JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

How many times should my tongue have been curbed? How easy it is to listen to the news and make snide remarks. Often I feel that there is no consequence to my remarks, because they will not reach the people of whom I am speaking. Yet those evil words do reach my audience - my husband, my children, my friends, etc. Those comments do hurt. They hurt my listeners and they speak more about my character than they do about those who I am slurring. This is the lesson that this psalm has directly for me. How many times have I failed to be a faithful witness to my loved ones in the past. It is my prayer that that my tongue be curbed no, clipped, in order that I could be a more righteous example for those I love, and dwell in the tabernacle of the Lord forever.

This psalm covers actions,intent, speech, honesty, fear of the Lord, respect, honor, long suffering, and charity.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q2. (Psalm 15) The Wisdom Psalms are meant to instruct us. How would you use this psalm in your family to instruct your children? What topics of right living does it cover?

I have no children, but I find this psalm can be used in my family as I strive to live a Godly life. I pray it will enable me to teach those around me by example, and it will be one they will desire to learn and make a part of their life.

This pslam covers topics which... if I obey it, will prevent me from living a life of bondage by teaching me to live a life of freedom in the areas of: gossip, immorality, moral integrity, fairness to my neighbors, knowing and not being ashamed of my allegience to Christ, and finally,... learning to live a life free of GREED.

If I practice each of these ideals, I can learn to become more and more Christ-like in my heart, thoughts, character, conversation and finally, in my deeds, or actions.

• 3 months later...

Q2. (Psalm 15) The Wisdom Psalms are meant to instruct us. How would you use this psalm in your family to instruct your children? What topics of right living does it cover?

First off I would ask them the question 'who may dwell in God's house?' And then go into the meaning of righteousness . I would show them a few verses about gossip, and help them to understand that by gossiping, they are not treating their neighbour as they would want to be treated. A strong point in this chapter is verse 4, about a 'vile person [who] is despised, children need to learn that if you love God, you can't love anything that is evil, because God is not evil and if you did then you have an 'idol' in your life. "Who keeps his oath even when it hurts." (15:4) They need to know the importance of keeping your word, because so often the truth is lost. Children also need to know the power and dangers of money, what it can do if you let money run your life.

The topics of right living are, morals, idols, truth, purity, and respect of others and the Lord.

• 2 months later...

http://www.joyfulheart.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=660

Psa 15:1-5 MKJV A Psalm of David. Jehovah, who shall dwell in Your tabernacle? Who shall dwell on Your holy hill? (2) He who walks uprightly, and works righteousness, and speaks the truth in his heart; (3) he does not backbite with his tongue, nor does evil to his neighbor, nor takes up a reproach against his neighbor; (4) in whose eyes the reprobate is despised, but he honors those who fear Jehovah; he has sworn to his hurt, and does not change it; (5) he has not put out his money at interest, nor has he taken a bribe against the innocent. He who does these things shall not be moved forever.

I would teach my children to be honest, upright, to be careful what they say. To honour God, to love Him and to fear Him as well. To live by God

• 1 month later...

Keep your word at all cost. Do what you say,don't take advantage of the poor/persons in need for your own benefit. Don't be motivated by money and tell the truth. Stability! not to be swayed by changing situations. All of them.

Keep your word at all cost. Do what you say,don't take advantage of the poor/persons in need for your own benefit. Don't be motivated by money and tell the truth. Stability! not to be swayed by changing situations. All of them.

I would use this psalm to encourage children in right living. I'd let them know that these are God's expectations of us no matter the age. While they may have friends that behave in an unbecoming way that would do well to not join in. I'd share that when you do the right things and make good choices you will not be pulled away from God. Doing wrong builds a wage between you and God.

The topics covered in Psalm 15 that we should avoid are lying and and slandering others; treating our neighbors badly; gossiping about others in their absence. What we should do he abhor the evil dooer; keep your word even when it is difficult; lend money but not with the expectation of being paid back with interest; and instruction not to accept money to do harm to others.

• 4 weeks later...

Q1: I don't have children, but if I did I would definately use this Psalm to teach them about righteousness and how to be righteous in a world where few people are, even children.

