JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Liberal Christian Scholars and the Resurrection

Q1. What do you think motivates liberal Christian scholars to explain away the bodily resurrection of Jesus Christ? Why would they claim that it is unhistorical more than some other event in the first century?

The motivates liberal Christian scholars to explain away the bodily resurrection of Jesus Christ are to convince people with the scientific reasons of their unbelief, to make unbelief seem respectable, and to draw other people to join them.

They would claim that it is unhistorical more than some other event in the first century, because it cannot be demonstrated and written within the post-Enlightenment world view or the Western worldview that reject miracles or events that cannot be explained by science or in naturalistic terms

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since Jesus' resurrection can't be examined within the normal means of historical inquiry, it probably didn't happen.

Also intellectual pride prevents many liberal Christian scholars from accepting the resurrection as fact.

The reason they claim the resurrection is unhistorical more than any other event in the 1st century is 1) it is a one of a kind event that can't be studied, and 2) they have no analogies to compare it to.

Q1. What do you think motivates liberal Christian scholars to explain away the bodily resurrection of Jesus Christ? Why would they claim that it is unhistorical more than some other event in the first century?

Because it was unrepeatable, it was incomparable and that it lacks credible evidence. the problem is that the resurrection can't be exp;ained in naturalistic terms.

Jesus resurrection is the main focus for all Christians. It real happened and if it where not true the Gospel could not be preached up to now.

• 3 weeks later...

Q1. What do you think motivates liberal Christian scholars to explain away the bodily resurrection of Jesus Christ?

Liberal Scholars are motivated to explain away the bodily resurrection of Jesus Christ because they refuse to give recognition to God for his power to resurrect the dead.

Why would they claim that it is unhistorical more than some other event in the first century?

They would claim that it is unhistorical more than some other event in the first century because they lack an understanding of what took place and are unable to explain just what happened. Other events that happened in the first century may be within their ability to comprehend.

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

Q1. What do you think motivates liberal “Christian” scholars to explain away the bodily resurrection of Jesus Christ? Why would they claim that it is unhistorical more than some other event in the first century?

http://www.joyfulheart.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=576

I would have thought that the author would have put quotation marks around the word Christian in naming these so-called scholars because there is absolutely nothing in them that is truly Christian! They don’t believe in the true Jesus Christ of His resurrection or the miracles He performed on the earth so they are still walking in darkness and unbelief; and that is exactly what their whole philosophy or world-view is based upon are the lies of the father of darkness, Satan. They chose to believe lies and to live in darkness rather then to believe the truth and to live in the Light of the Scriptures; and someday they will have to answer to the real and living Savior God for their unbelief and lies, unless, of course, they repent from their unbelief and turn to the true, living, and resurrected Lord Jesus Christ and believe and trust in Him as truly their Lord and Savior. These people remind me of what the Apostle John said so long ago in his 1st letter: “They went out from us, but they were not of us; for if they had been of us, they would have continued with us; but they went out that they might be made manifest, that none of them were of us.” (1 John 2:19). What an adequately precise description of these so-called scholars of today who claim to be “Christian” but don’t believe in the true and living Lord Jesus Christ!

• 1 year later...

Well, I have a masters degree for biology, so I can call myself a scholar.

In a dead body, physiology stops, organs get damaged, bacteria and maggots start breaking it down.

Scientifically spoken, dead bodies don't resurrect.

Because they can't prove it or tell how it could have been possible, they just say it isn't true.

I don't agree with the other persons on this forum that they are no christians.

They do believe that Jesus came in the flesh, that He died to take our sins away - they just have a false image of His resurrection.

• 1 month later...

As for motivation, well-- what motivates any of us to adopt the beliefs that we have, other than to sincerely represent and articulate the truth as we know it? I imagine that many a "liberal scholar" adopts his or her skeptical views rather wistfully; sure, they would love to believe that Jesus rose from the dead, but this is just not the conclusion at which they have arrived.

For an analogy, imagine being asked "what motivates you to reject the belief that God always rewards adequate faith with bodily healing and blessings of wealth?" As you suggest a counterexample to defend your critical view, the questioner comes at you with "Don't you believe that God heals? Don't you believe in prayer? You have no idea how good God is! You just don't get it, and you'll never get it, because you lack faith!"

Faith is not the same thing as credulity, and having more beliefs, or more "counterintuitive" beliefs does not amount to being a more faithful follower of Jesus Christ.

Having said all this, just because the liberal scholars are sincere, does not mean that they are right. I'm following this study precisely because I hope they are wrong, but at the same time, I envy the disciple Thomas's opportunity to see the evidence for himself!

• 1 month later...

They are afraid to defend their belief out of only faith. They have a world view that they must have some proof. They claim it is unhistorical because they have no oral proof or witness for it and can not find any other repeating of the event so they try and disclaim it us they don't have to answer to the worldly view.

Q1.

What do you think motivates liberal Christian scholars to explain away the bodily resurrection of Jesus Christ?

Why would they claim that it is unhistorical more than some other event in the first century?

The minds of these liberal Christian scholars are darkened because they have no personal relationship with our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. There is no ability to understand Bible truth, so they are unable to comprehend Spiritual Truths. They would rather rely on their so called

Number one-they don't believe the Word of God. Number two-they can't understand or comprehend a physical body being brought back to life with their limited knowledge.

