JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Holiness and Salvation

Q4. (Hebrews 12:14-17) Is the writer of Hebrews teaching salvation by being holy? Why or why not? 1 Corinthians 6:9-11 and Galatians 5:19-21. Can habitual sin deprive us of heaven? If so, how?

Yes the writer of Hebrew is teaching salvation by being holy, because without holiness no one will see God. Yes habitual sin can deprive us of heaven, because these are acts of sinful nature and they are very obvious, and those that do take any part in this kind of sin will not inherit the kingdom of God.

• 7 months later...

Q4. (Hebrews 12:14-17) Is the writer of Hebrews teaching salvation by being holy?

No, he's exhorting holy living after salvation.

Why or why not? 1 Corinthians 6:9-11 and Galatians 5:19-21.

Salvation is by grace alone...through the shed blood of Jesus and His finished work on our behalf on the cross of Calvary.

Can habitual sin deprive us of heaven? If so, how?

I'm one who doesn't believe this...I believe the writer is exhorting the wavering Jews to not go back to their roots of Judaism to avoid persecution. I believe according to John 10 we won't abandon our faith because of His grip on us, and if any do walk away, they were not truly believers in the first place.

Paul spoke in Corinthians of the Lord taking some home to Heaven (or who "sleep")who were not living holy lives and were detrimental to the cause of Christ....I don't believe Annanias and Sapphira lost their salvation...they lost their earthly lives, as examples to the body of Christ that it's not ok to lie to the Holy Spirit.

• 1 month later...

[quote name=Pastor Ralph' date='Apr 18 2007, 10:38 PM' post='25838]

Q4. (Hebrews 12:14-17) Is the writer of Hebrews teaching salvation by being holy? Why or why not?

No, I do not think the writer of Hebrews is teaching salvation by being holy. Rather, he is saying that a person who has accepted Christ as Lord and Savior wants to glorify and serve God. Being holy is a result of being saved by the grace of God. :rolleyes:

1 Corinthians 6:9-11 and Galatians 5:19-21. Can habitual sin deprive us of heaven? If so, how?

My thoughts are that one who sins habitually without the effort of trying to overcome the temptation which leads to this sin does not really know the Lord as Savior. We all continue to sin and with God's grace can be forgiven. However, to continue to habitually continue to sin in the same way would indicate to me that the person has not accepted the free gift of salvation. May we all pray for anyone who habitually sins and ask the Lord to help us lead this person to know Him. :unsure:

• 6 months later...

No, you can't achieve salvation through works or what you do. Salvation is by grace through belief in God, acceptance of the sacrifice of the Son, and the receiving of the Holy Spirit.

It is not what you do with your hands, but what is in your heart.

Yes, it can deprive you of heaven because it can cause you to turn back to your present condition of unbelief in God. If you don't deal with sin immediately, it can infect the whole body as well as the mind and spirit to the point of no return. :(

• 2 months later...

Q4. (Hebrews 12:14-17)

Is the writer of Hebrews teaching salvation by being holy?

Why or why not?

1 Corinthians 6:9-11 and Galatians 5:19-21. Can habitual sin deprive us of heaven?

If so, how?

No we cannot earn our salvation. When we were born again, we were set apart to God from the world and automatically sanctified. By virtue of our union with Jesus Christ we are sanctified forever. Christ is our holiness, that is, as far as our standing before God is concerned. The writer of Hebrews is saying that we should separate ourselves from every form of evil, on a daily basis. Our holiness should be progressive, that is, we should be growing more and more like the Lord Jesus all the time. We do not earn the right to see God by living holy lives; Jesus is our only way to heaven. There must however, be proof of a new life within; if we not growing more holy, we are not saved. When the Holy Spirit indwells a person, He manifests His presence by a separated life. This holiness is not the state of perfection but refers to the sanctifying process that occurs in the life of the believer. As the writer of Hebrews says, Jesus is the one who makes the believer holy

• 1 year later...

Q4. (Hebrews 12:14-17) Is the writer of Hebrews teaching salvation by being holy? Why or why not? 1 Corinthians 6:9-11 and Galatians 5:19-21. Can habitual sin deprive us of heaven? If so, how?

Hebrews 12:14-17- 14Follow peace with all men, and holiness, without which no man shall see the Lord:

15Looking diligently lest any man fail of the grace of God; lest any root of bitterness springing up trouble you, and thereby many be defiled;

16Lest there be any fornicator, or profane person, as Esau, who for one morsel of meat sold his birthright.

17For ye know how that afterward, when he would have inherited the blessing, he was rejected: for he found no place of repentance, though he sought it carefully with tears.