Q2: Topics covered include: Who may walk with God?; Answered are: The righteous; those with integrity; those that love their neighbors; those that despise evil; those that keep their word; and those that are not greedy or love money. This is the life God wants us to live, not perfect, but making the effort with all of our hearts.

• 2 months later...

A2. (Psalm 15)

Think about the parts that say what are good to do. to do them. (topics of right living)

speak the truth from my hearts

honor whoever fears the LORD

keep oaths even when it hurts

lend money to the poor without interest

Check my life for the things that i am not supposed to do. to stop doing them.

no slander on my tongues

do my neighbors no wrong

cast no slur on others

do not accept bribes against the innocent

Because that is what is good.

• 2 weeks later...

Q2. (Psalm 15)

The Wisdom Psalms are meant to instruct us.

How would you use this psalm in your family to instruct your children?

I would ask them to memorize this psalm or at least refer to it often. I notice in verse 2 it covers our walk, our works, and our words. They will then learn that to have an intimate relationship with our Lord, they will need to be of upright integrity. I will tell that as believers they need to make sure they are walking in the will of God thereby enjoying fellowship with Him.

What topics of right living does it cover?

Tell the truth at all times (2c)

Do not slander (3a)

Fairness to neighbours (3b)

Do not discredit others (3c)

Do not approve of unbelievers (4a)

Honour believers (4b)

Always keep your promises (4c)

Do not let money/greed control you (5)

• 2 weeks later...

I would use this psalm to teach them how to do what is right and how treat others right. It talks about living above reproach, always telling the truth, not degrading or harming others, hating what is evil, keeping your promises, lending fairly, and refusing bribes for gain. It reminds me a little of Psalm 101.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Q2. (Psalm 15) The Wisdom Psalms are meant to instruct us. How would you use this psalm in your family to instruct your children?

After asking the question "Who shall dwell permanently on God's holy hill/tabernacle, the rest of the Psalm teaches about godly behavior in how to treat others. I'd go through the verses and come up with appropriate examples for the age levels of the children, and end with the promise of eternal life for those who are in Christ.

It covers: Right living, right thinking, right speaking. (which includes speaking words of blessing while warning against negative speaking about/ to others)

Hating sin and evil (not the sinner), and giving honor to those whom honor is due. (Believers)

Though offended or hurt, still behaves in a godly manner.

Wisdom in handling finances in a Biblical way.

• 2 weeks later...

This psalm instructs us on honesty, sincerety, faithfulness, kindness, and not being greedy. You must speak the truth, be faithful to God and his followers without being unkind to sinners. You must be willing to share the many things that God has given you with a loving heart. But most importantly you must be sincere in your love of God.

• 1 month later...

Psalm 15 lays out a very basic, yet important foundation for righteous living and it is these values that I had instilled in our daughter at a very young age. I emphasized and reiterated the importance of each of these values and how they must be applied in order to enjoy a happy and righteous, God-fearing and God-loving lifestyle.

*Moral Integrity

*Fairness to Neighbors

*Clear Allegiance

*Keeping one's word

*Living with out greed

• 1 month later...

Q2. (Psalm 15) The Wisdom Psalms are meant to instruct us. How would you use this psalm in your family to instruct your children?

In verse 1, David asks the question, "LORD, who may dwell in Your sanctuary? Who may live on Your holy Hill?" The first bit of instruction to my children (and grandchildren and Sunday School children and neighborhood children) is to answer the question "Why would you (I) even want to live in the LORD's sanctuary in the first place?" There are many enticing distractions in the world that vie for the attention of our children (and of us). So the instruction begins with the privilege and the blessings of the LORD.

Verse 2 speaks of our inner integrity .... and is only possible because of our relationship with the LORD through the Only One who is blameless, righteous, and truth. Once our relationship is established with Him, we are able to walk blamelessly, do what is right and speak the truth with others. So the next bit of instruction to my children is the need for this relationship.

Verse 3-5a then seem to parallel this 'inner integrity' in our relationships with others ('outer integrity'). Our blameless walk is reflected by our treatment of our neighbor; our righteous acts reflect our intolerance of sin and our fear of the LORD; and our truth-filled heart motivates our words and commitments and our actions rather than money motivating our actions. The last bit of instruction to my children is: because of our love for and our relationship with our LORD, we want others to meet Him too and have this relationship with Him. We treat others the way the LORD treats us so that they too will know that He is the LORD.

