JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Mary's Response to the Angel

The essence of Mary's positive response to the angel was that she was obedient to the will of God.

What we can learn from Mary's response in our own lives is that we should be willing to obey the plans the Lord has for us even if they may seem to go against the flow.

Mary's response was an "informed consent" in that by saying ' I am the Lord's servant, May it be to me as you have said', she was accepting that she would be the mother of the Messiah.

When we respond to God we consent to place our trust in Him and be obedient to His will for us.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q4. (Luke 1:38) What is the essence of Mary's positive response to the angel? What can we learn from her response for our own lives? In what sense was Mary's response an "informed consent"? When we respond to God, what do we consent to?
MARY TOTASLLY SUBMITTED TO GOD ...SHE HAD FAITH ..TO BE HIS SERVANT ... WE ARE GOD'S SERVENANT ..WE SUBMIT TO LOVE HIM AND BELIEVE IN HIM ..TRUST IN HIM .. BE THE IMAGE OF HIM .. FOLLOW HIS WAYS... LIVE THE WAY OF THE BIBLE NOT THE WAY OF THE WORLD!

Q4. (Luke 1:38) What is the essence of Mary's positive response to the angel? What can we learn from her response for our own lives? In what sense was Mary's response an "informed consent"? When we respond to God, what do we consent to?

Even though it may be an informed consent - it was very difficult for Mary since she was so confused that she was supposedly bearing an "illegitimate "child in the eyes of the world - but she took the courage and faith to respond positively tilting twrd God and not listening to what the World, the Flesh and The DEvil would say

Mary completely gave herself to the Lord. Her life was His. She agree that the Lord knew best even when it seemed to be the worst thing she could do. We very often bulk at what and where the Lord is leading us because it may seem a bit uncomfortable...or maybe even we dont want to look foolish...or even it could be dangerous but by looking at Mary we need to realize that everything the Lord demands of us is for our own good. Why would we even think to question what the Lord provides and wants for us.

Mary gave the Lord out of love and fear complete control of her life ...to do as He saw fit...and when we respond we should do exactly the same. We should allow the Lord to lead us where He wants us to be. We should consent to listen to the Lord and obey. Who else has nothing but our own welfare ...who else knows exactly what we need and what we should have. We all need to pray that we will consent to what God has planned for us...to follow his every plan for us...and to know the joy that following the Lord brings

It is the fact that she is ready to do as Her God tells her to.She is submitting to God's will no matter what the cost to her life she know that God is in charge and capable of doing what He says.

That we must be willing to submit with out question to God's plan for our life.

It was informed consent because she was willimg to submit with out any disbelief. She had faith that God could do all the things that the Angel told her He would do.

We usually consent to ok Lord as long as it don't cost me anything or I have to give up something I will be your servent. When we are right with the Spirit we submit completely willing to live the life that Jesus has prepared for us.

Mary totally accepted this without question. She had to have had doubts in the back of her head, but answered instead with the faith of her heart. Man, if only we could accept the will of the Lord in the same manner in our lives!

As far as informed consent....how differently would things have gone if she had answered, "Wait a minute! No one asked me!!" She is a great example of faith for us because she didn't answer this way. We often don't respond in the same way of consent though. We ask for explanations, we give God suggestions, we do everything BUT what Mary did!

Mary was obient, she said let it be according to your word. She did not make up excuses, or give reasons why not. She listened.

We should learn from Mary to listen and obey the Lord in our lives.

Mary listened and took it (message) at face value.

We respond to God and consent to his word

Mary's positive response to the angel was the correct answer, not to doubt and submit yourself to the Lord's work no matter what he wants us to do.. We should be submissive also.

• 10 months later...

Mary accepted the will of God and did not question this. She accepted this on basis of faith without understanding how this would happen. We can learn from this that God's will is best for our lives even though we may not understand the reasons.

Mary acceptance was informed consent in that she accepted this even knowing there would be hardships. When we respond to God. we consent to bear any burdens associated with living according to His will know His will is best for us.

