JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Weakness or Apostasy?

Q3. (Hebrews 10:26-31). (In your discussion, please resist the temptation to slam another Christian who might understand the security of the believer differently from you!) What kind of sin is expressed by the phrase, "deliberately keep on sinning" (10:26)? Is this talking about sins related to the weakness of our flesh or apostasy? What elements in 10:29 contribute to your understanding that this is indeed flagrant apostasy, not garden-variety sin?

If we knowingly keep on doing the same sin, it is committing the sin of apostasy. this is talking about the weakness of apostasy. trampled the Son of God under foot, treated as unholy thing the blood of the covenant that sanctified Him, and insluted the Spirit of Grace, these are the elements.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I believe that the author is relating to the sins of our flesh sins that we willfully continue to manifest daily. When we sin willfully and show no remorse we are portraying apostasy sins. We have committed ourselves to ways that are against our faith and truth in Jesus Christ, we have gone astray and have refused our salvation that was dearly paid by Jesus Christ.

• 1 month later...

Q3. (Hebrews 10:26-31). (In your discussion, please resist the temptation to slam another Christian who might understand the security of the believer differently from you!) What kind of sin is expressed by the phrase, "deliberately keep on sinning" (10:26)?

Deliberately, willfully, defiantly, in God's face, long term...Not a bad day kind of sin, nor the weakness of the fallen flesh kind of sin. This is those who put themselves in oppositon to God. v. 27

Is this talking about sins related to the weakness of our flesh or apostasy?

It's talking about apostasy, turning the back on God....going back to the old life, as the Jews were wanting to do after knowing Jesus. This is rejecting Jesus completely. v. 28

What elements in 10:29 contribute to your understanding that this is indeed flagrant apostasy, not garden-variety sin?

This is the spurning and trampling under foot the Son of God, considering the covenant blood, common and unhallowed, thus profaning it and insulting and profaning and outraging the Holy Spirit who imparts grace and favor and blessing of God. There is forgiveness for our sins, so this is talking about going out of the reach of forgiveness....I'm assuming the unpardonable sin of rejecting Jesus and His blood.

• 1 month later...
Q3. (Hebrews 10:26-31). (In your discussion, please resist the temptation to slam another Christian who might understand the security of the believer differently from you!) What kind of sin is expressed by the phrase, "deliberately keep on sinning" (10:26)? Is this talking about sins related to the weakness of our flesh or apostasy? What elements in 10:29 contribute to your understanding that this is indeed flagrant apostasy, not garden-variety sin?

Q3. (Hebrews 10:26-31). (In your discussion, please resist the temptation to slam another Christian who might understand the security of the believer differently from you!) What kind of sin is expressed by the phrase, "deliberately keep on sinning" (10:26)?

I believe that vs. 26 means a being defiant toward God and willfully living with the attitude of being opposed to God and His Word.[/b]

[/b]

I do not believe this is talking about weakness of the flesh but rather willfully turning against God and rejecting God completely.

What elements in 10:29 contribute to your understanding that this is indeed flagrant apostasy, not garden-variety sin?

All of the elements in the verse contribute to my understanding that this is apostasy.

• trampled the Son of God under foot
  • treated as an unholy thing the blood of the covenant that sanctified him
  • insulted the Spirit of grace

[/b]

• 6 months later...

Deliberately keep on sinning is referring to sins that are a direct act of rejection of God. The turning away of the faith and returning to your former life without Christ.

No, it is not in reference to sins of the flesh. It is not speaking of the fleshly sins that we battle over and over again on a daily basis. The author is speaking of deliberate and intentional defiance towards God.

Elements: "trampled the Son of God underfoot" "treated as an unholy thing" "insulted the Spirit of grace"

• 2 months later...

Q3. (Hebrews 10:26-31).

(In your discussion, please resist the temptation to slam another Christian who might understand the security of the believer differently from you!)

What kind of sin is expressed by the phrase, "deliberately keep on sinning" (10:26)?

The author has the sin of apostasy in mind and not the weakness of the flesh. We think of those Christians who profess to be Believers for a while, identifying themselves with a local church, but then deliberately turning away from Christ and this after receiving the knowledge of the truth. Very much like Judas, who heard the gospel, and knew the way of salvation, and even pretending to receive it; but then deliberately repudiating it. For such a person, there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins. He has decisively and conclusively rejected the once-for-all sacrifice of Christ. Therefore God has no other way of salvation to offer to him. It could be that they were never truly born again.

We note the following three elements in verse 10:29

• 2 months later...

This is a sin that one has thought about, basically they know it is wrong but are set on going thru with it any way. This means that one is looking God straight in the face and mocking Him. I believe that it is the weakness of the flesh, so one is giving into it and so one is falling away from God also, so it is also apostasy. I think they go hand in hand, one strays a little then satan sets in and then you start falling away from God. We understand though that this is not your every now and then sin, this is some thing much bigger. To have gone all the way with Christ, accepting Him following Him, then to turn away, is like slapping Him in the face. What an insult to God and The Holy Spirit and Christ! To have sinned back in the old testament days like idolatry was death by stoning, can you imagine what the punishment will be for apostasy?!Remember what happened to Thomas? This is why we need to meet with fellow Christians to try to prevent this from happening.God is good and we should not take that for granted! ;)

• 7 months later...