These verses speak to my relationship with the LORD and my relationship with others. Because of my relationship with the LORD, I can 'walk blamelessly, do what is righteous, and speak the truth from my heart'. In my relationships with others, I 'do my neighbor no wrong, hate sin, keep my promises, and am not motivated or influenced by money (or material things)'.

• 1 month later...

Psalm 15 is an excellent guide which gives us instructions to us and our children. As a parent I have to first know the Lord, walk in his ways and know what are the good ways the Lord expects of me. Once I understand and walk the right way only then I am able to pass it on to my children . I have to dwell in the house of the Lord and then follow these instructions and give it to my children. The instructions i can pass on from reading the Psalm are

Have a right walk with God by dwelling in his presence.

Read the word of God.

Always speak the truth ..

Do not speak bad about others.

Do no harm or wrong to my neighbors

Cast no slurs on my fellowmen

Do not keep the company of vile men

Keep an promise made even if it proves very costly or it hurts.

Do not take undue advantage of a poor man by lending and charging intrests or make use of his weakness

If i am called to serve the innocent and needy i do it without accepting bribe on its b ehalf

And yes when I do such things I will never be shaken

Lord help me to obey your word and follow your instructions

I will make sure to obey the word and also strive to teach my children all the godly vlaues.

I talk to them about the Lord, teach them the importance of the word of God, help them pray and learn the scriptures,take them for worship and make them understand the word of God.

I try with the grace of God to lead a godly life and keep talking about our Christian lives and stand uncompromised with the word of God. Yes its a narrow path at times,but gods grace they do understand and are also witnessing the grace of God in their lives

The psalm covers all aspects of right living.

It begins saying who can dwell in the sanctuary of the Lord?? It shows us the way to go to the Lord and dwell in his house by obeying all the ways listed out here. A blamless walk of truth honesty kindness sincerity and integrity is acceptable to the Lord. It does cover alll that is needed to walk the right walk with the Lord.

Thank you Lord..

Psalm 15 makes me ask a question as the Psalmist? Lord who may dwell in your sanctuary?

The answer to this question follows in the Psalm. Only a person who walks in righteous ways, always speaks the truth and keeps his tongue free from judgement, criticism and all wrong things can worship God Almighty. A person who does not hurt his neighbour, does not associate with the wicked , lends money without interest and takes no bribes is confident to approach the throne of grace and be in communion with the Father, Son and the Holy Spirit of God.

This Psalm makes me check on my life and see if there is anything unholy as explained in this Psalm and get away from all unholiness before entering the presence of the Lord. we cannot praise and worship Jesus and be led by his Holy Spirit if any things that Psalm 15 describes are present in us.

i can worship my Father in heaven with joy and confidence as i choose to do what is right and keep away from sin. i am able to continually dwell in God's presence when i choose to keep away from unrighteous deeds that are mentioned in Psalm 15. when i practice to live a righteous life under the guidance of Psalm 15 this itself becomes a lesson for others to learn and follow. The way i live becomes an inspiration to others to live their lives in accordance to God's word and give glory to the Creator.

My way of living by applying God's word gives glory to Him and in turn i become a blessing to all my family members and all those God has entrusted in my care to bring them closer to Him.

Ps 15 gives an answer to all who are seeking God's presence , God's presence is experienced only by the man who walks in God's ways, when he follows the word of God in all he/she does, and when we follow the word of God we take the right path, we fear him in all our ways this helps us to come with a pure heart in his presence. We keep away from all the wrong things. We are living in world where we have a lot of people who follow the ways of the unrighteous ways, I will use this psalm to keep my ways pleasing to God and be an instrument to be used by him to be a blessing in his kingdom and my family, and when i choose to walk according to his word and dwell in his sanctuary make my ways and myself holy to stand on his holy hill i will be able to pass on the same to my children.And i pray for this grace to be a blessing in his kingdom & my family.

• 4 months later...

The Wisdom Psalms are meant to instruct us. How would you use this psalm in your family to instruct your children? What topics of right living does it cover?

In my family, I am one of the children, so I suppose I should use this Psalm, then, to instruct myself. This is like holding a mirror to myself to check if I am really living in a way that allows me to abide in God’s tabernacle, to stand on His holy hill. It sets the standards of what righteousness looks like in practicality, of what it means to be a real friend, of how to maintain moral integrity, and of how to honor God with money and material possessions.