The essence of Mary's positive response to Gabriel is her surrender to God's will. We can learn to surrender by her example. Mary's response was an informed consent because Gabriel explained the matter to her when she asked. When we respond to God, we consent to listen to Him and do His will.

• 2 weeks later...

[/quot

The essence of Mary's response is phenomenal! Her faith is so encouraging! Look at what she is facing by being a virgin and carrying a baby - - possible death for lying, for having relations with someone other than her husband, embarrassing her family, facing Joseph (at this point Joseph had not been approached). A young woman facing all of these things and then she answers our Lord, "I am the Lord's servant. May it be to me as you have said." How powerful!

We can learn from this story as we can from so many other stories in the Bible, that it doesn't matter what other people say, or think...as long as what we are doing is right in the eyes of God, then we must put complete faith in God and move forward. When we respond to God, we are consenting to our faith in God that we will be ok, regardless.

God Bless!

The essence of Mary's positive response is this: God said it. She believed it. That settled it. Done deal. Amen.

What we can learn is that if God asks, we submit, and His will is accomplished.

Her response was an "informed consent" because she asked the angel what she didn't understand...pondered it...and made her decision based on God's will for her life.

When we respond to God we are consenting to His will for us...even if we don't understand it totally...and even if it doesn't make sense in the natural.

Q4. (Luke 1:38) What is the essence of Mary's positive response to the angel?

Mary was accepting the prophecy and receiving God's plan for her life in surrender to His will for her.

What can we learn from her response for our own lives?

Her unquestioning faith is so impressive. Once she'd asked how God would cause her to carry His child, she in essence said "bring it on! I'm your servant/hand maiden, I'm willing to do all that You ask." She didn't ask for guarantees that there wouldn't be pain or hardship, nor did she bargain. She simply submitted her will to God, and it seemed to be with joy and wonder, rather than with resignation.

In what sense was Mary's response an "informed consent"?

In accepting the pregnancy, she accepted the stigma which would be hers for being pregnant and though betrothed, not yet wed. She certainly knew that she would face shame and reproach, and would bring those things on her family and on Joseph as well. And yet she said "Your will be done Father, come what may." I've thought of Mary so many times as my family faced the losses and consequences of accepting God's will and Promise in our lives...she couldn't have known that her son would face crucifixion and all that He would face...but God sustained her in all of the unknowns as they were manifested.

When we respond to God, what do we consent to?

We consent to trust His superior knowledge and plan for His purposes and for our highest good, and that He will do what He has promised. We obey but He does the work and fulfilling of what He has asked us to do. And like Mary, we consent to the risks, stigma, shame, confusion, or whatever He leads us into.

I'm thankful for this study and especially this question! I said "yes", 20 years ago to God's will and promise, and like Mary was thrilled at having heard from the Lord... and though He warned that "You will go through some deep water and I don't want you to forget how much I love you"....I grow weary in the waiting, and have faced the shame of homelessness, loss of friends, community, our business, have faced pain and hardship, confusion, others ridicule and judgment, oppression...but always when I've faltered or begun to waiver, the Lord has come to reaffirm the promise and to encourage me to keep waiting for His timing. I've been struggling especially the past six months, and this study is helping me to refocus and to let go of the timing and the way He will fulfill what He has promised. As in all promises, it is impossible for it to be fulfilled apart from God's miraculous intervention and provision.

I've been reminded as I've done these questions that the crushing burden of what He has assigned to me to accomplish, is His burden, and not mine to carry. What a relief I feel today to see that, and the result is His...I'm just to show up and put the time in with my best effort and His wisdom, guidance and knowledge and the book will be what He wants it to be. Thank you Lord for this insight today!!!!

