could pay their debt and redeem them. People taken in wars were often made work as slaves and could only be redeemed by another war where the winner freed them from being slaves. Jesus is our redeemer He paid our sin debt that we have not way of paying or anyone else who would be able to pay it for us. The christian life is a living explanation of redemption the reason to live for Christ is that He is our saviour who died for us and paid the debt that we can't pay.

Slaves/I think that the analogy of slavery-of one man owning another-is good for Bible authors to give us as an example of the fact we are in slavery to our sin. We are owned by that sin, controled by the sin and not given over to freedom from it until we accept the freedom through Jesus and the sacrifice He made for us.

Being a slave can be bad and can be good. Slave to evel, this takes time and money. Slave to Christ is easy if bad comes your way then with Christ Love and The Holy sperit with you. It only makes you fill a sadeness tward the person who is lost. Christ redeemed us from slavery to sin, but i am a slave to Christ. He protects us from needless problems, inturn we Love Him that Loves us. What Sin did He not die for? All sin, if you can think it up it was forgiven. there is no added sin in this world that was first placed hear from the deciver. God loves us so much He put this bible in our hands and Christ to teach us. I am nothing with out Christ. This is why I excpted Jesus as my Lord, His deth set me free, when put all my fath in Him. No longer slave to sin. Yes i execpt all that comes my way, what moor could any person do being freed from all sin. If put to die fine i will be home. Seeing a person come to Jesus is a selabration in Heven.

Old worlds slavery was hard on people but when freedom came it was worth it, the freedom chris gives us is the best.

We, Christians were freed by payment of a redemption price, or redeemed.

Peter is telling us that we were redeemed by someone so important, that he was umblemished and His redeemption is not to be compared to perishable things. He was a human sacrifice. Paul tells us that our body is the temple of the Holy Spirit, because Christ Himself died for us we have to be willing to live a life that honors Him, because we are not our own. We have been brought with a price.

This explains that we as God's people have been set free to serve Him.

Q1 In the NT, the class of humans who were freed were the slaves and the Israelites. They

were bondage to slavery since their forefather's time. Now Jesus the promised

Messiah has come to set them.

Hearing their cries, God sent His Son to be the sacrificial lamb to come and ransom

them of their bondage. Being stubborn people, the Jews were urged to repent of their

sins and to trust that the redeemer will set them free.

It explains that God is with them and in them and they should heed the prompting of

the Holy Spirit and acknowledge that God is their father and they are His sons.

Q1. In the New Testament world, what class of humans were freed by payment of a redemption price or a ransom? Why do you think that Jesus, Peter, and Paul used this analogy in this week's theme verses. What about the Christian life does it help explain? Exposition

In the New Testament world, slaves were freed by payment of a redemption or a ransom. They used this analogy because all human beings are slaves to the sin of this world and must be freed from it and its consequences. As Christians, we are freed from slavery to sin; death as a consequence of sin; been forgiven our sins in Jesus' sacrifice on the cross; and have gained eternal life in Jesus Christ. All of this because Jesus ransomed Himself on the cross for the human race. Christians or believers in Christ acknowledge Jesus' sacrifice and way. Paul wrote: "For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life through Christ Jesus our Lord." Romans 6:23 (NLT).

Q1. In the New Testament world, what class of humans were freed by payment of a redemption price or a ransom?

Those who were held captive as slaves.

Why do you think that Jesus, Peter, and Paul used this analogy in this week's theme verses?

Slaves were the property of the one who owned them and were unable to gain freedom except through death or being purchased and given freedom by a benevolent benefactor, but this was highly unusual. This was a fitting analogy to explain the redemption of the fallen human race through the blood of the lamb of God, Jesus Christ. (Every human being is born into "slavery" to sin through the lineage of Adam, whose fallen nature we all possess). The only One who could redeem us from that bondage had to be holy, without an iota of sin. A benevolent, loving God, did so, and if one chooses to be set free, the chains of our former owner, Satan, fall to the ground, and we then belong to our God who paid the price of His beloved Son's blood for us.

What about the Christian life does it help explain? Exposition

What comes to mind, is being born again. I was dead in my sin without the ability to gain freedom from bondage and death. When I chose to receive His precious gift, I received eternal life, which began at that moment, and the chains of enslavement and death were broken. I have a new owner, One Who loves me, has forgiven me, wants what's best for me, never leaves me, and is a perfect Father.

Slaves were freed by a redemption price of some amount of silver or gold. The human race as a whole is enslaved by sin and freedom from sin cannot be purchased by silver or gold. Only the blood of Jesus Christ can atone for the sin of each human being.

• 3 months later...

In the New Testament, the class of people freed by a redemption price, were slaves.

I think Jesus, Peter and Paul used this analogy to help us understand that a people with no hope of freedom, could receive freedom through Christ. Slaves were bound for life. The analogy for Christians would be that we are bound to sin and death, until the ransom for our souls was paid. Through Jesus, we break the fetters of sin, we are no longer bound and chained. Our lives are given freely to Christ and through Him we have our freedom to live.

• 3 weeks later...

Q1. In the New Testament world, what class of humans were freed by payment of a redemption price or a ransom? Why do you think that Jesus, Peter, and Paul used this analogy in this week's theme verses. What about the Christian life does it help explain?

In the New Testament world, payment in the form of ranson or of a redemption price was used to free the people bonded by slavery and forced labor.

These were the people who were illiterate, unlike the Jews or the Romans, unlike their Masters. These people were also less likely to have opportunities to go to the temples or to hear the Word of God read by the temple leaders. When Jesus and His apostles went around, they not only shared the gospel with the educated but also with the less priviledged and less educated. By using the analogy of redemption, these commoners would be able to associate more with the gospel and message preached. They would also be drawn to listen.

