JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. The Idea of "Son"

I believe he was referring to him as his only begotton son. He stated he hath appointed him heir of all things, and who else would have this right, but a son. A son has spent time with God and learned from him him face to face, therefore, he would have direct knowledge of God's thought and he would be the one to listen to. A prophet knowledge was funneled and this could from time to time not be as acurate as we would desire it.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q1. (Hebrews 1:2) In what way do you think the author of Hebrews is using the word "Son"? As a metaphor? As a biological relationship? How would a Son's words have more weight than a prophet's?

I do agree with what was discussed in the lesson that the word "Son" specifically in the context of Hebrews meant a real relationship just as a biological relationship between a father and a son. If it has to be a metaphor, then it would be impossible for us to comprehend who Jesus actually is.

To hear the words of a Son is different from what we heard from someone else even though they may take the place of an ambassador. The Son's words has more weight because he knows the heart of his Father. This is possible because the Son had a very close relationship with his father. Because the son loves the father and vice versa so the thoughts of the Father are rightly convey through the Son.

The Word Son has to imply to HIS own. I think the real question would be. What last days? Are the last days that he is referring to are the current days or are the days during that era the same as now? It also says that His Son made all worlds and is Heir to all things. That to me would imply that He is trying to let the World know that His Son(JESUS) is GOD..

The words from the scripture verse "He has spoken to us by his son", means to me that All though the Lord spoke to us, it was Jesus his son (his representative) who gave us words/actions. Don't forget that the Trinity is representative of the one Lord. (Father, Son, Holy Ghost) "The Godhead".

This is, of course, a thought-provoking question. How can the words be more profound from a son than a prophet? When it is coming from Jesus, it is more profound. Jesus is everything. He is a prophet as well as the Son of God. Many prophets came and went, but in the Old Testament, those prophets were prophesying the coming of Christ. Jesus came and fulfilled the Old Testament and He prophesied that He is going to fulfill all of the prophesies written in God's Word. Coming from Jesus, it is not only a prophecy but a promise yet to come. God sent His Son to fulfill prophecy and Jesus came to do the work of His Father. So this is not a metaphor by any means, but a deep, intimate relationship between a Father and Son. The beauty of all this is that we as adopted sons and daughters of God can have a deep, intimate relationship with Him as well.

Michael B

As Jesus was and is the exact representation of God, what better way to communicate His message to mankind than for God to take on human flesh and become man himself. With the full authority of the sovreignty of God, Jesus surpasses all prophets and angels inasmuch that the Word became flesh.

Gordon

Q1. (Hebrews 1:2) In what way do you think the author of Hebrews is using the word "Son"? As a metaphor? As a biological relationship? How would a Son's words have more weight than a prophet's?

as a biological relationship

because the Son is God

I sense that Son in this context is meaning someone who is near and dear to their Father. The Father has intrusted everything to their Son. I take this as a literal term. A Son's word would carry more weight then a prophet's because the Father and Son have actually been in close connection with each other and the Son would know the exact words and wishes of the Father.

This was to be taken as a biological relationship, but I believe it should be taken as more. In my way of thinking, a father has to be established before he can have a son. The way I see this father- son relationship here; when ever there was a God, the Son was there. In John 1:1 it says,

The author was referring to a relationship here. The term Son denotes a relationship with a parent, in this case "Father" as a son one is raised by the parent, knows the parent and is taught by him. The fact that Jesus was God's Son implies a very special relationship, that even the prophets did not enjoy. Except for maybe Elijah!

Q1. (Hebrews 1:2) In what way do you think the author of Hebrews is using the word "Son"? As a metaphor? As a biological relationship?

Son is used to denote Jesus relationship to God. Sonship also denotes equality, equal to the Father as seen in - John 5:18 Therefore the Jews sought the more to kill him, because he not only had broken the sabbath, but said also that God was his Father, making himself equal with God.

How would a Son's words have more weight than a prophet's?

Jesus is the exact image, character and representation of God, because Jesus is God.

