JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Psalm 19

Hi Sisters! I loved learning about this psalm. Many connections were made clear to me in this study that I did not see on my own: that David saw God speak to him through creation (and to all people), as he did through God's Word, and again through His Holy Spirit, (searching the heart of even unconscious sins.) And the bridegroom (whose heat no one can escape) reminds me of the Son of Man, who is coming for His church. I love this psalm. I love the phrase that the commandments "enlighten the eyes."

Praise God.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that verses 1-6 of Psalm 19 are telling us how to glorify the beauty, power and necessity of our external world while verses 7-14 speak about how to take care of and glorify our inner self and actions. Ultimately verse 14 sums it up with the prayer to integrate what is within and what is surrounding us with a plea for the Lord to be in charge and save us when we stumble.

Can't you just see David out in the countryside, it is dark, he is looking up to the sky and thinking of how vast it is, probably thinking how small he is in comparison. Then his thoughts probably go to the creator of all this and God how awesome, majestic, totally unsurpassed He is...

Makes me want to get by myself and just meditate on our creator. The sky is huge, but God is larger still.

Verse 14...could very well be a "life verse" May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer.

• 2 weeks later...

Psalm 19 verses 1 to 6 expresses the creation of God and his unspoken word . They describe the majestic glory of God. The heavens speak about the majesty of God. The sun and the skies also reflect the beauty of God.

Psalm 19 verses 7 to 13 actually speak about the law of the Lord or the written word of God.By obeying God's word one is made wise and revives the soul.The word of God is a double edged sword which pierces through our hearts. It is reading it we can actually follow God because it takes away darkness of sin and brings forth light,.

Both the above have the common thread of the word of God spoken and unspoken. The entire psalm speaks about the glory of the heavens and the glory of his word.

Basking in Gods word means soaking our life in the Word of God,meditating on it and obeying it day and night

David had greatly realised the value of this majestic word of God and found it much much precious than gold or more sweeter than honey.

In psalm 14 David has come to the realisaton of the creation of God and his word. The majestic word of God must have exposed him to his sinful nature,therefore he prays a prayer of repentance asking God to make his words and the inner heart pleasing in His sight

When we bask ourselves in the presence of God meditate on His word ... we come to realise our sinfulness . Nothing is hidden form his sight. Though we make good prayers.... use words... as we come before God we stand exposed. therefore we feel we have fallen short before him.

David has surely exprienced the powerful word of God and therefore makes a prayer to God that all he says and meditates upon become acceptable in his sight.

The common thread that relates the first part to the second, is the first part speaks about God's awesome creation, His greatness - though unspoken it speaks of God's awesome presence & the second part is God speaking through His Word.

Oh David is simply enjoying the awesome presence of God's glory and greatness - He is basking in God's presence, worshiping him, listening to His word which is reviving his soul and enlightening him. and we too when we worship our Lord in spirit in truth experience his awesome joyful presence, - His word becomes flesh brings us hope and security, blesses us with wisdom and revives us.

God's word, His presence is like a mirror which helped the psalmist to understand his hidden faults to see his sin as a sin instead of an excuse. helped him to discern his thoughts and intentions of his heart. and this enabled David to pray to God that the words of his mouth will be pure, encouraging, edifying and his inner thoughts, the meditations of his heart to be pure and acceptable and pleasing to the Father. David knew that from the abundance of his heart only his mouth could speak and praise God - thus pleasing His God.

In Psalm 19 Verses 1 to 6 we see David expressing his joy looking at God's perfect creation. As a young Shepherd boy David watched the sky, the sun and all God's creation and sang songs of joy that filled his heart when he saw God's marvelous creation.

In Verses 7 to 13 David looks intently into God's laws, statutes, precepts and his ordinances. David's soul was revived as he soaked himself watching God's creation. David finds joy as he meditates on God's word and his soul is revived. God's perfection and awesome glory is revealed in verses 1to 6 and the same perfection is found in God's word in verses 7 to 13.

His glory is revealed in us as we walk in the light of his precious word and our life shines like the sun in the sky. God gets the glory looking at us human beings the creation of his hand when we make a choice to walk in the light of His word.

David saw the perfect glory of God revealed through his creation and God's laws that revived his soul. Joy inexpressible is revealed through God's creation and now David finds the same joy in meditating and obeying God's word.

Psalmist David is making an earnest prayer to the Lord through Verse 14. David found God's creation and God's laws pleasing to him. David now prays that his whole life becomes pleasing to the Heavenly Father. It becomes David's desire that the words of his mouth and meditation of his heart pleasing in God's eyes as beautiful as creation of God.

Verses 1-6 talks about the beauty of the creation by our creator, it were his words he spoke and the whole universe was created, which is so beautiful, here the psalmist is enjoying the beauty of the creation, from verses 7-13 it is the word of God again that the psalmist refers to that gives him the same rather much more joy when he listens and obeys the word of God, which God has commanded, because when God speaks to us and we listen to him he renews us a afresh in every area of our life to make it as beautiful as the work of his hands.

