JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Psalm 19

Q2. (Psalm 19) Verses 1 to 6 seem very different from verses 7 to 13, but there is a common thread that relates the first part to the second part. What is it? In what way does the psalmist seem to bask in God's Word? Have you ever felt that way? How does the psalmist's wonder in creation seem to affect him in this psalm? In the classic prayer of verse 14, what is David asking God to do?

I believe the common thread between verses 1-6 and verses 7-13 is how God speaks. First, he speaks through creation to us and then He speaks to us through His written word.

King David seems to rejoice in the fact that God created everything for man to enjoy and glorify Him. He is thankful for what God has created for him and all mankind. He proclaims how beautiful creation is and how wonderful God is. It shows the very nature of God and how loving and generous He is to create all of it for man. He is praising God and rejoicing in his magnificence, wonder, and His beauty. Since creation is beautiful therefore the creator is also beautiful. He ponders the ideas that God’s Word can revive and renew us. It can make us wise, joyful, glad, and help us to be more enlightened and understand more about God and what He wants from us. He revels in the fact that we can know God intimately and he seems to get great delight in the knowledge. He delights in spending time with God and becoming more like Him. He wants to do what is right and to please Him.

I must say that I have not felt like that in a long time. I have not felt close to God like David had. I have not taken the time lately to really ponder the Word and what it says. I am going through a dry season right now and it is hard to pray and spend the time meditating.

I believe that David is in awe of God and what He has done. He sees himself as small and insignificant compared to God. He sees himself as lowly and sinful compared to a holy and awesome God. He realizes how far he is from being perfect or pure.

I believe that David is asking God to watch over his words and his thoughts so that they are pleasing to Him. He wants God to help him reign in his thought and think about what he is going to say. He wants others to hear him speak words that honor God and the only way that he can do that is to start with his thought life. Jesus said that our thoughts come from our heart. David wanted to have a heart like God.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q2. (Psalm 19) Verses 1 to 6 seem very different from verses 7 to 13, but there is a common thread that relates the first part to the second part. What is it? In what way does the psalmist seem to bask in God's Word? Have you ever felt that way? How does the psalmist's wonder in creation seem to affect him in this psalm? In the classic prayer of verse 14, what is David asking God to do?

In the psalm I believe that when we look at God's creation the Lord speaks to us through it in various ways. He shouts to us through the rainbow telling us He will never flood the earth again. For every thing that was created by HIm we are given a brief glimpse of HIm through creation which is HIs handiwork. Then He talks to us through His word again and again when we spend time with Him in reading it and reassures us of His love and devotion to us. The common thread is how the Lord communicates to us. David basks in the Word of God by hearing them and listening to them and obeying them as he should.  He basks in it by saying that it is sweeter than honey and even honey dripping from the honey comb. That speaks of love for the word of God. He is saying that he loves the Word more than anything else. He longs to be close to God and have a close relationship with the Lord. He has a heart after God's heart in this psalm as well. You can tell that that he longs for righteousness instead of wickedness. In verse 13 he speaks of deliberate sins that means any sins you commit with intent. It causes him to reflect on God's majesty and wonder and remember who is in control. He is asking God to accept the praise that David gives Him. But not only that watch what he says daily so he glorifies God daily. 

• 11 months later...

Q2. (Psalm 19) Verses 1 to 6 seem very different from verses 7 to 13, but there is a common thread that relates the first part to the second part. What is it? In what way does the psalmist seem to bask in God's Word? Have you ever felt that way? How does the psalmist's wonder in creation seem to affect him in this psalm? In the classic prayer of verse 14, what is David asking God to do?

In the first six verses the psalmist is reflecting on the general revelation of God given in the creation and in verses 7-13, he is reflecting on the special revelation of God given in the scriptures. The eternal power of the Godhead is clearly seen in the creation and His redemptive work is seen through the commandments. Whereas the creation is wordlessly speaking of Him, the scriptures speak of Him through words. Both creation and commandments echo who God is and therefore man does not have any excuse in denying God. So the common thread in these verses is the revelation of God.

