JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Psalm 19

In the first part, God's goodness and greatness is reflected through his wonderful creation. One only has to look and marvel at the nature to know and comprehend God's greatness. In the second part, written words describe God's greatness and glory. Although these powerful and meaningful words are written by men but they are God breathed. So, it speaks and says only the truth.

The Psalmist places great value to His words. For him, it is better than all the treasures of the world and even sweeter than the best of honey.

Yes, it gives such joy when the word comes alive and touches my heart in the most amazing way. It tastes so good that you want to read the particular words again and again and sometimes, you want to sing a particular verse from the bible repeatedly.

The psalmist's amazement over the creation must have affected him greatly. Rather than just sitting and enjoying the creation, it made him look at himself- his sins, his errors. Sometimes, we find it hard to look at our faults but we are able to identify them by reading His word.

The verse 14 is a personal declaration by David to God that he wants to live a pleasing life. For David, pleasing God, who is his protector, means guarding what he says and thinking only of good things in his heart - as by required by His words.

Rajes :rolleyes:

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The common thread relating the first part to the second. Is God and all that he is. (Infinite). In nature and all that Our Heavenly Father has created. By describing just how infinite Gods creations are. as well as his teaching. They never change but are everlasting. Yes, always in awe of Gods beauty of the sky. Amazes me ast the beauty of our sky. With the various shades of blue being atrtacked by the various shapes and shades of white clouds. Then brightened by the yellow rays of sun. Which as the day progresses . Becomes shades of orange to eventually black of night. The beauty lasts forever. The psalmist is affected in the heart by the wonders of creation. Filled with knowledge,joy,love,compassion almost overwhelmed. With all htat our Heavenly Father has shared with us. As well made for us to observe. An to share with all our brothers and sisters. David isd asking God to fill him with his divine Love & Grace. To show and guide himwith every aspect of his soul and life. That his all is acceptible to God. Everything he does and think are as God would want and hewould do. To be as Christ like as humanly possible.

The first six verses show how creation in all of its splendor tells of who God is. God as revealed thru nature. The next section of verses speaks of the Word of God--what it is and does. God as revealed thru his Word. I believe that as David marvels at the creation and how vast and infinite God is, he feels all the more smaller and unworthy. The first time I rode in a plane as an adult and looked about the clouds, I felt very close to God and a quiet reverence fell over me. I have basked in His Word and love the expression, "taste and see that the Lord is good." Sometimes in reading the word, I just want to close my eyes and say "Yum"---it is so good to the soul that you can taste it. David is asking that his words and meditations be an acceptable before the Lord. That can only be done as God responds to his request in the previous few verses to be cleansed from sin and faults.

Q2. (Psalm 19) Verses 1 to 6 seem very different from verses 7 to 13, but there is a common thread that relates the first part to the second part. What is it? In what way does the psalmist seem to bask in God's Word? Have you ever felt that way? How does the psalmist's wonder in creation seem to affect him in this psalm? In the classic prayer of verse 14, what is David asking God to do?

the common thread and wonderous and greatness, in the 1st part to nature & creation, in the 2nd part to God's word/law the Bible.

The psalmist bask in God's word with wonder, believing it to be more precious than Gold and sweeter than honey.

Often times, God's word is a most helpful tool for me. It can lift from depression, help with making choices, directs me as a parent, and so much more. There is nothing else in my life that can offer me all that God's word does, so too me it too is more precious than gold & far sweeter than honey.

The psalmist is affected by the wonder of creation in that he realizes that in all of it's splender it's no where as awsome and wonderous as God or His word. It humbles him into seeing that he is not perfect and contains a sinful nature himself.

The psalmist is asking God to help direct his words and his heart so that they are in accordance to God's word.

Q2. (Psalm 19) Verses 1 to 6 seem very different from verses 7 to 13, but there is a common thread that relates the first part to the second part. What is it?

The Word of God and the written Word of God

In what way does the psalmist seem to bask in God's Word?

Meditation

How does the psalmist's wonder in creation seem to affect him in this psalm?

The greatness of God

In the classic prayer of verse 14, what is David asking God to do?

Direct his thoughts and words in accordance to God's Word

the first part has to do with the written word of God and in the second part has to do with the laws that God has and had given to each of us.The psalmist seem to bask in God's Word by meditating in what his sins were and how He sees the glory of God,yes in ways i have felt that way cause I want to be closer to the Lord in so many different ways.The wonder of creation is that it is pleasing and acceptable to the Psalmist that God has done this,it is a marvelous and wonderful experience,it is a humbling experience and we can pray with a pure heart.In verse 14,what David is asking for is that may his Words adn the mediation of his heart be acceptable to Christ in His sight.He prays that may his words each day on on the inside of his heart which God only sees be corrected and right so God may see

Q2. (Psalm 19) Verses 1 to 6 seem very different from verses 7 to 13, but there is a common thread that relates the first part to the second part. What is it? In what way does the psalmist seem to bask in God's Word? Have you ever felt that way? How does the psalmist's wonder in creation seem to affect him in this psalm? In the classic prayer of verse 14, what is David asking God to do?

