JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Mary's Response to the Angel

Q4 Elizabeth's pregnancy and Mary's strong faith confirmed by the angel's remark that

'nothing is impossible with God' prompted May's positive response to the angel.

We should imitate and follow Mary's example of trust, strong faith, simplicity,

obedience and humble submission to God's will in our lives.

Mary's love and trust in God, her humble submission and finally her 'Yes' to God

to become His handmaid.

When we respond to God, we are actually surrendering ourselves to allow God to

control of our lives. In total submission unconditionally to carry on His work

of redemption.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q4. (Luke 1:38) What is the essence of Mary's positive response to the angel? What can we learn from her response for our own lives? In what sense was Mary's response an "informed consent"? When we respond to God, what do we consent to?

The essence of Mary's positive response to the angel was her submission to God as His Servant. From Mary's response we too can learn submit to God's will as His servants. Mary's response was an "informed consent" in that she had heard from the messenger that her cousin who was barren was with child and his confirmation that "nothing was impossible with God." When we respond to God, we consent to submitting as His servant and allow His will to be done.

She accepted what Gabriel said. Her submission to the Holy Spirits words and totally willingness to accept them. We need to be more accepting as well obedient to what the Holy Spirit says and tells us. She said that nothing was is possible with God. We are his servants and we consent to all that is in his word and his teachings, for our everyday lives.

We already know that Mary was "most favored" by God. That would indicate to me that she was used to obeying God. She was raised that way by her parents. (We should keep that in mind for ourselves) Mary was very willing to submit to God. Mary had a choice to make as we all do, obey God or disobey God. Mary submitted to God's will as should we.

Q4. (Luke 1:38)

What is the essence of Mary's positive response to the angel?

What can we learn from her response for our own lives?

In what sense was Mary's response an "informed consent"?

When we respond to God, what do we consent to?

Mary is eager to be a servant of the Lord; ready to do His will and to be used for carrying out His purpose. She knew that becoming pregnant at this particular time, before her marriage to Joseph had taken place, would expose her to criticism and ridicule; she could even have been stoned to death (see Deut 22:23 f.). Yet she completely surrendered to our Lord. She placed herself, body and soul, at the disposal of the God who loved her and who, by means of this promised pregnancy and childbirth, was bestowing upon her an inestimable blessing. So it is with us; we should completely surrender to God; let His will prevail in our lives. We should joyfully serve Him, and live a life obedient to Him, knowing that He is faithful to do what is best for us.

Q4. (Luke 1:38) What is the essence of Mary's positive response to the angel? What can we learn from her response for our own lives? In what sense was Mary's response an "informed consent"? When we respond to God, what do we consent to?

The essence is that Mary completely submits to the Lord - even though for her, this will mean an uncertain dangerous future.

That we do that unconditionally.

It was going to happen anyway.

We accept that He is in control/ in charge/ ...

Q4. (Luke 1:38) What is the essence of Mary's positive response to the angel? Mary's response is one of absolute submission to the will of God as his servant.

What can we learn from her response for our own lives? That we should submit to his will in everything and to trust him for everything.

In what sense was Mary's response an "informed consent"? In response to her question, the angel had told her everything that would happen. In that sense she knew exactly what she was letting herself in for. However, she did have faith that God would provide for her.

When we respond to God, what do we consent to? We should be giving ourselves absolutely to his will having faith that His will is the best course for us.

The essence of Mary's response is that she was a young woman with a lot of faith and she was willing to be obedient. We need to realize that if this young woman was willing to take a chance with what all could happen to her, we need to step out in faith as well and not constantly be worrying about what might hasppen to us or what others might think. The Lord will sustain us whatever he provides for us. This was an informed consent in she knew of possible consequences: rejection by her family, the townspeople, and her bethrothed. She knew as well that obedience could cost her her life.

When we let go and "let God", we do not know what we are facing either. There could be hardships, broken relationships, even death. There is persecution of Christians today which will only increase but we must put ourselves in God's hands and our trust in Him. Mary is our shining example.

To let the reader know that submission to God and His Word, will result in lasting, outstanding and miraculous adventures.

That if we allow God to be in control over our life, we can expect great things to happen in our lives and His Will to be fulfilled on this earth through us.

Mary understood what God was asking of her. The angel Gabriel gave her a detailed explanation of what to expect before, after and during conception.

We are consenting to our very purpose in life. We are allowing God to come into our lives and take over and do what we were destined (since the beginning) to do. A fulfilled destiny is a joyous and adventurous destiny.

She states that she is the Lord's servant.

We must be open to God's presence and accept His will.

When she said: "May it be to me as you have said."

Allowing Him into our lives and ageeing to obey Him.

I believe that her true heart dictated her response. Humility,belief, trust, understanding of who God is.

I learn the importance of staying close to God on a daily basis will help in the long run. Especially when I don't understand and get the whole picture. I will have the faith to trust and accept the outcome.

I believe her sense of willingness and submission was her informed consent. Because of her understanding of who God is and what he can do.

When I respond to God I am consenting to understand by my application.

Although Mary was uncleared with the situation unbelief and troubled because she is God fearing servant.

She entrusted to God the situation that is Mary's informed consent.When we repond to God we consent the Holy

Spirit to take over us.

Gener

It bothers me a little that you spoke of Mary taking the easy way out. I don't think God was giving her the option of saying no. If she hadn't wished to submit, did she really have a choice? Also I will personally not refer to her as St. Mary.

• 2 weeks later...

The Essence of Mary's response to the angle is, an extraordinary event manifesting divine intervention in human affairs."

Her response teaches us that we must be obident to the voice of the Lord, we must trust Him, and that we are all servants of the Lord,

Her resposne cosnent was informed by her answer "be it unto me according to thy word."

