JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Psalm 103

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q1. (Psalm 103) Which one or two aspects of God's character mentioned in this Psalm stand out to you? Why do you think the Exodus was so foundational in Israel's understanding of God? According to Psalm 103:10-12, what are the limits to God's forgiveness?

(A) Aspects of God's character= God is compassionate at all times, He is very forgiving this is from here to eternity.God loves us so much , He tolerates some of the wrong things we do at times, allowing us time to "get it right" when we don't He does what He has to do with/for us.

(B) Because of compassion we are redeemed. His redemption is freely given to those of us who believe and trust Him.

© The Exodus was a learning experience for Israel. They had to learn how to appreciate God.

(D) There is no limit to God's forgiveness. When Jesus died on the cross He took our sins upon Himself, thus making it possible for God to forgive us. His mercy endureth forever. What a loving Father God is !

• 3 months later...

Q1. (Psalm 103) Which one or two aspects of God's character mentioned in this Psalm stand out to you? Why do you think the Exodus was so foundational in Israel's understanding of God? According to Psalm 103:10-12, what are the limits to God's forgiveness?

This Psalm is so rich with description of God's goodness that it is hard to choose just one or 2! I praise Him for satisfying my desires with good things, for his patient forgiveness. The Exodus re-created an identity for the people of God, no longer slaves, but called out and shepherded by God through Moses and the pillars of fire and cloud. God's forgiveness is amazingly vast. This description reminds me of Paul's prayer in Ephesians 3, that we may have power to grasp how wide and high and deep is God's love for us.

• 2 months later...

Q1. (Psalm 103) Which one or two aspects of God's character mentioned in this Psalm stand out to you?

This Psalm is one of my favorites! It's impossible to pick just one or two aspects. Forgiveness and healing are key to me, but today I'm thrilled to be reminded of His redeeming my life....the once wrecked, abused and hopeless life now has meaning and purpose, joy and hope, because of His mercy and love shown to me. V 14 always comes to mind when I feel pressure to perform! He brought this verse to me years ago and I still sigh with relief when I think of it. "He knows my frame. He remembers and imprints on His heart that I am dust." Then I remember that anything He calls me to do will only be accomplished as I surrender to Him and allow Him to do the work through me....this removes all pressure and preconceived ideas I might have.

Why do you think the Exodus was so foundational in Israel's understanding of God?

They had never known freedom, only slavery at the hands of cruel taskmasters. They were divinely rescued and led into freedom by His mercy and grace! It's wonderful to see that they were under grace until Mt. Sinai when they arrogantly said to Moses "All that God commands, we will do".....oops! So the law was given to demonstrate that they in their own strength could not "do all that He commands", and that they were sinners. The Exodus demonstrated that they needed a Shepherd, as exemplified in Moses, who as the under shepherd to the Shepherd, led them step by step. They learned of God's mercy and forgiveness, His provision of their daily bread and water....and fire at night and shade by day.

According to Psalm 103:10-12, what are the limits to God's forgiveness?

As far as the East is from the West....His forgiveness is unlimited! He forgives then buries them in the deep sea (Micah 7:19) and as Corrie Ten Boom said "then He puts out a NO FISHING sign", for we are to forgive ourselves and not bring it up to Him again!

• 3 years later...

I love the part of God’s character that is mentioned in this psalm because He forgive, redeems, and satisfies. To me that is the most important part.

I think that the Exodus was so foundational to Israel’s understanding to God because it showed them how much he loved them. It also showed he would forgive them because they were always trying God’s limits.

According to Psalm 103:10-12 God’s limits are as high as the heavens and as far as the east is from the west.

• 11 months later...

God is gracious and merciful-"he does not treat us as our sins deserve" (v10). He forgives us completely, as high as the heavens are above the earth and as far as the east is from the west-"...he removed our transgressions from us" (v12)- there are no limits to his forgiveness. This is what stands out for me. I would not be where I am today without him, his love and compassion has impacted my life. Our God never changes (Numbers 23:19). In Exodus God made a covenant with his people. He showed great mercy to them by giving them the 10 commandments- he showed them that he is a relational God (Exodus 19:3-5).

