JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Psalm 19

Q2. (Psalm 19) Verses 1 to 6 seem very different from verses 7 to 13, but there is a common thread that relates the first part to the second part. What is it? In what way does the psalmist seem to bask in God's Word? Have you ever felt that way? How does the psalmist's wonder in creation seem to affect him in this psalm? In the classic prayer of verse 14, what is David asking God to do?

I would say the link between the 2 is the way God speaks to us, one through the majesty of His Creation and the other through the Word written for us.

Dave gets his fill through the Word of God, as Jesus said that we do not live by bread alone but from every word that comes from God. You can tell David is living on the bread of life.

I have on occasion

David is asking that his prayers be pleasing to God

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the common thread from verses 1-6 and verses 7-13 is that God remains and will forever remain majestic and glorious through sight (his creation) and through his word (the bible). The psalmist is saying, to what I understand, that there is no excuse in the world to deny God's power and existence when you look up at the sky, and then read the word that says the truth.

The psalmist is basking by simply stating how radiant and sweet the message is. How its precious more than gold and is perfect. Its almost as if he is just sitting there talking in a trance about how amazing God is. and how he suddenly feels not worthy enough to go further, unless he discerns his sins and asks for forgiveness.

I feel that way all the time. I'm not perfect, but I know that the glory of god is present and that I can be forgiven and live a life to serve and be his friend.

As I have mentioned before, the psalmist is so caught up in the moment of God's attraction that he suddenly feels not worthy enough to go on without asking for forgiveness of his own sins, willful sins, great transgressions and errors.

I believe the psalmist is asking God to renew his mind, soul and body so that his mouth can speak the words of his heart and that it is pleasing to God. That not only should he talk the talk but also live it out in his own heart and walk.

• 1 month later...

Q2. (Psalm 19) Verses 1 to 6 seem very different from verses 7 to 13, but there is a common thread that relates the first part to the second part. What is it? In what way does the psalmist seem to bask in God's Word? Have you ever felt that way? How does the psalmist's wonder in creation seem to affect him in this psalm? In the classic prayer of verse 14, what is David asking God to do?

I need to bask in His word; I'm a first class sinner and prove it altogether too often. If we bask in His word with our mind, then our mind can't be sinning. So keeping a prayerful hear and mind is a way to avoid sin. I find verse 13 just a s important as 14; David is asking God's help to avoid or lower his level of sinning.

Comparing vs. 1-6 and 7-13. Both refer to the Word of God but manifest in different ways. Vs. 1-6 the Word is every part of His creation and Vs. 7-13 the Word as written in the laws statutes, precepts, commands, ordinances. Both are tangible demonstrations of His generous love.

The writer loves the Word of the Lord in all forms because they are precious, sweet, and promise reward. (I love the Word of God mainly because it is true, my compass to follow that leads to a sweet and precious victory.)

David wants to be purged of transgressions.

David ultimately desires to be both inwardly and outwardly pleasing to God and aligned perfectly with His will.

• 2 months later...

The first part of this Psalm describes Heaven and the sky. God's creation is perfect. The sun warms our planet and enables our crops to grow. It is just the right distance from Earth to enable man to survive.

David then goes on to relate the perfection of the 10 commandments as well as the instructions of the Lord. They are perfect, just as the sun and the earth are perfect.

In verse 14 David is asking the Lord to keep his thoughts and words pure, and untainted by selfish desires.

• 1 month later...

The common thread is God himself and His glory, from 1-6 it talks about God's glory and 7-13 it is why He is glorious.

The psalmist seems to bask in God's word just by enjoying and reflecting on who God is. The thoughts echo and back up each other giving the psalm a steady yet powerful flow. It is obvious that the Psalmist is in awe of God's glory. I have begun to feel this too as I get deeper into the word and thinking about God and all the miracles He has and will perform.

The psalmist's wonder in creation affects him because it draws out the praise from inside his soul. He cannot deny God's might, power and beauty which is not even half reflected in creation.

The psalmist is asking God to accept his words of his heart and the meditation of his heart, in essence, look past his faults into the person God had made him to be and forgive him so God can bless him with his presence.

• 1 month later...

http://www.joyfulheart.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=652

• 3 weeks later...

The common thing that relate the parts are the word of God.That his word adorn and the word warn the wicked and it also tell the rightous to not to turn from doing good.Daivd is saying he want the words that is in his heart and that come out of mouth be right and that God accept it.There are so much that come out of our month that we think that God is accept it and he not and Daivd want his words to be right with God.And that God is his rock and his redeemer

• 3 weeks later...

