JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Psalm 69

Q1. (Psalm 69:12-18) How could David dare to ask anything from God after the shameful things he had done with Bathsheba and Uriah? How does God's grace and mercy function in the face of our sins?
David knew that if there was any saving grace it would only come through God and this is a lesson for all christians to learn from and that is to still speak to God even in our sinful ways, we still need God in our lives we still need His salvation an His Grace. David recognize that he had sin against and was extremely sorrowful for it and he knew his turn around came by asking of God for grace and mercy, and because of God grace and mercy we have the opportunity to ask for his forgiveness and establish a rightful relationship with the father

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Q1. (Psalm 69:12-18) How could David dare to ask anything from God after the shameful things he had done with Bathsheba and Uriah? How does God's grace and mercy function in the face of our sins?

David still loves God and knows that God still loves him. He suffers God's punishment, the loss of his and Bathsheba's child, and realizes he is guilty of iniquity, asking God to correct him and lift him up.

God is merciful to us in our iniquity, knowing that we are not perfect and will sin. Only Christ is perfect. If we give our sins, both thought and deed, to Christ, and repent and strive to sin no more, then will God forgive us and show us mercy.

Two instances of Scripture come to mind after reading this Psalm.

The first is Isaiah 55:7 "Let the wicked forsake his way and the unrighteous man his thoughts, and let him return to the Lord, and He will have Mercy on him, and to our God, for He will abundantly pardon."

The second is Psalm 103:8-13, written by David himself, "The Lord is merciful and gracious, slow to anger and plenteous in mercy. He will not always chide nor will he keep his anger forever. He hath not dealt with us after our sins;nor rewarded us according to our iniquities. For as the heaven is high above the earth, so great is his mercy toward them that fear him. As far as the east is from the west, so far hath he removed our transgressions from us."

• 5 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

I can not imagine God not reaching out to David with forgiveness. Isn't that what all this is about? Man screws up, asks for forgiveness and God loves us so much that he grants us his grace and we're forgiven. Then the cycle repeats itself over and over and over. Ain't God great?

God's grace and mercy gives David and us the courage to ask from God. God loves us, even when we are in sin. David repented and turned back to God, and God knew that David had a heart for God. God redeemed him, but David still paid a price in the physical for his sin - but did not lose the Holy Spirit and God's blessings. God (Jesus) died for our sins - past, present and future. And we are told in 1 John 1:9 If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us and cleanse us from all iniquity. God is very good.

• 1 month later...

He could ask God because he knew God was a loving, forgiving, and caring God. David knew he was in God's grace and mercy. It functions the same way in our sins. Our sins are forgiven by a loving, caring, Father. We are under His mercy and grace also.

Q1. (Psalm 69:12-18) How could David dare to ask anything from God after the shameful things he had done with Bathsheba and Uriah? How does God's grace and mercy function in the face of our sins? How could he not? David knew that God was the only one that could truly forgive him and get him out of this mess. The great thing about this is that David had enough God in him to know that he must repent, ask for deliverance, and make a clean start. God grace and mercy shows his love for us, that is, He is not only a forgiving God but also a God that forget, he don't continue to bring our past to surface he directs us to what we need to do next to stay protected in his loving arms. Even when we are in our sin God is still watching over us. If we think back of those time when we wasn't a Christian, what if we had a God that didn't care about us enought that He gave us a second, third, and some fourth chance to recover, get out of our sinful ways. I'm thinkful that even to day as I rest in my bed with the flu I can still find the Love for My lord to think him for just be God in Jesus Christ name I love him with all my heart and I'm greatful that he cared enough about me that he still watches over me.

• 1 month later...

ANS - It is only based on God's great love, mercy, and grace. I personally have experienced this love and mercy so greatly. I praise and thank the Lord. I have been drawn from the depths of sin, and have been delivered from the bonds of the enemy, and by his love and grace been set free and restored and renewed.

• 2 months later...

David dares just like any of us dare to lift our heads up to God and tell him our feelings... Like he doesn't know already how we feel. Everytime challenges and struggles come my way, I say " God I shouldn't of said that, or I shouldn't of done that and I'm sorry. I pray a blessing into this situation" And then I know God has already taken over even before I started my prayer. We acknowledge our sins confess them and then ask forgiveness. Praying every day to not do those things again.

God's Grace and Mercy function everyday for me. I struggle sometimes with judgment, which I'm sure I'm not the only one, however for me, I ask God right away to block out any images or nasty things I would say about the person and I decree every night the goodness of God. As of now I can only say blessings about the person, God has truly done a change in my heart. I love him for it too. I was selfish but now I love to give. Only because of GODS GRACE AND MERCY.

David showed regret and asked forgiveness.

When we do this sincere - He forgives.

God's grace and mercy are beyound our sins.

