JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

We can instruct our children on rigteous living by meditating on this Psalm at our family alter from time until the principles taught are understood and appreciated by the children.

Some of the topics covered in Psaml 15 are:

- Moral integity

- Fairness

- Clear allegince to God

- Living without greed

- keeping our word(our oaths)

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q2. (Psalm 15) The Wisdom Psalms are meant to instruct us. How would you use this psalm in your family to instruct your children? What topics of right living does it cover?

This Psalm cover many elements of right living for adults and for children...

Live a truthful, righteous life.

Don't lie or cheat.

Don't gossip or slander or slur others.

Treat your neighbor without wrong (Golden rule)

Honor other believers, even in times of problems (good marriage rule too)

Lend and recieve lent money without ill intent.

Accept no bribe to do anything against the innocent.

Truth, righteousness living that honors others. No better way to live.

• 2 weeks later...

I read a commentary by Holman that describes the areas discussed in this psalm as character, conversations, contacts, company, committments, and commerce. I like that summary. It is also important to me to compare how similiar this teaching is to that from Jesus directly.

I also appreciate the fact that the original question reminds us that we must be ready. We can't stand on the fact that we were ready yesterday, it takes every day to develop these characteristics within us.

Q2. (Psalm 15) The Wisdom Psalms are meant to instruct us. How would you use this psalm in your family to instruct your children? What topics of right living does it cover?

Psalm 15 is a call for God's people to live morally upright. In this Psalm, we receive standards to help us to determine how we are doing. Knowing that we are sinners, we need God's mercy and forgiveness constantly. As we mature in our relationship with God, our primary desire is to live so as to please Him. So we began to separate ourselves more and more from the things of this world. Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him. 1 John 2:15.

Guidelines for right living covered in this Psalm are: do what is right, speak the truth, refuse to gossip, do no harm to your neighbor, do not speak evil of your friends, do not fellowship with sinners, give honor to the faithful, keep your promises, do not lend money for profit and do not accept bribes.

• 1 month later...

I will tell my children that Psalm 15 teaches us the basics of what we should do to please God. It gives us ways to show others that we stand clearly for what is right according to God, so others don't see us as hypocritical when we say we're Christians.

And I will specifically teach them about the topics of right living covered here: follow God's laws, do what is right, be truthful, don't condone wrong behavior in others, help others with pure motive - not for financial gain, don't say anything OF others you wouldn't say TO them, and keep your promises even when it hurts to.

• 4 weeks later...
Q2. (Psalm 15) The Wisdom Psalms are meant to instruct us. How would you use this psalm in your family to instruct your children?What topics of right living does it cover?

The Wisdom Psalms are meant to instruct us.

How would you use this psalm in your family to instruct your children?

I would use this Psalm to instruct my children in the meaning of the ten commandments and the golden rule as it applies to daily living. I would use it to teach them that the same faith that saves is the same faith that results in living a Christ filled life.

What topics of right living does it cover?

The first topic it covers is integrity This is covered in verse 2. The person is one whose walk is blameless, who does what is right and who speaks the truth from his heart. This person is morally sound, one who would rather go to heaven with a clear conscience than remain on earth with a bad one, his word is his bond yes is yes and no is no.

He does not backbite, he disciplines his tongue to uplift rather than tear down.

He desires to help his neighbor, to encourage and teach what is right .

He discerns what is right and what is wrong, good from evil, he despises the sinner only in the sense that he speaks openly against his ungodliness.

When he makes promises , he stands by them. He hates perverted justice which says that everybody and everything has a price.

He is the type of person who lives for God daily and for eternity.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

THIS PSALM IS LOADED WITH WISDOM AND IS MEANT TO HELP US KNOW WHAT IS REQUIRED OF US SO THAT WE CAN LIVE RIGHT .I HAVE BEEN USING THE PSALMS TO HELP MY SON UNDERSTAND WHAT IT MEANS TO LIVE MORALLY UPRIGHT BEFORE GOD.I LOVE THE POST BY MRS G . WE ARE CALLED TO BE SEPARATE FROM THE WORLD'S WAY OF DOING THINGS.