The common thread that relates the first part to second part of Psalm 19 is that God is revealing Himself, or speaking to us, both through His natural creation and through His written Word. Both reveal the glory of God. Both give joy to the heart of those who recognize the Creator of the Universe.

David declares God's word to be perfect, reviving the soul and is trustworthy. God's word make the simple wise and His precepts are right and give joy to the heart. His Word is light; radiant; endures forever; and righteous. His word is more precious and pure than gold. Sweeter than honey.

I feel this way now. I think that anybody who will read, study and apply God's word to their life will fall in love with the Word of God and feel exactly the way David did as expressed in this Psam.

David seems to be in total awe of God. He takes great delight in knowing God and looking to Him for direction and redemption.

In verse 14, David is giving himself over to God in all that he says, thinks and does (his total being).

Psalms 19 Verses 1-6 Proclaim the Glory of the God by Unspoken word Expressed in the Heavens (19:1)

b.The Glory of the Sun (19:2-4)

The perfection of God's Written Word (19:7-9)

a. The value & sweetness of God's Word (19:10)

b. The Word exposes and protects against Sin (19:11-13)

3 A prayer for a Pure Heart(19:14)

While 7-13 seems to make a shift from Heavens to Torah is actually the psalmist has been relating how God speaks Wordlessly through Creation and then he shifts to how Yahweh speaks through his written word. The awesome requirement of God in his Word the psalmist is conscious of his own inadequaties so he began with all creation narrowed to those who honor God's word and again to David and the reader. By ourselves we often can't discern our own errors. We have blind spots that keep us from seeing ourselves as others see us and how God sees us. In verse 14 David asks God to give him a pure heart inside and out that is pleasing to God.

The common thread would be God's word, spoken word and unspoken that is seen in creation. He basks in the sight of the heavens and the sun and also in the written word. Yes, I see God's glory revealed in the clouds, the sunrises and sunsets. His word is like a light in the darkness. His wonder and amazement overcome come him in this psalm. He asks that his words and his thoughts be pleasing to his source of strength and helper. He wants to be pure.

The common thread is that God's creation/law teaches us of Him and His glory, we don't have to have His written word to know of Him; although the written Word expands upon what we see when we study creation.

David realizes the value of the Scripture exceeds anything known to man, including the purest gold, and is therefore to be sought ernestly. In verse 14 David asks for the Holy Spirit to guide every aspect of his life, that he may please God. This is my daily prayer as well, and when I ask for that guidance He never fails.

Yes, there have been many times when I, too, have been explicitly aware of the glory of God, as He reveals Himself to me through His creation; I have also known the delight (amazing!!) that He feels in me (although not nearly as often as I am in awe of Him).

This psalm speaks about God's great power, the power that created the heavens and the earth. The psalm speaks about his commitment to us his created beings whom he loves. His speaking to us, his joining to us. We are joined by our reverence to him, our worship and praise for his creation and our carrying out of his word in our hearts and lives. Daily we seek him and he joins us and we are renewed. Our prayer is the same may the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable to you, my Holy God, my loving Redeemer.

I think the common thread that ties verses 1-6 to 7-13 is the glory of God. Not only is His glory revealed in nature, His creation, but also in His written Word. Just as creation inspires awe and wonder at His creativity and might, God's Word inspires that same awe and wonder, especially when we see how much He, a powerful and holy God, loves us.

The psalmist seems to bask in God's Word by continuing in his observations of what the Word does in the lives of humans. He doesn't just say something like, "God's Word is great and does a lot of good for those that read it." He gets specific. It is obvious that the psalmist has experienced the reviving, wisdom-creating, joy bringing, insight giving power of the Word. I definitely feel as the psalmist does about the Word. Once you really dig in to the Word and are given guidance by the Holy Spirit, the Word comes alive and changes you from the inside out.

The psalmist's wonder in creation seems to inspire him to think of the glory of the Lord and His Word. When he looks at creation, he sees the Lord. I think there are so many things that the Lord has created for us that we take for granted. In not seeing the Lord in what He has created, many beautiful things have been corrupted.

In the prayer that closes Psalm 19, the psalmist is asking God to continue His work in him in order for the Lord to be shown to others through the psalmist. In the words of the New Testament, the psalmist is asking the Lord to help him die to self and be a living sacrifice, giving up his worldly thoughts for the higher thoughts of the Lord. I came across this prayer in an earlier reading of Psalms and made that a prayer. It definitely helps you to keep your priorities straight.

Psalm 19

The common thread is God revealing who He is through creation, in verses 1-6 and through the law, or His Word in verses 7-13. His creation is what He does and His Word is who He is.

The psalmist is meditating in God's Word, thinking about His laws and why they are perfect. He is basking in the absolute perfection of the Word.

I have basked in the laws of the Lord, epecially in Psalm 119. The Lord's laws are perfect, designed to protect us and to make us wise. When obeyed these laws will give us an abundant life.

The psalmist is affected by who God is through the wonder of creation. He is in amazement with God's glory and his love and passion for God is expressed in his writings.

The psalmist asked God to find him acceptable in His sight and to give him the strength to overcome his sins.