When we respond to God we give consent to His will.

Mary, the name, means rebellion. We all, have in our lives been guilty of rebellion against God. But God, in His covenant lovingkindness, continues to seek and to call out His sheep. Mary hears....( to hear....has an understood though not always spoken word picture....and that is if I truly hear....then I go on further and I answer the call....AND I obey). Mary did this. Even though human...as are we all....she heard and obeyed. She recognised herself as not just a slave, but recognised herself as a bondslave. She had in her mind, been set free, and then of her own will and action, submitted willingly back to God her LORD and master. That willing submission was her "informed consent".

The essence of Mary's response was submission to God as Lord of her life.

When we claim Jesus as Lord of our lives we need to be ready to do whatever God asks whenever He asks it. We should trust that He knows what's best and will work everything out to the good of those who love God and are called according to His purpose.

As I said above, she could and we can be confident that God knows and desires what is best for us.

We consent to allowing God to make any claim He wants to on our lives, any time He wants to do it.

• 9 months later...

The essence of Mary's positive response was that of someone that is totally committed tto God. I want to say, because very little is known about Mary's upbringing, that she always did what she was told to do,especially if God was the one telling her. She was willing to do whatever God told her to do.

If only all people would be as dilligent as Mary was to do the will of God we would all be able to get along in this wild and crazy world. We must remember that GOD IS IN CONTROL. Whatever happens happens because He wants it to... Either to teach us a lesson or just because He can!!!

• 1 month later...

SHE WAS BEING OBEDIENT TO GOD IN THE REPLY TO THE ANGEL. WE LEARN THAT WE MUST ALSO BE OBEDIENT AND TOTALLY RESPONSIVE, WHEN WE REPLY IN THE SAME WAY. WE LEARN WE MUST BE OBEDIENT AT ALL TIMES. SHE WAS CONSENTING THAT SHE FULLY UNDERSTOOD WHERE SHE STOOD AND THAT SHE MUST BE OBEDIENT. WHEN WE RESPOND TO GOD, WE CONSENT TO HIS LIVING IN OUR HEARTS AND CONSENTING TO FOLLOW HIM, ALWAYS.

• 2 weeks later...

Mary's response serves as a model for the response each professing Christian should make to God's call. We should exhibit the same trust in God's motives and abilities, knowing that He calls us into union with Him through obedience of Him.

I'm amused by the characterization of Mary's response as "informed consent". How really informed are we, really? We are as informed as Scripture permits us to be, if we learn its message and open ourselves to faith in that message. Mary was apparently as "informed" as she felt was necessary to her call, judging by her lack of any more than nominal hesitation to participate in this part of God's plan.

When we respond to God, we consent to love Him and to love His creation (i.e., to love others as we love ourselves) and to participate in His plan to reconcile Himself with the sin-burdened world.

She was completely submissive to the will of God....trusting her life in His.

That all we need is to put our hand in the Hand of God and He will lead us in our walk. It might be difficult but trust is the key.

She knew what the response of her people would be....she was a young engaged woman....and yet she told the angel she was the servant of God to do His will with her.

We consent to be in His will...to follow the path He has set before us....to serve and worship Him.

Mary proves to be a genuine believer, as she willingly totally yields her plans for life to the Lord's. By faith she demonstrates love for God in saying yes to a plan that can not make any sense to the rational mind. We can draw from her absolute yielded position, and follow the same. The Bible is full of divine intervention that isn't rational to the natural mind, and Christians will be given ample opportunity to prefer the Lord's purpose to their own. It is unlikely Mary knows how it will all happen in detail, but she has willingly placed God's will done God's way at the forefront. The story bears out that she will let God deal with Joseph's concerns, and her reputation. Mary provides us with a great example of devotion lived with humility. She is an awesome example of grace!

The essence of Mary's positive response is simply FAITH in God. her consent was informed because she loved God and had great faith. Her allegiance was to God and God alone.

We can learn that whatever God ask of us, we will agree to do out of faith, to honor and to serve Him. No matter what the circumstances of our lives are, we are His humble servant.

I consent and most humble beg God to always be the center of my existence, my all in All, my everything. He is First in my life. I ask him always to show me the way to serve Him,reveal my spiritual gifts,and to walk in obedience to Him.

I ask him daily to show me HIS plans for the day..not MY plans for the day!

Answer:

1 What is the essence of Mary's positive response to the angel?

Obedience to GOD.

2. What can we learn from her response for our own lives?

We must not look at our circumstances,the hardship,in life.We should stick and value the message from the WORD of GOD as it is written in The BIBLE.

If we have revelation,knowledge,we must pursue it with fervor irregardless of the present contrary circumstances.

PUT GOD above all..Put God WORD first..and just TRUST AND OBEY..

3. In what sense was Mary's response an "informed consent"?

When Mary,received the Word in Her Heart,and Confess the LORDSHIP of GOD in her life,much over than herself..I AM THE LORD SERVANT.(LUKE 1:38-.. Behold the handmaid( a female slave,involuntarily or voluntarily) of the Lord..

4. When we respond to God, what do we consent to?

LET THY WILL BE DONE,HERE ON EARTH AS YOU WILLED IT IN HEAVEN

MARANATHA

4. a. She was willing and obedient to submit herself to the will of God.

b. We responded to the call of God when by his grace and mercy chose us to be His servant. He even gave us the faith to respond ( a gift of God). God has His best for us that is why we need to respond to His call with faith and obedience.

c. Mary's response was with an informed consent because she asked how could this be, the angel told her, and she consented to the miracle God was about to do in her life, the birth of the Son of God.

d. We consent to His having full control of our lives by walking in the Spirit and not in the flesh.