THIS PSALM COVERS SUCH THINGS AS:

SPEAKING TRUTH

DOING RIGHT

WALKING BLAMELESS

NO FALSENESS

NO EVIL

NO REPROACH

NO USURY

NO BRIBERY

THIS PSALM SEEMS TO BE ALL ABOUT BUILDING CHARACTER IN US SO THAT WE WILL BE DIFFERENT IN OUR LIFESTYLE AS CHRISTIANS...GOD BLESS...GLORY.

• 4 weeks later...

Into such a world of wrong-headed beliefs, occasionally comes a ray of light. Psalm 15 is such an enlightening piece of literature with lasting value. It gives a radically different answer to the question,

• 2 weeks later...
I would instruct my children that in order to be with God we have to our best to obey his word with a clean heart and not try to devise way to get around God word. God can not be fool, so if you accept God Accept His word and live by them.

• 1 month later...

I try to instruct my children in the ways of the Lord, by good example and repentance when I am wrong, as I am often, being human and sinful. I correct my children when they are dishonest, (speaketh the truth in his heart) or spiteful against other people(backbiteth not with his tongue, nor doeth evil to his neighbor, nor taketh up reproach against his neighbor).

This Psalm covers honesty, doing unto others, loving thy neighbor as thyself, gossiping, and financial honesty as well.

• 4 weeks later...

Question 2: The Wisdom Psalms are meant to instruct us. How would you use this psalm in your family to instruct your children? What topics of right living does it cover?

My first thought is that this Psalm is crying out to be a needle-work sampler hanging on the living room wall. The strengths of this psalm are condensed in concrete-solid admonitions both for righteous and against non-righteous behavior. In dealing with children one of the major problems facing parents is couching the instruction in terms that are clear and unmistakable to the child. That varies with age.

As I read this psalm I cannot help but equate it to my experiences as a child and adult leader in the Boy Scouts. Often the instructions and guidance I received from my Sunday school and the Sunday Sermons were too abstract for my 12 year old mind to grasp. But I clearly understood trustworthy, loyal, helpful, friendly, courteous, kind, obedient, cheerful, thrifty, brave, clean, and reverent. Those were clear-cut, positive attributes that, not realizing it, as I grew up I attempted to apply as my pattern for life

• 4 weeks later...

I WOULD USE THIS PSALM IN MY FAMILY TO INSTRUCT MY CHILDREN BY TEACHING THEM HOW LIVE RIGHT WITH GOD. TO TREAT PEOPLE AS YOU WOULD WANT THEM TO TREAT YOU. DO NOT BE QUICK TO BLAME OTHERS, ESPECIALLY WITHOUT KNOWING WHAT REALLY HAPPEN AND WHAT WAS THE MOTIVE BEHIND WHAT THEY DID. I WOULD TELL THEM TO WATCH WHAT THEY SAY WHEN TALKING TO OTHERS CAUSE PEOPLE TAKE THINGS AND RUN WITH IT.YOU DO NOT HAVE TO BE EVIL TO NO ONE JUST LEAVE THEM ALONE AND SEEK GOD. BE HONEST WITH YOURSELF AND OTHERS. KEEP YOURSELF AWAY FROM PEOPLE WHO SLANDER OTHERS THEY ARE TROUBLE. DO NOT BE QUICK TO PASS JUDGMENT TAKE IT TO GOD. THIS COVER THE TOPICS OF RIGHTEOUSNESS, MEDITATION, THE LAW, OBEDIENCE, PROPERITY, HONESTY, GREED, TRUSTING THE LORD.

• 1 month later...

That as children of God we are to live an honest life. We are not to lie about others, or to each other. We are not to take (steal) what does not belong to us. We are to lift up (help, pray) one another, and not hurt others. To always speak the truth. That all who do what is right will never be destroyed.

• 1 month later...