1 Corinthians 6:9-11-9Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind,

10Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.

11And such were some of you: but ye are washed, but ye are sanctified, but ye are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God.

Galatians 5:19-21- 19Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,

20Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,

21Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.

Answer:

I Think the Writer is pointing out that,BEING HOLY IS WHO YOU ARE IN CHRIST JESUS

• 2 months later...

If a person is really saved, that person will want to do the right thing. That one will desire to be holy. We can;t be right until we are with God, but we can trust God to work on us until such time as we are with Him, and in right standing. In the meantime, sanctification is God's way of dealing with our "godliness". If we are not living right, and we are steeped in sin, then eventually, we will fall away. We can not be a child of God and keep sinning. It doesn't work that way. That's why I have to confess and repent many times a day! I make mistakes! But-God is faithful and just to cleanse us from all unrighteousness! Hallelujah! Please don't sin! If you keep doing it, you will eventally fall away, and be punished!

• 3 months later...

1) The writer of Hebrews is not teaching salvation by being holy. We are saved by sacrifice of Jesus for our sins. If we are saved, we will desire to be Holy.

2) Yes, habitual sin can deprive us of heaven. Both I Cor and Gal tells us if we engage in sin that we shall not inherit the Kingdom of God.

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, I think he is because he is saying that we cannot live in any sin, sins of the world, and be holy. That is only possible by the grace of God. There cannot be any sin in our life at all. Yes, habitual sin can deprive us because we are being deceived, have sin in our life.

• 1 month later...

Yes, I think he is because he is saying that we cannot live in any sin, sins of the world, and be holy. That is only possible by the grace of God. There cannot be any sin in our life at all. Yes, habitual sin can deprive us because we are being deceived, have sin in our life.

No, I do not think that is what the verses mean. I think he is telling us to stand strong/ perserve, firm in our beliefs & faith but he is no saying by doing that, we obtin salvation. Salvation comes through the grace of God & baptism, not just by standing firm in our faith.///// Habitual sin CAN deprive us of heaven, especially when we are saved & know better. We know God will help us overcome the sin, whatever it is & not to ask & receive that help is sin in itself. Habitual sin is like telling God I know it's wrong but I am doing it anyway. If we truly love God, why would we do that? I think the warning of a "hardened heart" would come into play here & that would keep us out of heaven.

• 6 months later...

I think the writer appears to be teaching both for the simple fact that salvation is redemption or deliverance and holiness is godliness or sanctity. Believers were rescued from a life of sin and slavery by the work of Jesus on the Cross and Mercy Seat; He is the author and finisher of our salvation. When he freed us, it is a requirement that we live godly lives and keep ourselves separate from worldly things and desires. We must renounce sin, obey God, pursue peace with others (whether we love them or not), abstain from sexual immorality, and become Christ like. Habitual sin (1 Cor 6:9-11; Gal 5:19-21) can deprive us of God’s presence. He expects His children not to have and maintain worldly characteristics; He expects us to have higher standards than those of the world. Or, we face the consequences of our actions which can cause us to be unworthy and face rejection by God.

• 1 year later...

The writer of Hebrews is teaching that salvation comes from God and if we follow Him then we will be holy. Habitual sin will deprive us of heaven. We will be continually in sin and when we are it is hard to think about anything else. Therefore we will stop worshiping God and following him so this will deprive us from heaven.

• 2 years later...

The author is not teaching that salvation comes by living a holy life, but believing in Christ as our savior, we should dedicate and desire to live a holy life just as Christ was holy. 

We can be a believer in Christ and still live a life of sin. We must live a holy life as we dedicate ourselves to the Lord.

The habitual sin could deprive us of heaven if we do not strive to live a life that is holy, for without holiness no one can see God.

Habitual sin can deprive us of heaven as stated in 1 Corinthians 6:9-11, that we are not to be deceived, the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God and Galatians 5:19-21, the works of the flesh are evident and those practicing such things will not inherit the kingdom of God. ( these verses were paraphrased for the answer, please read them in the New testament)     

• 4 years later...

The writer of Hebrews is telling us that when we come to Christ and become believers we need to learn to live for Him by redeeming the time and living Holy lives and learning to sanctify ourselves or set ourselves apart from the world so they can see a difference in us. I believe in certain cases in more like that person never truly had a heart change and different mindset.                                                                                                                                                

• 5 months later...
On 4/18/2007 at 5:38 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

No.  

Holiness will result because the heart changes.  Behavior changes after that.

Habitual sin can accompany being held out of heaven, if the person does not have saving faith.