JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Psalm 23

Ways the Great Shepherd cares for His sheep:

23:1-since the Lord is our Shepherd we should never want for anything

23:2-The Great Shepherd helps us find food, water, and shelter for our basic needs

23:3-He provides restoration and refeshing for our souls as well as guiding us along the path of righteousness.

23:4-He will lead us thru the valley of the shadow of death and help us not to fear

23:5-We need not fear our enemies because He will give us rest and put us at ease

23:6-The Great Shepherd, Jesus, promises us we will dwell with Him for eternity

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

According to Psalm 23, how does the Lord our Shepherd quiet his sheep and give them confidence? How many ways can you find in this psalm?

green pastures

still waters

he guides me

no fear

comfort with protection and guidance (rod and staff)

abundance

goodness and mercy

dwelling in the house of the Lord forever

• 2 weeks later...
A shepherd's role is huge and demanded a lot from them - both mentally and physically. This is the same for the Lord's role as our Shepherd! Our Lord and Saviour is there to lead and guide us, protect us, heal us and rescue us. How huge is His love for us that He does all this for us on a daily basis - twenty four seven??? Our Shepherd has laid down His life for us and there is no greater sacrifice He can make for us! He is still committed to deliver us from evil, and abundantly bless us! I have a renewed understanding and appreciation of this psalm now and will always think of what the Lord my Shepherd does for me every minute of every day. Thank you, oh my Father/Shepherd.

Q2. According to Psalm 23, how does the Lord our Shepherd quiet his sheep and give them confidence? How many ways can you find in this psalm?

These are the ways the Lord as our Shepherd quiets his sheep and gives them confidence: He provides for our needs in abundance. He gives peace that passes all understanding. He provides guidance and leadership through every situation we encounter in life. If we let God be our God, there is nothing in this life to fear. He restores and refreshes our souls. He leads us into righteousness.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

According to Psalm 23, the good shephered ensures that the sheep needs are taken care of and are secured/ safe. He does this by:

=Leading them in the right path away from danger and trouble;

=Protecting them from all form of danger;

=Healing them when they have wounds;

=Rescuing them when one is lost;

=Providing food, water and shelter;

=Helping the to find the best pasture and water;

=Guiding them that they may not stray.

Q2. According to Psalm 23, how does the Lord our Shepherd quiet his sheep and give them confidence? How many ways can you find in this psalm?

We know he is ther to protect us

1-he will lead us

2-protect us

3-heal us

4-rescue us

5-give us rest

6-displine us

7-give us security

• 3 weeks later...

He supplies my needs, gives me rest, restores my soul, leads me in paths of righteousness, comforts me when i am scared,

He makes me feel safe enough to rest comfortably (green pastures), unworried about potential enemies or troubles. He pays special attention to my fears, and helps me overcome them or go around this fear to make me feel safe (still waters). He "restores my soul" by rejouvinating me, refreshing me, like awakening after a good nights sleep. He guides me, He doesn't lead me, but walks with me and still allows choices. He is beside me, even mores so in troubling times. He has tools that I can see (rod and shaff) that I know are for my protection and assistance. He gives me more than I need, especially when I need it the most. My needs that are provided are food, drink, comfort, cleanliness, and rest. He lets me know that He will always be there for me, here and the here after.

And when he putteth forth his own sheep, he goeth before them, and the sheep follow him: for they know his voice. John 10:4 (KJV)

God has shown Himself to be truthful and faithful in my own life. That is why it is so easy to follow Him through our trials and tribulations. We know that we can count on Him to keep His promises, to care for, protect and love us. He wants what is best for us.

The Living Bible says it this way, "He gives me new strength. He helps me do what honors him the most." God strengthens us to be faithful and obedient, we can't do anything on our own. We are as helpless as babes. Our God quiets the sheep by making provisions for us, loving and guiding us. We gain confidence by seeing repeatedly His love and care for us. God lets me rest in the meadow grass and leads me beside the quiet streams. He gives me new strength. He helps me do what honors him the most. Psalms 23:2 (TLB) God heals, protects, leads, and rescues the sheep. I love that God rescues His sheep. "He is in the restoration and wholeness business," that one statement has brought to my heart an abundance of peace and joy. It is what I need to know at this time in my life. Praise God!!!

