JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Patient Endurance

Q4. (Hebrews 6:12) If we take seriously the writer's exhortation to exercise both faith and patience for the long haul, what effect does that have on our Christian life? On our perspective?

I think we must have this perspective- as the writer of Hebrews encourages later in chapter 12-this is an endurance race not a sprint and we need to face that there is an inherent difficulty in that-it

• 3 months later...

Our faith in Jesus is what keeps a Christian trusting and believing in Him.

We Christians are bombarded daily by the wiles of the devil and he will continue to distract us from the word of God if he can so believers must continue also to read and study the word of God daily and resit the devil through prayer and fasting. In James 4: 7 Submit yourselves, then to God resist the devil and he will flee. Jesus has given us the necessary tools to resist temptation by putting on the whole armor of God that will equip us in fighting temptation. Yes the atonement of Jesus Christ has redeemed us from sin but we must know that we live in a sinful world in which there are temptations out their to tempt us. Jesus was tempted by the devil when he was in the wilderness for forty days and the devil tried every temptation that he could to discourage, distract and defeat Jesus. He tempted Jesus through ****, and pride if we are in Christ we will have to endure the same temptations, however Jesus has made a way of escape, in I Corinthians 10:13 NIV. No temptation as seized you except what is common to man. And God is faithful: he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can stand up under it. Thank you Jesus !

Q4. (Hebrews 6:12) If we take seriously the writer's exhortation to exercise both faith and patience for the long haul, what effect does that have on our Christian life?

We will not be tempted to turn back in times of adversity and will instead rest in the grace of God knowing that His promises are true.

On our perspective?

It helps us to remain conscious of the 'big picture'; to endure with patience the sometimes harrowing journey of life because we know in the end the glory of the final destination will far outway whatever adversities we have endured to get there.

How can we resist the subtle temptation to think that our salvation depends upon our endurance rather than Christ's atonement and the grace of God?

By realizing that it is only by grace, through faith in the atoning sacrifice that we are both saved and able to endure life's

up and downs. Endurance doesn't save us, but it will keep us from becoming apostate (falling into apostasy).

• 3 weeks later...
Q4. (Hebrews 6:12) If we take seriously the writer's exhortation to exercise both faith and patience for the long haul, what effect does that have on our Christian life? On our perspective? How can we resist the subtle temptation to think that our salvation depends upon our endurance rather than Christ's atonement and the grace of God?

1) If we take seriously the writer's exhortation to exercise both faith and patience for the long haul, what effect does that have on our Christian life? On our perspective?

I think this exhortation should be encouraging because it should tell each one of us who have not fully realized our salvation that it may take a long time. This encourages belief in a Christian who after a great deal of time still struggles with some sin; it helps struggling Christians not to lose heart. The salvation we are talking about is salvation from sin. For Jesus was sent to save His people from their sins. Relative to our perspective, this verse should tell us that salvation from sin on earth is a process!

2) How can we resist the subtle temptation to think that our salvation depends upon our endurance rather than Christ's atonement and the grace of God?

By reminding ourselves that our salvation was completed in 33 A.D. by Jesus and already exists in timeless eternity and that Jesus' work of grace secures our patient endurance on earth.

• 2 weeks later...

Q4. (Hebrews 6:12) If we take seriously the writer's exhortation to exercise both faith and patience for the long haul, what effect does that have on our Christian life?

We will work to full capacity in a relaxed state of faith....Perserverence accompanies faith. It is a fruit of His Spirit (Gal 5:22,23)...I've experienced this in my own life. The Lord has given me many promises... but in particular, one in 1979, and another in 1988 which are not only unfulfilled at this moment, but in fact look impossible to ever be fulfilled...much like Abraham's promises. I can't tell you how many times, at points of discouragement or utter despair and frustration, the Lord has picked me up and encouraged me, sent fresh manna, hope, (without hope we perish), a Word in due season... exactly what I needed at just the right moment. It occurred to me, that when He does fulfill them, and He will, He gets all the glory for my perserverance....without Him carrying me along, I would have given up long ago in the face of persecution, disillusionment, attacks of all kinds, unspeakable losses, fear, etc. He is amazing! When our finished "portraits" hang in the gallery in Heaven....His is the Glory, He did the work, He is the artist, the author and finisher of our faith. We will be like Him, but not because of our work or works.

On our perspective?

