JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Psalms 42-43

During this spiritual struggle of the psalmist, he feels "thirsty for God"(42:2), downcast within his soul and he is trying to console himself saying that GOd had been his help in the past and will he definitely answer him. He continually repeats the phrase, "Why art thou down cast down, O my soul? and why art thou disquieted within me? hope in God...." He combats his spitiual depression by remembering the times when the Lord had helped him and the psalmists hope is fully pinned on God because he had experienced the hand of God in his life. In 42:4 he describes how much he enjoyed praising God in the house of God. In 42:6 he says, "I will remember thee from the land of Jordan, and of the Hermonites, from the hill Mizar".

Have I felt this way? yes, many times in my life I have faced situations where I felt God had abandoned me, but I claimed the Bible promises that I knew and would tell myself that "My God still lives.. He is seeing me now.. I know He will provide a way out of it... I trust u Lord". I would ask myself What Wud Jesus Do(WWJD) at this point and deal with it with prayer and trust in God. And let me tell you, brothers and sisters, He has NEVER let me down.. there has been times when the outcome was not as I expected it to be.. but later realized that it was God's will that way for me.. Praise God!! :P

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

;) : :rolleyes: Q2. (Psalms 42-43). What is the psalmist feeling during this spiritual struggle? How does he combat his spiritual depression? Have you ever felt this way? How did you reach out to God at this time?

Q2.... A It seems the psalmist her is expressing sadness, loneliness, anger, grief and regret.

He is far away from familiar and usual things. Not in his usual place of worship, or with

the people he is use to being and shareing worship and fellowship with.

Q2....B the techniques noted in his trying to combat his spiritual depression seem to be . Self Talk

reminding himself of postitve events of the past. Allowing himself time to dream of the past

good and joyous experiences of worship. dancing and praise. Dreaming of them and telling

himself that God is Good and this loneliness and being away from this will not last forever.

Also when he starts talking to himself he says God is good and has good things and Gdo is

not just in the temple He is anywhere we are.

Q2... C.Yes have felt depressed spiritually many times. Have used self talk alot , Have tried playing

christian music and psalms. Playing bible on cd ,,, Have sought out to be with a friend who is

not is sp. depression and spend time with that person. Have gone to places that I deem to be

special and peacefull . Down by a river or along a path in the woods. or my favorite

just floating on my back in a pool, pond or river. It just takes striving to meet up with God's

presence, or changing some small thing in your life that is wrong.

Ps... God uses all things for our good and in HIS time he meets with us. He is there all the time

we distance ourselves from Him. Only we don't always see it that way.

Q2. (Psalms 42-43). What is the psalmist feeling during this spiritual struggle? How does he combat his spiritual depression? Have you ever felt this way? How did you reach out to God at this time?

1) What is the psalmist feeling during this spiritual struggle?

* David is feeling sadness and depression is trying to set in and with this comes a feeling of rejection from God and from man. The soul of a human try's to take control of the mind, the will and emotions and if it can succeed to do so and get's hopeless then the enemy to our soul is let in and only negative things are seen and heard with us. It will rule and rein our thoughts, our words, and our lives.

* It is very important for all of us to realize that we are the temple of the Holy Ghost and that God dwells among us at all times and that our trust must not be put into a building as it seem the natural man of David has tried to do. Yes, we have great moments at the church or temple with the people of God and we have seen great things in the mist of all of this, but when we can not get there and no one can or will come to us in trying times, we must strengthen our spirit man within and cause it to overcome our soulish realm and stop the enemy from coming into rule and rein over us with our wrong thinking and saying. We stop or change wrong feelings or thinking that set up wrong minds sets that lead away from God and His promises.

2) How does he combat his spiritual depression?

* David wars against his own soul (mind, will,and emotions) and he has learned how much God loves him and how he trusts Him. He remembers all the times victory came because he stay his mind on the word of God and how it brings joy to remember all God has done in the past for him. Worship, praise and remembrance of the good things of God will cause us to over come and bring hope to what appears to be a hopeless situation.

3) Have you ever felt this way?

* Oh yea, many many times! And there where times it took sometime for me to pull myself out of it. I had to learn as David had. It takes time to learn the weapons of warfare against our soulish realm and against the enemy. It takes time to learn to turn from the negative words of our soul and others. There always seems to ones like Job's friends that show up and want to blame you for what's wrong........

4) How did you reach out to God at this time?

* I have learned to turn to worship and to praise as soon as I can. I have learned to keep my heart and mind stayed upon God. I have learned to put my trust in Him the lifter of my faith. I have learned to call ones I can trust, who know how to pray and agree with me and who will encourage me. I allow no negative thoughts from my self inner person as well from others or the devil.