Because there isn't enough history to back it up. There are some things written about in the Bible that we take on blind faith-people wrote about it, through the Holy Spirit's guidance. We trust that it's the truth.

I believe that one of the main motives to explain away the bodily resurrection of Jesus is that if you accept this which is beyond anything that has ever happened then you have to accept the Bible and everything that it contains. This would mean the loss of power of religion. Sound familiar. The very reason that the Jews would not accept Christ as being the Son of God in the beginning. I believe that they use the idea that it was all a high schemed action by the followers of Christ.

• 2 weeks later...

I CAN ONLY ANSWER THIS QUESTION THIS WAY. THE LIBERAL SCHOLAR DO NOT BELIVE IN OUR

LORD JESUS CHRIST. THEY NEED TO READ THE BIBLE WITH FAITH WITHOUT FAITH EVERYTHING IS

UNBELIVEABLE. I COULD SIT HEAR ALL DAY AND PUT IN PEOPLE JESUS RESURRECTED,MIRACLE

HE PERFORM BUT AN UNBELIVER WOULD NO BELIVE.

• 2 weeks later...

A1. The ability to explain away the bodily resurrection of Jesus Christ is an indication of the inability to believe the Lord Jesus Christ is, in fact, who He says in his Word, He is. The two are contradictions. They just do not mix. If you can explain away the bodily resurrection of Jesus Christ, you cannot believe in Jesus Christ, His Word, or the Father God almighty Himself. The belief that God sent His son Jesus Christ to earth specifically to die, be buried and resurrected for the remission of sin, is the cornerstone of Christianity. If you don

• 3 weeks later...

Some people have a hard time with faith, and to believe that Jesus did raise form the dead requires just that. All things that God does for us requires a certian amout of faith, and I believe these people have lost that. Instead of getting upset with them we should pray for them, that they can find want they have allowed others to take.

• 11 months later...

Liberal Christian scholars explain away the bodily resurrection of Jesus Christ because they think the bodily resurrection of Jesus Christ lacks credible evidence.

They claim it is unhistorical more than some other event in the first century because they believe that Jesus' resurrection cannot be examined with the normal tools of historical inquiry.

I think that they don't want to say it's true, because if they do then they are saying that everything else is true. So basically they are trying to disprove our theories because no one else in history has ever died then come back without dying again like Jesus did. And they think that if it can't be proved by science then it isn't true

What motivates liberal Christian scholars to explain away bodily resurrection of Jesus Christ is they lack credible evidence.

They claim that it is unhistorical more than some other event in the first century because Jesus' resurrection cannot be examined with the normal tools of historical inquiry.

Some Liberal Christians think it's really not true when Jesus rise from that dead wasn't the evidence. They would claim it's unhistorical than some other events in the first century because NOT other Christians including us can't raise from the dead like Jesus did before.

What do you think motivates liberal Christian scholars to explain away the bodily resurrection of Jesus Christ? Why would they claim that it is unhistorical more than some other event in the first century?

i think liberal christian scholars to explain the resurrection away because than they have to say all the bible is real. they claim that it is unhistorical than other events because they would to say the bible is real.

The liberal Christians scholars (probably not all of them) feel the need to "tame" Christianity to make it fit in our "modern" western scientific way of thinking, reducing it to a mere social philosophy. They claim that the resurrection is unhistorical because it can not be scientifically proven. Evidences can not be found to either reject it or accept it and what can not be proved has to be rejected.

The fact that these people define themselves as Christian is a sign that they have been drawn to Jesus (considering Him at least as a great teacher) and can not completely reject Him; but their minds are still closed to the irrational and the miraculous in Jesus and thus closed to the real and saving Christ.

They deserve compassion and our prayers. For many people's egos accepting irrationality is just too threatening. If they could feel the amazing love that Christ has to offer they would be able to surrender their precious logic to Him and gain the New Life He promises. Some do it...I did :)

• 3 weeks later...

[/quote

Science I believe is discovering what God created This is really deep. We don't have to prove God all we have to know is that He is God is God and a miracle worker who can do all things. The resurrection of Jesus Christ has been prophesied before He came to life and has been made manifest 3 days after His death/burial. We should accept this by faith. It takes the Spirit of God for one to understand and believe the word of God. As true Christians we should not be unaware of the devices of the enemy, I can only ask, what spirit is it that explain away anything written in the scripture concerning our Lord Jesus Christ? God help us all.

• 1 year later...

1. a. I think what motivates Liberal Christian scholars is the worldly view and unbelief and that that they are not using the measure of faith given to them and if they are true believers and have the Spirit of God in them that gives them witness.

b. The fact that it cannot be proved and they were not an eyewitness, they don't believe it. The just shall live by faith.

• 8 months later...

Q1. What do you think motivates liberal Christian scholars to explain away the bodily resurrection of Jesus Christ? Why would they claim that it is unhistorical more than some other event in the first century

(1) I think they did not wont to believe it because it were not what they called proven by some one they would call scientifically proven but I am so glad that he did not need to be proved by no one, because when he Rose he not only for me he Rose for the whole wide world.

(2) I think they claim it is unhistorical because they did see him rise,but that were God plan for them not to see rise (so to make their side shine) they say is body were stole from the grave