JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Liberal Christian Scholars and the Resurrection

Q1. What do you think motivates liberal Christian scholars to explain away the bodily resurrection of Jesus Christ? Why would they claim that it is unhistorical more than some other event in the first century?

Ans. Liberal Christians define as having an undogmatic method of understanding God through the use of scripture by applying the same modern hermeneutics used to understand any ancient writings. The reason for their understanding is because they lack faith. "For who has known the mind of the Lord that he may instruct him?" But we have the mind of Christ.” Only those who know Him personally have faith to accept the things not seen

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Liberal Christians Scholars explain away the bodily resurrection of Christ because it cannot be proved scientically or historcally. But resurrection of the Lord Jesus Christ is not a mere natural thing but a divine preordained spiritual event.

• 5 months later...

First of all, I have a hard time with liberal Christian scholars claiming to be Christians. There is no way that I can believe they are Christians, considering the word Christian is those who believe in Jesus Christ who died for our sins, then was raised from the dead. You can't explain away the bodily resurrection of Jesus Christ. It's like this, you either believe it don't believe. There is no middle. It's unhistorical to them simply because they are really not Christians at all. They can't believe that He was raised from the dead because they are looking at Christ as just being a regular man. Christ is the only begotten Son of the most high God.

First of all, I have a hard time with liberal Christian scholars claiming to be Christians. There is no way that I can believe they are Christians, considering the word Christian is those who believe in Jesus Christ who died for our sins, then was raised from the dead. You can't explain away the bodily resurrection of Jesus Christ. It's like this, you either believe it don't believe. There is no middle. It's unhistorical to them simply because they are really not Christians at all. They can't believe that He was raised from the dead because they are looking at Christ as just being a regular man. Christ is the only begotten Son of the most high God.

• 4 months later...

Christian scholars, I wonder if they are in fact Christian.  We believe in the Virgin Birth, the resurrection of the body and the life everlasting.  One cannot be a Christian if they do not believe in this.  Scientists try to disprove the resurrection because they Can Not Prove it.  Since the resurrection happened one time they have nothing to compare it with.  One cannot study something that occurred one time.  They also feel there is no evidence of this ever happening.  Faith, we believe by faith.

• 1 year later...

I feel that  liberal Christian Scholars are always looking for new ways to interpret the bible. They are more concerned with making the bible a science book nore than a living history book. They are out for the glory that would get for rediscovering the truth twisted in their own way. They need to prove things in a tangeble scientific way otherwise they cannot get a grasp on the concept personally. These are people who lack real faith. They can prove other things but they cannot prove this.

• 4 weeks later...

What do you think motivates liberal Christian scholars to explain away the bodily resurrection of Jesus Christ? My initial thought is the fact they feel “academia” is above reproach. Their “highly educated” view becomes the zenith in rational thought. Where I get confused is if they have such faith and conviction that their view is unerring; how can they give no credence to our innate knowledge which is not learned through either sense experience or intuition and deduction. It is just part of our nature. God provided us with it at creation.

Why would they claim that it is unhistorical more than some other event in the first century? Perhaps again to subjugate the masses, a argumentum ad verecundiam, the formal term for an argument using respect for institutions and authority in an attempt to strengthen their argument and provide an illusion of proof.  It is one of many errors of logical fallacies that can be made in argumentation.

• 1 year later...

They feel that they have to explain away the bodily resurrection of Jesus because their belief system won’t accept something that they can’t explain. They would try to claim that it is unhistorical more than some other events in the first century because that was the most important thing that has ever happen. If they can explain that away then they can act any way that they want to and still claim to be religious.

• 11 months later...

Not sure why so many people focus on the resurrection instead of believing by faith.The bible is based on believing that God wrote it and to trust it.

I think to much time spent on trying to discredit the bible.

Not sure why so many people focus on the resurrection instead of believing by faith.The bible is based on believing that God wrote it and to trust it.

I think to much time spent on trying to discredit the bible.I personally think scholars are so busy digging up things to discredit the truth that they are blinded.

• 2 years later...

Q1. What do you think motivates liberal Christian scholars to explain away the bodily resurrection of Jesus Christ? Why would they claim that it is unhistorical more than some other event in the first century?

A. One of their their claim is that Christ resurrection cannot be proved scientifically. 

They also claim that the resurrection of Christ cannot be explained historically. Everything about Christ including the resurrection is historic as it tells of His story, God's intervention in the history of man

• 2 years later...

Because human beings have a hard time believing in things that cannot be explained with the physical senses. Alot of people like to believe in science and science alone. I love science it's very cool but everything can't be explained with science. There are supernatural things that has happened and that are still happening that cannot be explained with science. Also the liberal Christian scholar has narrowed their mind. It can be hard for someone to believe for the impossible.

• 11 months later...

It requires faith and belief to accept the resurrection and its easier to just negate it.  Also they get support and attention when they dispute  the resurrection accounts.  Christians?  As a christian I accept through my faith that Jesus died, was buried, was resurrected, and ascended  into  heaven to be at the right hand of God.  Amen.  .  

• 11 months later...

Q1. What do you think motivates liberal Christian scholars to explain away the bodily resurrection of Jesus Christ?

ANSWER: Since liberal theologians retained the presupposition against the possibility of miracles a historical resurrection was a priori simply out of the question for them. The things that motivates liberal Christian scholars to explain away the bodily resurrection of Jesus Christ, is that the crucified body of Jesus was never miraculously raised to a new and glorious life. They maintain that the true sense of “resurrection” is something more “spiritual” than that which Catholics have traditionally accepted. People do not believe in the resurrected Jesus because they weigh the evidence and arrived at a logical conclusion.

Why would they claim that it is unhistorical more than some other event in the first century?

ANSWER: With liberal Christian scholars, in addition to their intellectual pride, the primary hurdle to overcome is philosophical. To them, Jesus' resurrection can't be examined with the normal tools of historical inquiry because it is:

• Unrepeatable. It is a one-of-a-kind event that can't be studied
  • Incomparable. We have no analogies to which to compare it.
  • Lacks credible evidence. This isn't actually true, but these scholars often explain away or neglect the strong evidence that we do have.

• 1 month later...
On 2/28/2007 at 11:52 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

As someone said in a previous comment, in this context, using the term “Christian scholars” to describe such people seems to be an oxymoron. The resurrection of Christ is a core tenet of the Christian faith. If he didn’t have a bodily resurrection, why believe in him? He would be just another man. And Christianity would be just another religion. I think some people struggle to grasp things of the supernatural because it is often difficult to verify them with natural evidence (hence the term supernatural). We live in a time when science trumps everything. If it cannot be explained with scientific evidence then it is marked as not true. Science has become many people’s God and when things don’t fit within their carefully constructed way of thinking, it is often rejected.