How magnificent the Lord is. By telling all that the Lord does for those who apply the word to there lives. Yes I have felt that way before. You can see God in nature, that just didn't happen it was created.I am sure he was in awe of it all. He asks God to let all he (David) does bring glory to Him.

• 2 weeks later...

The common thread of both sets of verses 1-6 and 7-13 is that the glory of God is on full display every minute of every hour of the day wherever we may find ourselves.

The psalmist is overwhelmed by the Glory of God. In a spectacular display, God reveals himself in the beauty of holiness both through nature and his word.

I often consider the great works of God and how we often conveniently forget how God has provided for our every need. From the rising to the setting of the sun. God is available saint or sinner if we would but receive and recognize his greatness. It's almost too much to comprehend sometimes.

The psalmist paints a picture of how God's Creation is always at the ready to speak to of God's Glory and majesty. In verses 1-6, The psalmist reflects on how God reveals himself through his Creation. When we just gaze upon the work of God's hands (not ours) he can't help but be overtaken by the greatness of what God has done. There is no place where we can go and no slice of time we can experience where God's creation is not speaking to us without saying one word.

In verses 7-13, the psalmist sings of the integrity, sweetness and value of the Word. God's word causes us to reflect on where we fall short bringing us to a realization of where we need correction.

In verse 14, the psalmist is making an expression that he wants to please God through his verbal expressions and his inner most being. He wants his words and outward expressions to match his what's really in his heart. He doesn't want the testimony and praise he offers God to be to be rejected.

• 3 weeks later...

Verses 1 to 6 relate to the works of God and vs 7 to 13 to the Words. Do our words and actions match? or are we diametrically different that we cease to be a testimony to other. Our works and words should go together.

In vs 14 David is asking God to help him keep a check on his thoughts and words so even unconsciously he would not say something that is unacceptable to God... if God is my redeemer, strength my life... it needs to reflect in my walk and my talk.

Q1:The relation of the two passages is how God speaks to us. First, through his creation and how can we all not see this. Second is through his written word given to us through the Bible.

Q2: The psalmist basks in God's word the same way we bask in the sunlight. When I bask in the sunlight I feel the presence of God. The warmth of the sun gives me joy just as the word gives me joy. The sun gives me light and lifts my mood just as the word of the Lord does.

Q3: Creation affects the psalmist in the way it should affect all people: Creation proves there is a God, there is a loving, kind God who takes the time to take care of each person. Take any part of creation and try to figure it out and we will see that God's hand had to be the one who made it.

Q4: David is asking God to lead his personal worship so that it is pleasing to God. He wants God to delight in his worship of him.

• 4 weeks later...

PSALM 19

What is the common thread between 1-6 and 7-13?

Verses 1-6 is David's admiration of God's wordless speaking throught the beauty of creation, and verses 7-13 is his admiration of God's written Word. I feel as this entire psalm increases in depth, just as the style of psalms were explained - a verse is often written like "this.... but more than that, this..." - I forgot the proper terminology. But I feel this whole psalm continues with more than that... more revelation and more revelation. David begins with what all mankind can do every day - he looks at the sky. He admires God's glory in what He sees... how faithful is God to speak through creation! More than that - He speaks every day and every night! More than that - He goes beyond the boundary of languages and speaks to every heart! ... and eventually, more than that - He has specifically written out His heart in words concerning our life! And David continues to write out the benefits, the more and more revelation that He receives of God's goodness to speak to us.

In what way does the psalmist seem to bask in God's Word?

One can only realize benefits of something and praise its value as greater than gold and sweeter than honey if that individual truly has spent time basking in the presence of that which is mentioned. It is the same as with an individual - I can only testify to the greatness of an individual if I witness their influence on my life and the lives of others and find enjoyment in their presence. That is what David has found with the Word. He is able to truly testify that it converts the soul, makes wise the simple, rejoices the heart, enlightens the eyes, etc. He cannot claim these things if he had only heard them to be true, and didn't experience the truths himself. And as he has experienced these benefits, as anyone would, he desires more of the Word! More than gold, more than honey - the riches of God's Word are inexhaustible!

Have you ever felt that way?

Not enough! I've tasted; but I've only begun to see the benefits of God's Word. I honestly tell God that I don't understand how David feels here, and I sometimes feel the opposite way - that His Word is boring and dry. But God is faithful to keep bringing me back to the Word, to dig until I experience the wells of joy in His law!

How does the psalmist's wonder in creation seem to affect him in this psalm?