The common thread is God's word. In the first six verses it tells us all about the wonders of God. The next verses tells us the instructions from God.

To bask means that he delights in the warmth of God's word.

Yes I have felt this way. As long as I stay under God's leadership things go smoothly.

David is ablt to turn to God's word and meditate on it. He gets excited about being in God's word too.

David is asking God to guide him constantly so that he will be in total obedience and will continue to obey God.

I think the verses seem very different, but are a lot the same. I feel we can get the same message from 1 to 6 or 7 to 13, It is all about the wonders and glory of God. Verse 14 David is asking God to be pleased with his daily thoughts and words that he uses to praise God.

In verses 1-6 we see the Glory of God through His works. Creation hhas no voice nor words but yet it displays the glory of the Creator. The Wor on the other hand is written and can be read and it is the Word of God which enlightens our eyes rejoices the heart makes us wise and restores our soul.The written Word can affect our lives and change us it has the Power of the Writer.The works of God and the Word of God arepowerful and show us His love for He has us in mind as benficiaries.The Psalmist is so caught up with God's Word God's Word brings us into an intimacy with Him where we want to be pleasing to Him after we realise who we are.The Psalmist realises that he would like to be close to the God of creation and follow His Word. He implores and one can sense the desperation where he desires that his words -that which can be heard and the meditations 0that which cannot be heard both will be pleasing in God's sight .Our gola in what we do say or think and feel should be pleasing to our God.

In vss 1-6 it talks of how God speaks through creation and vss 7-13 how He speaks through His written word. The common thread is HE SPEAKS! The Psalmist basks in God's word by describing the benefits of God's word--"reviving the soul" "making wise the simple" " giving joy to the heart" "giving light to the eyes" ; it "endures forever" and "is altogether righteous". Yes I am felt that way--it has revived me, given me joy and understanding. But best of all it has given me hope and taught me to trust because it endures forever and my spirit knows it is righteous. God's creation affects the psalmist (and me) because of the Creator Himself who created this majestic universe and world--it is glorious, but His glory and Word are even more desirous--more valuable and precious than gold and sweeter than honey. It is free to us and we need to eat of it. In vs 14, David is asking God to accept the praises and prayers from his lips and his heart. I want the same.

:rolleyes:Versse 1 to 6 relates to the second section by describing God in many different ways about his majestic power and praising his name and his characteristics. Also he is trying to praise the Word of God as the most high above all things. Yes I have ever felt like exalting his holy name above all other names. Hes enjoying the creation of God as holy before the eyes of all creatures. He is asking the Lord that What he speaks should praise the Lord in all ways, his thoughts of his heart and he declares that the Lord is His redeemer and his Rock.

:D

1. The common thread is the glory of God and his creation and the bond between them. The first proclaims the wonder of the heavens He created and the second the perfection and resoluteness of his commandments.

2. He basks in verses 7-11 by proclaiming how perfect and wise His commandments are. This follows into the next section where he exclaims how His law can be the psalmist

The common thread is that in verse 1-6 he speaks without words to us and in verse 7-9 he speaks to us through the written word. It is indeed beautiful how it shifts from unsaid to the said.

the word of god revives his soul, even a simple man becomes wise through his word and it gives him joy.

I have felt it so many times.

David asks that the words that come from his mouth be pleasing to god and his meditation also pleases him.He asks god to give him strength.

In the first half of this Psalm, David talks about how God speaks to us with His creation. The second half of the Psalm relates to how His written word speaks to us. Both can be just as condeming and heartfelt, but both have different roles to play. The first is all around us reminding us of our creator every moment of every day - yet we still forget! The second half talks about how perfect God's written Word is. Here David has a passion for God's Word and the wisdom His Word provides. David has an obvious love for God's Word and ALL it holds for us:- the wisdom, glory, righteousness, revival...

David sounds like he just wants to continuallly read and discover God's Word. I am in a place, at the moment, that relates to David in this way. I don't seem to have enough time in the day to study God's Word as much as I want to! I want to read more and more, to understand God's plans etc more. The more I learn, and read, the more I want to read and learn. I just want more - more wisdom, more understanding, more knowledge, MORE!!!

David is asking God to make his heart pure so that he is pleasing God for all the right reasons and not for selfish ones. He wants his heart, thoughts etc to be pleasing and acceptable in God's eyes! That should be the prayer we all want to pray - that God can take delight in our thoughts and actions because we aim to please Him!

In the first part of psalm 119 the psalmist is telling us how God speaks wordlessly through His creation.

In the second part of psalm 119 the psalmist shifts to how God speaks to us through His written word.

The psalmist seems to bask in God's word by telling us it is more precious than gold.

The psalmist's wonder at creation causes him to be conscious of his own sin.

David is asking God to keep him from willful sins.

It is how God communicates with us....silently through his creations and also through his Word.

In God's Word he sees perfection, trust, joy, wisdom, revival, radiance, light, pureness, endurance, sureness, and righteousness.

In verse 14 David is asking God to be his strength so that what is in his heart and what comes out of his mouth are both pleasing to God.