During these years of sometimes, torturous waiting while expecting Him to act, my perspective has changed completely..When the waiting began 30 years ago, my perspective was I had to clench my teeth, and somehow make the promises happen, work to see them fulfilled..I now have His perspective. The waiting has developed perserverance, but as I said, He has produced it in me...as all Fruit of the Spirit is produced. Now, after all of these years of waiting, I recognize it isn't about ME...it's about bringing Him glory; It's about bringing others to Christ; It's also about those around me whose lives intersect with mine, and what He is doing in them through me and through them watching what He's doing in my life....how He sustains, how He provides, how He heals, and softens the heart, and my attitude along the way and consequently, how He changes them along with me as we interact.

How can we resist the subtle temptation to think that our salvation depends upon our endurance rather than Christ's atonement and the grace of God?

That's the thing...salvation IS by grace alone. I can add nothing to it. I can't keep myself saved...He's proven that to me in my own life....He chooses everyone to be saved, but only those who choose to be chosen, are the Son's gift to His Father, given through His blood which is powerful enough to not only save and cleanse me, but to keep me and to complete me "at that day" Phil.l:6 Like Paul, the only thing I can boast in, is Jesus Christ.I wouldn't even be saved, if it weren't for Him chasing me down.

For me, it's to remember that this isn't about salvation....that is secure. I loved Millard Erickson's perspective in the notes...that this passage teaches that a Christian can lose salvation, but John 10 teaches that he won't. I see it more as a warning to keep holding God's hand and allow Him to bring me along and to cooperate with Him in the completion process. It seems to me this is more about fruitfulness....about praying, seeking, knocking until His Character if formed in me.

• 1 month later...
Q4. (Hebrews 6:12) If we take seriously the writer's exhortation to exercise both faith and patience for the long haul, what effect does that have on our Christian life? On our perspective? How can we resist the subtle temptation to think that our salvation depends upon our endurance rather than Christ's atonement and the grace of God?

We live in a state of faith and can have patience whatever may happen in our lives because we know the best is yet to come. Our perspective is one of living for eternal life with God. We must always remember that when we endure, our endurance is because of God's working in our lives. We do not live by our own strength but everything is a gift from God. God gets all the glory for our endurance and for everything that happens in our lives.

• 5 months later...

It should cause us to desire to live our lives as Christ lived His. We should have the perspective to see ourselves as an extension of Jesus and our lives as Christians should exemplify His. Resisting the temptation by remembering that apart from God we can do nothing, but He does it all.

• 3 months later...

Q4. (Hebrews 6:12)

If we take seriously the writer's exhortation to exercise both faith and patience for the long haul, what effect does that have on our Christian life?

On our perspective?

The author of Hebrews tells us to imitate the saints in their faithful trust, perseverance, and eagerness. We are to persevere even if it is hard to maintain and it is easy to fall into laziness. We are also told to imitate those who through faith and patience inherit the promises. Both Jesus and Paul told us to learn from and imitate them. Jesus says in John 13:15,

• 1 month later...
Q4. (Hebrews 6:12) If we take seriously the writer's exhortation to exercise both faith and patience for the long haul, what effect does that have on our Christian life? On our perspective?

we remember these four things -

1. The cost of our salvation is immeasurable - God's only son delivered up for us all!

2. it may seem tough following Christ ( although if we remember our brothers and sisters in places like China this is a cakewalk) -- but what is a few years of obedience in comparison with the eternal glory that awaits us?

3. Our love of Christ is fuelled by the passion and Power of God's Holy Spirit when we abide in Christ. So abide we must!

4. We remember we are serving in a battle zone. the enemy of our souls is constantly working to sideline us - so stay strong and Jesus Christ and resist the devil and he will flee from us.

we know that we are saved by Grace - not by any works that we can do. It is all God's work. Our response to his immeasurable love and grace is to obey and serve our heavenly Father. This temptation comes from our enemy who wants to ambush our faith and ultimately wants to destroy us. As soon as we take our eyes off our Saviour and think about ourselves and what we do - and what we 'deserve' Satan has got us. The answer is to stay strong in our faith in our walk with Jesus every day through daily meditation on God's Word and prayer.

God bless you.

• 1 month later...