Verse 2 speaks about living righteously and speaking of God’s righteousness. The two must go hand in hand. I cannot just live righteously because that would be living for my own gain. I would easily become self-righteous. By the same token, I cannot just speak of God’s righteousness because, if I am not living righteously, the actions won’t match up to my professions and I will become a liar and a hypocrite. I must, then, make every effort to live righteously and seize every opportunity to turn the praise back to God—both in my own heart and publicly.

Verse 3 explains what it means to be a good friend and neighbor. Neighbor, in this context, can be taken literally or figuratively. The terminology in that sense is not the important part. The important part is what constitutes a good friend or neighbor. We are not to backbite with our tongues. This would involve not talking back to a parent, spouse, or boss, but also not wreaking havoc with our words. If I hear something said about someone else, it is my responsibility to tell the person, not tell someone else and create more trouble. We are also commanded not to do evil to our neighbors. Notice that it says “not do evil.” We do not have to be best friends with everyone we come in contact with, but we are still to have their best interest in mind. I think it is along the same lines as putting others before ourselves because when we do something evil, we are thinking only of ourselves. So, on that concept, the absence of doing evil would require that we put ourselves last.

Verse 4 shows us how to maintain moral integrity. We are to despise “a vile person.” This is especially hard in American culture. We like to praise vile people by giving them television shows, going to their concerts, putting them on front page news, or following them on Twitter. This is the very antithesis of Christ’s message. He calls us to come out of the world, to be different, to be counterculture. We are not, all too often. But this Psalm shows us a very simple way we can be: by despising these vile people our culture praises and strives to be like and focusing instead in on the commands and mission God has set before us (honoring and fearing the Lord).

Verse 5 talks about money and material possessions—the things that seem to be the most important in American culture. Simply put, we are not to waste our money on frivolous things or be bribed, with money or anything else. This is simple, yet not so simple. We spend so much of our time thinking about money, directly or indirectly. And we often spend more time spending it, half the time on insignificant things or habits. I really think God’s heart aches when we do this. He has blessed us by providing for us and we don’t reciprocate the favor by returning unto Him what is already rightfully His. Instead we are bribed by our culture to have bigger things in exchange for a better life. God’s exchange doesn’t work like that. In fact, He promises that if we lose our lives for His sake, we will find them.

• 3 weeks later...

This would teach your children many great lessons for happy living in the Lord, incuding:

Speak truthfully and sincerely.

Do not slander a friend or anyone.

Disdain wickedness but honor those who fear the Lord.

Keep an oath no matter what the cost.

Lend no money for interest.

Accept no bribe against the innocent.

• 2 years later...

The way that I would use this Wisdom Psalm is to first use myself. The after I have done that I would instruct my children to do the same. I have always believed that if you want your children to do the right thing you must be doing it also.

There are ten topics is right living listed. They all talk about the way that we should live.

• 2 months later...

Q2. (Psalm 15) The Wisdom Psalms are meant to instruct us.

A.) How would you use this psalm in your family to instruct your children?

B.) What topics of right living does it cover?

A.). The things God asks of us, as far as how to treat others never changes ( the sign of a great disciplinarian). Children need boundaries and I believe thes are clearly stated. No questions in my mind what is wrong and right.

1. Live a blameless life

2. Speak truth

3. Obey the Golden Rule

4. Choose your friends wisely.

5. Be a person that keeps their word.

6. Do good things for people and don't expect anything in return.

7. Don't accept bribes.

B.)Love what is good...despise what is evil. Live like Jesus did.

• 9 months later...

Do what is right.

Speak the truth and be honest about what you say.

Be true to your word, Carry out a promise even if it is inconvenient and costs something.

Do not talk behind anothers back or speak badly about another.

Do not get involved with people who do wrong and respect christian people who you can trust and look up to in your life.

• 1 month later...

Follow the 10 commandments.

Tell the truth

Do not gossip treat people with respect

Pick your friends wisely so that you don't get led astray

Stay away from vile persons and respect those who walk humbly before the Lord

Do not take advantage of poor people

If you follow the right path you will live a blessed life.