• 4 weeks later...

God knows our hearts very very deep. He know us better than we consciously know ourselves. When we recognize our sin, when our hearts are pained by our sin before our Father, He knows the truth of our deep feelings. If our regrets are sincere, we will be forgiven, no matter what. Also, there are consequences of sin, and these can not be avoided, or their is no lesson from the loving father. It is like a person going to jail after having committed a crime. We can forgive this person and we should. nonetheless, if the law has a formal punishment for such action, it probably will be put into effect but the judge and courts. God's grace and mercy are for our eternal souls, hence we can be forgiven and still need to pay some consequences to societe.

David's knowledge of his sinful nature obviously grieves him. The only way David can appeal to God after his disgraceful behavior with Bathsheba and his sinful handling of Uriah is not through his own merit or self righteousness (obviously lost!). David must lay aside his pride and instead appeal to the everlasting and consistent nature of God, that nature of abundant grace and mercy that God has toward his creation.

Our human (sinful) behavior tends to pull us away from God as we behave in self righteous/prideful ways. God's bottomless well of grace and mercy are ever drawing us toward His pure love and real righteousness. I liken it to the opposing forces of a magnet to attract and repel. Oh that I would respond more to God's pulling force and deny the repelling forces around me.

• 4 weeks later...

David was able to come boldly to the throne of God and ask for His help because David was sure of his relationship with Him. As for God's grace and mercy, we should expect nothing less than David did as we know, the Bible teaches, that God does NOT change. In good times and in bad times, Our God is a God of love and compassion, who showers us with His love and mercy, goodness, kindness, and grace. Always. We know this because we know that's the character of God... and we know His character NEVER changes.

David understood that clearly.

• 5 months later...

http://www.joyfulheart.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=667

Psa 69:12-18 Those who sit at the gate gossip about me, and drunkards make up songs about me. (13) May my prayer come to you at an acceptable time, O LORD. O God, out of the greatness of your mercy, answer me with the truth of your salvation. (14) Rescue me from the mud. Do not let me sink into it. I want to be rescued from those who hate me and from the deep water. (15) Do not let floodwaters sweep me away. Do not let the ocean swallow me up, or the pit close its mouth over me. (16) Answer me, O LORD, because your mercy is good. Out of your unlimited compassion, turn to me. (17) I am in trouble, so do not hide your face from me. Answer me quickly! (18) Come close, and defend my soul. Set me free because of my enemies.

David could go to God and ask for forgivness due to the love and grace of God. Just as we can as well, God wipes our slate clean when we mess up.

If we truly repent and try not to repeat the same sin over and over, God will forgive us, God does not harbour grudges against us. He is a loving God and knows that we are weak. :rolleyes:

The shameful thing that Daivd done with Bathsheba and Uriah it was bad, but most of the time God forgive us but we cannot forgive our self.That is want the devil want use to do is not ask for forgiveness ans lay in the sin.

In the face of sin God forgive us and he cast it in the sea of forgiveness not to remember no more

• 4 weeks later...

Because David remembered God's goodwill,grace and favor that He has for His children. God made a way for me by sending His son Jesus Christ who willing shed His blood to cover my sins, so we could have a relationship. The blood covered my past covers present and future. Its hard for our brain to wrap around that sometimes because it is a divine attribute not a human one. So don't let guilt and sin keep you from your Savior, run to Him,there is new mercy every day

• 2 weeks later...

David could approach God because he truly believed in God as a forgiving loving Father who is full of mercy. Plus, David was not unfamiliar to trouble. In this case, he is in "deep"; he knows that any sin is a sin against God. I has no other way out but to turn to God. But, David was a man after God's own heart. God is faithful to forgive us of our sins and to cleanse us of all unrighteousness. Grace and mercy works on the basis of forgiveness. Once we admit our failure, repent and turn from our sins then God will forgive us. However, sin does have consequences, though.

• 3 months later...

A1. (Psalm 69:12-18) God will always redeem a person, especially if they want to change. God's love for each of us is endless, and sometimes it is tough love.

Q1. (Psalm 69:12-18)

How could David dare to ask anything from God after the shameful things he had done with Bathsheba and Uriah?

David had messed up big time and his only way out was to call upon his Heavenly Father for help. Because of his adultery with Bathsheba and the subsequent murder of her husband Uriah he pleads for God

• 2 months later...

