JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Psalm 19

I know that everything God spoke was created and made. God said let there be light and there were light so whatever God spoke it became reality. God work were showed by the fowls, sea, earth, stars and the creation of humanbeing and every other thing he spoke to be manifasted. also both speaks of the wonderful creation and law of the LORD. Make a long story short they are both speaking of the rejoice of the LORD. The psalmist bask in God's word by rejoicing and praising. Yes when they Holy Ghost comes upon me I began to speak and praise the LORD no matter where I am. I love praising the LORD and wanting so badly to learn more and more about Him.

In verse 14 David is asking GOD to let every word be guided and lead by HIM, because if they words he speak is lead and guided by GOD then everything we speak will be perfect to GOD.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q2. (Psalm 19) Verses 1 to 6 seem very different from verses 7 to 13, but there is a common thread that relates the first part to the second part. What is it? In what way does the psalmist seem to bask in God's Word? Have you ever felt that way? How does the psalmist's wonder in creation seem to affect him in this psalm? In the classic prayer of verse 14, what is David asking God to do?

The common denominator is God's word. The first 6 verses transmit God's word wordlessly through his creation. Look at the sky and get a glimpse of my vastness and power. And it is spoken in a universal language. That way God reaches everybody, something he always intended to do. It's the mission statement.("And he said to them, Go into all the world, proclaim the gospel to all the creation." Mark 16:15). In Verses 7-13 it's God's word again telling us of his glory. It's perfect, reviving, trustworthy, making wise the simple. Isn't it great? Have I ever felt as if I was basking in God's Word? I think I am doing it right now. But it is sobering and humiliating too because it is in such a contrast to our own imperfection, our "hidden faults", our "willfull sins".

Good thing we have someone to turn to. Someone who will support us, like a rock to stand on when the tide rises and someone who will bail us out when we are in trouble, someone who will redeem us.

The common thread between these verses is that they both speak of the wonder and glory of our God. Either through creation or His law. Both bring joy to us, one helps us to see a glimpse of His Glory and the other tells us how we can bring Him Glory. Every time I look at the Word of God He brings a joy, peace or conviction to me. Also, His Word helps me to see how I may have an intimate relationship with Him.

Just as nothing can hide from the radiance, glory and heat of the sun, nothing or no one can hide (or is not seen or touched by) from the glory of the Lord, His statutes, His law, His precepts, His commands, His ultimate love, grace and blessings.

He points out the goodness and the perfection of the Word and praises God for all the ways that it serves, guides, and directs the path of the follower.

I often feel closer to God when I am out in nature and can spend time in awe of His beautiful handiwork but my Bible is a special treasure, when I read the scriptures it is (most times) as if I can't get enough like I am starved for all it has to offer.

As he wonders about the best things of nature, he begins to compare those feelings to the way God's Word compares and the feelings it brings about.

I believe he is asking God to change him in thought as well as deed so that he can live a life that will be pleasing to God in every way.

Q2. (Psalm 19) Verses 1 to 6 seem very different from verses 7 to 13, but there is a common thread that relates the first part to the second part. What is it? In what way does the psalmist seem to bask in God's Word? Have you ever felt that way? How does the psalmist's wonder in creation seem to affect him in this psalm? In the classic prayer of verse 14, what is David asking God to do?

The common thread is that there is nothing hidden from God! His creations speak forth His greatness and the creator knows all and then as the psalm turns a bit we see that the Word Of God also brings forth great truths and that nothing is hidden. God knows the thoughts and intents of the heart and knows the secret sins that we are so often too blind to see - but the Word OF GOD will reveal it to us.

He knows that the Word of GOD will keep him and guide him in the directions that GOD wants him to go. He is assured and comforted in the fact that GOD is so great and that HE is able to take care of him.

He is asking God to keep his heart and mind, to keep him pure before the Lord and to strenghten him in heart and in actions.

He is talking about God's creation.

The psalmist desires the Word of God=wants to drink it in

God's creation is so awe inspiring that David cannot fathom the wonders of it.

David wants to please the Lord in everything. When he looks at God and his creation, David wants to glorify God.