In this psalm David is enjoying praising the Lord and he is so lost as he is praising God that he feels everything around him is nothings, he finds gold also less compared to that feeling of God's presence & Gods word much pure and sweeter than honey which is suppose to be pure & sweet . David is thoroughly enjoying praising God and while he is enjoying the beauty of God's creation & his presence he gets conscious of himself being very small compared to God,he realises he is only a simple creation of God and God is so mighty,. He is enjoying this joyous feeling and does not want to loose this experience so he wants God to help him to be on Guard that unknowingly also he would not fall into sin.

In verse 14 Davids has understood what God wants of him and so he makes a prayer to God asking him to give him the grace to speak words that are pleasing to God and the when he mediates (praises & worships God) to experience him, cause only when God is pleased does he communicate to anyone who calls on him.

• 2 weeks later...

The hymn extolling the majestic 'glory of God' as displayed in the summer sun as it moves across the

cloudless sky from east to west (vv1-6) and 'the law of the Lord', which bless the lives of those who

heed it (vv7-13). The hymn completes the cycle of praise started in Ps 18- for the Lord's saving acts,

for his glory reflected in creation and his life nurturing law.

• 4 months later...

Verses 1 to 6 seem very different from verses 7 to 13, but there is a common thread that relates the first part to the second part. What is it? In what way does the psalmist seem to bask in God's Word? Have you ever felt that way? How does the psalmist's wonder in creation seem to affect him in this psalm? In the classic prayer of verse 14, what is David asking God to do?

The common thread is David being in awe of God’s communication. In verses 1-6, David reflects on how God speaks to us through His creation. Then, in verses 7-13, David writes on the power and significance of God speaking to us through His word.

David seems to really take in God’s word in this Psalm. He is “basking” in it by marveling at its greatness. It has the power to make weak the wise, make right the sinner, make humble the proud. David must have reflected on his own life in contrast with what God’s word does. I would do the same. For instance, in verse 7 (in NKJV) reads, “The law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.” Was David allowing the word of God to bring Him into full fellowship? Am I allowing God to bring me into full fellowship with God? This kind of thinking could and should continue through the rest of that passage (verses 7-13).

David’s reflection on God’s word and creation force him to think on the glory of God in contrast with his own failures. This, then, causes

David to evaluate the condition of the human heart. When he realizes how far his (and mankind’s, in general) heart is from the standards God set, he has no choice but to metaphorically, and possibly literally, fall on his face before God to seek forgiveness. David takes it even one step further, though, and asks for God to continually seek his heart and reveal any hidden or blatant sins that he may correct them and repair his relationship with God.

In verse 14, David sums up the entire Psalm praying that his inner and outer life will be pleasing unto God on which his life is anchored.

• 1 month later...

1.The verses 1-6 describe God's love and glory reflected in His creation of the universe. Verse 7-13 describe God's love and glory reflected in His laws. So the common thread between the two sets of verses is God's glory and love.

2. David basks in God's word by pondering it and applying it to his life and rejoicing and praising God for the reward this brings him.

3. I have felt this joy.

4. David's wonder in creation fills his heart with praise and yearning for God.

5. David wants to be a more perfect creation of God's himself, and asks for God's help in keeping him free from sin so that he will be.

• 1 month later...

Q2(PSALM 19)verses 1-6, seems very different from verses 7-13, but there is a common thread that relate the first part to the second part, what is it? in what does the psalmist seems to bask in God's word? have you ever felt that way? how does the psalmist's wonder in creation seems to affect him in this psalm? in the classic prayer of verse 14, what is David asking God to do. , 1,the first part tells us about the glory of God,and the second part given us the law, which will guide us to see the glory of God 2, it teaches us that, the psalmist fill comfortably on God's word. 3, Yes i felt that way, so far as am a christian, i stay on God's protection. 4, the psalmist wonder about his secret faults or sins,so he ask God to deliver him. 5,the psalmist want God to listen to his prayers, and be his strength and redeemer.

• 11 months later...

The thread that seems to run through this Psalms is the Creation and God's written Word...  We see the awesome of God and how He can work in our life.  Meditation of these verses can be very meaningful in my day to day walk and to others I come in contact with.  Praise the Lord in how He can enrich our life through His Word to effects others. :rolleyes: 

• 9 months later...

Q2(Psalm 19)

To me the common thread is Yahweh's awesome love for us-his people.Ceation showed us His power, his all-knowing what is good for us, his wisdom. He knew we would need sun and light and sounds of birds and the fragrance of flowers and it fills uswith the wonder and the joy of Yahweh. Likewise,He knew we would need the law to show us the error of our ways, it would make us wise, clean and enlighten our eyes, both would allow us to get to know Him better and to know His heart.