* We have to remember our weapons are not carnal, our weapons are for pulling down strongholds. Strongholds are build from life styles and wrong mind sets. We must break them in our lives and the way to do this is to learn the word, live in the word and stand on the word. We must again worship, praise and trust.

Remember always in Ps. 18:34

" He teaches our hands to war'

Q2. (Psalms 42-43). What is the psalmist feeling during this spiritual struggle? How does he combat his spiritual depression?

The psalmist is feeling alone, lost, confused, deeply saddened. heart broken because he feels that God is not with him. He continues to search and to seek God even though he is going through a deep despair of depression he knows that he can't live with out God in his life so he continues to seek him.

Have you ever felt this way? How did you reach out to God at this time?

Yes, I've felt this way before and I reach out to God through prayer no matter how long it takes I continue to seek him.

Q2. (Psalms 42-43). What is the psalmist feeling during this spiritual struggle? How does he combat his spiritual depression? Have you ever felt this way? How did you reach out to God at this time?

His feeling was hopeless depression. Yes By self talk, deliberate Rememberance, singing & praises. Acknowledging my blessings, self talk with His words and finding beauty in surroundings daily.

I often am thirsty for the Lord. I find that getting in touch with my hunger for the Lord and fully embracing it and accepting it brings me to a deeper place in the Lord. Often crying out to Him from my place of hunger releases visions and opens things up in the heavenly realms, causes breakthroughs and deliverances. If I am down, I just need to get alone with Him, and worship Him from my heart, pouring out everything that is burdening my heart, and I always feel so much better afterwards. He always comes to me when I am in this state of humility and neediness, and ministers healing to me.

The psalmist felt discouraged and without hope. He was depressed. he fled to the desert and isolated himself.

He uses praise to god and self evaluation and dialogue to fight it.

I battle with depression also. I have found refuge in a personal relationship with God and helping others.

The psalmist is feeling completely dispaired. He is very low and has set himself apart from everything. He combats this by looking at the greatness of God. God brings light and fullfillment to our lives.

I have felt this way several times and the only thing left for me to do is to seek the Lord, emmerse myself in Him.

In this psalm the psalmist was probably feeling trodden upon, down in a ditch, unable to get up. All he can see is his suffering & oppression. He seems to be overcome by these things.

He combats this time with the truth--the Word, remembrance of God's past help & victories, singing praise and actually telling himself of the truth & God's steadfastness.

Oh yes, I have felt this way before--many times. First I make sure that I have gotten the sleep I need (things look oh so different when you have had a good night's rest), then I begin a Bible study & get involved in seeking His face & His will. I pray for others & soon my eyes are off myself & onto Him!!

Working at memorizing God's Word, engraves these words on your heart & mind & the Holy Spirit can bring them to remembrance sooner!

The Psalmist is feeling helpless. He has no answers for what has befallen him and finding it hard to rationalize the state he is in. He thirsts for a solution - on how to find the joy of praising the Lord again.

He motivates himself to come out of the spiritual depression. He deliberately recalls how good God has been. Instead of wallowing in self pity, he praises God day and night through songs.

Today, here in Malaysia, marks the first day of the Ramadan month - the fasting month - for the Muslims. One of my bible study friends and I have decided to fast too - 7am-7pm - daily. Right now, I feel so thirsty for water, coffee - name it whatever liquid I can think off. It makes my mind go bonkers. The physical thirst makes me weak. Similiar to that, my past spiritual stuggles had made we very weak - too weak that I lost the grip on the trust and believe I had on God. It was a time that I questioned God a lot and doubted on his sheer existence. But eventually, I claimed the promises that God made through his words, I refused to let the Devil or my own circumstances and musings to get the better of my situation. Enouragement from friends also helped greatly. I am thirsty now (yes for water) but I want to sing praises to him. I want to change the focus on Him and on the reasons behind the fasting. I plan to do the same - if I am sucked back somehow into spiritual struggles again.