To wait upon the Lord is a life long experence, and is awsome. It has taught me patience and my faith has truly grown. My feet are well planted and I stand firm in faith,and truth. Some prayers have taken years to see the answers, but God came thru, in His time. There has been times when my faith has been challenged by friends and family, but when you live it and walk it Jesus shines thru. I think you can walk with assurance, not worrying about everthing. If one puts their faith in God He will give you the strength, and endurance you will need to follow Him, but that does not give us salvation, that is why we come to the heavenly throne where our High Priest is, we look to His mercy and it is because of Christs atonement that we recieve the grace of God. Our salvation is a gift from God if we accept Christ. THANKS BE THE LORD! :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

The effect it has on the Christian life is that with surety both faith and patience allows a person to continue the road to heaven in peace knowing that they will see Jesus face to face someday. When a person thinks that salvation depends upon on their endurance it becomes boasting with pride that it was because of what they did and not what Christ did for them on the cross. They forget that it is by God

• 6 months later...

If we were to seriously exercise faith and patience in our Christian experience the result would be victory over all the temptation that are present or evident in this world - and in the end eternity in the presence of God. . .

Salvation is a gift from God - not the achievement of a goal - not a reward for doing good or right living - not something that can be purchased. . . We do not work to get saved - we cannot do enough work to be saved by the work we do - so the ability to endure has nothing to do with us being saved. . . As I said, we don't work to get saved - we work because we are saved. . . John 3:16 (NLT)

16 For God loved the world so much that he gave his one and only Son, so that everyone who believes in him will not perish but have eternal life.

Ephesians 2:8-10 (NLT)

8 God saved you by his grace when you believed. And you cant take credit for this; it is a gift from God.

9 Salvation is not a reward for the good things we have done, so none of us can boast about it.

10 For we are Gods masterpiece. He has created us anew in Christ Jesus, so we can do the good things he planned for us long ago.

2 Timothy 1:9 (NASB)

9 who has saved us and called us with a holy calling, not according to our works, but according to His own purpose and grace which was granted us in Christ Jesus from all eternity,

B)

• 2 months later...

I can remember a time when I became somewhat arrogant and self-righteous about an area of my life where I was actually doing well after years of struggling. I gave God His credit for helping me through, but I sort of bragged about it and it made my ego swell up a bit. Then suddenly, without warning, I fell really far...and HARD! For about a year, I had no peace, no joy, and I cried so much until I had no tears left.

What God was showing me was that I cannot rely on my own endurance, strength or self-sufficiency to make it through this life. I MUST depend on Him for EVERYTHING. I believe God had to knock me down for several reasons:

1) To open my eyes to the pride I had developed

2) To show that He was God and I am not

3) To show his AWESOME, unconditional love for me, and to get me to a place of total dependency on Him

I wanted to share this testimony as an illustration of the fact that it is possible to think that just because we're doing well in areas of our lives we tend to struggle with doesn't mean we have arrived. God will always keep that "thorn in our side" to make us remember just how human we are and to never forget that it is He that keeps us, saves us and gives us to grace to even have relationship with Him.

• 3 months later...

Answer:We will finish our race,and receive the Glory that was promised to us in Heaven.We should always look into our marriage,and union with Christ,and stop at looking in our ability,to save ourselves.

I can remember a time when I became somewhat arrogant and self-righteous about an area of my life where I was actually doing well after years of struggling. I gave God His credit for helping me through, but I sort of bragged about it and it made my ego swell up a bit. Then suddenly, without warning, I fell really far...and HARD! For about a year, I had no peace, no joy, and I cried so much until I had no tears left.

What God was showing me was that I cannot rely on my own endurance, strength or self-sufficiency to make it through this life. I MUST depend on Him for EVERYTHING. I believe God had to knock me down for several reasons:

1) To open my eyes to the pride I had developed

2) To show that He was God and I am not

3) To show his AWESOME, unconditional love for me, and to get me to a place of total dependency on Him

I wanted to share this testimony as an illustration of the fact that it is possible to think that just because we're doing well in areas of our lives we tend to struggle with doesn't mean we have arrived. God will always keep that "thorn in our side" to make us remember just how human we are and to never forget that it is He that keeps us, saves us and gives us to grace to even have relationship with Him.

Thanks for sharing Peaches.I am also in the struggling stage right now.I too was doing well last year,and suddenly it just went blank.I was totally in your position,thinking that I was doing good because of my effort in seeking God,and sometimes judging that I am better than other people in the Church,because of my revelations.Effort is not really contrary to God's Grace,but EARNING IS.

I thought I am entitled,with all those blessings that I earned it.How stupid I was.

It is still through God's Grace,and Goodness and Mercy that we get our blessings,independent of our performance.

