JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Holding Fast to Our Confession

(Mark13:37-40 He answered, "The one who sowed the good seed is the Son of Man. The field is the world, and the good seed stands for the sons of the kingdom. The weeds are the sons of the evil one, and the enemy who sows them is the devil. The harvest is the end of the age, and the harvesters are angels. As therefore the tares are gathered and burned in the fire; so shall it be in the end of this world.)

We hold fast our confession because weeds grow fast/multiply and will choke & smother the good fruit, or harvest. We hold fast, to constantly be prepared for attacks by the sons of the evil one. We confess in order to stand as sons of the kingdom and to claim our place in the kingdom of God. And to not be a tare.

Our confession of faith is that Jesus hung alive, on the cross, and died for our sins. And on the 3rd day, he rose again and ascended into heaven to sit at the right hand of the Father. Our confession is that we say with our mouth as Pastor said - that Jesus is Lord. Its when we wont keep what we said with our mouth. Then we are in trouble.

Why is maintaining this confession so vital? Dueteronomy 23:21-23 says: If you make a vow to the LORD your God, do not be slow to pay it, for the LORD your God will certainly demand it of you and you will be guilty of sin. But if you refrain from making a vow, you will not be guilty. Whatever your lips utter you must be sure to do, because you made your vow freely to the LORD your God with your own mouth. I believe professing, confessing & asking Christ into my heart is a vow. He reigns over my life and so if I ask Him to guide me, surely I promise to be what he asks me to be. This assures (verse 13) " ...all things are open and exposed" but, to God.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is important to hold fast to our confession because we need to stand firm in our faith.

Our confession of faith is that Jesus was crucified for our sins and that He rose again on the third day.

Maintaining this confession is vital because if we don't, we will slip and fall into sin.

Q1. (Hebrews 4:14) What is so important about "holding fast to our confession."

It is important we hold fast to our confession so we may go boldly to the throne of grace and mercy. Holding fast is using all our strength, our faith, seizing it, knowing that we know, and with that grounding we go boldly to the throne of God.

What is our confession or profession of faith?

That Jesus is the Son of God, He is equal to God, He died for the sins of mankind and He was resurrected, He is sitting at the right hand of Father God. All this is possible because He chose to be made lower than the Angels; why? so He could become our faithful High Priest.

Why is maintaining this confession so vital?

It is most important we maintain our confession of faith lest we have a heart of unbelief, unbelief that would lead to our departing from God, we would no longer be able to come boldly to His throne. Our confidence, our boldness is resting in Christ's Rest. Stand firm, for we have become partakers of Christ!

Q1. (Hebrews 4:14) What is so important about "holding fast to our confession." What is our confession or profession of faith? Why is maintaining this confession so vital?

Exodus 26:33

And thou shalt hang up the vail under the taches, that thou mayest bring in thither within the vail the ark of the testimony: and the vail shall divide unto you between the holy place and the most holy.

Since Jesus has now passed through the heavens, we whom have been called to serve Him, have become His own possession. In verse 14, Seeing then that we have a great high priest, that is passed into the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold fast our profession. The word have, indicates possession, that we have Jesus as our High Priest. Jesus now sits at the right hand of the throne of God interceeding for His chosen people. This is why we are called to hold fast to our confession that Jesus Christ is Lord. Lord over everything we think, say and do. All to the glory of God, through His Son, Christ Jesus.

This confession keeps us grounded in our faith.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Q1. (Hebrews 4:14) What is so important about "holding fast to our confession." What is our confession or profession of faith? Why is maintaining this confession so vital?

Holding fast to our confession has to do our high priest, Jesus Christ. Without Jesus we would be on the road to hell and damnation. Because Jesus took our place on the cross, humans have an opportunity to stand in front of God and have our sins removed from our lives, once we confess our sins and ask Jesus into our hearts. At that point, when we turn from our sins, we have an opportunity to go and live with God our father. This is done through the holding on to the confession that Jesus Christ is Lord of our lives. We then can be assured that we will end in heaven as Jesus did.

• 1 month later...

If we don't hold fast to our confession of faith, then we are no longer faithful practising Christians. We confess (as Anglicans) our belief in Jesus as God's Son, as Our Lord and as our Saviour. It is essential that we hold to this because all we do is in the light of our faith in Jesus. Together we can believe the same, we have ONE faith and ONE Lord, Jesus.

janesb

• 1 month later...

It is very important for a Christian to make a statement of their faith in the presence of many witnesses, and hold on to that faith and statement. Hold on to your faith and never let it slip away from you.

• 2 months later...

We can't waver in our confession of faith....Jesus died once for our sins....He said "IT IS FINISHED" so we can hold to the finished works of Christ and then do as He tells us to "GO FORTH" that is why we maintain our confession....so that we can tell others as we go forth into all the world and share the good news of Christ.

• 3 weeks later...

Q1. (Hebrews 4:14) What is so important about "holding fast to our confession." What is our confession or profession of faith? Why is maintaining this confession so vital

Rom 10 speaks of the basics-confessing Jesus as Lord, believing with our hearts that God raised Him from the dead

1 Cor 15 speaks of the basics-that were received by Paul- 1) Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, 2) He was buried and 3) rose on the 3rd day

In this passage (Heb 4:14) we see the confession is obviously about Jesus, the author picks up on Jesus as Son of God (from chapter 1) and especially that picks up on Jesus as- high priest, in fact, the great high priest! (distinguishing Him from others) Jesus as high priest becomes a dominant theme in Hebrews, I think this is probably what the writer is getting at re profession, i.e. of Jesus as high priest- this makes sense too when he is warning them not to go back i.e. to their old confession

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

That we may lay hold of eternal life.