:rolleyes: THE PSALMIST WAS STRUGGLING WITH DEPRESSION. hE WAS DISCOURAGED. WHICH DESTROYS HOPE. AND THAT GIVES SATAN AN EDGE. GOD WANTS US TO BE ENCOURAGED NOT DISCOURAGED. ONCE HE STOPS THIRSTING FOR GOD HIS SPIRIT DIES. HE IS FEELING SEPARATED FROM GOD. MATT.5:6 "BLESSED ARE THEY WHICH DO HUNGER AND THIRST AFTER RIGHTOUSNESS: for they shall be filled." HE WAS DISCOURAGED BECAUSE HE WAS EXILED TO A PLACE FAR FROM JERUSALEM AND COULD NOT WORSHIP IN THE TEMPLE. oNE COMBATS SPIRITUAL DEPRESSION: bY TAKING YOUR MIND OFF THE PRESENT SITUATION AS YOU FOCUS YOUR THOUGHTS ON GODS ABILITY TO HELP YOU. RATHER THAN ON YOUR INABILITY TO HELP YOURSELF. PSALMS ANTIDEPRESSANT: READ THE BIBLES ACCOUNTS OF GODS GOODNESS AND MEDIATE ON THEM. BY ASKING GOD TO SEND HIS LIGHT ANS TRUTH TO GUIDE HIM TO THE HOLY MOUNTAIN. THE TEMPLE WHERE HE WOULD MEET GOD. GODS TRUTH (I jOHN 2:27) PROVIDES THE RIGHT PATH TO FOLLOW, AND GODS LIGHT ( I john 1:5) PROVIDES CLEAR VISION TO FOLLOW IT. IF WE FEEL SURROUNDED BY DARKNESS AND UNCEDRTAINITY FOLLOW GODS LIGHT AND TRUTH. HE WILL GUIDE US THROUGH. HE INSTRUCTED HIS SOUL;CONFRONTED AND ACTED BY PRAISING GOD. HE EXAMINED HIS THOUGHTS AND INNER SOUL. OBSERVING: SEEK GOD EVEN IN TIMES OF DISCOURAGEMENT. AND HE WILL PROVIDE HOPE. HOPE IS THE ANCHOR FOR OUR SOUL. IT IS THE CONFIDENT HOPE OF THE RETURN OF CHRIST. HAVE YOU EVER FELT THIS WAY? : yES, MANY TIIMES THROUGHOUT MY LIFE. BUT THERE HAS BEEN A MAJOR DECREASE SINCE RETURNING TO JESUS. AND TURNING TO GOD TO CONTROL MY SOUL AND LIFE. HOW DID YOU REACH OUT TO GOD AT THIS TIME? BEFORE RETURNING TO CHRIST. I didnt reach out to him. instead i was angry, bitter and as my depression grew. i withdrew and shut out my family and friends.Which only hurt them more. Just figured I could resolve the situatiion myself. Plus had a pity party for myself. Praise the Lord our Heavenly Father led me back. Where now I turn everything over to him. And wait for his answers. I do try to look realistically at what is bothering me. Remembering this is when satan is in his glory. When we turn away from Jesus,our Church and family and loved ones. Then I do what I can to resolve it. The rest is up to my Heavenly Father to show me the way. It is awesome to know that regardless of what we do. Jesus is right there beside us. Waiting with opens arms and eternal love. Realize cirsumstances or events in my life that were hindering me from hoping in God. Pray through each one asking God to give me renewed hope in each situatuion. Col.1:5;Rom.5:2Eph.1:18;Prov.14:32.

The psalmist feeling during this spiritual struggle is doubt, depression, confusion, misery, oppressed by his enemy, forgotten by God, thirst for God.

He combat his spiritual depression by tree ways, that is, self-talk of hope, deliberate remembrance of God, and singing and praying to God night and day.

Yes, I have ever felt this way.

I reach out to God at this time by remembering God

He was feeling weak and vulnerable.

He reminds himself of the joys in the past and that he has hope for the future, he prays and sings to God,

We all get down from time to time. The thing that works best for me is to get my mind off myself and help someone else. Keep praying and reading the bible. Just don't give up, things seem to work out if you give the Lord time to take care of it.

Q2-a,

Agony, depression, lonely, defeat.

B. By remembering who God is and all God has done in the past, and that God loves him.

C. Yes

D. By singing the olde3st chil hymn I can remember " Jesus Loves Me" and that leads to worship songs like " Holy, Holy, Holy", " Standing on the Promises of God"

1. He is feeling down, depressed and he is struggling. He's seeking God earnestly with all his heart.

2. By worshipping and praising God, he begins to feel the spirit which has lifted him out of depression.

3. Yes, I felt all alone. I felt like I was in a dark pit and couldn't get out.

4. I arose early one morning and went for a walk and the entire time I talked to God and then I praised him and by the time I returned home, I felt like a new person.

The psalmist is feeling dry, a long ways away from the Lord and His holy temple, spiritual and physical depression, and the harassing and continuous taunts of the unbelieving people around him at this time in his spiritual struggle. He combats his depression by knowing that he will once again be brought back to being close to the Lord; recalling what the Lord did for him and how close the Lord was to him before this time; singing and praying continuously to the Lord God (which is what I use mostly when I

Psalm 42 and 43. This is the critical care moment of the soul. David is in despair. I have been here, we have been here. First decide to come before God. Be honest before God, arrive at truth. Why is my soul in despair? As you seek the truth before God, you and he will find it. Then remember, just as David does, all that God has done for you. If nothing else remember He saved you, gave you new life. Then your soul remembers, "Deep call to deep, your waters break over me". You remember his loving kindness. Still David questions. The process continues. We need to know the battle, who it is we fight. We can know God is our strength, our hope-light and truth. Find yourself in him, a resurrected soul.