As it is in the beginning of the psalm, it seems to be the spark of praise in David's heart that sets him aflame with admiration at God's Word. Anyone - even an athiest - can be in awe by looking at the sky. No one can deny the beauty in a sunset or sunrise. David chose to believe that it is God Who created this sky, and God Who speaks through this sky. The Lord then honors his faith and praise by pouring more revelation into his heart, and he maintains the wonder of God's glory throughout the rest of the psalm.

In the classic prayer of verse 14, what is David asking God to do?

David pours out His heart in praise in the previous verses, which creates a feeling of God's worth - He is altogether wonderful, faithful, merciful, if only in the way He speaks to us - therefore He is altogether worthy of an admiring and worshipful people. How can we look to a glorious and pure God and speak words and think thoughts that are not reflective of His nature and honoring to His name? It is what He deserves. But in David's humanity and humility, he admits he cannot maintain this perfection of purity before God in His own strength or righteousness. He needs the Lord Who is his strength, Who is his Redeemer to perform this purity of heart in and through him, and therefore asks for help.

• 1 month later...

A2. (Psalm 19). David compares the benefits we get from the sun to the benefits we get from Gods law.

I could not survive without the laws of God.

David compares the awe inspiring Sun to the word of the Lord. Then he hopes that the Lord is pleased with his poem.

Q2. (Psalm 19)

Verses 1 to 6 seem very different from verses 7 to 13, but there is a common thread that relates the first part to the second part.

What is it?

In the first part there is no speech, only the marvels of creation. When we see how great and complex creation is, then we will realize how much greater is our Creator! Here God is revealed as the Mighty One, the God of Power. In the second part we have

• 2 weeks later...

He views the Word as more precious than gold and sweeter than honey. Yes, I have had times when the Word was the sweetest thing in my life. He sacrifices everything he has to be pleasing to Christ. He is asking God to make his words and his thoughts pleasing to God.

• 4 weeks later...

The "common thread" between the verses is the Word of God. God's Word is constant it stands forever and can never be changed or altered.

The Psalmist acknowledges the Word of God as being True and last forever. He wants to enjoy the comfort felt as he meditates on God's Word. Yes, I love God, I need more of Him. He is my all and all!

(Verses 12-13) There is cleansing in and through the Word of God. The question is asked, "Who can understand his errors"?

One can never understand the depth of one's sin. If one could. one could never cleanse one's self from sin. We as Christians must be willing to willing to seek and allow God's Word along with the Holy Spirit to examine our hearts, minds and behavior. This allows our sins to be exposed, thus we should turn from them. When we do this God will forgive us (God is "faithful and just to forgive our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness." It is a choice we must make.

Allowing God Word to search and cleanse our hearts and minds brings healing and cleansing of current sins and prevent future trespasses in our lives. When God forgives us He no longer remembers our sins (Jeremiah 31:34).

Part 2 (Verse 14) God is important in our lives. God sees and hears everything we do and say. David realized these facts. He realizes that he needs God to over see and guide his innermost and outward words. He is saying, let my spoken words and murmurs be pleasing to you Lord. The heart does not always meditate on godly things. Thus, David is asking for guidance and protection in everything he thinks or speaks; "Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks" (Matthew 12:34). Paying special attention to what is going on in our hearts, we will eradicate negativism, evil criticism and bitterness.

We should always ask God to cleanse, forgive, and give us words that are of blessing and praise to speak.

(Psalm 19) Verses 1 to 6 seem very different from verses 7 to 13, but there is a common thread that relates the first part to the second part. What is it? In what way does the psalmist seem to bask in God's Word? Have you ever felt that way? How does the psalmist's wonder in creation seem to affect him in this psalm? In the classic prayer of verse 14, what is David asking God to do?

I believe the common thread between the 2 parts is obeidence to God the Creator and Master of all.

God has commanded the creation of the heavens to do exactly as He controls and it is in accordance to how he wants it. If we think about this and add the laws of His Word to our lives we will be in accordance to his will and be blessed as well. What God has said will last forever and we that heed to it shall be a blessing unto our Majestic Lord.

Knowing that God is in total control over His creation affects us by knowing he has our well being as his concern. He will protect us and keep us. Everything has to listen to his command and when it concerns us he is our Heavenly Father caring for us as a parent. Not just from the nature but also from the things that are of this world.

So many people quote this verse 14, let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in thy heart. Most times our heart and mind aren't lined up. I want to study God's Word and Know it to apply to my life that what I think will be in my heart. The psalmist knew the Lord from spending so much intimate time with him, just by looking at the cretion being still to let God. I want to spend that time of quality time with God, that I can live and breath his name.

• 5 months later...