• 2 months later...

According to Psalm 23, how does the Lord our Shepherd quiet his sheep and give them confidence?

The Lord our Shepherd watches over His sheep, and preserves us. We can be confident that as the owner of sheep, sets such great store by them and they are of value, knowing that we belong to the Lord. As our God loves us, he is not only able , but willing to supply our needs. Notice that the words of this psalm are in the present tense. They are timeless and what was true for the psalmist is also true for us today. God has proven over and over that he is our Sheperd and we shall not want. Surely goodness and love shall follow me all the days of my life and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.

He has assured us of that victory through the birth, death and resurrection of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, through which we can claim victory, because he restores our souls daily with new grace and mercy.

How many ways can you find in this psalm?

He is my shepherd

I shall not want

He restores my soul

He guides me in the path of righteousness for his name's sake

I fear no evil for you are with me

Your rod and your staff they comfort me

You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies.

Q2. According to Psalm 23, how does the Lord our Shepherd quiet his sheep and give them confidence?

By loving them and comforting them. By providing for them, and by promising them that He will be with them always.

How many ways can you find in this psalm?

He leads them

He protects them

He heals them

He saves the lost :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

THE LORD QUIETS HIS SHEEP AND GIVES THEM CONFIDENCE BY PROVIDING FOR THEM.THERE'S A REST THAT I HAVE EXPERIENCED THAT COMES FROM NOTHING ELSE OTHER THAN THE KNOWLEDGE THAT I CAN TRULY DEPEND ON HIM TO PROVIDE.HE PROVIDES FOOD, RESTORATION AND PROTECTION. HE GUIDES ME AND HE EVEN PREPARES A TABLE BEFORE ME IN THE PRESENCE OF MY ENEMIES.I'VE NEVER TRULY KNOWN WHAT THE WORD ABUNDANCE MEANS BECAUSE OF A LOT OF POVERTY AS A CHILD, BUT I HAVE TO AGREE THAT HIS PROVISION IS LIBERAL AND ABUNDANT...GLORY.

• 1 month later...

Psalm 23, how does the Lord our Shepherd quiet his sheep and give them confidence? How many ways can you find in this psalm?

We humans are very much like sheep. We do not know for sure what we are, where we are, or why we live. Our only option is to trust and follow God, our shepherd, who alone knows the answers. God is also like a friend who invites you to eat with him, not secretly but openly, while your enemies watch. Doing this, God openly declares to be on your side. God cares for your friendship. Whether you have popular support or not doesn

• 1 month later...

The first verse of this Psalm pretty much says it all...the Lord is my shepherd I shall not want.

The Lord gives us leadership and guidance in all ways. With such leadership I will lack nothing (or want for nothing).

He gives us food, shelter, water while we live. He gives us spiritual courage, and teaches us the righteous path. He calms us and frees us from fear of death and evil wih his guidance, and makes us holy.

He is always with us, from birth to death, and after.

Before I accepted the Lord's presence and guidance, I was scornful of sheep, and made fun of "sheeple." I mistrusted the stupidity of sheep, was scared to be a sheep, was afraid that I would be misled and mis-led, and I valued my own independence and intelligence (?) far too much. Now I am grateful to have my shepherd and, with humility, learn anew everyday what it is to not want.

The other night I was reading Mark 6, and I was moved by Jesus' love for his flock, when, arriving in the desert to rest after much teaching and the murder of John the Baptist, Jesus is confronted by a mass of people looking for him. Rather than get exasperated and order them away because he is tired and hungry and needs rest, Jesus "...was moved with compassion toward them, because they were as sheep not having a shepherd: and he began to teach them many things." (Mark 6:34). After teaching, he then goes on to feed the masses with five loaves and two fishes, having his disciples

"...make all sit down in companies upon the green grass." (Mark 6:39), which echoes the second verse of Psalm 23, "He maketh me to lie down in green pastures..." (Ps 23:2)

Such is His devotion and love for us, for our physical and spiritual welfare. He is truly a Good Shepherd.

Thank You, Father, Thank You, Jesus.