The psalmist is feeling very down because he longs for a deeper presence of our Heavenly Father.The psalmist expresses his feelings to God in how he remembers his presence in the past.I myself have been in Gods presence in the past where I could feel electricity all around me.I hunger myself for Gods presence, and remember those times.I sometimes can't figure God out because I don't know what I did that pleased God to where He just covered me with His presence,His love.Another time I had a vision when I was at the altar on my knees.I was at the feet of Jesus.I saw his feet ,his sandles and the bottom of his robe swaying back and forth.Yes,I could say I know how the psalmist feels.

How I reach out to God when I am down,lonely,or just need to talk to God:I pour myself out to him,just telling him how I feel.I cry out to God,just like the psalmist,for strength and to build up my hope.Sometimes I feel God is know where around,but he is.I just have to reach out to Him,and I do.I must be truthful to God,be honest,be myself.God knows who I am anyway.

Psalm 42 and 43

The psalmist is feeling an intense thirst for God like a deer or a wild animal in the wilderness that is dehydrated and panting for water. This is an intense longing that the psalmist is feeling. He is feeling separated from God and knows he can't rest until he has restored a right relationship with Him. He is feeling very discouraged and depressed because of looking back on better days in Jerusalem ministering and worshipping in the temple. Also discouraging words and taunts from others were really discouraging and bringing him down.

The Psalmist combats his spiritual depression by meditating on the kindness of God and His stedfast love. The Psalmist also sings songs and praises to the Lord and prays to Him. He places his trust in the Lord and then thanks Him for His help.

I too, have felt exactly like the psalmist. I've been discouraged and depressed wondering the whole time,"Where is God? and doesn't He care?"

There are numerous ways I have reached out to God. I read the Word, but more importantly I meditate on it. I also pour out my heart in prayer, and thank and praise Him for my salvation, and all the great things He has done in my life, along with all the blessings He has given me and my family. I also put my hope and trust in Him and look to the future. When I look back, I think about how He delivered me from sin and has given me testimonies of His activity in my life. I talk to unbelievers, or weaker Christians about Him, and I talk and fellowship with godly, spiritual people who are positive or encouraging. I retreat from the negativity of the world. I take my thoughts captive, and not feed on my own emotions. I listen to wise counsel. Another thing that helps me alot is to read biographies of great saints of God, who stood strong in times of adversity. For example, Corrie Ten Boom and her life in a Nazi concentration camp or great martyrs who laid down their lives for Christ. I think about heaven and heavenly things. By doing these things I'm pulled out of self-pity. I get my focus back on the Lord, and put my hope and trust in Him, believing His promises.

The Psalmist is experiencing deep anguish and a seperation from God. He longs for the presence of God.

He combats his spiritual depression by

1: Self Talk He questions his anguish and faces his fears and then based on his past experiences he reassures himself.

2: Remembers God's goodness to him in the past. He recalls the times God has seen him through and this encourages him.

3: He sings praises to God.

I have felt this way many times and I know there will be more times in the future that I will feel this way.I have always involved God in my life and have called out to Him in my troubled and anguish ridden times. HE has never failed me Praise Him always. He in His time has answered me and brought me through every single time and I know He will continue to do so He is my Redeemer.There were times I fasted and cried out to Him there have been times when I have asked others to join me in calling out to Him, I remind God of His many promises and I dont give up when it comes to God I know He will answer.

What the psalmist is feeling during his spiritual struggle is a thirst for God.

The psalmist combats his spiritual depression by seeking the Lord with all his heart.

Many times in my own life I have experienced spiritual depression.

During those times I would remember how God answered my prayers in the past and how He provided for my needs at just the right time.

The psalmist here is facing spiritual depression. He is in a dark place and sees no way out, he is putting all his faith in the Lord to bring him through this time in his life. through prayer and praise the Lord helps this psalmist out of this time - he has to help himself too. Often God will give us the tools but it is us that has to use them ourselves.

It doesn't matter what the situation or the outcome appear to be, the praises of God will take u into a realm of victory. It will take you into a place in God that you never knew existed. Open doors that was closed in your face. Praises will make you become the leader never to see the tail again. Wake up out of the spirit of apathy and incompliance with God's word and his way rejoice in God wake up everything around you and cause the praises of God to catch on.[/font][/b] :rolleyes:

The psalmist here is facing spiritual depression. He is in a dark place and sees no way out, he is putting all his faith in the Lord to bring him through this time in his life. through prayer and praise the Lord helps this psalmist out of this time - he has to help himself too. Often God will give us the tools but it is us that has to use them ourselves.