JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Brotherly Love

Q1. (Hebrews 13:1-3) How do hospitality to strangers and visiting prisoners relate to brotherly love (philadelphia)? Where are you strong in brotherly love? Where are you weak?

Q1. (Hebrews 13:1-3) How do hospitality to strangers and visiting prisoners relate to brotherly love (philadelphia)?

Brotherly love means to know each person whom God has created as our brother. This includes those suffering in places we have never visited, those we may encounter in our daily lives whom we have never met before as well as those whom we encounter daily in our lives. We are to love and care for every child of God just as God loves us.

Where are you strong in brotherly love? Where are you weak?

Sometimes it seems easier to share in mission projects than to be tolerant of those we live with every day. I need to ask God's strength to show brotherly love to those who have annoying personality traits.

• 6 months later...

We are not to forget to be hospitable to all of our Christian brethren, regardless if they are strangers of prisoners. The common thread that bind us together is our belief in Christ.

I am strong in brotherly love when pertaining to strangers and the mistreated. I am weak when it comes to brethren.

• 2 months later...

Q1. (Hebrews 13:1-3)

How do hospitality to strangers and visiting prisoners relate to brotherly love (Philadelphia)?

Where are you strong in brotherly love?

Where are you weak?

We, as believers, all belong to one family, God

• 2 months later...

Q1. (Hebrews 13:1-3) How do hospitality to strangers and visiting prisoners relate to brotherly love (philadelphia)? Where are you strong in brotherly love? Where are you weak?

As God loves us we are to show the love He has given us to share with others. To love the ones we know can be easy, but to show that to strangers can be difficult, makes you nervous because you are treading on unfamilar ground. I am a good listener and willing to help out.

• 7 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Answer:

1How do hospitality to strangers and visiting prisoners relate to brotherly love (philadelphia)?

Hospitality to strangers,shows one of the Characteristics of Jesus,to reach to all men.In his great Commision,when he says

• 2 months later...

Jesus reached out to all people! It didn't matter who they were, or what station in life they had-He died for all of us, and He wants us-His chosen-to be loving and kind to others.

I am not strong at all. I am ashamed to say that I need alot of work in this area! I am definitly a work in progress! Help me, Lord!

• 3 months later...

Showing hospitality to strangers and prisoners is showing God's love. We do not know how far reaching an act of kindness might be. I think i am strong toward strangers because of the love of God that is in my heart. I don't care who they are or what they have done. I may be weak at times when it comes to people who have hurt or using me.

1) Hospitality to strangers and visiting prisoners relates to brotherly love because it shows affection for our brothers and sisters. It is what is commanded of us, to make people feel comfortable in our homes and have sympathy for those in prision.

2) I am strong in brotherly love with hospitality. I am a southern woman and believe in making people welcome in my home. I reach out, especially to the seniors and children, with love and affection.

3) I am weak in the area of visiting prisoners.

• 7 months later...

Hospitality relates to treating others (whether or not you know them) as you would want to be treated and to remember those who are suffering from persecution due to imprisonment. I can’t say specifically where I fall short on brotherly love. I only know that I have shown it in both of the circumstances mentioned whether it be giving money or sandwich to someone I don’t know or buying a phone card for someone incarcerated.

• 1 year later...

Hospitality to strangers and visiting prisoners relate to brotherly love because you are inviting them into God’s world. You are showing them kindness and are willing to feed them. I have a tough time with brotherly love. When I go down to Mexico on mission trips that brotherly love pours out of me I guess because they are so loving. But other than that I am weak in brotherly love.

• 2 years later...

Hebrews 13:1-3 visiting prisoners is related to brotherly love, because we are commanded to love one another as Christ loved us. We should visit those in prison, entertain strangers and those that are mistreated. We are to place ourselves in their position and pray for them. 

I'm stronger in brotherly love by praying for those in need at our congregation.

I'm weakest by not visiting those in jail and in assisted living facilities. These people need prayer also, because they most likely have no one to turn to for guidance and intercessory prayer. Those in assisted living are elderly and are usually forgotten by their family and friends.   

• 2 years later...

These two acts are gifts of love. We are commanded to show love as God showed it to us by given his Son to die for our sins.  Love is the way to the heart of Christ.  When we entertain strangers and visit those in prisons we are keeping His commandment and doing His will.  I am strong in giving of my time to the  sick and shut ins and praying for those who are in need of comfort of prayer. I am strong in praise and worship and sharing my love of the Father through song. I am weak in the area of having no patience for those who are playing "church", who say they love God and are Christians, but are not walking in the word and showing no signs of the daily walk.  Those who are praising God in one breath in church and sinning as soon as they get out!  Those who want you to show them brotherly love but have none to give and have no intentions of returning it or passing it on, just using it to get what they want.  God wants us to love one another as He has loved us, that would be those who are doing his will and walking in His word even in prison.  In this passage this applies to those who were persecuted and thrown in prison but were still followers of Christ.  Today there are those who converted while in prison and we are to embrace them and visit them as we do those who are among us each day.  By no means are we to mistreat the sinner, or anyone, for we are to pray for them and be the examples for them to come to Christ.  We are to be compassionate towards them without being influenced to engage in their sin of not doing the will of the Father.  But this passage of scripture is referring to brotherly love of those of the Faith, and showing the willingness to be kind to strangers because we are doing what is commanded of us to do.

• 2 years later...

In the Gospels Jesus spoke of how we are to clothe the naked, feed the hungry,  refresh the thirsty with something to drink, take strangers in, visit the sick, and visit the prisoners. The Lord Himself states that when we do it one of our brothers or sisters we are doing unto Him. Intercession, Encouragement Wisdom. Loving the unlovable. 

• 5 months later...
On 4/18/2007 at 5:41 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

They show evidence of Christ's work in us. Kindness to strangers @ work. Kindness to people I don't know well @

Church.