"DELIBERATELY KEEP ON SINNING" - this is a constant rejection of Jesus as Savior - continually rebelling against Him - which is a state or condition of "APOSTASY". . .

Once we have been delivered from the power of sin (born again) - we no longer are controlled by Satan or so influenced by him that we "HAVE" to sin. . . We are saved yet living in the flesh so there are times when the thing(s) we do are not in agreement with the Word of God or God's purpose for our lives (in other words we commit sinful acts or activities). . . 1 John 1:6-10 (NKJV)

6 If we say that we have fellowship with Him, and walk in darkness, we lie and do not practice the truth.

7 But if we walk in the light as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus Christ His Son cleanses us from all sin.

8 If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.

9 If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

10 If we say that we have not sinned, we make Him a liar, and His word is not in us.

1 John 2:1-6 (NKJV)

1 My little children, these things I write to you, so that you may not sin. And if anyone sins, we have an Advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous.

2 And He Himself is the propitiation for our sins, and not for ours only but also for the whole world.

3 Now by this we know that we know Him, if we keep His commandments.

4 He who says, "I know Him," and does not keep His commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.

5 But whoever keeps His word, truly the love of God is perfected in him. By this we know that we are in Him.

6 He who says he abides in Him ought himself also to walk just as He walked.

As spoken above - it is not God's will that we sin - but should we occasionaly sin (in other words, if we do not have a practice of sinning - our lifestyle is not a lifestyle of sinning) - there is forgiveness for our sin(s). . .

The writer of the Book of Hebrews (10:29) appears to be discribing acts of "APOSTASY" which indicates that a person has "NO" respect or regard for Jesus as the Savior of all of humanity. . .

Romans 1:18-25 (NKJV)

18 For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who suppress the truth in unrighteousness,

19 because what may be known of God is manifest in them, for God has shown it to them.

20 For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even His eternal power and Godhead, so that they are without excuse,

21 because, although they knew God, they did not glorify Him as God, nor were thankful, but became futile in their thoughts, and their foolish hearts were darkened.

22 Professing to be wise, they became fools,

23 and changed the glory of the incorruptible God into an image made like corruptible man--and birds and four-footed animals and creeping things.

24 Therefore God also gave them up to uncleanness, in the lusts of their hearts, to dishonor their bodies among themselves,

25 who exchanged the truth of God for the lie, and worshiped and served the creature rather than the Creator, who is blessed forever. Amen.

B)

• 2 weeks later...

I found this scripture passage to be difficult until some light was shed. I have struggled with this one for quite some time. I hope this new understanding will help me overcome this struggle. Apparently, this passage is referring to a denial of the work of the Son of God and God's provision of Grace through Jesus. I believe in the work of the cross and the shed blood of Jesus for my sins. I believe Jesus is Lord and He is the Son of God. I struggle with sin that after I have confessed sometimes still occurs which then sets me up for an attitude of "What gives?" Why have I repeated a certain sin. For example gossiping. I have never full had victory over this. I have confessed this immediately when an occurence happens, I can say though I have "gotten better" at not gossiping and even not talking about another individual for any reason to another person. So reflecting back I would have to say over time because of God's great patience and gentleness with me He is helping me to become holy and blameless. I realize now that I have been impatient and expected immediate change in some areas of my life, but which the Lord has me to learn and truly understand Him in a better light. Praise God for His great Grace and Mercy.

• 2 months later...

This does not really answer the question. But I would like to share a comment from my study bible that I believe sums up the entire reason that our "garden-variety sins" are covered. I hope this encourages all who read this.

"Hebrews makes special mention that Christ "sat down" after finishing his priestly duties. Jewish priests never sat down; the tabernacle and the temple did not have seats. They did their work standing up as a symbol that it was never finished. Having finished the work of a priest once for all, Christ "sat down."

• 3 months later...

Answer;

What kind of sin is expressed by the phrase, "deliberately keep on sinning" (10:26)?

Deliberately keep on sinning is the UNBELIEF, LACK OF FAITH in JESUS and what HE has done on the Cross.

Unbelief or lack of Faith, in Jesus, is also a proclation that JESUS is not the MESSIAH,and His death is not valid.

2. ) Is this talking about sins related to the weakness of our flesh or apostasy?

I think He is talking here of not only weakness of our Flesh,but of SIN of NOT BELIEVING IN JESUS.,rejection of what He has Done in the Cross.

4.What elements in 10:29 contribute to your understanding that this is indeed flagrant apostasy, not garden-variety sin?

Hebrews 10:29(KJV)- Of how much sorer punishment, suppose ye, shall he be thought worthy, who hath trodden under foot the Son of God, and hath counted the blood of the covenant, wherewith he was sanctified, an unholy thing, and hath done despite unto the Spirit of grace

Hebrews 10:29(Ampl)- 29How much worse (sterner and heavier) punishment do you suppose he will be judged to deserve who has spurned and [thus] trampled underfoot the Son of God, and who has considered the covenant blood by which he was consecrated common and unhallowed, thus profaning it and insulting and outraging the [Holy] Spirit [Who imparts] grace (the unmerited favor and blessing of God)?(G)

The term used:

1.spurned and [thus] trampled underfoot the Son of God.