It is our statement of allegiance to the LORD our Saviour.

So in the end we may enter into the eternal rest promised to those who believe.

• 2 weeks later...

Holding onto our confession of faith is so important because not only is Jesus super-sufficient to save us from our sins and all that is implied therein, but He is also the only Way that any man can be saved from his sins. If a man not be saved, he is condemned and if condemned, that man's destiny is eternal destruction. Thus, our eternal life or eternal death hinges upon the belief of our heart relative to Jesus as our Lord and necessary and sufficient Savior which was reflected in our saving confession spoken out of the abundance of our heart. The command to "hold" this confession implies two things: 1) that we may let go of our confession and forfeit the salvation attained therby if we choose to; and 2) we are able to hold on to the confession of our heart by which we are saved if we desire to remain in our saving relationship with the Majestic Glory.

• 2 weeks later...

It is a form of compact or covenant...or agreement we entered into, with the Lord at salvation.Since we are constantly being tempted to withdraw or turn away from Him, to hold fast to our confession is to reaffirm that He is still our first love. It's like contending for a marriage relationship, and telling our spouse we love them often, as an affirmation to our commitment to each other.

That Jesus is Lord....not just my Savior, but master of my life.

The writer of Hebrews exhorted us in V.11 to be zealous to exert ourselves and strive diligently to enter the rest of God, to know and experience it for ourselves, that no one may fall or perish by the same kind of unbelief and disobedience into which those in the wilderness fell. We are told in Romans 10:10 that a person believes with the heart, but with the mouth confesses, declares openly and speaks out freely his faith and confirms his salvation.

• 1 month later...

:rolleyes:

"Holding fast to our confession" means that we stand firm in our saying that Jesus is King of our lives and that all we do is done to glorify Him. We are letting everyone know this is our belief.

"Jesus is Lord" is my profession of faith. This is the basis of everything I believe.

Living in this world has many trials and tribulations. However, we are looking forward to eternal life with Jesus. Maintaining this confession constantly reminds us of what is important and helps us stay focused on glorifying God and living so that we will have eternal life with Him. :P

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

The importance of holding fast to our confession, is through this confession of faith we have the hope of salvation.

We as Christians profess that Jesus is Lord and Savior. He is the Way to eternal life with God.

Only by remaining steadfast and continual in our faith in Christ can we receive the promise of eternal life with Him.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I want to be a follower of Christ and not be afraid to live it. To walk it is to live it, and can be used to show those in question how true and wonderful it can be, that is why it is important to hold fast to my confession, in doing so I am not giving satan a foot hold. I believe in God the Father,who is the creator of heaven and earth and of all living things, who gave His only Son to be born of the virgin Mary who was born and lived as a man, who is sinless. who died at is own decision thru the Fathers will for all our sins, He was dead and was rose again on the 3rd day and was lifted up to heaven and who sits at the right hand of the Father who will come to judge the living and the dead, and I accept the Lord Jesus as my saviour and so thru the grace of the Father I have etertnal life. If I was to let go of all this I would be a fool, it would be apostasy to Christ and I would be going to hell instead of heaven. I will pray for those I do know that ride the fence as we say and also for those I do not know. PRAISE AND GLORY IS ALL YOURS jESUS CHRIST! :rolleyes:

• 7 months later...

Life presents many opportunities to turn back but we must be determine to press ahead in spite of what we face - the Word of God insures us that the one that endures to the end is the one who will be saved. . .

Our confession of faith is that Jesus is Lord. . . Maintaining this confession is vital because this confession along with a life lived in agreement with this confession is what gives us victory in this life and allows us to enter into the very presence of God when this life is all over. . .

B)

• 2 months later...

Our confession is a testament to the fact that we believe in the ministry, life, death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus Christ. This is a confession of faith, as we were not present when these events occurred. We believe in our hearts, not just in minds, which is key in living a life that lines up with that confession.

Our confession is a testament to the fact that we believe in the ministry, life, death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus Christ. This is a confession of faith, as we were not present when these events occurred. We believe in our hearts, not just in minds, which is key in living a life that lines up with that confession.

• 3 months later...

Answer:

Holding fast to our confession means, to stay committed to our belief,on who really Christ is.

Our initial experience,confessing Jesus as our Lord and personal savior,changes us significantly.Although we cannot notice any changes in our Physical body,or emotional part,the change happens in our Spiritual realm.

Holding fast to this Faith,(Lordship of Jesus)will affirm our position,who we are in Christ,for holding fast is also to continue, with what we have started.Jesus said that we can only be disciple if indeed we continue with his Word(John 8:31- 31 Then said Jesus to those Jews which believed on him, If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed).Jesus speaks this to JEWS WHICH ALREADY BELIEVE IN HIM.Therefore,believing is not the only thing..we must affirm our belief,BY HOLDING FAST,MAINTAINING and CONTINUING with our CONFESSION through HIS WORD.And only then,one by one the revelation will be open to us by the Holy Spirit whom Jesus himself send to teach us,and make us remember all that He teaches us.