JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Psalm 69

David knew that God would and has forgiven him for what he had done and David had put it behind him. He didn’t keep bringing it upon himself and keep reminding himself what he had done. He had turned that baggage over to God.

If we are willing to lay down our baggage at the feet of Jesus and not keep picking it up again, the God’s grace and mercy will be the same for us as it was for David.

• 11 months later...
  • Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q1. (Psalm 69:12-18) How could David dare to ask anything from God after the shameful things he had done with Bathsheba and Uriah? How does God's grace and mercy function in the face of our sins?

David appeals to God's mercy-he is a merciful God (v 16). David appeals to God for rescue from his troubles, God is a loving God (v 13). So even though what David did was despicable, God is able to deliver and forgive David (v 18).

• 1 month later...

David called out to God for help and salvation because he knew of His tender mercies before, the guilt was great. This Psalm is also prophetic of what our Lord suffered growing up as a child. Not because of anything he did but because he was considered illegitimate. This Psalm is a great prayer when we find ourselves in sin. We now know the salvation of our Lord in the Son, Yeshua.

• 1 year later...
On August 18, 2007 at 11:03 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q1. (Psalm 69:12-18) How could David dare to ask anything from God after the shameful things he had done with Bathsheba and Uriah? How does God's grace and mercy function in the face of our sins?

David was in deep shame, but his faith and his heart knew that his God was a loving God and that he could go to Him.  I too have felt this deep shame and loathing.  To the point of not being able to literally look myself in the mirror.  But I I can go to God for forgiveness. Without fearing I would be whacked on my head.  During my times of self loathing, Jesus has spoken to me that I am loved.  I am sure that David heard those same words while crying out to God.  David humbled himself, as I need to humble myself.  I found it interesting and revealing that Jesus' and Joshua's root word is yesha.  Jesus died as an ransom for our sins.

• 9 months later...

Even though he had committed both adultery and murder and tried to hide them. God was gracious to him in giving him a chance to come to his senses and repent through the prophet, Nathaniel in the Old Testament when he was confronted. After being confronted he truly repented and God restored him but still punished him for what happened. God's grace and mercy function by Christ's death as the Sacrifice Lamb that died on the cross as an atonement and propitiation for our sins. He took our rightful place on the cross and took the penalty that we could not pay. 

I believe David could dare to ask God for help because he knew that God was merciful. He knew that God loved him regardless of his great sin he committed. David was truly sorry and repentant for what he had done and he was calling on God to save him. David knew that God would not give up on him like the people around him did. He knew that God was loving and compassionate and would help him. He was falling on God’s righteousness not his own.

God’s grace and mercy willingly pardons and forgives us because He loves us. He has compassion on us when we fall into sin and longs to rescue us from ourselves. Because we are His children He will come to our aid and show us mercy and forgiveness. God never changes so we know He will always love us and have mercy on us even when we fail Him. Jesus has paid the full price for our sins. Jesus ransomed us and redeemed us with His blood and we belong to Him.

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

The Bible speaks of the faults, flaws and failures of so many giants of faith as is and does not hide them. Also we see that they experienced the forgiveness of God in their lives. It was not because they were worthy of it, but it was because of God’s great grace over their lives. Same is true of us. We are also equally flawed as they are and still God pours His grace over our lives too. Grace is the unmerited, unearned, undeserved favor, and God chose to be gracious to us. It speaks of the bigness of God. He transcends our understanding.

It is this understanding of who God is, that enabled David to ask for forgiveness to God in spite of what he had done to grieve Him.

The definition of justice, mercy and grace is so important for us to understand. Justice is getting what we deserve. Mercy is not getting what we deserve. Grace is getting what we don’t deserve. For our sins we deserve punishment. That’s justice. But He extends mercy over our lives and does not punish us according to what we deserve. Moreover, by giving us eternal life, and giving us sonship and planting us in His kingdom, He extends grace to us. It is so unfathomable to our puny mind. He chooses to lavish His love over our lives, in spite of our wickedness and sin. As said in Romans, where sin abounds, His grace abounds much more and to Him be all the glory. As John Newton writes in his famous hymn Amazing Grace, that sound is so sweet that saved a wretch like me.

• 4 years later...

Q1. (Psalm 69:12-18) How could David dare to ask anything from God after the shameful things he had done with Bathsheba and Uriah? 

• David’s approach to God after such a terrible act of sin, was not from a daring stance but from the stance of appeal to God’s mercy, love and grace. David above all, knew that he could rely on the undisputable character of God's mercy and grace.

How does God's grace and mercy function in the face of our sins? 

• The word of God teaches us that God’s grace and mercy endures forever. Therefore, God’s grace and mercy forever flows to us through the power of Jesus Christ blood when we, from the heart, confess and repent of our sins before Him. 

• 1 month later...

We all do shameful things. Most of our sins are done in private, usually in our thoughts, so we don’t face the social scorn David endured. What makes this story unusual is that David’s sin was “outed.” When it was hidden, David did not seek God. Only when his sin was exposed did David come to God.

The worst sort of social scorn is that which is deserved, or partly deserved. Because his sin had been exposed, David, in an odd way, was relieved of the heaviness of private guilt. When David repented and made Himself right with God, he was mostly concerned that he had sullied the reputation of God among tender believers.

How could David NOT come to God for forgiveness after his horrible sin? A believer has no choice but to run to God in dark moments like this. When the light of condemnation was glaringly pointed at him, there was nowhere else to go, after all. David believed God would judge him yet he also knew that God’s great love for David would assure his forgiveness.

But David asked for more than his own forgiveness. He asked to be rescued. He asked to be redeemed, that the weight of his sin would be borne by God, not himself. He wanted God to mitigate the consequences of his sin, which did happen, in part.

We may see the death of the child and the disloyalty of Solomon as “payback” for David’s sin, and perhaps they are, but I see it differently. David remained king, married the woman, had many children, and then died an old man with an amazing legacy including these psalms we are studying. Though this was a defining moment in his life, it appears that David learned how to control himself as well as gained humility. God made it good.

Our sovereign God knew when he anointed David this would occur and yet God still chose David. God then chose a flawed person for a great assignment. God did not reject David as He had rejected Saul because there was something about David appealed to God. God knew that David would not run from Him but toward Him. This must be what God wants, not perfection, but our returning, repenting and trusting Him with the consequences.