Q2. (Psalm 19) Verses 1 to 6 seem very different from verses 7 to 13, but there is a common thread that relates the first part to the second part. What is it?

The first six verses tell of the heavenly bodies speaking forth God's Word, wordlessly and the beauty and majesty of God's creation. The second part speaks of the perfection and beauty of God's written Word, which is as inspiring as what he sees when he looks to the heavens.

In what way does the psalmist seem to bask in God's Word?

David writes very personally about how God's Word affects him....using enthusiastic phrases (he describes the rising of the sun as "a bridegroom coming out of his marital chamber") He describes the written Word as "sweeter than honey", and more desirable than fine gold. He speaks of conviction of sin after reading and meditating on God's Word.

Have you ever felt that way?

Yes. I love and cherish His Word...it's truly a lamp to my feet and a light to my path....my daily bread! Jesus is the Word....and I receive life, love, inspiration, correction, hope, wisdom....from reading and meditating on what I read. It draws me into worship and intimacy with Him.

How does the psalmist's wonder in creation seem to affect him in this psalm?

His wonder has drawn him into worship and intimacy with his Creator. His psalm is an outpouring of his love, awe and respect for the Lord.

In the classic prayer of verse 14, what is David asking God to do?

He's asking the Lord to direct and find his speech to be acceptable, just as He's found God's Word to be pleasing and inspiring to such an extent that it has moved him emotionally and spiritually. He wants his outer actions to reflect the inner purity he finds in the word of God.

• 2 months later...

The common thread seems to be "God speaks" (either through His creation or through His Word.

The psalmist seems to bask in God's Word by describing it and by enumerating its benefits. (God's Word is perfect, trustworthy, right, radiant, pure, sure, righteous, precious, sweet) He has obviously had experience with God through His Word and therefore 'knows' the benefits personally. He has needed to be revived, needed wisdom, needed spiritual sight and needed the security of sure and righteous ordinances. The seems to be an unstated comparison with precepts that don't work (that are not perfect, trustworthy, right, pure, sure, righteous, precious, or sweet).

God's Word keeps me encouraged, humble, and strengthened. It answers questions about decisions and keeps me on the right path.

The wonder of creation and the effect on the psalmist: I love how the psalmist doesn't take God's creation for granted and instead almost shouts praise ('The heavens DECLARE the GLORY ...'). He also realizes that this same 'declaration' from God is available to everyone, every where.

David wants to be found worthy by God. In essence, he says, "May my speech please You as much as Your speech pleases me."

• 4 weeks later...

I think both His creation and His word speak to us. V1-6 show us how God's creation speaks to us to declare his glory and greatness and vs. 7-11 show us how God's word speaks to us to declare his wisdom.

The psalmist revels in the word of god. He can't say enough about its benefits which he obviously reaps; they refresh, give wisdom, bring joy, open his eyes, etc...

His wonder in creation has caused him to worship God by proclaiming His greatness. He seems very excited about what he is saying-almost as if he is shouting.

He ends by asking God to accept his worship offering. I'm not sure but i think he might be referring to the declaration he just made in the previous verses- asking that those words he just proclaimed (his worship offering) be accepted by God.

• 4 weeks later...

The analysis of this psalm was so helpful.

It seems to me that David, when looking up at the skies and seeing the vastness and the orderliness of the Heavens...how the sun rises regularly, he is humbled.

David was humbled by God's glory.

Humbled, he turns to the Word of God...in it's perfection.

One of the things the Word and particularly "the Law" does, is it shows us God's perfect way. Sometimes we are not aware of our errors, yet other times we stubbornly choose to follow our own desires.

At this point, between verse 13 and 14, there seems to be abreak, a pause to reflect on the sins we want to confess.

The psalm ends with a prayer..... that the words of my mouth and the thoughts of my heart.....which I think is the confession....the specific words that we could say between verse 13 and 14. The prayer asks God to hear the confession and redeem us from judgement.

This psalm is lovely and makes perfect sense to me now. I want to use it in my prayer life as a confessional.

Just a side note: verse 14 is one of the first Bible verses that I encouraged Sulmi to memorize because I saw it as asking God to help control our speech...but now I understand the context and see it having a much deeper meaning.

The common thread is the subject of adoration.

The psalmist recognizes God's authorship and authority in Scripture.

The opening line that the law is "perfect" sets it in an entirely different category than and other written material. As we worship the LORD basking, washing, soaking in the written Word unifies are hearts with His purposes.

The tangible worship of this song acknowledging, surrendering, and seeking God permeates each of the three sections. It seems that getting in a right place before the Creator, Law, and the Redeemer is the primary focus of the psalter.