The way I saw David bask in this Psalm was to list all the wonderful things that would happen to us if we choose to adhere toYahweh's law and ways. We are sure to be blesssed by Him. Yes, I have experienced His joy.

His wonder in creation led David to expound on what Yahweh had created and write it...He seemed to be full of awe.

David was asking the Father; that the words he spoke and the thoughts he had/has in his heart would be

acceptqble and honoring to the Creator of heaven and earth.  That is my prayer as well

• 4 months later...

The Psalmist was speaking of the great expanse that God has provided for us to see his power and then he sifts to showing us his powerful word. The way that the psalmist seems to bask in God’s Word is that he talked about the great expanse before he talked about His word. He related Gods word to how the sun shines on us and can feel the rays just like God’s word.

Sometimes when I am having a down day I also like to bask in the sun and in God’s word. That just brings peace to my heart.

The Psalmist’s wonder in creation seems to affect him in this psalm because he can see God’s great works and he know that God has great things for him if he stays in his word.

In the classic prayer of verse 14 David is asking God to help him take care of outer being as well as his inner being.

• 2 months later...

~I see the common thread of the first two parts of Psalm 19 as being, how to live the beauty of God' s creation.

~ Basking in the God' s Word to me means feeling the warmth of God's love for us through the scripture. Not being able to get enough of it. Yes I have felt this way before.

~David's wonder of creation leaves no doubt to him whose hand created the world. Creation's design points to the Master Designer.

~David is asking God to make his words and thought favorable in God's eyes.

• 9 months later...

Q2. (Psalm 19) Verses 1 to 6 seem very different from verses 7 to 13, but there is a common thread that relates the first part to the second part. What is it? In what way does the psalmist seem to bask in God's Word? Have you ever felt that way? How does the psalmist's wonder in creation seem to affect him in this psalm? In the classic prayer of verse 14, what is David asking God to do?

The first half of the Psalm express God's glory in the heavens. "The heavens declare the glory of God;
    the skies proclaim the work of his hands" (v1).

Verse 7-13 express the written word of God- "The law of the Lord is perfect..."(v1). The common thread is that both revelations express the very nature of God and what he requires of his people. The psalmist "basks" in God's word by reflection on the "Law of the Lord"  and the benefit of the Law of the Lord to mankind "...refreshing the soul " (v7). The psalmst seems to be in awe of the sky and the heavens, just as he was in awe of the Law of the Lord. Paul interpreted it this way, by saying that God's invisible qualities, his eternal power and divine nate can clearly be seen in his creation, therfore man is without excuse (Romans 1:20). Consequently, the psalmist asks God- because he is in awe of him, to help him be pure in God's sight (v14).

Q2. (Psalm 19) Verses 1 to 6 seem very different from verses 7 to 13, but there is a common thread that relates the first part to the second part. What is it? In what way does the psalmist seem to bask in God's Word? Have you ever felt that way? How does the psalmist's wonder in creation seem to affect him in this psalm? In the classic prayer of verse 14, what is David asking God to do?

Verses 1-6 of this Psalm express the wonder of the heavens (the sky by day and by night). The psalmist expresses that they reflect the glory of God because he created them (V1b) - the heavens express the very nature of God (V1a). Verses 7-13 also express the nature and glory of God, through the written word of God- the Torah. Because of the "heavens" and the "law of the Lord", mankind may respond to God, or not. Romans chapter one puts it this way, that the creation expresses "his eternal power and divine nature"-therefore mankind is without excuse if God is not understood (Romans 1:20, writers paraphrase). The Psalmist is in awe of the word of God- perfect, revives the soul, trustworthy, gives joy to the heart, light to the eyes, endures forever, sure and righteous. The Psalmist asks God to keep his words and thoughts pure-so that he may honour and know his Rock and Redeemer (V14).

• 5 weeks later...

The first part of the Psalm referring to the Glory of God in the heavens and how it speaks all languages is God's way to reach everyone. If you take the time to study the constellations and the stars names it is the story of God's redemptive love. Then you transfer to His written Word with all of its beauty to guide and speak to us. God try's to speak to us in many ways.

Mediating and basking in God's Word helps to keep our thoughts in line with God's will, the descriptive way this Psalm talks about God's word fills me with joy.

I believe that the wonder of God's creation was something that happened as a result of mediating and observing which fills one with awe.

The last verse David wants God's help to keep his thoughts pure and on Him, in doing so it will keep him from straying.

• 3 months later...

The common thread between verses 1-6 & 7-13 is  God speaks.

though seen in all creation there is none more impressive than the majesty of the heavens, whose stars are not accidents of time, but rather Gods own handiwork. They sing an unending song of His Glory. the sun is an example of His glory, day and night each has knowledge to impart,, the former tells of his splendor life and warmth, the latter of mystery; they are like a choir singing to each other. The silence of the skies, speaks even to the deaf, the brilliance of the sun speaks even to the blind.