Q1. (Psalm 69:12-18) How could David dare to ask anything from God after the shameful things he had done with Bathsheba and Uriah? How does God's grace and mercy function in the face of our s

Guilt is an unrelenting taskmaster, and yet it is like most pain....it tells us something is wrong. I'm thinking that David was a "man after God's own heart" because he allowed himself to feel that guilt deeply, and grieve in horror over all the trouble he'd caused, and people he'd hurt. He knew about his grandmother Ruth, and how his grandfather Boaz was her kinsman/redeemer. So he had an close example of loving redemption. He knew he was a slave to his own guilt and to the devil. It's beautiful that he used those words that referred to buying back, and then to transferring ownership. Along with his understanding of the sanctuary sacrificial services, it's like he felt like he had allowed himself to be in the devil's grip and wanted to be restored to his Father God again.....and knew that God would have to pay a price in order to redeem him. And he was a man after God's own heart because in spite of his discouragement he persisted in banging on God's door, instead of shrinking back from him.

Our guilt causes us to reason that it's dishonest and wrong to appeal to God for forgiveness, and that God won't do it anyway. That's why sin is so awful. Besides the fact that we hurt others, our wrongdoing separates us from God, and causes us to think dark, despairing thoughts about him...causes us to be afraid of him. And rightly so! But it takes alot of humility, and persistance, and even courage to reach out to God continuously, regardless of how much in control our condemning thoughts are. And of course, such repentance and feeling after God is from him anyway!

• 4 months later...

Q1. (Psalm 69:12-18) How could David dare to ask anything from God after the shameful things he had done with Bathsheba and Uriah?

David had experienced God's grace, favor, forgiveness and deliverance many times before. He was relying on God's goodness and on his relationship with his Lord. He was no stranger to God, and no stranger to prayer and cried out to God to extend mercy and forgiveness to him for the despicable sin. He had been delivered from the lion and the bear, from Saul's spear many times, and from Goliath. Now he was in anguish because of the sin/mess of his own making.

How does God's grace and mercy function in the face of our sins?

At the cross, Jesus died for our sins....he died 2,000 years ago. Every sin He died for was future to His death. That precious blood cleanses us once and for all for everything we have done or will do. We live in the age of grace, which includes mercy and favor, since He took all of God's wrath upon His own body at the cross, so that we don't ever have to experience wrath, anger, or punishment. I John 1:9 tells us that If we confess our sins He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. (This precious grace doesn't give us a license to sin intentionally or carelessly, because we may reap consequences and those around us may as well since none of us are islands! We also may bring disgrace upon the body of Christ, and upon the Lord for our actions.)

• 4 months later...

David had a strong relationship with God as a shepherd boy. He grew up singing praises to the Lord and worshiping Him. David must have committed mistakes earlier too and experienced the forgiveness of His God. Trusting completely in the fact that Yahweh God is a God of love and mercy and forgives sin he has the confidence to approach God once again. Although David has committed a shameful thing he believes that God is God who forgives sin and will blot out all his transgressions. Because David had built a strong relationship with a merciful and loving God he returns back to the father to ask pardon trusting that God will be merciful to him and forgive him.

The Lord is compassionate and gracious, slow to anger, abounding in love. As father has compassion on his children, so the Lord has compassion on those who fear Him. when we like David have a strong relationship with God we have the confidence to approach him to receive his mercy and grace over any mistake that we have committed. when we turn to God with a repentant and contrite heart and take responsibility for the mistakes we have done and truly repent and choose to never commit that mistake again we know God is there to wash away our sin. The Blood of Jesus Christ God's Son cleanses us continually from all sin. We believe that God sent his only Son to die on the Cross and Jesus has paid for all our sins by His precious Blood. we receive mercy and grace and complete forgiveness of sin through the precious Blood of Jesus.

David was a man who loved God walked with God and he was known as a man after God's own heart!. He had a close relationship with his Father God and also experienced the love and faithfulness of God in his own life. He knew God well. After he commits one of the worst sins of his life he becomes helpless guilty and ashamed. He finds no one to go to nor anyone who could bring him out of such condemnation. Now he remembers that God alone is able to help him in his fallen state of sin. He knows that God can still redeem Him and save him. Therefore this faith and trust in yahweh God leads him to go once again and plead mercy before his God. David knew that God is still a God of love and compassion and he dared to go before Him even after he commited such an act.

God's grace and mercy alone is able to blot out our sins too. Whenever we go against God and sin, we get into guilt and condemnation. We may not be able to meet God or dwell in his presence. But if take a step and remember God i s not a man but God is God on his throne waiting for us to retrun and not to sin anymore,His mercy and grace shall fall upon us and we will be redeemed from every sin.God's grace and mercy is upon a repentant heart.

• 5 weeks later...

David knew his God because he had a very close walk with His God. He loved his God and his God loved him too. He was secured in God's love. He could rest on the unchanging character of God. He knew that God's mercy is new every morning. though he was unfaithful, his God is faithful at all times so he appeals to God not on his own worthiness but on the grace of God. He knew that God's grace was sufficient for him. To receive God's grace and mercy we must have the faith that not on our own but we have to believe and trust God.