JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Lesson 2

I gave my testimony to the women's group. I grew up in a home filled with abuse and for many years depression was my constant mood. Once I got saved, I learned that I needed to change what I said and talk to myself using the truth of God's Word. When David talks in Psalm 42 and says, "Why are you downcast, O my soul?" I had to learn to look at what I was thinking and believing and ask myself the same question. While depression can at times come upon us, we do have a choice about what we do with it. I needed to remind myself that God is sovereign and that I could choose what thoughts I permit. So now, when I get depressed I allow it for a time, but not let it dwell forever. I also share with God the feelings that I have, my hurts, worries, concerns. He can handle them. When I finally got a grasp of how much God loves me, I apologized to God for the anger I used to express to him and I heard in my spirit, "That's ok Heather, at least you were talking with me." God can handle our emotions.

What I am so taken with is how often David talked with God and started out upset, and ended up praising God. That is happening more and more in my life, and it is Psalms like Psalm 42 that help me to get a handle on how to do that.

Heather

• 2 months later...

Exercise. For one of the psalms in this lesson -- or another psalm with a similar theme -- do one of the suggested exercises to help you experience the Psalms (www.jesuswalk.com/psalms/psalms-exercises.htm). These include such things as praying a psalm, meditating, reading to a shut-in, paraphrasing, writing your own psalm, singing, preparing a liturgy, and memorizing. Then report to the forum what the exercise meant to you personally or share what you've written with others.

I am a nurse on a tranplant unit in Texas. The other day I was taking care of a man that desperately needed a kidney tranplant. When he arrived to our unit for his pre-op, we discovered that he was having some heart problems. It was decided that he would go for a heart cath first and if everything was okay, he would get the kidney. What I didn't know was that this man and his wife of 43 years were raising their grandchildren because their son-in-law had murdered their daughter and that these children also depended on him getting the kidney. The OR team arrived to pick him up and I asked him if I could read Psalms 91 to him, he said yes and then asked me to read Psalms 27 to him stating that this was his favorite Psalms. I looked a little bewildered and then he told me that he was a Christian and a Minister for the Methodist Church. When I was done, he prayed for both of us. As I drove home, I prayed the entire way that he would get that much needed kidney and that his heart would be okay. Two days later, I saw him back on our floor and went into the room and hugged him and his wife like we were long lost family members. He is doing great and I got to take care of him the last day that I worked. I know that God works miracles because he allowed me to meet these two wonderful people.

Thank you,

Love Jesus

• 1 month later...

Peoples pain is far ranging and severe at times but when the healing balm of the Psalms is applied the wounds can disapear. Those I minister to in the hospital and prison can expect me to time and again to give them the "Balm out of Gilead" for all their hurts, to them, with amazing results. I've come to trust and depend on them for the essence of life in this world. Without which this place would be intolerable.

• 1 month later...
Exercise. For one of the psalms in this lesson -- or another psalm with a similar theme -- do one of the suggested exercises to help you experience the Psalms (www.jesuswalk.com/psalms/psalms-exercises.htm). These include such things as praying a psalm, meditating, reading to a shut-in, paraphrasing, writing your own psalm, singing, preparing a liturgy, and memorizing. Then report to the forum what the exercise meant to you personally or share what you've written with others.

I read Psalm 27 out loud and thought about what it means to me. I realized that was my heart's desire. To seek the Lord's face, be as close to Him as I can get. I want to be more like Christ everyday. I do not have to fear because He is my strength, my fortess, my salvation, my deliver, in him I can trust. He is the light of my path. I do not have to fear because I under His wings. He is my protector. The Lord is my everything. He is my life. Without Him, I am nothing.

• 1 month later...

Psalms 42:1, 2 states "As the deer pants for streams of water, so my souls pants for you, Oh God. My soul thirsts for God, for the living God..........".

I have played trumpet for years, and one of my favorite songs to play on the trumpet is "As the deer panteth for water, so my souls pants for you, Oh God". I can remember in 1997 I travelled to Germany to visit my sister, and while there I borrowed a trumpet and played that song in her home church in Heidelberg. I still remember when I played that.

• 5 months later...

