JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Psalm 23

Q2. According to Psalm 23, how does the Lord our Shepherd quiet his sheep and give them confidence? How many ways can you find in this psalm?

He gives us rest, 'He makes me lie down...' so God will make you rest and he knows when you need to whether you know yourself or not.

He quenches our thirst, this can be literally or spiritually and emotionally.

He restores our souls, this could be through times of rest with Him. As we get worn down throughout the week He meets us in the times we need it most and calms us with the promises from his word.

He always leads us down the right path, whether or not we are following is another story, but He will go and find us when we get lost.

He is always with us.

He will praise us and encourage us in front of our enemies, we will be blessed.

He anoints our head with oil, we need the daily anointing as back in those days even when the sheep got to the final destinations there were still flies that would get inside their noses and lay eggs that got into their brain. The shepherd had to daily mix up a type of oil to smear on the sheep's nose to stop the flies getting in.

We will dwell in the house of the Lord forever if we follow him! That gives us reason to be confident

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q2. According to Psalm 23, how does the Lord our Shepherd quiet his sheep and give them confidence? How many ways can you find in this psalm?

http://www.joyfulheart.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=679

Psa 23:1 A Psalm of David. Jehovah is my Shepherd; I shall not want.

Psa 23:2 He makes me to lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside the still waters.

Psa 23:3 He restores my soul; He leads me in paths of righteousness for His name's sake.

Psa 23:4 Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for You are with me; Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me.

Psa 23:5 You prepare a table for me in the presence of my enemies; You anoint my head with oil; my cup runs over.

Psa 23:6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life; and I shall dwell in the house of Jehovah forever.

As in the previous psalm (question 1) God gives us rest and He restores us. There are quiet a few, rest, leadership, restoration, no fear, comfort, blessings, promises. This is a Psalm so filled with hope, with promises from God.

I often find myself quoting this psalm during the course of my day, it is a great comforting Psalm.

The lord quites has sheep by us having a relationship with him,That we will not want for anything,That our harvest will be ripe,That the storm will be quite,That he will keep my soul and that he will lead in the path of rightousness for his sake when I walk in danger path or in path of death I will not be afarid because god is with me.He will prepared me in front of my enemies. He have given the anoint in the oil, goodness and rightousness will follow me all the day of my life.

• 4 weeks later...

With His rod and staff He comforts me.

He is committed to deliver me from my enemies, He is my shelter. protector,provider. He has laid His life down to save my soul. He provides for all my needs, not wants. He leads me to safety. He quiets my soul.

• 3 weeks later...

The psalmist describes how the Lord quiets his sheep through his divine presence. The psalmist describes how God (1)makes a place for his sheep (us) to rest in green pastures;(2)leads his sheep (us) beside still waters; (3)is with us even though we experience the darkness of troubled times; (4) still can give us a place of rest even when our enemies are watching and hoping for our demise; (5) always have goodness and mercy at our back regardless of what happens.

• 2 months later...

A2. Psalm 23

According to Psalm 23 the Lord quiets us and gives us confidence by taking care of all our needs. both physical and moral. 11 ways.

Q2.

According to Psalm 23, how does the Lord our Shepherd quiet his sheep and give them confidence?

How many ways can you find in this psalm?

We will never lack food for our soul or body; He will see to all our physical needs giving us rest, peace, and contentment; His abundant loving care will help us recover and restore us; He will guide us in righteous ways; He will protect us from dangers; He will be with us all the days of our lives; and finally He will provide our eternal dwelling place.

• 7 months later...

Q2. According to Psalm 23, how does the Lord our Shepherd quiet his sheep and give them confidence?

He makes His Presence as my Lord, known! He reassures me that He is on the throne of Grace....in control, on top of every detail, aware of every next step into the future, and because He lives outside of time, I need have no concerns about the future. He reassures me that as my Shepherd, not only is He keenly aware of all my needs, He is my provider and provision, and promises they will be met in abundance. Because He is the Shepherd, I can enjoy just being His lamb, because He constantly guides, guards and protects me.

How many ways can you find in this psalm?

As my Shepherd, He is in authority. My care and protection and provision are His responsibility....I still have to "eat" or receive, but He leads me to the green pastures and cool, still waters of refreshing. He MAKES me lie down....that means when i'm physically tired, He wants me to rest. When the cares of the world have encroached and made in-roads into my soul, He commands that I stop and "lie down" on the inside....in His Presence, to bask in His peace and comfort and Presence. (He's been know to allow affliction, or enforced "rest" if I press too far away from His rest.)