Actually, in today's world, although slavery is almost abolished, redemption is also very applicable. Firstly, we have grown wealthy and the world has grow into a "money" world. Everything has to be paid a price. So for people looking for salvation, some people may believe "buying" their way into heaven. By doing more good deeds, or donating more money to the charity or churches.

• 6 months later...
[/b]01:57 AM' timestamp='1045976279' post='1296']

Q1. In the New Testament world, what class of humans were freed by payment of a redemption price or a ransom? The slaves were redeemed.

Why do you think that Jesus, Peter, and Paul used this analogy in this week's theme verses. In a spiritual sense we are all slaves --- slaves to sin. We are redeemed or bought at a great price.

What about the Christian life does it help explain? Spiritually we belong to one of two worlds. We are born as sinners and belong to the enemy. Add to that our sins and we are doomed. Then Christ pays the great cost on the cross to redeem us. Jesus "buys" us back (originally we are his by creation) and then we are his --- part of his world. Exposition

• 1 month later...

Q1. In the New Testament world, what class of humans were freed by payment of a redemption[/b] price or a ransom? Those who believed; without regard for class.

Why do you think that Jesus, Peter, and Paul used this analogy in this week's theme verses. To demonstrate that the price paid could not be replicated. "For you know that it was not with perishable things such as silver or gold that you were redeemed from the empty way of life handed down to you from your forefathers, but with the precious blood of Christ, a lamb without blemish or defect." (1 Peter 1:18-19)

What about the Christian life does it help explain? It is not what is visible but what is known, believed, and acted upon.

Exposition

In the New Testament world, the class of humans that were freed by payment of a redemption price or a ransom is referring to us human beings who were under the slavery of sin.

Jesus, Peter, and Paul used this analogy of slavery and ransom in this week's theme verse to remind us all that we were all under condemnation but not anymore because Jesus bought us back from slavery. We are no longer enslaved to sin.

The Christian life helps to constantly remind us that we have been redeemed/ransom from slavery and we have been redeemed from the curse of the law.

We are the class of humans that were freed by payment of a redemption price or a ransom.

Jesus, Peter, and Paul used this analogy in this week's theme verses to remind us all of the price Jesus paid for our sins.

The Christian life does help to explain in details how much Jesus loves us to pay for our sins.

Slaves.

Because it is a good analogy for the unregenerate human condition. Those who are not justified by faith in Christ are slaves to sin.

It explains that we belong to the world and to Satan when we are slaves to sin. We are slaves to all our carnal instincts and desires but we do not belong to God. Jesus purchases us with His blood. He pays the price to redeem us, and then we belong to Him. To take it one step further, as in Leviticus, every seventh year, the sabbath year, slaves were to be set free. This is what Jesus does for us. He redeems us from slavery to sin and sets us free from it.

In the old testament time, slaves were the class of people that were freed by payment of a ransome.

Slavery was owning and using humans for forced labour. This was a terrible situation. Jesus, Paul and Peter used the terms slavery and ransom to show show the ugliness of being slaves to sin and the good news that Christ has paid a price to set us free from such ugly state captivity.

In the New Testament world, what class of humans were freed by payment of a redemption price or a ransom? Why do you think that Jesus, Peter, and Paul used this analogy in this week's theme verses. What about the Christian life does it help explain?

The people that were freed by payment or redemption were slaves. I think this analogy was used because we were like slaves...slaves to our sin, to our old way of thinking, to feeling that we could handle things by our "religion"...but then Christ came to free us of that bondage....not with a payment of money....but with a payment of His blood....with each nail....I was set free to be made over in His likeness.

• 1 month later...

Q1.

In the New Testament world, what class of humans were freed by payment of a redemption price or a ransom?

Slaves were the class of humans freed by payment of a redemption price or by a ransom.

Why do you think that Jesus, Peter, and Paul used this analogy in this week's theme verses.

We were all slaves to sin and have been rescued by the payment of an infinite ransom. That is the precious blood of Jesus

• 1 month later...

1)In the New Testament world, what class of humans were freed by payment of a redemption price or a ransom?

We all are Slaves to the Bondage and penalty of Sin, dead in trespasses and sins.

2)Why do you think that Jesus, Peter, and Paul used this analogy in this week's theme verses?

Through Christ Jesus we are redeemed, he is the ransom by his Blood and sacrifice on Calvary cross (The Son died for Sin). We were on a course for hell and destruction But God through his Son provided the price of violating his Holiness and satisfying His righteous Judgment showing forth His Love.

3)What aspect of the Christian life does it help explain?

This explains our coming Out of the bondage and penalty of Sin and becoming free slaves or Servant-sons of God. Free from the guilt and condemnation of the Devil and Bought /brought to the Liberty of an Intimate Love fellowshipping Faith Relationship with God via Holy Ghost in Jesus name. The Devil was our Master now Jesus is our Master but Jesus yoke is easy and his burden is light.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Everyone :)

In the New Testament world, what classes of human were freed by payment of a redemption price or a ransom?

During the lifetime of Jesus, most of the world He knew and traveled was ruled by the Romans. I am not a historian by ANY means, but I believe all of these lands came to be under Roman rule because of its aggressive acquisitiveness. The people in these conquered lands than became the slave property of the Romans.

Although these conquered peoples could fight to win back their sovereignty as nations, the classes of people freed by payment of a ransom or redemption price, were more likely the common poor who had fallen on hard times. For example a man whose crop had failed and who couldn