Exercise. For one of the psalms in this lesson -- or another psalm with a similar theme -- do one of the suggested exercises to help you experience the Psalms (<a href="http://www.jesuswalk.com/psalms/psalms-exercises.htm" target="_blank">www.jesuswalk.com/psalms/psalms-exercises.htm</a>). These include such things as praying a psalm, meditating, reading to a shut-in, paraphrasing, writing your own psalm, singing, preparing a liturgy, and memorizing. Then report to the forum what the exercise meant to you personally or share what you've written with others.

I have been reading the Psalms to someone who hasn't experienced them fully. I read the Psalm to him then we pray together to ask God to help us incorporate the meaning of the Psalms into our lives. By reading the Psalms to someone else, I benefit from their perspective of the meaning of the Psalms. More often than not he sees something in the Psalm that I have missed.

• 3 months later...

http://www.joyfulheart.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=658

Jon

• 1 month later...

Exercise. For one of the psalms in this lesson -- or another psalm with a similar theme -- do one of the suggested exercises to help you experience the Psalms (<a href="http://www.jesuswalk.com/psalms/psalms-exercises.htm" target="_blank">www.jesuswalk.com/psalms/psalms-exercises.htm</a>). These include such things as praying a psalm, meditating, reading to a shut-in, paraphrasing, writing your own psalm, singing, preparing a liturgy, and memorizing. Then report to the forum what the exercise meant to you personally or share what you've written with others.

Psalms 63 was the psalm this week, I am going to read it to my husband. He does not have much contact with people outside of our home. He does not attend church with me, I pray the Lord touch his heart. pray for us.

• 2 weeks later...

I've meditated on Psalm 43. I always need to remember to speak encouragement to myself.

While it my seem that God is afar of of course he isn't. Satan (the enemy) and those that he uses represents darkness but God is light and he is to be praised.

So, I must continue to reflect on those things that represent his light and truth: his word and his son and his creation.

• 3 weeks later...

For my exercise I developed a short study to help someone who is struggling with "Seeking God Ernestly" using Psalm 27 & 63 plus a few other scriptures.

Psalm 27:4-8

4 One thing I ask of the LORD, this is what I seek: that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to gaze upon the beauty of the LORD and to seek him in his temple.

5 For in the day of trouble he will keep me safe in his dwelling; he will hide me in the shelter of his tabernacle and set me high upon a rock.

6 Then my head will be exalted above the enemies who surround me; at his tabernacle will I sacrifice with shouts of joy; I will sing and make music to the LORD.

7 Hear my voice when I call, O LORD; be merciful to me and answer me.

8 My heart says of you, "Seek his face!" Your face, LORD, I will seek.

Psalm 63:1 O God, you are my God, earnestly I seek you; my soul thirsts for you, my body longs for you, in a dry and weary land where there is no water.

1. Must earnestly seek God

2. Does your soul thirst? If not, how do you get to that point?

3. Do you see your desperate need for God?

4. The world is a dry and weary land with no water - God provides the water - Do you thirst? Do you want to be quenched?

Deuteronomy 4:29 But if from there you seek the LORD your God, you will find him if you look for him with all your heart and with all your soul.

1. If you seek with all of your heart/soul you will find God. Do you believe this?

2. What will it take to seek God with all of your heart & soul?

3. Are you actively looking? Where will you look?

Jeremiah 29:13 You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.

1. God's promise is that you will find him when you seek him with all of your heart.

2. What will you do to seek God today?

3. What are you afraid of?

4. Your actions show your desire to seek God.

Seeking God.

Psalm 24:5-7; 53:1-3; Acts 17:26-28; Hebrews 11:6

Not seeking God.

Psalm 10:3-5

• 2 months later...

Exercise.

For one of the psalms in this lesson - or another psalm with a similar theme - do one of the suggested exercises to help you experience the Psalms. These include such things as praying a psalm, meditating, reading to a shut-in, paraphrasing, writing your own psalm, singing, preparing a liturgy, and memorizing. Then report to the forum what the exercise meant to you personally or share what you've written with others.

I shared Psalms 42, 43, and 63 with my wife. We made it part of our

• 2 months later...

• 9 months later...

Praise God!