• 2 months later...

All of this boils down to one thing-if I am a serious Christian, then I will pray, I will study the word of God, and I will trust God's provision for my life. It is His life anyway-He purchased it when Jesus went to the cross. We cannot, in and of ourselves, do anything to secure our salvation-it is free. But-after we get saved, we must stay in the Word, and get in the practice of telling God about our issues. He does want to hear from us, and we're just cheating ourselves when we don't communicate with Him! And-the more into the Word we get, the more endurance we will have-more patience, more ability to resist temptation-it's great!

Prayer must be concerned with transgressions and a willingness to forgive those who have harmed us. By loving God and others, we follow the example of great poeple of faith. We have to have faith and endurance. We can resist by staying in the Word, praying and seeking God, staying close to Him.

• 2 months later...

1) Helps us to become more productive. The word says that God is not unrighteous to forget your work and labor of love. So we are to strive toward the mark, we are not to be lazy. Knowing what lies ahead will keep us from becoming bored.

2) We have the assurance that we will received all that God promised

3) We must continuely remind ourselves that it was because of God's amazing grace and it was nothing that we did or said for our salvation. We must not slack off but remain diligent to the end. We must stay in God's word and pray daily.

• 9 months later...

Faith and patience has an effect on our eternal life. Our perseverance helps us do God’s will and has to do with our receiving His promises of eternal life. It is hope in that promise that keeps us from becoming lazy or feeling bored. We have to stay connected to God through His word and Jesus will help us with the temptation we may face.

• 5 months later...

Q4. Patience and endurance has never been easy to practice, is aquired by the grace of God, on a daily basis to practice the Word of God. to resist the temptations and laziness in quiting. Beacuse quiting is the easy way.

We have to depending on God for each day to hold us by His mercy and grace to persevere up to the end.

I would never do it if was not for his mercy and grace.

• 1 year later...

I think the effect of exercising both faith and patience for the long haul is it puts us into a state of looking to forward to eternity and what it brings. We may have to live the here and now but this isn’t all that there is. The way that I see that the subtle temptation that our salvation depends upon my endurance rather than Christ’s atonement and the grace of God is that I am still a sinner and I know  that there is no works that I  can do  that will atone for  that.

• 2 years later...

In Hebrews 6:12, if we take seriously the writer exhortation to exercise both faith and patience for the long haul, the effect it will have on our life is that our attitude will be not to become lazy, but to press on passionately with faith and patience so we can inherit the promises of God.

Our perspective on this long haul of faith, patience and perseverance will be to look forward to eternal life with Christ in the Kingdom of God.

To resist the temptation that our salvation depends upon endurance rather than Christ's atonement and grace is that knowing what Christ has accomplished for our salvation, we are not to believe it is by our own perseverance. It is by doing the will of God, that we have received his promises. We are to remain steadfast in his love, to throw off the things that entangle us in this life. We are to press forward for that grace that was given to us.       

• 4 years later...

Our inheritance is the same as those faithful saints of old, but you must trust God to take you through every obstacle in your path, just as they did. Like the biblical believers who have preceded you, you'll find that no challenge is a match for the amazing power of God. There are great blessings ahead if you'll diligently do what He says. We need to set clear goals, be patient, be willing to take risks, be persistent and be flexible. This way we don't get bent out of shape when things go our way.

• 5 months later...
On 4/14/2007 at 5:42 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

We will take seriously the disciplines of our faith. Prayer, Bible Study, obedience. The effect should be steady, gradual change to be more like Christ. Not perfect, but not what we were.

Looking for our reward in heaven, not just living for earthly reward.

Consistent fellowship with God softens our hearts and reminds us we are human beings. Not human doings. So as we obey, we work alongside our Father. Not out on our own for Him. We know Him and experience Him as we obey in Fellowship, not because we obey.

• 1 year later...

(Hebrews 6:12) If we take seriously the writer's exhortation to exercise both faith and patience for the long haul, what effect does that have on our Christian life? On our perspective? How can we resist the subtle temptation to think that our salvation depends upon our endurance rather than Christ's atonement and the grace of God?

We pray to not become lazy, but to imitate those who love God and through faith and patience truly inherit the promises of His Word Our endurance  needs to be based of the faith we have from the grace of God. Our hearts will love God's will as we imitate Christ, who was a perfect follower of the Father's will.

• Pastor Ralph changed the title to Q4. Patient Endurance