What way does the psalmist bask in Gods word?

In the joy and refreshing the soul experiences when staying in The Word. The perfection of Gods laws gives wisdom to the simple,and revelation of being in full fellowship with God., brings strength, and a feeling of humility to a great and marvelous God. It shines clear an gives light illuminating our paths.both creation and Gods laws are witness to His glory.

Have you ever felt this way?

all the time but especially when faced with tests and trials that seem unbearable to . Mediating on Gods creation and His word, and reflecting on past victories he brought me through revives , refreshes my spirit enabling me to press on.

How does the psalmist wonder in in creation affect him?

The beauty and wisdom of Gods creation spoke to his inner being. Gods majesty and splendor in both creation and His laws, shows His eternal presence, His righteousness and faithfulness.

what is David asking for? 

For purity of heart and boldness to openly declare his faith to others of his faith in an awesome God..That God may find delight in his sacrifices of praise and adoration as he tries to please Him and for God to be his strength and to rescue him from slavery both the temporal and the spiritual

though seen in all creation there is none more impressive than the majesty of the heavens, whose stars are not accidents of time, but rather Gods own handiwork. They sing an unending song of His Glory. the sun is an example of His glory, day and night each has knowledge to impart,, the former tells of his splendor life and warmth, the latter of mystery; they are like a choir singing to each other. The silence of the skies, speaks even to the deaf, the brilliance of the sun speaks even to the blind.

In the joy and refreshing the soul experiences when staying in The Word. The perfection of Gods laws gives wisdom to the simple,and revelation of being in full fellowship with God., brings strength, and a feeling of humility to a great and marvelous God. It shines clear an gives light illuminating our paths.both creation and Gods laws are witness to His glory.

all the time but especially when faced with tests and trials that seem unbearable to . Mediating on Gods creation and His word, and reflecting on past victories he brought me through revives , refreshes my spirit enabling me to press on.

The beauty and wisdom of Gods creation spoke to his inner being. Gods majesty and splendor in both creation and His laws, shows His eternal presence, His righteousness and faithfulness.

For purity of heart and boldness to openly declare his faith to others of his faith in an awesome God..That God may find delight in his sacrifices of praise and adoration as he tries to please Him and for God to be his strength and to rescue him from slavery both the temporal and the spiritual

• 1 year later...

I think the common thread between verse 1-6 and 7-13 is the word of God being revealed.  I think David basks in God word because he knows the righteouness of Gods word how they rejoice in the heart and the purity of God word.  David knew that God's law is perfect and unchanging and realizing this, all of his sins was brought to his rememberence and he trusted in God and repented.  David is asking God to accept the meditation of his heart because God is his redeemer and his strong tower.

• 2 months later...

Q2. A parallelism. YAHWEH as we can see and experience HIM thru HIS awesome creation, then as we can come to know HIM thru HIS Word. Manifested. To be made known and to come to know. ginosko #1097 / epiginosko #1921.

Go up into the mountains, camping where there is NO light around for miles and then gaze up into the wonder above.

Psalm 119:18 ; "open thou mine eyes that i may behold the wonderous things out of Thy law"

Humbly asking YAHWEH for help and guidance for doing those things that are pleasing to HIM.

• 1 month later...

All verses speak of the glory of God first through His creation and then through His laws (which sustain His creation).  David understands that creation and the law reflect who God is and he stands in amazement and awe of both.  David is meditating on God's creation and Law and asking that God find this pleasing to Him.  Our prayer life should echo David's desire and pray after God's own heart.  When we speak of God's glory then we speak of His son Jesus Christ.  When we speak of God's law then we speak of his son who fulfilled the law and is the law and is our kinsman Redeemer.

Edited by claudia77773
J to H in him

• 3 weeks later...

The common thread here is that God is speaking to us, first through the creation, particularly the glory revealed through the sun travelling through the heavens. The link between the 'revelation' of God through creation is in the second half of verse 6  Melting ice, scorching deserts,
 warming hearts to faith. The sun melts ice , the word melt hearts and brings new life , faith.

Basking in God's word, particularly as we learn to meditate, which is what happens at the end of the Psalm, enables us to receive the different benefits which we get each time we read. Whether it is for joy or wisdom or to revive me it is the process of soaking in it that brings the benefits. A mere quick read won't do it. I first learnt this during a time of depression as a young pastor, and had to learn to meditate . Derek Prince's "God's Medicine Bottle" was a great help . (See attached)

In the prayer at the end the Psalmist is asking God to use His word to search him and keep him on track. Also he has to take the word inside himself to meditate.

Derek Prince - God's Medicine Bottle.pdf