Verses 1-6 tell of how God speaks to us silently through His creation. Wherever we look in our created world, up, down, or sideways, we see silent statements of the truth of God's glory and His love for us in giving us this creation.

In 7-13, this same awareness of God's abundant glory, love and the blessings He bestows, are spoken clearly to us through the scriptures, God's word.

David is so in awe of the wonderment, glory and power of God, he seems unable to think or speak of anything else, thankfully. God is definitely David's first priority in his life. David sounds full of joy and full of love for his Lord. David is asking God to totally control the words he speaks as he glorifies His Lord and asks God to stand watch at the doorway of his heart to safeguard David's love for Him -- that nothing will ever be allowed to enter his heart to weaken his love for his Lord. Yes, I have felt this way many times - when I finally let go of the reins and let God take over. His answer is always so much more than I asked for. He is wondrous!

To me it seems a bit like Show and Tell

It seems that the first 6 verses mean that God wants us to see Him. He is the Artist, the Master Sculptor, His is the Creation and the awesomeness of it all has inspired David to acknowledge the magnificence and beauty and to give God the Glory. The sun in this artistic masterpiece is the ruling image as it is ever present and everywhere and even if you can't see it...it is felt, it is heat and it is vital to life.

So after the see comes tell and it is all about the Word of God you cannot see it...you can, if tuned in and desirous, feel it and benefit from the heat of the Word which is essential/vital to living a Godly life. David wants this perfect life aligned to God, wants to make the right choices, wants forgiveness, cleansing of his soul through the Word of God.

It would appear to me that David is a bit concerned that maybe past/present mistakes might forfeit his chances of deliverance. He wants everything behind so he can be thoroughly cleansed and live his life as he knows God wants him to. You just can't hear the Word and do nothing...you have to hear it, understand it and follow through.

The mind and the mouth, his thought and speech, his meditations of his heart he needs to be acceptable to God and he prays for that. He wants to be overhauled, to allow the Word to inspire change and be effective in becoming like Christ. :unsure:

Verses 1-6 are proclaiming about the display of God's Glory, whereas verses 7-13 are more about man's perception of God's Glory, asking for God to preserve this perception so that it always glorifies Him. God's Glory is the common thread that runs throughout these verses. In the days when I used to be able to get away from all the distractions and disappear to the most remote places I could, I used to enjoy basking in this same environment...I was surrounded only by God's Glory, I brought nothing of the surrounding world with me, so there were no worldly distractions such as blaring radios etc.

The psalmist seems to be aware of his own insignificance in Creation, that he is powerless to prevent the pressures of the world from enveloping him and changing his actions. This is why he asks God to monitor his words and actions and to alert him when these things are not worthy of the God he loves and admires so much. The psalmist is fully aware that without God, he cannot withstand the ways of the world

:)

Thank you for your Quote. I too often fall into exactly that frame of mind as if I've overstayed my purpose. This definition of Faith is very meaningful to me.

In what way does the psalmist seem to bask in God's word?

The psalmist basks in God's word by making out time to meditate on the word of God. Aa he does this, he is overwhelmed by the character, attributes, laws, testimonies, status, commandments and judgement of God.

I have felt that way several times.

His wonder in creation makes him see the reality and the majestic nautre of God. Thus his love for God grew higher.

In the classic prayer of verse 14, David is asking God to be his redeemer and the source of his strenght.

• 2 weeks later...

The first 6 verses of psalm 19 show how God is revealed in his creation. His creation reveals Power, beauty, glory and attributes of God that show how awesome He is. Verses 7-13 on the hand look at the law of the Lord through his Word that is valuable and sweet. The link is that medidation in either the creation of God or His Word can bring to the surface, an overwhelming knowledge of God that in turn brings joy, peace in his presence.

In verse 14, David's desire and request are that he will please God in what he says with his mouth and what he ponders in his heart.

The common thread between the two is the Glory of God and his creation and the second part gives us instruction on hoe to live a Godly life. That what God created is just so AWESOME to look at and just to ponder on. Sometimes when you see things like spring flowers or new born babys I just think WOW they are just so perfect what a GREAT CREATOR we have. David is asking God to keep his mouth clean and to help him to be Christ like in the things he does and says.

• 2 weeks later...