• 1 month later...

. (Psalm 103) Which one or two aspects of God's character mentioned in this Psalm stand out to you? Why do you think the Exodus was so foundational in Israel's understanding of God? According to Psalm 103:10-12, what are the limits to God's forgiveness?

God's compassion to us as his children, he knows we are dust and he forgives us all our sins. When God rescued Israel from Egypt he showed them his great power, He took care of all their needs and protected them . He became more a personal God. God's forgiveness is amazing, He removes our sin as far as the East is from the West.

• 1 year later...

The attribute of forgiveness and his ability to renew us and like a young eagle are the two aspects of God's character that stand up to me. Although it must be sent that all of the aspects of God's character exceptional and attractive to a devout believer.

The Exodus is important in the belief of the Israelite people in that it was something that was done for all the people. It is reasonably consistent with the  Nazareth Declaration that Jesus makes in the Book of Luke chapter 4 verses 16 to 18- Cooper claimed a good news to the poor, Liberty to the captives recovery of sight to the blind, to set at Liberty those who are oppressed and to proclaim the year of the Lord's favor. This is the Christian goal as proclaimed by Jesus, Paul and throughout the Old and New Testaments.

This is the important thing, there is no limits to the Forgiveness of God. His heart is so big, his compassion so deep and his love so great that he can swallow all our sins up into a great, forgettable Abyss from which they will not return. God is our Helper and our strength throughout the ages. Praise and bless the Lord. Amen . 

• 4 months later...
On August 18, 2007 at 3:00 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

In Exodus, the Israelites learned that their God was a loving and forgiving God.  But a God who wants to worshiped and obeyed.  Though their sins and ours are so grave their is nothing that they or we can do that he will not a onion them/ us.  That is the very foundation of our faith that we are never abondoned nor unloved.  There are no limits to God's forgiveness.

• 9 months later...

For me, God’s forgiveness and mercy or love stand out. Time and time again I fail to spend time with Him as I should. Yet he still loves me and forgives me. He still has compassion on me in my state. He understands how hard it is for me to praise Him as I should. He is always patient and full of compassion and love. He always forgives me for my sins and gives me a new start again. Although at times I feel unworthy He never gives up on me. He keeps reaching out in love and drawing me back to Him.

I believe that the Exodus was foundational in their understanding of God because they had to rely on Him after they left Egypt. He supplied them with food and water and kept them safe. Through His acts, they learned about who He was and His attributes. But Moses learned about His ways when he talked with God. Moses grew closer to God because he spent time with Him. The Israelites learned more from when God showered them with manna and quail. They learned about his compassion and mercy even when they doubted Him. But they also learned that God hated idolatry and hated when they complained and murmured and spoke against their leaders. They learned how fierce His anger could be when they were disobedient. Through the Exodus, they learned about God that they would never have gotten by staying in Egypt and relying on the Egyptians.

According to the verses, there are no limits to His forgiveness. For it goes as high as the heavens and reaches from the east to the west. Unlike us, He never stops and never thinks that we do not deserve to be forgiven. God is always ready to forgive us when we ask Him to.

Q1. (Psalm 103) Which one or two aspects of God's character mentioned in this Psalm stand out to you? Why do you think the Exodus was so foundational in Israel's understanding of God? According to Psalm 103:10-12, what are the limits to God's forgiveness?There are exactly two aspects of God’s character in the Psalm that stand out to me. It is the forgiveness of the iniquities and the healing of all diseases. The reasons behind it are simple the cross of Calvary that he died upon for our sins as our Saviour I cannot imagine the pain he endured as they pounded the spikes into His hands and feet! Also the stripes upon His back that he bore for our healing I cannot imagine how painful they were when they beat Him with the cat of nine tails. I believe the Exodus was essential for Israel because they needed to understand who He was through how He would provide them food and water and other things. I also believe it was essential because of the fact that He is God and He cared enough to fight for them more than once. His forgiveness is endless and so there is no limits to it.