Though the path might be steep and slippery, His feet are sure. (like it is right now....uncertainty abounds. We've been told our lease can't be signed in Sept. unless we agree to a complete refurbishing of our apartment, since all of them must be completed and ours is one that has not been....we either have to move out, or allow them to work around us, which will be like moving. After the completion they've said our rent will increase to $2,0000.00 per month...a $500.00 per month increase, which we cannot afford. He gave a promise in 1988 of a new home, before we lost ours in the 1990 recession. We're waiting with confident expectancy, as we have been since 1990....is this the time? It is impossible...but then Abraham and Sarah's promise was impossible...so we are waiting for His next step for us...)

In the meantime, our needs are met, He refreshes and restores, teaches and trains, loves and protects.....my "wolf" is Satan, who lurks and whispers, "You're going to be homeless! You can't afford the new rent on social security. Social security is bankrupt, and will end soon and you'll be living in a cardboard box on the street. You're too old to withstand another move.....You've waited all these years and you've been deceived....on and on he goes. But my Shepherd brings the promise to life again. He reminds me of His other Promises to care for us. He replaces anxiety, with hope and assurance. He hides me from the ravening wolf, under the shelter of His "wings"....close to His breast where I can feel His warmth and reassurance. He is with me. His rod of authority and staff of guidance are my promise that He'll show me the next step of comfort.

We are blessed with favor. I marvel that in this 100 + degree heat wave, we have air conditioning! We are surrounded by beauty! Our table is spread with plenty...I was given blueberries, blackberries and strawberries from a friends garden yesterday! Surely only His goodness and unfailing love surround me like a shield...and wherever the steps lead, I'm on the journey to everlasting life in his mansion, so I'm at rest. I will trust and praise and worship my Lord and sure footed Savior and God.

• 4 months later...

Psalm 23 is a psalm which gives peace and confidence to a believer. It is great great Psalm which assures us the the Good Shepherd is the one who leads our life. As we hear the voice of the Good shepherd he knows us too. The entire psalm pictures what a goos shepherd does for his sheep. The Lord Jesus is our shepherd and we are the sheep of his pasture He fills us with amazing peace and confidence when we are under his care.

Its a delight to know that the Lord does the same things as the shepherd .

When the Lord is my shepherd .. I am not in any want. He is the ones who provides all that I need.

He gives me rest in his presence. When I constantly live under his presence he leads meto green pastures. He makes me rest and lie down in green pastures of hope and love. He loves me and gives me peace which no man can give. He takes me to pools of fresh water. He annoints me with his Holy spirit and refreshes my thirsty soul.

When I see great darkness of trials around me.. I am not afraid because the Lord will lead me safely holding his rod and staff. He will fight every enemy and lead me through the valley of darkness. I am assured that I am taken safely out ...

He prepares a table of abundance and prosperity in my life. He prospers all the areas of my life . I am a healthy sheep feasting at His table.. My enemies shall see the goodness that the good Lord is lavishing upon me. I am treated as a honored guest... where he fills my life with ovwerflowing goodness.

Surely I am aasured that His mercy and goodness shall follow me the entire period of my life. No enemy can pursue me but only the goodness of the Lord shall take over..

The Good shepherd therefore is my

Provider

Healer

Leader guiding me in the right paths

Restorer.. as he fills me with strength when I am weak

Comforter who sees me through valleys of darkness and fear.

Wonderful Host who delights in me honoring me with good things.

I can quietly rest each day of my life ..in his glorious presence. When He is the leader.. I shall not perish but live..because He has died for me, He has laid down his life for me. He is the shepherd of my soul.. to whom I give control. Wherever He may lead I shall follow..I have made the choice.. to listen to His voice.. wherever he may lead I will go...

What a awesome God we serve!

The Lord is my everything and I shall not be in want. Psalm 23 gives me total confidence that the Lord is with me as a shepherd cares for his sheep. Sheep have no fear when the Shepherd is around them and taking care of them. It builds a strong confidence that the Lord is the source of everything. The Lord is my strength, my help, my comfort , my provider and when i declare the Lord is my Shepherd , I shall not be in want--- He the good Shepherd becomes the source of my existence and that fills me with great joy and i don't depend on anything but i look to my Jesus the Shepherd to take care of me.

The good Shepherd fills me with abundance of all kinds. He fills my soul with his love, joy , peace and also blesses me materially. He brings me into his glorious presence as i praise him and adore him- make him my Lord and Master and restores my soul with his peace and love. He guides me in the right paths and saves me from all wrong ways, wrong choices, wrong plans and decisions and saves me from all evil. i do not fear any evil for the Lord is with me and protects me and comforts me.