Q2. (Psalm 19)

Verses 1 to 6 seem very different from verses 7 to 13, but there is a common thread that relates the first part to the second part. What is it? - The thread seems to be the glory, omnipotence and power of God through his creation, including man. Part I speaks to the "declaration and knowledge" of God, and part II lists and reveals that knowledge...law, statutes, precepts, commands, fear, ordinances.

In what way does the psalmist seem to bask in God's Word? In his summary..."they are more precious than gold...sweeter than honey" and through the acknowledgement of the nature of God...refreshing, trustworthy, right, radiant, enduring, sure, preciousness...the psalmist seems to "bask" in the nature of God. He is the "rock and redeemer..." A "bask" if I've ever heard one.

Have you ever felt that way? Yes. I have really connected with those elements of the bible that relate to the glory of God in his creation of people and places around us. There is great comfort in that connection that "refershes the soul"...and directs our "speech and heart" to feel ever more comfortable in the glory of God. It is a daily effort to find God regularly as revealed in the Holy Spirit, but that connection can be felt with more regularity with practice and committment.

How does the psalmist's wonder in creation seem to affect him in this psalm? Creation seems to be the catalyst for complete recognition in the glory and power of God.

In the classic prayer of verse 14, what is David asking God to do? To keep his thoughts, and words pure before God. In the thoughts and voice we have each day, we demonstrate our understanding of and incorporation of being Christ-like in our mortal lives. "...may the words of my mouth and meditation of my heart be acceptable..." reveals that it is only through our thoughts, meditations, actions can we truly be close to and demonstrate those qualities of God that we desire in our own lives and for our salvation in peace.

• 2 weeks later...

1. God speaks through creation, and God speaks through his word. Both are wonders of God and his greatness.

2. Basking in God's word by reflecting on what he says, and the benefits of his word. For example, the first part of the verse is God, the second part is the benefit in each verse. I feel I have had some "basking" in God's word. It is something that once you have, you don't want anything else.

3. The wonder of creation is but a small example of God's power, glory and all encompasing control. It makes the psalmist feel very small in comparison.

4. V 14 is asking God to help me be a better person than I can be by myself. Help me correct what I don't even see needs correcting. Let me do nothing that isn't pleasing to you alone.

I am finding these questions helpful. Even rewording what is said helps me understand it better. I am excited that one by one (ok, only 2 now) these psalms are starting to make sense to me. I can see how comforting they can be.

The heavens proclaim the magnificence of God! They declare God's handiwork throughout the universe. They proclaim God's divine power and His existence, He is our creator. The skies display His craftmanship, the sun burst forth like an eager bridegroom, thrilled with his good fortune. The LORD is truly the keeper of our souls. He revives, makes wise, brings joy, gives insight, is pure and fair. His ways are more desirable than gold and sweeter than honey. He is our God and He loves and cares for us dearly.

• 1 month later...

Q2. (Psalm 19) Verses 1 to 6 seem very different from verses 7 to 13, but there is a common thread that relates the first part to the second part. What is it?

I believe the common thread in these verses is the Glory of God.

In what way does the psalmist seem to bask in God's Word?

By meditation and Praise.

Have you ever felt that way?

Yes, I have felt the peace of His Presence in my life.

How does the psalmist's wonder in creation seem to affect him in this psalm?

He is in awe of God

• 2 weeks later...

The common thread that relates the first part of Psalm 19 to the second is glory and perfection. The psalmist seems to bask in God's word by speaking of His law, His precepts, His statutes, His ordinances, and His commands. Yes, I have felt that way. I have felt revived, that I am wiser than I should be with the limited formal education that I have, able to see more clearly, and joy to my heart when things seem to be falling apart around me. David's wonder in creation seems to affect him profoundly. he gives creation the ability to speak without words, just by its action. "The heavens declare...they pour forth speech....they display knowledge..." It is almost as if he is saying that the creation worships God.

In the classic prayer of verse 14, David is asking God to control the words of his mouth and the meditation of his heart. Personally, I have realized that I need to pray verses 12-13 just as much. I am certainly not aware of all of my hidden faults (but some of my friends are more than willing to point them out!) :rolleyes: I need God's forgiveness for even my hidden faults. Willful sins. I would also have that they wouldn't rule over me. I'm grateful to my Savior, that as I'm ready to see them, he cleanses and enables. I like the promise David makes: "Then I will be blameless, innocent of great transgression."