I would instruct my family by discussing who can approach God (abide/dwell) The ones who try to live right, who live by Gods standards and not the worlds standards. The ones who hate what God hates.

The topics of right living that are covered are honesty, controlling our tongue, giving from your heart and not for profit, and not to be a liar.

• 1 month later...

I tend to use bits and pieces of Psalms to share with my children - preaching never works, so what I do is wait for a circumstance and then share with them what the Word of God has to say. T his psalm talks about many issues that children need to deal with every day - speaking the truth, acting circumspectly, not gossiping, not doing evil, honoring your work, not doing usury, keeping your word and handling money properly. Two of my sons are in college and this psalm is important for areas they are dealing with now. My oldest tends to what to wheel and deal, and I am often speaking with him about ethics and morals and how his reputation will follow him - so act honorably now.

Heather

• 4 months later...

The Lord has chosen to answer my prayer and 'enlarge my coast' with many new faces to love. Most in the world's eyes are not children anymore but they are in His eyes. My heart sings with joy and cries with them in their pain. Most have less than three years before they cross through the veil of life and they are frightened. As most of us would be, I was and then I wasn't when I came that close. I tell them to trust and believe, and as Acts 26.20 reads repent and turn from their old ways into the presence of a loving God.

As Zephaniah 3.17 says God rejoices with singing over His children when they come home.

• 4 weeks later...

My two sons are grown. When they were small, even still now, I let them know how important it is to be truthful, honest, consider other people's feelings. It covers unrighteousness, deceit, slander, selfishness, and any other sin we have in our life. The inner integrity is very important.

I would use this to teach my daughter to always walk uprightly before the Lord, never allow greed for money to overtake her, to always love her fellow man, regardless of how they may treat her, to always show love, and pray for the ones who dispitefully would use her, to always put God first in her life, and when she does these things, and seeks God's face, study His word, and put her full trust in God, she can face any difficult situation in life.

• 3 weeks later...

(Psalm 15) The Wisdom Psalms are meant to instruct us. How would you use this psalm in your family to instruct your children? What topics of right living does it cover? To teach them that in order to be with God you must live right. Do what is right, don't mistreat people, show love and despise evil. David said it all. It cover many topic, such as Love, gossip, money, hurt, pain, slander, and etc. This Psalm is a guidance that tell you in more detail what you need to live right. If you live right than Heaven belongs to you, If you don't than you make your bed in hell. The choice is what one must make for themself. As for me and my house we will serve the Lord. I will dwell in God house one day.

• 1 month later...

Q2. (Psalm 15) The Wisdom Psalms are meant to instruct us. How would you use this psalm in your family to instruct your children?

ANS = I have instructed them to live righteously, to speak the truth, don't slander your neighbors, or do him wrong; to despise evil men, to honor those who fear the Lord, to always keep a promise, and to handle money wisely And I believe they are now teaching their children, my grandchildren, the same.

• 2 months later...

With the understanding that I am unable to control absolutely everything of my sons lifestyle and characteristics, I do have a great deal of influence that I can show him in my lifestyle and I can only pray to God that he will develop his own unique God given lifestyle to serve God. My husband and I try our best at the moment to do that even though our son is only 13 months. But we have to start when they see all and hear all. Also we are accountable to our own characteristics and attitude and lifestyle when judgment day comes so for our own being and soul, its better to follow Gods wisdom and instructions

1. Obey God

2. Inner Integrity

3. Sense of Fairness

4. Love your enemies

5. Be not tolerant to evil

6. Keeping my word

7. Not loving money but using it for his kingdom

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

In my family in Chicago, I feel this applies to how I should speak to my sister, who has a mental depression handicap. She jumps to conclusions and I am unable to ignore all of it; the tone of her voice, the tone of my voice, Oh lord how do we heal this woman? How can we help her in a path back to "work" and networking with others and enjoying life? i'm so imperfect, so unable, Lord give me the strength and the words, and the tone of voice needed; may my patience grow; may I ignore all the past of what has happened. May my hear be your heart, may my voice tone be your voice tone. In Jesus name