He exalts me in the presence of my enemies and anoints me with His Holy Spirit. His goodness and mercy follows me all the time. His mercies are new every morning and as i dwell in his presence daily- the good Lord Jesus my Shepherd becomes my security and i say with all joy and confidence-- THE LORD IS MY SHEPHERD, I SHALL NOT BE IN WANT. JESUS IS MY HOPE, JESUS IS MY JOY, JESUS IS MY COMFORT, JESUS IS MY PROVIDER,JESUS IS MY LOVE, JESUS IS MY GUIDE, JESUS IS MY DELIVERER , JESUS IS MY STRENGTH AND JESUS IS MY LORD.

• 2 years later...

The Lord our Shepherd will quiet his sheep by giving them the things that they need and that He is with them at all time. He quiets them by carrying the rod and staff because we know the when the time comes he will be there to protect us. Then He prepares a table for us before our enemies because he is the one that is in charge of things.

• 11 months later...

He promises to provide everything that is needed (v1).

He provides abundant green pastures to feed and quiet waters to drink, without any danger (v2).

He restores, repairs and revives (v3a).

He will guide and lead along the right path and direction in life (v3b).

He comforts in time of hardship-he promises his presence at all times (v4).

Even in the presence of enemies and adversity God will provide help in abundance-in this life and eternal life, to come (v5-6).

• 1 month later...

He provides for our physical needs.

He brings rest.

He refreshes our soul.

He teaches us.

He provides for us spiritually.

He protects us.

He rescues us from evil.

He abundantly provides .

He gives us eternal life.

He gives us mercy.

• 4 months later...

How does the Lord quite his sheep and give them confidence?  Because the Lord is our shepherd we will never want. He will provide for all of our physical needs; rest, shelter, food, water. The Lord will provide restoration and refreshing when we wonder away from him. The Lord will only lead us on the path of righteousness if we will only follow. When our lives take us through dark places he will protect us and lead us out if we keep following. Finally, the Lord not only provides for his sheep in this life but also in the next life. 

• 11 months later...

The Lord our Shepherd quietS his sheep and give them confidence by leading them safely to food and water. As well the Lord restores their soul by protecting them even to the point of death. Although David can hardly envision the gifts that God will give to his people through Jesus Messiah, he does, by gift of the spirit, indicate  that God loves us so much that he would lay down his own life for his people, as he did in Jesus and his ministry to the world.

• 4 months later...
On August 18, 2007 at 2:50 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

1. The Lord is our Shepherd our guide.

2. He meets all of our physical and emotional needs.

3. He protects us.

4. He guides us through tough times

5.  He feeds us and is our gracious host.

6. His love for us liberal and abundant.

7.he promises his love for now and in the future.

• 9 months later...

The Lord quiets his sheep by providing food, water and a place to rest. He gives them confidence because they know He will protect them and rescue them from danger. He will give them rest and restore them back to being whole again. They know and have faith in Him because of His staff and rod. He uses the rod to defend and protect them against all kinds of danger, it gives them comfort to know He will even endanger His own life for them. They trust that He knows the way and knows best how to get there.

He makes them lie down in green pastures. He leads them beside still waters. He restores their souls , and guides them. He comforts them with His staff and rod. The shepherd knows exactly where He is going and how to get there and His sheep trust in Him to get them there safely. He provides for all their needs.

He provides food

He provides restoration and renewing

He guides in righteous ways

Protection and assurance in fear

The Gracious Host

Eternal Life  

Six ways

I wish I could always trust God like David did in the Bible times that would make life a whole lot easier.

• 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...

As the Shepherd, He leads us, protects us, restores us and rescues us from danger. His rod and His staff is our comfort and confidence that He will never leave us nor forsake us when danger encircles us.

Because He is my Shepherd, I shall not lack anything. He leads me to have contentment in Him and thus giving me rest and refreshment. He restores and brings wholesomeness into my life through His loving care. He thus renews me and refreshes my soul. He leads me in the paths of righteousness because He is altogether righteous. Because He is beside me, I can rest and relax in spite of the paths that I am led through. He proved it to me that He would save me with His life, when He was pinned to the Cross on Calvary. He satisfies me with the abundance of His household and I can drink from the streams of rejoicing because of His steadfast love to me. I am satisfied in this life with fulfillment and purpose and it does not end here for I have eternal life in Him. I am assured that goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life.

• 4 years later...

The Lord quiets me (his sheep) by making me relax by laying down in a beautiful place with still waters and green grass. Then, he leads me to choose moral behavior and hems in this choice with his rod (punishment) and staff (protection).

--

I particularly appreciate the part of the psalm where David speaks of God's table at which he is both seated and anointed in the presence of his enemies. God, thus, vindicates his children. Publicly. Openly. 

Goodness and mercy follow David, not his rapacious enemies. He dwells in the house of the Lord now and in the future.

--

I pray this psalm over my life, right now.