More about sheep, sheeple, and our Good Shepherd below.

http://www.crosswalk.com/devotionals/girlfriends/11579000/

• 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...

He does it by giving us rest and peace in Him. God, through Christ and by the Holy Spirit, is so concrned about each of His children that He desires to love, care for, protect, guide, and be near his children just as a good shepherd does for his own sheep. The ways: I shall not want because I trust in His love and commitment to me. He maketh me to lie down because of His presence and nearness I can lie down in peace, free from all fear. My confident rest in His presence will be experienced in green pastures in Jesus and the Word of God. He leadeth me beside the still waters of His Holy Sporit. He restores my soul when I become discouraged. He re-energizes my soul through His power and grace. Thou artr with me in times of danger, difficulty, and even death, in every situation of life. God's rod and staff reassures me of His love and guidance in my life. Preparest a table before me, God is caring for my needs in the midst of the forces of evil that attempt to destroy my life and soul. Confronted daily by Satan and surrounded by an ungodly society, I am furnished with sufficient grace to live and rejoice in God's presence. Anointest my head with oil is God's special favor and blessing through the anointing of His Holy Spirit upon my mind, body, and spirit. Goodness and mercy is God's faithful love and kindness. No matter what happens, I can trust the Good Shepherd to work all things together for my good. The goal of my following the Shepherd and experencing His goodness and mercy is that one day I may be with the Lord forever, see His face and serve Him forever in His house.

The Lord our Sheperd quiet his sheep and give them confidence by first of all identifying who He is. He is the Shepherd, that give us the confidence that as long as we know and except that He is our Shepherd we will want for nothing. He give us rest, peace, and strenght to go through and make. He reassure us that we don't have to fear evil that may try to come up against us. He comfort me, and prepares food for me to eat (His word) Anointed my head with oil, and overflow my cup of peace, love, joy,. He gave His Son Jesus who came and died for us and now we are sure that his Goodness and merchy shall be with us all the days of our life if we live right and when are days here on this side is over we have the will be in heaven with Him for ever. He gives me peace of mine to rest in His Love will He direct my path for my life. Love you Lord in Jesus Name I thank you.

• 1 month later...

ANS - He settles our hearts in places of quietness (green pastures), and leads us where it is calm and we can drink deeply of His Spirit (still waters); He restores us as we do this, and guides us in His paths. His presence and His Word (rod and staff) comforts and protects us; He fills me with His Holy Spirit.

• 1 month later...

He makes sure we don't lack anything (vs. 1).

He provides (vs. 2).

He leads (vs. 2).

He refreshes the soul (vs. 3).

He walks in front to let us walk in His way (vs. 3).

He protects us, even in the highes danger (vs. 4).

He comforts (vs. 4).

He is our host (vs. 5).

He takes care forever (vs. 6).

• 3 weeks later...

Knowing The shepherd is carrying the rod and staff is a reminder of God's authority in this world and of his love and protection for us. He leads us to places where sometime look and appear dangerous but with God at our side it can seem satisfying and accomplished. The whole psalm is filled with God's characteristics towards us and towards our enemies. He is refreshing, he is full of abundance for us, he is pursuing us comforting and encouraging us, he leads us to safe waters and guides us through storms, he heals us and protects, he rescues us when we are lost and restores us when we need our mind and soul renewed.

• 3 weeks later...

This psalm is not intermingled with prayers, and does not complain and seek relief. It contains a simple but elegant thanksgiving. And provides confidence with these calming images:

1 to lie down in green pastures:

2 to go beside the still waters.

3 to have a restored soul:

4. to follow the paths of righteousness, for his name

This psalm is not intermingled with prayers, and does not complain and seek relief. It contains a simple but elegant thanksgiving. And provides confidence with these calming images:

1 to lie down in green pastures:

2 to go beside the still waters.

3 to have a restored soul:

4. to follow the paths of righteousness, for his name

(1) God provides abundantly so that we have no wants

(2) God directs our paths

(3) God plans our life to be for His glory

(4) God banishes our fears

(5) God remains with us

(6) God disciplines (rod) and protects us (staff)

(7) God invites us to a life of abundance

(8) God anoints us for tasks but prepares us fully and completely

(9) God eagerly pursues us and invites us to make our home forever with Him