The second lesson on Psalms have given me great encouragement to know that even if moments of trouble when we chose to praise God we will see his goodness. Alleluia1

I have meditated on the Psalms of the lessn 1 along with lesson 2. Made a prayer with Psalm 27 in our worship meeting. Read aloud the psalms to my friend in need. I have sung Psalms with my sister who is also doing this lesson. We have prayed these psalms together. I have taken Psalm 139:23-24 as a prayer for the week

I remind myself the verses of Psalm 42 and 43. Why are you downcast my soul??? Hope in the Lord. I repeat this verse many a times during the day.

Pastor Ralph i am also praying for you for ministering the word of God to us. Be blessed!

Psalm 42 and 43 gave me great hope to believe that God can do exceedingly, abundantly much more than we can ask and imagine as we surrender all situations in his hands and praise Him David.

i sang hymns of praise along with my prayer group members throughout the week and we all were able to surrender our cares to the Lord Almighty through praising God in song

God enabled me to teach hymns of my local language in praise to the Creator and they learnt the hymns and sang joyfully to the Lord.

God has enabled me to sing Psalm 63 -2:5 and vs 7 to 8 in song form and sing it in our worship meetings glorifying God's Name.

• 2 years later...
  • 2 years later...
On August 18, 2007 at 10:51 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

This is the Psalm 42 and 43.  My prayer 

listen Lord to my prayer.  I am so full of anxieties and self doubt.  Yet in the midst of this emotional turmoil, you show me the good.  You show me that I am worth it.  You show me that once I turn to you, you are the problem solver.  You show me the way towards the light.  While I moan and groan for awhile, you bring me out of the this downward slump.  I continue to call out to you... I continue to seek you, to pursue you.  Help me Lord out of my self doubts. Guide me towards the path that you want me to take.  AMEN

• 10 months later...

I chose to paraphrase Psalm 13 

Psalm 13

O Lord My God how long will it be 

Till I see Your face

How long will You ignore me

How much more anguish will I suffer?

That there's deep sorrow inside me daily

Will my adversary have me by the throat daily?

Turn about face and tell me, Lord!

Rejuvenate my eyes or I will die

Don't allow my adversaries to sneer saying, "We beat him."

Don't allow them to rejoice at my demise.

For I will trust in Your everlasting love

I'll rejoice because You saved me

I'll praise the Lord since He is good to me

I have decided to paraphrase Psalm 56 in the Contemporary English Version

Oh God, have mercy on me!

Everyone who despises me is hounding me daily

They hurl insults at me and shove me

Yet even when I am scared and trembling

I will still hold on to you

I rejoice over your sacred vows to me!

I still trust you and I will not fear

No one can touch me.

Those who hate me spend their days

Trying to pick me apart and point out my weaknesses

All they want is to destroy me

They come out of hiding and pummel me

Hoping they can end my life

Yet when you are angry God

You will consume them

I know you watch where I go

You have saved all my tears

And numbered them all

I will keep my vows to you, Lord

I will willingly give you presents

Because you rescued me from peril

You made my path clear

So, I could bring you joy

And follow you

For you are the everlasting life.

• 11 months later...

Paraphrasing Psalm 3

O Lord, so many enemies are surrounding me, wagging their tongues at me

Trying to discourage me saying, God is surely not going to help me. 

But You are my glory, my shield, who lifts my head up to look to heaven

I lifted up my cry to you and You answered me from Your holy habitation. 

As You watch over me and sustain me, I can sleep and wake up in peace

I will be fearless of the multitude of enemies thronging around me

Arise O Lord, and save me, for vengeance is Yours and You will repay

For Salvation is from You and Your blessings are on Your people. 

• 4 years later...

This exercise (prayer) has opened up the opportunity for me to dive into the depth of God's love, challenging my soul seek for the treasures of His measureless goodness.

OH LORD, for the areas of my soul that have yet to experience Your showers of newness and drenching, I seek of You to pour out and fill the burrows of my soul to overflow with Your bountiful measure. My heart is excited, just to think of Your lifting in this way, this way I confess that I know not its fullness, neither do I understand, but I perceive because I have tasted of You in seasons past. Your goodness is beyond my understanding, but when You come, You graciously take me higher there to be with the vastness of You. With all my heart LORD, I honour YOU. My soul waits for Thee OH LORD. I will be careful to sing YOUR praises until You come to bless and drench me with Your bountiful showers. Amen