The psalmist seems to bask in God’s word for  he understands the benefits of meditating in His word. For it revives the soul, it gives wisdom, gladdens the heart, spiritual eyes are enlightened, an enduring godly fear is instilled in the heart, and an understanding that His righteous judgments will reign always. Moreover it keeps him from sin whereby he will not fall into the pit of great transgression. 

Definitely. It’s through the scriptures that I have received edification, reproof, comfort, consolation. Moreover all the benefits that the psalmist declares is available to us too.

He sees the majesty of His creation and understands that the One Who is the Creator is more majestic that the creation itself. He understands that a mere puny man stands no chance before Him and it is sin that angers the Creator. So he humbly asks the Lord to keep him from sin.

In verse 14, David is asking the Lord to help him to speak right words which others hear and the words that he thinks in his heart or meditates upon to be pleasing to the Lord. For, whether it is words spoken and heard by others or the words thought and unheard by others, God hears both and he wants his words both spoken and unspoken to be pleasing to the Lord.

• 10 months later...

The psalmist is studying the different ways in which God speaks to us - firstly through creation, and then through His word.

The psalmist basks in God's word, because as one meditates on it one revives the inner life of the soul, becomes wise and becomes glad and righteous

His wonder in creation makes him aware of the greatness of God and His perfection, against which we should become increasingly aware of our own imperfections and, like the psalmist, repent of all our sins, secret or overt.

David is asking God to purify not only the words of His mouth, but also his inner life, his meditation and to make them pleasing or acceptable in His sight.  He also asks that God becomes his strength (his Rock) and the one who redeems him from sin and trouble (his Redeemer.)

• 3 months later...

I believe the Connection is the nature of God in his creation and the word of God both being perfect and revealing who he is . 

verse 14 the psalmist asks God for Christ’s wisdom in thoughts and attitudes and acknowledges that God is his rock and redeemer . 

• 1 month later...

The common thread that relates the first part to the second part is that they both talk about the word of God whose Heavenly message operates in the material earth. The psalmist basks in God's word through words of His mouth and meditation. The psalmist wonder ar creations gives him strength and confidence in The Redeemer. He feeling of desire, fear of the Lord and amazement at the perfection of His word.

• 2 years later...

The common thread as between verses 1 to 6 and verses 7 to 13, is the consistency and profoundness of God's omniscience and ordinances displayed through creation itself also revealed in the word of God.

The Psalmist seem to bask in God's Word by capturing the realness and depth of same with the use of imagery from nature/creation. I can certainly relate to the Psalmist where the marvel of the spoken word in scripture draws me to a deeper revelation through the awesome wonders of creation around me. 

The Psalmist's wonder in creation seem to affect him in a way that provokes a repentant heart, in surrender to the fear of God and His unfathomable power and mystery.

In the classic prayer of verse 14, David is asking God to keep him pure and by God's mercy and grace, accept his offering of praise.

• 2 months later...

God communicates to us both through His creation, vs 1-6, and His law in vs 7-13. We are passive recipients – listeners and watchers – of this divine communication. In nature we see God; as we read the law we become aware of His will and perhaps His character. In both we experience joy. And, in both we are awestruck.

I like your phrase “bask in God’s Word.” That’s a good mental image, that we passively absorb God’s word like a beachgoer absorbs the rays of the sun. I have been awestruck by nature many times, but I’ve never had the same experience when studying the Old Testament laws. I’ve noticed that secular people can have a similar awe-struck feeling when in nature, particularly when there’s a vista. Christians see God’s communication more clearly in the law.

The psalmist also experiences an increased awareness of his own sin, vs 11-13. Somehow, he moves 1) from being awestruck in nature to 2) marvelling at the wisdom in the law to 3) wanting to be more pure, even sinless. He wants to be blameless. Innocent of transgressions.

In the last verse, 14, David asks God to be pleased with his worshipful admiration of nature and the law as well as his awareness of his own sin. He’s asks God to accept his words and be pleased by them.

He then refers to God as a rock (stable, secure, unchanging, unmovable) and his Redeemer (perhaps prefiguring Christ but more likely referring back to his own sins, or his desire to be “more sinless.”)