Q2. (Psalm 19)

Verses 1 to 6 seem very different from verses 7 to 13, but there is a common thread that relates the first part to the second part. What is it? In what way does the psalmist seem to bask in God's Word? Have you ever felt that way? How does the psalmist's wonder in creation seem to affect him in this psalm? In the classic prayer of verse 14, what is David asking God to do?

The first part of the psalm is seen to glorify the Lord through His perfect creation. To remind us of His greatness and His glory and splendour in His perfect creation to make everything perfectly right for us humans to live in. The second part speaks about a God who truly is fair, just, loving and kind o us, His creation. This also brings in a perfect praise and worship to the Almighty.

In this life on earth, when everything seems not the way we want it to be, we do fail to see the greatness of the Lord before we actually drown in self pity of ourselves. I have had that experience where I did not look up to the Most Mighty God we have who waits to listen to us. We are His unworthy creatures that He so loves, and we must come humbly to the throne of the Lord, seeking His Love, guidance and His will in our lives. When we do this and always seek Him, He shall let His Will be clear to us and we are rid of those confusion due to our ignorance previously.

David seems to humbly plead to God that His prayer be acceptable to the Most Magnificent God. It is to humble ourselves to the Lord, knowing we, unworthy as we are, have the grace to come before Him, to praise and adore Him in His glory and splendour.

Shantha David

David compares the sun to God's word.Just as the sun gives joy to peopleGod's word gives life and joy to us. The commands of the Lord are radiant just as the rays of the sun are. Both are dependable and sure.. Both warm our hearts.

David feels that there can be nothing as precious in all the world as God's word. It is sweeter than honey, it endures,warmsand keeping His laws are rewarding.

Yes I have felt the same and do feel that many have to be reached for them to taste and see that the Lords is good.

David asks God that even his thoughts and words should be acceptable and pleasing to Him

The first 6 verses glorify God as the God of creation and tells us of the power and might of God and verses 7-13 inspire thoughtful worship in the beleiver as one enters into a covenant relationship with God. Gods creation reveal his knowledge and power, but His law tells us of His love and grace. The psalmist is giving a personal testimony of the goodness and grace of God to the obedient believer. When in divine accord with the will of God, and basking in His presence is a feeling akin to none other. We can revisit Psalm 8, when the psalmist reflects on the value God places on each of us. "What is man that you are mindful of him, mere humans that you should care for us?" When we think of all the ways that God shows his love for us, it is a truly humbling experience, it creates in us a desire to be worthy of that love. David is asking God to find him worthy of his place in the creation and His love and Grace.

0. .

Verses 1 - 6 deals with how God's Creation proclaims God's glory - unspoken Word of God.

Verses 7 - 13 deals with God's written Word

By basking in God's Word David is able to be awakened spiritually. We are able to know God not only through His Word but also by looking at His creations. Every time I see a sunset ( or even think about one) I get this warm feeling within just knowing God is near and He does paint a wonderful picture.

David asks God to help him to do all things that are pleasing to God either by word or by thought.

The common thread is the revelation factor, both reveal the Lord, God our God.Jesus himself is the Word who became flesh and is now our High Priest.

The psalmist basks in God's Word by listening to it, meditating on it and finally obeying it. He has implicitely accepted the Word, however in my own experience i am begining to see the greatness of His Word and hold on to His word.

The psalmist realises his own unworthyness when he stands before the measure of God's goodness and revelation.

In this wonderful and marvelous prayer David asks God to bring his own thoughts and words in line with God's own thoughts and words.

• 1 month later...

There is a common thread of wonder of God's revealation of Himself through his creation and His word. The Psalmist affirms his awe of Gods word as he does God's creation.

I live on a sea coast town and constantly see the changing force of the ocean. It makes me feel so small. I feel the Psalmist's wonder for God's creation every day.

The word "basking" brings up a visual picture where I not only see the Psalmist immersed but also not hiding any part of himself from God. By doing this he is asking God to look at him and see that his life and words and thoughts are what they should be.