2.who has considered the covenant blood by which he was consecrated common and unhallowed,

3.thus profaning it and insulting and outraging the [Holy] Spirit [Who imparts] grace (the unmerited favor and blessing of God)?

In verse 29 is an indication of total lack of Faith,unmindfull,no respect to Jesus and His work in The cross.THIS IS THE ONLY SIN THAT THE HOLY SPIRIT WILL CONVICT MEN:

John 16:7-9- Him 7 Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you. 8 And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment: 9 Of sin, because they believe not to on me;

And if we deny Jesus,He will likewise deny us in front of the Father,rendering also unforgiveness to those that reject Him.:

Matthew 10;10- But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father

• 2 months later...

The one who rejects Jesus' offer of salvation-cleansing from sin repeatedly.

No, thank You Jesus!!

I believe it is that one that can't see anything wrong with what they are doing, although a saved person might look at the activity and see that it is sin-the conscience is no longer bothering that one.

• 2 months later...

1) The kind of sin expressed by the phrase "deliberately keep on sinning" is referring to people that know better. They deliberately and continually keep on sinning.

2) The sin that being talked about relates to apostasy, turning deliberately away from God.

3) Verse 10:29 describes sin as: Trampled the Son of God under foot. Treated as an unholy thing the blood of the covenant that sanctified him. Insulted the Spirit of grace.

• 2 months later...

The sin it is talking about is for people who have experienced the Lord's salvation, keep sinning and eventually turn from God. It is talking about apostasy. The elements I see are (1)to be guilty of trampling underfoot Jesus Christ, treating Him with contempt, and despising His life and death.(2)to covent the blood of Christ as unworthy of our loyalty and (3)to insult and rebel against the Holy Spirit, who brings the grace of God to our hearts.

• 7 months later...

To deliberately continue to sinning is to willfully and intentionally continue to sin; with has nothing to do with our weak flesh. For example, an alcoholic or gambler may want to stop drinking or gambling but cannot because he/she struggles with their flesh. Apostasy is intentionally and willfully continuing to sin after being freed from it. To trample God’s son under foot, mistreat the holiness of the blood covenant, and insult the Spirit of grace speaks a lot to flagrant apostasy.

• 1 year later...

I think that the phrase “deliberately keep on sinning” is talking about the sin when we turn our back on God and do not acknowledge him as the One and Only God. This is the apostasy sin that has come in the United States.

The element in 10:29 that contributes to understanding that is indeed flagrant apostasy is it talks about trampling the Son of God under their feet.

• 2 years later...

Hebrews 10:26-31, the phrase "deliberately keep on sinning" was used the author to bring to the attention of the believers, who were Jewish believers, that kept on returning to the old Mosaic laws and rituals. Knowing this and experiencing the joy of the Holy Spirit, it appears they were committing apostasy to the faith.

It appears this phrase is speaking about apostasy, for the Jewish believers were going back to the parts of the Old Covenant and Mosaic law. Christ died for our sins, but in the weakness of our flesh we still sin. The Holy Spirit convicts us of these sins and should sincerely repent of them. As long as we are in the flesh we will never be totally sin free. Through faith and hope we are sanctified to be holy as Christ, only once in Heaven will we share the glory of God.

The element in Hebrews 10:29 that contributes to my understanding, is the frequent apostasy tramples underfoot the blood of the Covenant and insults the Holy Spirit is the fact a person who has known the truth, experienced Gods blessings and promises and completely rejects Christ for another false teaching or belief has fallen from grace and most likely will never come again back to Christ.   

• 2 years later...

The author is speaking of apostasy which is the turning away from faith and God.  This is different from sin of the flesh or weakness, unintentional sin. A person who willingly turns from God and will not accept him as the Savior, and continues to walk and live in sin, knowing that it is against God to do so, this is the unforgiveable sin that God will not tolerate.  I use to misunderstand the phrase that God does not hear a sinner's prayer, until I begin studying the word in studies such as this.  And now I try to explain to those who keep repeating this that it is not meant for the Christian who has accepted Jesus as their Savior and walking in the word and doing His will.  We are covered by the blood of Christ and mercy and grace and when we sin and ask for forgiveness and turn from our sin He hears and forgives us.  For those who refuse to accept Christ and do not believe and continually and deliberately sin, knowingly sin,  there is no forgiveness.

• 2 years later...

It is someone who deliberately walks away from the knowledge of salvation and chooses to sin knowing that Christ could save them from eternal damnation. It is not a Christian who has been saved and is being sanctified by God continually. It is talking about apostasty clearly and how it occurs. It it the fact that the person chooses to trample the Lord underfoot. 

• 5 months later...
On 4/18/2007 at 5:16 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Deliberate, ongoing and persistent.

Apostasy.

Trampling on Jesus, regarding as insignificant His sacrifice, insulting the Holy Spirit.

• Pastor Ralph changed the title to Q3. Weakness or Apostasy?