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...

All the aspects of God’s character mentioned in this favorite Psalm of mine stand out to me. If one or two aspects have to be pointed then it would be His forgiveness and His love towards us. Because of the sacrifice of our Lord Jesus Christ we experience His forgiveness and love as adopted sons of His kingdom. Our heavenly Father treated Jesus the way we deserve to be treated so that He could treat us the way Jesus deserves to be treated. This is amazing love. How great is the Father’s love for us that He should translate us from the kingdom of darkness into the kingdom of the Son of His love.

In Exodus 34:6-7, we see nine characteristics of God laid down. The first characteristic is not that He is a holy God, but a compassionate God. It was His compassion towards us that led to our redemption and the book of Exodus is all about redemption of His people. In Exodus 6:6-8 we see the “I wills” of God, which form the basis of Passover. He says 1) I will bring you out from under the burdens of Egyptians (salvation), 2) I will rid you out of their bondage (liberty) 3) I will redeem you with a stretched out arm and with great judgements (redemption) 4) I will take you to me for a people (adoption) and I will be to you a God (protection) 5) I will bring you in unto the land, concerning the which I did swear to give it to Abraham, to Isaac, and to Jacob (inheritance) and I will give it you for an heritage (legacy). If they were redeemed from Egypt a picture of the world, we were redeemed from the slavery of sin. Truly He redeemed us with outstretched arms pinned to a tree.

It is limitless, for as far as the heavens are high above the earth and as far as the east is from the west so far has He removed our transgressions from us. In an expanding universe the heavens are becoming higher and higher from the earth. It is interesting that He does not use as far as the north is from the south but uses east and west. If a person reaches north then the next step he takes will lead him to the south, but a person travels west he is never going to reach east for he will still be traveling to the west.

• 4 years later...

I love Rosesam's answer above.

As we read through the psalms, we take from them what we need at a particular time in our lives. Right now, I need God's love and deliverance, so as I read the psalm, that's what is quickened to me. I find God's love incomprehensible. The fact that He forgives all of my doubts, meandering mind, inability to feel His love or give love in turn ... so much, makes me want to drop to my knees in gratefulness.

The symbolism of the exodus, it's story, runs deep in all of us, Jews and Christians alike. God plucked a group of Israelites out of abject poverty and slavery ... He saved and delivered them. They would have remained Israelites if they had stayed in Egypt, so God was not saving their identity, but their persons. He cared for those particular people at that time. 

His compassion was glorious to those who received it, to those who ran through the walls of the Red Sea waters, to those he saved and rescued. "The Lord's love is with those who fear Him." I fear Him. But in the back of my mind, I wonder how God loved the Israelites who feared Him, kept their rituals and laws intact, and were not rescued, the generations of Israelites before the great exodus. He must have had some compensatory way of showing love. It says that the enslaved Israelites grew stronger when the tasks given to them became more onerous. God strengthened them. He gave fecundity in poverty. They may not have been rescued, but they were loved in some sense.

---

This is what strikes me about this passage: The LORD, the LORD, the compassionate and gracious God, slow to anger, abounding in love and faithfulness, maintaining love to thousands, and forgiving wickedness, rebellion and sin.

This is the God we worship. Compassionate. Gracious. Slow to anger. Exceedingly loving and faithful. Forgiving.

• 3 weeks later...

Q1. (Psalm 103)
Which one or two aspects of God's character mentioned in this Psalm stand out to you?

• His LOVE and COMPASSION stands out to me.

Why do you think the Exodus was so foundational in Israel's understanding of God?

• Because Israel had before experienced God's judgement in their captivity for their disobedience towards Him. No doubt as a people they felt like God had forgotten about them or that God was angry with them forever. The flipside for them was the moment of Exodus when God's love for them was made manifestly fierce, fighting for them and destroying all their enemies to finally lead them to experience deliverance with the parting of the red sea.   

According to Psalm 103:10-12, what are the limits to God's forgiveness?
  • Limitless...