I believe the author meant Son as a biolgicaly, spiritually linked representation of the Father, the One and only true God. A person with this extremely personal intimate relationship sent by God himself and who claimed to come for the purpose of doing the Father's will the entire time he was on the earth is extremely influential. By Jesus own consistent message throughout his life said "I and the Father are One. If you have seen Me, you have seen the Father." A prophet on the other hand, reports that he/she is relaying a message from God to human beings for a devine time/purpose that which, in turn we are supposed to respond to in some way.

Strong's indicates, "a new and unique category of revelation in contrast to that of the prophets in that their testimony was preparation for the coming of Christ." This spiritual kinship goes beyond anything that we can fathom here on earth. However, we as believers and servants of the Most High can now share the relationship that Jesus has with His Father!!

God is using the term Son to make it known that not only did God want a representative, but one that would know the Father very intimately.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This is my first bible study and I was very apprehensive at sharing and answering the questions. However, I want to say that after reading the entries is was very encouraging to see in everyone a common understanding. It has helped to me to feel comfortable in sharing my own thoughts.

I believe that the use of the word Son was meant to help us as humans understand better the relationship between the Father and Jesus. It was a true biological relationship that we could clearly understand. It holds meaning and honor in our lives and therefore helps us to see the relationship between Jesus and God.

As, most have stated, Jesus had the authority to speak the Words, were as the prophets were told what to say. Jesus truly was God in human form.

Thanks

Kim

I think that this is a biological son. This is something that we could grasp in our finite minds but there is more to the story than just that. I think that God wanted to come to earth as a true, physical human being. He went through the process of birth, life and a horrible death for our sins. He lived among us a man and experienced what we do. We need to become like Christ and experience things the way He does. As a Son of God, he has the power and authority of His father. A prophet is merely a messenger, not a flesh and blood close relative.

:D Q1. (Hebrews 1:2) In what way do you think the author of Hebrews is using the word "Son"? As a metaphor? As a biological relationship? How would a Son's words have more weight than a prophet's?

By looking at the context of the verse in which the word Son comes to us we can see that the author is refering to Jesus in a biological term, but again if we look at the whole of the two verses :1 & 2 we can examine why what was said.

Heb 1:1 God, who at sundry times and in divers manners spake in time past unto the fathers by the prophets,

Heb 1:2 Hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son, whom he hath appointed heir of all things, by whom also he made the worlds;

God did not reveal all of Himself in any one time.

The process of revelation was a continuous one, in which the recipients received ever-increasing revelation of God. At no time in that older process did they have a complete idea of God.

At first they began to understand His creative power. Then they perceived something of His moral demands and His character as Judge as He sent the flood to destroy the evil in the world. Soon they were to see Him as a covenant-making God taking the initiative in establishing a covenant with Noah by means of a rainbow; then establishing a threefold covenant with an old shepherd and his wife, Abram and Sarah, promising them 1 offspring in great number, a 2 land in which their children would dwell, and finally that 3 all nations of the earth would be blessed through their descendants. They perceived Him as a God interested in individuals and families, while yet judging the nations of the earth. Later God revealed that in spite of His judgments, He would always save a remnant and from that remnant bring about a new people. The whole world would discover Him to be a God Who would pay a tremendous price out of redeeming love for the salvation of all people in Jesus Christ.

God spoke in bits and pieces at various times and through different methods (Prophets), but revelation was not complete, The author implies a whole different category of being, superior to that of prophet

• 2 weeks later...

The Hebrew word for son is Ben. A Hebrew name begins with a given name followed by Ben meaning son of. I believe God and the Son are one. The basic family unit provides a persons main relationships, nurture and support. All who belonged to the Father and claimed their allegiance to Him were part of the household and similar in beliefs and values. The father had the power. Abraham, even had the power to sacrifice his son and and that typifies Jesus being Gods son. Children were very important to the family and were uinder the control and authority of the father. Jesus even says He came in His fathers name to do His works. Sons were very important and considered second in significance in that culture. That reminds me of Christs submission to His Father in Heaven. Descent was through the male. There is a song by a Southern Gospl Group the Perrys. It says I'm a royal descendant from the King of Jerusalem. Part of the Bloodline... I think it talks more about our relationship with God as the redeemed but it can speak of this issue as well.

• 2 weeks later...