The essence of Mary's response is that she accepts that God wants to use her to bring His eartly incarnation, Jesus, into the world, and consents to her part. She shows herself to be a willing servant of God, therefore showing great faith. Her questioning of the angel's announcement, 'How will this happen?' is not a 'challenge' to God, but an innocent expression of amazement, I think both in reposonse to her wonderment at how can she have a baby without the normal human process of conception, and also, how did she come to be chosen for this greatest of honors. We should feel so honored when God asks for our consent. When we respond to God, we are consenting to accept His unconditional grace, we are granting Him the privilege of giving to us the ultimate possible gift in the universe - eternal life at His side.

• 2 weeks later...

Mary's response is one of unyielding faith. Perhaps her youth was a factor because she answers as a young child would place faith in a parent. Daddy says this will happen and so it will all be alright. She knew that she could be stoned, treated as a outcast, shame her family, and other unthinkable circumstances could come upon her as a woman who appeared to go outside of the Law. Yet, she did not worry one bit about it. She went to her aunt and sang of the wonders of God. I think Mary is a great illustration of how God wants us to respond to Him in our lives.

Mary's response was total trust. We should be just as willing to trust and obey God!

Mary accepted when she said, " Let it be as you said. I am the hand maiden of the Lord."

We consent to obeying God.

• 3 weeks later...

Her response to the angel was one of total submission to her Lord. We can learn to stand on our faith as Mary did, do not doubt or argue with the Lord. Let the Lord lead and guide us according to His will. He knows the best for us. Her consent was saying I will do as my Lord says, I believe and trust Him. When we respond to God, we are saying " as your will be done, not mine".

• 9 months later...

The Essence or make up of Mary's positive

response was this is the way God wants it

this is the way it will happen I will fully

comply to God's wishes.

We can learn that when we say yes it must

be to what God wishes not what we have in

mind to do for him. We must ask God what we

can do to fulfill the wishes he has and wants to happen today and do it without our

changing anything . Just Yes Lord and do

it.

Mary's yes was an informed consent it that

She had asked why , what will happen to me

to make this happen then She said Yes.

and allowed that to happen without saying

what will be the effect on me or what will

people think. or that will be to hard to bear.

When we respond to God, we consent to do

what we think or feel is His will for us

but... we always have a but... if it's

to hard or involves to much time etc

perhaps we won't fully comply. Our response is conditional Mary's was unconditional.

• 2 weeks later...

Gabriel approached Mary and told her she "will" conceive, so that in its self isn't a "submission" on Mary's part. God said He's going to do something...and really...Mary didn't have a choice. Mary did, however, believe Gabriel. (She submitted her heart.) She did believe Gabriel when he said God was going to do this GREAT thing to her; she had great FAITH that God would make this come about and she "chose" to trust God, that he knew what was best for her, even though she may have been worried about her life. Mary is a example of "GREAT FAITH." Gabriel spoke for God and she beleived.) Even though she didn't have a choice to become pregnant...to be a single mom so to speak...she did acknowledge that she was God's handmaid, to be used by Him as He saw fit. She didn't have a choice to submit her body but she did have a choice to submit her heart.

• 1 month later...

Mary was totally submissive to God's will regardless of the consequences. She totally trusted God for those also. We also must desire God's will for our lives in totality. Partial obedience is disobedience I have heard. I do believe God is understanding of us and very forgiving our slight hesitations and reservations, our fears and trepidations.

When we respond to God we consent to giving up our desires and plans in favor of His (which are far better). It is the only way to contentment as a follower of Christ.

If you think about Jonah, rebelling against God can leave you in a big mess. We do have a choice sometimes. Better off just to obey in the first place.

God Bless!

Jen

Numbers 6:24-26

Mary showed humility to the Lord and was ready and willing to accept what ever the Lord willed. We can learn to trust in the Lord no matter what the circumstances might be. To believe in Him, put all our faith in Him. In trusting in the Lord Mary concented willingly. I would think that back in those days it was even harder for a women to be pregnant and not be married, and try saying that God did this, but Mary did not worry about that she didn`t even hesitate for she trusted God. When we respond to God we are putting our trust in Him allowing Him to do what ever His will would be. To have His way with us. B)